Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
I know what you're saying. "You're not supposed to recommend gold-rated threads!"

But you might also be saying, "I don't really like/care about the Wii U, and of the games I do care about, Wonderful 101 seems kind of anonymous." (Then my wife got me one, and that first part changed.)

And if you're like me, you probably said the latter. Even having seen videos of Wonderful 101, I didn't really get it and it didn't seem to hold my interest. But Chip Cheezum and General Ironicus do their thing on Wonderful 101 and you get cut and uncut commentary, gameplay tips, and the combination of expert play (Chip) and first-time experience (Ironicus). If you've seen their LPs, it's that usual five-star experience.

If you skipped this at first because "much as I like C&I, I don't know that I care about this game", give it a shot. What seemed like "actiony Pikmin" is maybe more like Pikmin meets Bayonetta, while Chip shows off and gets Pure Platinum on everything (EXCEPT THAT FIRST VIDEO, HA). In fact, the only reason I stopped at episode 3-1 is because they convinced me to get the game and I'd like to experience more myself! Is there a better recommendation than that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Heffer posted:

I don't disagree with you on any point, but it does seem premature to enshrine them when they're only three updates in.

Ok, you're right. I'll up the ante.

Episode 4-1 contained something I have never seen before in a Let's Play, and I'll wager that you haven't either.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Epee Em posted:

On the note of suggestions, perhaps we could include images with some of these recommendations and write them in a way that baldurk can use them as actual Featured LP blurbs on the archive?

Geop posted:

I'm pretty okay with things as-is.

What if someone were to remake your OP in this thread, add said images with links to lparchive.org/YouTube playlists where applicable, and post it here. Then if it were a nicer OP, or something more informative, you could just copy/paste it.

Alternatively, if it's too much clutter, you could roll your eyes and say "leave me alone nerds."

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Epee Em posted:

Oh, not as something to shove onto the poor guy's list of things to do, I just was under the impression that baldurk appreciated it when people provided those blurbs, either when submitting an LP to the archive or just as a contribution so he didn't have to do so himself. If that's not the case, nothing to worry about. Since we're already talking about why particular LPs are worth viewing, it seemed like a reasonable idea to make these recommendations usable on the archive if that'd be helpful. That's all, I absolutely didn't mean that as a "more work for people already doing a lot of it" thing.

Well, that's kinda why I suggested doing some of the legwork. It's no big deal, I was trying to be helpful!!!!!!

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
You know what LPs I used to love? Screenshot LPs of interesting adventure games. A couple years back, The Dark Id did a series called The Blackwell Legacy about a spirit medium and her ghost guide helping the dead be at peace and all that. It took place in New York City, and was developed by Wadget Eye Games, makers of another game with a great LP, The Shivah.

cmndstab later took up the helm and made his own Blackwell Legacy thread which covers games that TDI didn't. If you're not familiar with this series, and my last couple sentences didn't sell you, it's a game about :

Ghosts!

Demons!

Ethereal Jerks!

Danger! (Achievements!)

cmndstab also supplements things with animations and thoughts from the developer (which I love in LPs). So click that link and get to readin' if you're looking for a good time.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

slowbeef posted:

You know what LPs I used to love? Screenshot LPs of interesting adventure games. A couple years back, The Dark Id did a series called The Blackwell Legacy about a spirit medium and her ghost guide helping the dead be at peace and all that. It took place in New York City, and was developed by Wadget Eye Games, makers of another game with a great LP, The Shivah.

Also the developer, Dave Gilbert, has stopped into this completed LP and is answering questions, and I love when that happens to an LP.

ReturnOfFable posted:

Chewbot's new LP is a narrative made out of the old Microsoft dos game, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego and I would say it is the best LP on the subforum right now. Every update, Chewbot gives us clues on the case and the readers have to solve the mystery for the story to progress. If we don't, the story goes in the wrong direction. Chewbots an awesome writer and the thread is already off to a great start.

And it just started but yeah, this is something incredible. I don't really want to spoil the uniqueness of this Let's Play, but it's going to be apparent from Update 1 and so far it's only getting more interesting.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

silversatyr posted:

Okay, I shall endeavor to keep them to absolute minimum!

Don't sweat it, or a bunch of the other stuff. The "I'm a she" thing was totally reasonable, too.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Ghostwoods posted:

I could use some help here, Kojima-fans. What games should I read/watch, and in which order, to get myself somewhere up to speed?

