Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

scorn came and went. art style was good but it didn't really go anywhere with it, just a gooey coat of paint on a series of button-pushing and lever-flipping objectives

it's also yet another one of those "hosed up little man in a hosed up big world" games where you don't really have any direction or investment, you're just trudging forward until you stop

it's basically an art demo from a dedicated team where i think ambition thoroughly exceeded their reach. there's a stretch of about 1-2 hours where you get guns and are having some challenging encounters and are thinking, "alright, this is good, i'm getting into this," and then it almost immediately ends

i'd probably have found it more memorable if they made even a vague allusion to some kind of plot, but it really is just, "mr. scorn awakens to find he's in a video game and thus embarks to complete it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lifeglug posted:

The boss can go gently caress itself though, the healing is too restricted to have "two" bosses back to back like that. I had to do the grenade launcher second boss without a single hit.

it's honestly pretty easy to go hitless on both bosses if you side strife the grenades and realize that this was where the budget probably ran out, because the grenade explosion hurtbox lingers until the entire explosion, dust particle effects and all, are over for some bizarre reason

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

al-azad posted:

My kingdom for a Prey 2006 alien world shooter.

i was really excited when scorn started showing hints of it, but it was, alas, a short lived enthusiasm

i will say that scorn is genuinely the most alien scifi setting in video games, eclipsing even the sphere, and it's such a goddamn shame that this is probably the last we'll ever hear of it. i think most people will give it a go on gamepass, it won't make up anywhere near its budget, and it'll remain as an odd relic of a more experimental time

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've been watching some footage from a Scorn playthrough, and yeah, it really does look like a lot of the kinds of wandering around and puzzle solving that I don't really like. I think I'd just constantly be lost and confused. It really does look great, though.

it's honestly a mostly linear experience aside from about an hour-ish in the middle, which is also the most combat dense section of the game by far. it becomes more painfully obvious in the final area where the biomechanical gates automatically lock behind you until you solve the local area's puzzle

veni veni veni posted:

That’s pretty much what it is though? There is very very little combat.

The game needs more and better combat or puzzles that don’t involve walking around so many empty hallways.

it really just needs more, period, to justify the $40 release price. the middle section was pretty clearly their vertical slice and investor demo, but they spent so much time and effort refining it and the overall look of the game that there seems to have been nothing left in the tank for actual content beyond that

the final area especially has a lot of seams where it's obvious that they had grander plans that got pared down to the bare minimum. it shows you incredible vistas out of its balconies and has a whole other wing that's conspicuously sealed off, and the most you get in terms of content is a boss fight against the same enemy twice in what may as well be a broom closet and a really aggravating timed section

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i think slow-paced survival horror combat is a perfect fit for the kind of style scorn is going for, but it's hamstrung by them starting you out with the world's clunkiest melee weapon and their apparent unwillingness to have monsters appearing in a dynamic and logical way, like RE zombies stumbling through windows or whatever

you do see vestiges of this in places: in the fight around the big monster before the pacman puzzle, the medium-sized dog things can actually scurry into tunnels and emerge elsewhere, which is a neat idea that's used absolutely nowhere else

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

scorn's combat was terrible but in a way i found pleasantly nostalgic, like the ps2 horror games of my childhood

it's another point of comically confused design that your primary weapon is this flintlock meat pistol that takes a good 2s to properly line up and aim, and then like 35 minutes later you get the super shotgun from doom

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

I finally remembered to go back and watch this, and man does it look good. Comparing it to the original game is also crazy - that one's still fine and looks good for the era, but boy does my memory do some work filling it in to make it look more advanced than it actually did until I see the side-by-sides.

someone in one of the videos commented something like "the remake looks like how you remember it" which is, i think, completely accurate

dead space 1 is still a hell of a technical magic trick considering they were making it run on poo poo like the OG xbox, and you can still play it today with an atmosphere that's just as effective

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i do hope that they'll be willing to break with canon for the remake and slightly adjust the opening to give the tension a bit of room to boil, because my biggest complaint with DeS1 as a horror game is that it shows its hand within, like, 3 minutes of you getting control of isaac and then you're off to the necromorph races

even a 10 minute intro/tutorial with no monsters before the big spoop would work fine, IMO

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

scorn is hands-down the most visually impressive and utterly aesthetically unique horror game out there, and probably one of the top 5 in video games in general. it's obviously drinking deeply from giger's well, but they put enough of a unique spin on their interpretation of it that it looks genuinely like nothing you've ever seen before. it also has terribly muted gameplay and a "story" so vague that even the lore youtubers that're good at weaving air into a narrative have collectively thrown their hands up over it, so the only real topics of discussion are people throwing wild theories at the wall and seeing what sticks, but that can only go so far

Mr E posted:

I'm probably going to end up watching someone play it cause the style of puzzles in the game aren't my thing but I just don't think there's much to talk about with the game due to having no text or dialogue or story to speak of.

my advice: if you've got gamepass already, give it a playthrough and look up the puzzle solutions if you hate them, because it's such a visual treat that it's worth it. if you don't have gamepass then don't spend $40+ on it and watch a let's play (i recommend ABG's playthrough, as it's nothing but pure gameplay with no annoying commentary or pointless dithering)

Vermain fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 17, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

sigher posted:

Dead Space 1 was on the 360, not Xbox.

oh yeah, my goof, thank you for catching that

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

as a denouement for scorn, there's an overly long video that delves into the artbook and makes everything about the game significantly clearer. it also goes into some more detail about planned and scrapped areas, with the general impression being that there were going to be 2-ish more levels to go through that got cut for reasons of development

the short form version of the story: "humans" in scornworld are birthed from the side of a great organic wall (which is where scorn guy emerges from, hence the umbilical cord). over time, they developed mastery over biomechanical technology and created a great industrialized civilization, with creatures like the moldmen (the egg guys you free in the first level), the dog/chicken things, and the homunculi (red jar babies) being freely used as food, parts, and workers. eventually, they became obsessed with the idea of heightening their consciousness and transcending physical limitations (with sex being considered one of these ways, hence the parasites and gently caress Palace at the end), which presumably eventually caused the world's ruling elite to ditch the physical plane and leave everything to rot and fall into decay. scorn guy is trying to make it to polis to join them, but we all know how that ends up

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

What the hell is that intro.

i muted it and skipped through it as soon as i heard the Youtube Voice and i would highly recommend anyone else do so if all you're interested in is the art and some of the text included with the book

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, I had this same thought both times I've watched chunks of a Scorn playthrough. The whole time, I'm trying to come up with some idea of what the locations would be like as real places in a functional society, but they just come across as being specifically designed to make it as obtuse as possible to get from point A to point B.

based on the art book, the first area is a kind of battery farm/parts factory for the organic elements needed for their industrialization, the second area is a crater where the "humans" of scornworld were experimenting with creating a kind of hallucinogenic meat, and the third area is their main city and home of the ruling class

the society on scornworld was supposed to be obsessed with expanding their consciousness and finding ways of making it separable from the body, but that doesn't come across strongly in the final product except in the very closing minutes

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FrostyPox posted:

I should get the artbook. I'm unsure if the flesh monstrosities are a result of their experiments gone haywire or like a mutated disease (or both).

the most likely explanation is that the majority of scornworld's society, or at least the ruling class, hosed off into some kind of purely psychic plane, with the remainder either connecting themselves to the polis mindweb or just straight up dying due to the collapse of their society. the wild mutations are likely from everything being left unattended for an uncounted period and evolving on its own

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

just posted this elsewhere but after finishing Madison i've decided i'm sick of jumpscares that come with ear-splitting BWAAAAA sounds

to paraphrase from elsewhere: horror trying to scare you with loud noises and visual startles is the equivalent of a comedian trying to make you laugh by tickling you

at this point audibly obnoxious jumpscares mostly just take me completely out of the horror, like it's such an overdone bit of nonsense that my immediate response isn't "sincere terror" but "saying 'gently caress you' to the monitor"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

When talking about scorn I don't think enough people talk about the dick sucking machine

it loses a lot of its punch when you get there by ascending the staircase that's flanked by statues of dudes riding giant biomechanical cocks

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

looks pretty loving good visually, although they need a VA that's able to sell the horror more than him going "uhh! ahh!!! uggghh!!!"