I think the Metal Gear canon order is:

Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid 1-3
Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid 4
Peace Walker
Metal Gear Rising

I played MGS before knowing about MG2 and I wasn't too too lost. I think you can do the Solids and Peace Walker for catch up.

Twin Snakes is the same story as the original Metal Gear Solid - it's kinda like a remake. People say Twin Snakes is canonical - I don't think you really miss anything by picking one or the other. Other stuff like Ac!d and Ghost Babel is non-canon.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

HGH posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to mention it, but didn't you do LPs of this and MG2? Whatever happened to those?

In 2004, I made a "strategy guide" for MG2 for my website. It's on my computer back home. I keep forgetting to upload it.

http://web.archive.org/web/20121107223813/http://slowbeef.com/MG2/

e: holy poo poo, that was a decade ago...

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

slowfreq posted:

are there any good LPs of popular games that use a restriction rules (e.g. ocarina of time without opening any doors, mario 64 without pressing the a button)?

I think the one thing is it's hard to identify challenges that aren't one trick ponies. I was thinking of Swordless LoZ 1 (I used an initialism, am I gamer now?) but apparently a lot of it is luck manipulation and bomb farming?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Radio Talmudist posted:

Does anyone else remember Slowbeef's Metal Gear 2 Let's Play? It was very funny and hosted on a site that now seems defunct (slowbeef.com I think?). I'm trying to find a mirror.

I have it local (ripped from the web archive, actually) and just have to fix all the links on my new site ever since some domain squatting dude grabbed my old one. :(

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
I really want to make an abridged version to pick up the people who were turned off by the length. The payoff is pretty great.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
If you like hosed up adventure games, holy poo poo, corn in the bible's Jack Orlando thread is right up your alley. It's kind of mind boggling and this is coming from someone who watched an LP and playthrough of Hopkins FBI.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Zain posted:

If you have to read the text just give a summary of it. "Oh hey there's someone else here." Like that's not a bad thing to do.

I kinda "skim" it if I can. Truthfully, I think like 90% of people who watch LPs (not here) just do it in the background and tune back in when something interesting sounding happens.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

anilEhilated posted:

Slowbeef recently finished one on his youtube channel. Not sure how you'd define skilled but he gets, uh, less bad at the game eventually?

I really would hesitate to recommend it as skilled. It's more a "first time" experience, IMO. Although I still maintain the arrow trap thing was pretty sweet.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Niggurath posted:

And slowbeef did an alright stream of the first half of The Fall

Thanks for reminding me, I do have the second half but I never published it. Will do so today.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Orv posted:

Unlike Geop and Kay, Slowbeef is about as competent as a blind, quadriplegic, fingerless baboon, so there's a reason it's 100 videos long. Which, personally speakibg, is only balanced by the funny for so long.

I actually did about as well as Kay in some parts of Demon's (see speedrun method in arrow trap) and managed a few of the really tough BB bosses on early tries. I also did the Chalice Dungeons before NG+

In fact, if you'd like, I'll do PvP and you can put your money where your mouth is. I make no secret that I'm "not good at video games" but I am probably better than you at Bloodborne.

edit: But my videos are not at all good for learning lore.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Orv posted:

Oh poo poo, video game callouts. :nallears:

Oh don't give me that - you're the one who said I was bad at the game. I am serious, you're more than welcome to shut me up. I don't think "let's play PvP" is a big callout, but whatever.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 3, 2016

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Orv posted:

I watched the first four episodes and they sucked enough that I didn't watch the rest, and that was the opinion I stated.

In the most respectful way I can put it, re-read your replies in this thread and see if that jives.

Anyway, if it's a big deal, we don't have to play video games, it's fine. TastefulDickpic has the orig question covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Orv posted:

I can look into reupping for a month, if you really care.

I don't. We don't have to make a big thing out of it and the rest of this post is just intended to be funny. I know maybe I look defensive (to be fair, I am defending myself), but I'm seeing the convo as:

"Hey does anyone have any recommendations for a lore-heavy blind Bloodborne experience?"

"No, but while we're here, slowbeef is about as good at playing Bloodborne as one would be by mashing Helen Keller's dead face into a Dual Shock 4. You might as well have an epileptic walrus's brainwaves hooked up to a Geiger counter as input to the PS4 and see that defeat Cleric Beast; it'd be about the same! He is as good at Bloodborne as necrotizing fasciitis is bad for cake topping."

"Okay, let's play PVP."

"Whoa! Dude, can you calm down?"

But, I'm being snarky here. No hard feelings, I just thought it was funny.