i'm fine if they wanna have a voiced protagonist, but horror especially demands that the talent punches it up or else the contrast between abject terror and flat delivery can end up deflating the tension fast

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

yeah, unreal 5 is genuinely incredible if you're aiming for photorealism. don't think the pipelines are there quite yet for behemoth AAA productions but small hobbyist games like paranormal tales can take advantage of all its bells and whistles right now

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

I never played any of the Silent Hill games myself, but the remake will probably get me to give it a try

SH1/2 are classics, though i think waiting for the remake's the best option now given how the graphics and controls haven't exactly aged gracefully

it's a shame SH1 isn't getting the remake treatment given what a landmark it was, but SH2's just stuck way more in the public consciousness

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

Amnesia Rebirth is fun enough and has a strong hook, but leans a little far into the explanatory for me

horror series have this unfortunate tendency to start getting into the weeds of their own deep lore the longer they run, and amnesia sadly doesn't seem to have avoided it

for as messy and overwrought as a machine for pigs was, i appreciated that its only connection to amnesia 1 was, "i found this weird loving orb and had a bad time," and only a little else besides

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FNaF is almost solely responsible for the "what if a child's thing but hosed Up" trend in horror games due to it being an absolute smash success made on a shoestring budget that was pushed primarily by the pewdiepies and markipliers of the world

poppy playtime is what i hope to be the nadir of this trend, which is a game that's just short enough per "episode" to be streamable and priced just low enough for kids to buy after, and whose whole presentation and underpinnings are microscopically calculated to give lore youtubers something to chew on and spit out between releases. it's utterly exhausting by every metric

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lunatic Sledge posted:

which I guess isn't really all that different from the thirty minute toy commercials we had when I was growing up, but I guess the real horror is how much things have changed without ever really changing at all; capitalism just evolves and adapts and even if you make it to outer space it just comes back as a cyborg or something

i think what's remarkable about it is that it's occurring in a marketing demographic that no one on god's green earth would've tried to sell you on with a straight face 10 years back. horror, especially actual-for-real "trying to make someone piss themselves" horror has not traditionally been the realm of, like, kids 8-14, but that's explicitly the demographic security breach seems to be aiming for. it's like beast wars if megatron had popped up to scream at the camera every second episode

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Goosebumps and Are You Afraid of the Dark predate all that though

that's a fair point, and i'm fully willing to admit my recollection of both is hazy enough that i probably unknowingly dumped them in the "more creepy than horrifying" category

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

I thought Silent Hill was in the Pacific Northwest, why would there be a civil war era prison.

the canonical silent hill is in maine so a civil war-era prison wouldn't be too out of place

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Crowetron posted:

The games never specify where Silent Hill is (at least not in the first four).

yeah, it's something you piece together almost entirely from secondary materials. i think the most direct it gets is the instruction manual for the first game stating it's somewhere in new england, but maine specifically only comes up outside the games proper

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

really appreciating that shadow of rose does what i was hoping for, where rose, on realizing that the spooky inception dream she's stuck in is drawing on her childhood trauma to torment her, just goes, "yeah, yeah, i get it. gently caress you," which is both a shockingly uncommon and entirely appropriate reaction

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

tensai posted:

Any suggestions 'easy' horror games? I don't feel like dealing with clunky or difficult combat. Maybe a horror walking sim.

look up anything made by chilla's art; they specialize in PS1-style horror walking sims of varying intensity. really excellent at building atmosphere, though be aware that there's usually at least a handful of jump scares

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

funnily enough, what turned me off of RE2R moreso than mr. x was the dynamic difficulty scaling

i dunno if it was in the original, but lickers randomly needing an extra flame round to kill for my crime of efficiently using my resources and aiming well irked me to no end. dynamically spawning in additional enemies or not spawning specific resources is one thing, but throwing off my calculations so dramatically robs a lot of what i otherwise like about survival horror's strategic side

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Yeah, games should only ever get easier if you're having trouble with them, never harder. That's just a punishment.

i actually don't mind the game finding ways to make things tougher if i'm doing well to try and maintain the tension, but "enemies invisibly take 20% more damage to kill" ain't it, especially in a genre where the fun part for me is figuring out how to squeeze the maximum value out of every bullet and grenade in my inventory

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

headshot damage in RE2R is a doubly weird case: normal headshot damage is obviously altered by the invisible difficulty modifier, but there's also a secondary "critical hit" modifier where sometimes your headshots will instantly gib a zombie and prevent them from reviving. it's extremely likely to happen if your modifier is low and almost never happens if it's maxed, although there's apparently like a 2-3 frame window when the crosshair finishes narrowing on the pistol where it drastically increases the chance of a crit regardless of the modifier

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/CallistoGameJP/status/1585390850711904257

apparently callisto protocol's so violent that CERO refused to certify it without major changes and the devs refused, so you'll have to pirate it if you're playing from japan

i've been feeling some fatigue with space sci fi featuring melty monster men, but i'm willing to give callisto the benefit of the doubt if they're this willing to stick to their guns

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

callisto is headlined by the same guy who headed dead space 1, so tactical dismemberment being a significant and unavoidable part of the gameplay loop feels highly likely and thus difficult to censor out in any meaningful way

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Morpheus posted:

I should be able to dismember things just by touching them like some Stand ability gone nuts, please video games

callisto protocol is frankly the perfect opportunity to finally give someone in a video game scar's body explosion power

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm finding it hard to take SH3 as a horror game when the enemy design is such a step back and I have a katana

i think part of the reason people remember SH2 so much as the silent hill game is because it managed to hit the nail on the head of deeply personal, introspective horror with its singular focus on james and his guilt, which was then reflected strongly in the aesthetics and mood of the setting: everything is this quiet, brooding nightmare that really hammers home the idea of james being trapped in some kind of obtuse hell of his own making, and all of the monsters are the twisted mirror reflections of his anxieties and fears. it's a perfect self-consistent package with nothing extraneous that all ties together into a neat little bow

SH1 and SH3 aren't terrible games or anything, but they are definitely on the resident evil side of the survival horror fence, where there's this extensive metaplot about shadowy supernatural forces that the game's visual design and overall vibe must contort to meet. i think SH3 is maybe better about this than SH1 in parts, but that comes more from it aping the wildly successful design of SH2 than with any particularly unique flourishes, and the far more bildungsroman-esque plot of heather's growth as a young woman doesn't add to the tension in the same way that james' personal journey of self-resolution does. SH2 really was bottled lightning that the devs could never quite get the cork back on

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Montague Tigg posted:

Callisto Protocol is out on Friday and I'm loving hyped

praying my new rig actually arrives in time to be able to play it by then. extremely eager to see what glen and his team have cooked up this time

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dogstile posted:

Re6 is the only game in the series that I turned off after two hours and wondered what the gently caress they were thinking.

we never would've gotten RE7 if its predecessor hadn't been such a monumental turd, which is probably the kindest thing that can be said about it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

5 at least brought us the boulder punch meme, while 6's sole claim to fame is that it's the mainline title so aggressively bad that no one wants to talk about it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i think callisto protocol looks really loving good, especially the combat, but it's never not gonna be funny to me how so much of the monster designs and gameplay flourishes are just dead space with the serial numbers filed down

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I’m excited for the dead space remake against all odds, because of the reasons stated above and the fact that it doesn’t really need a remake all that bad. But I’ve just been impressed with what the devs have shown and talked about with it so far, so I will remain cautiously optimistic and see what people have to say when reviews roll in.

i'm ambivalent on isaac being voiced in the remake, but i understand that design trends have shifted and there's probably a desire to revamp dead space 2 if the first one hits big, so it's only a minor gripe. it otherwise looks fantastic artistically and doesn't seem to have touched the core gameplay much at all beyond modernizing the controls, which is all i could really ask for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the biggest problem with open world amnesia is that a huge amount of the atmosphere and tension from the previous games came from being stuck in an inescapable situation, and being able to skeedaddle back to the hub to try a different area if you get stuck severely undercuts that carefully curated tension

i think semi-open world can work for survival horror-leaning titles - the evil within 2, for example - but being a weaponless rat in a maze that you can back out of at any time sounds like a recipe for disaster