Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Not a life hack but this thread reminds me of Sandra Lee's loving Kwanzaa cake https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we2iWTJqo98

(edit)

And the Hanukkah cake with the $1 store pearls. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj89Ax60DEI

13Pandora13 has a new favorite as of 02:14 on Jul 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Tea Party Crasher posted:

http://youtu.be/oM2PwriqOjc

Here's one great cosmo technique. (skip to 2:30). Every man deserves to be grapefruited.

Dude there's only 3 pages in this thread, really?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Fragrag posted:

Ok, I have to ask, is salt automatically added to fries? Here in Belgium, McDonalds and other fast food chains stopped putting salt on their fries several years ago. Instead, customers grab a small packet of salt to sprinkle.

It's applied as the fries come out of the oil (so it sticks better) in the US. With a giant salt shaker. It comes out in visible levels, it's an ungodly amount of salt.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

finalellipsis posted:

lifehack: someone did something

While this may be true, there's several companies that make beach accessible specialty wheelchairs for exactly that purpose.

Lifehack: DiY something for probably close to the same cost as one that is specially designed for beach usage and built by professionals!

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Haha so now your argument is what, that "Cooking Wine" is a varietal? I sincerely hope you're like nineteen. I'd be put off by how smug you are if it wasn't so goddamn cute. Please never serve adults your cooking.

I'm not sure why you're being such an rear end in a top hat about this, but if a recipe calls for "dry white wine," and you don't like dry white wine, it's entirely possible you'll have wine leftover you have no interest in drinking.

Also, I'm not going to use a bottle of say, the Del Dotto clay cask Red Zin in my cooking, because that's loving ridiculous when an $11 bottle of decent but not as good will do just fine.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Then don't cook things with ingredients you don't like, genius. Or if there's a gun to your head about it for some reason, use decent wine and give the leftovers to someone who likes it. You can namecheck wines you googled while typing up your posts all you want, you're still the guy who's arguing for dumping Hobo's Choice into food you intend for people to eat and getting mad that everyone else isn't impressed by you.

:psyduck: It was just an example because it's what I'm drinking tonight, if I were going to "namecheck" I'd name something more than like $50.

Also, not sure if you're aware, but something being cooked with white wine doesn't taste the same as drinking a glass of white wine. Wine wine in poultry dishes isn't an uncommon thing.

It's glorious you think you're the only person in this thread who knows anything about wine or cooking.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Lotish posted:

Just use the juice from a jar of pickles!

Ugh, that reminds me of all the questionable at best Chik-fil-a copycat recipes that went around during the whole anti-gay boycott.

Chicken pretty much never needs a tablespoon of powdered sugar, IMHO.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Says the guy arguing on behalf of cooking wine. Like, can you not tell that everyone else is laughing at you about this, or are you just rationalizing it to yourself somehow? Absolutely no one is falling for your attempts to look like a knowledgeable chef or wine-drinker.

I'm not arguing on behalf of (overly salted, poo poo quality) cooking wine, I'm arguing on behalf of it being 100% reasonable for you to have wine just for cooking that you are unwilling to drink.

I'm not trying to impress anybody, you're just coming off as really hostile for something that isn't unreasonable at all. Your responses to me have only made your attitude more apparent.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

This sounds like a really great way to gently caress up your face:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Loomer posted:

what in the flying gently caress am I even looking at?

Someone too lazy to use a knife who really likes large mouthfuls of mustard and ketchup at different times.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Franzia bro, 'cause then I can just pop the leftover in a can or the ragu spaghetti sauce jar I used to make my goonfeast.

(edit)

Also that's the best lifehack, just FYI.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

cthulhoo posted:

Lifehacks: when spending literal seconds to wash a loving plate after eating like a normal human being is just too much :effort:.

While I was in college my parents switched to paper plates unless company was over because they didn't want to rinse dishes and load/unload the dishwasher. I came home for break and didn't even know what the gently caress.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Plinkey posted:

You're in luck, just cut the ends off a whisk and put some little rubber things on them.

Lifehack: cut the ends off of a whisk and melt down something rubber to DiY something you can literally buy at the Dollar Tree.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Pocket Billiards posted:

Making a taco in a chip packet is the single most stupid thing I've ever read, if it is genuine.

Are you seriously going to walk down the street or drive in your car with a warm foil packet full of salsa, greasy mince, tomato, sour cream, etc? And then what, stick your fingers in the loving thing and scoop it all out?

Walking tacos! But yeah you use a fork. They're disgusting.

My elementary school did them too and I couldn't even watch other people eat them, it looked too much like a bag of vomit. I think this type of poo poo is banned from schools now (thank god) but people still make them and get them from food carts. It has to be a nostalgia thing because there's literally 100s of better things you can get from a food truck nowadays.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Little people maybe? That looks...weird.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

GelatinSkeleton posted:

I, personally, use a knife to cut pizza because I don't own a pizza cutter and also because I am a normal human being.

Wait, why is using a pizza cutter - a tool designed exclusively for the purpose of cutting a loving pizza - more weird than using a knife? I would think scissors are more common/normal than a knife.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

No no, the entire pizza.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Non Serviam posted:

Even then it'd be a stupid idea, since you can't have open containers in your car... Or be without your seat belt

There's lots of places non-drivers can drink in a car, and cars have more than one seatbelt.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

cobalt impurity posted:

I took driver's ed through a summer course my school district provided. It was two gym coaches teaching a class of 50-70 people over 2 weeks. They said day 1 they were going to teach parallel parking because it's not on the test for our state. I've been driving for like 12 years and I still don't know how to do it.

#lifehack: never park on the street, even if it means walking several blocks further, because you were never taught a basic driving skill.

I'm pushing 30 and I have not successfully parallel parked since somehow miraculously doing it on my driving test.

#lifehack just pay for valet. gently caress parallel parking forever.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Abroad almost nobody took Amex in France when I was there a couple months back. I don't run into a lot of places in the states that don't but it happens on occasion, mostly at small locally owned businesses who don't want to pay the fees for it.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

SLOSifl posted:

I boil all my dildos in a bit of white wine, some onion, celery, carrot and salt, with water to cover, and then reduce it into a demiglace. From there it can be decanted onto the floor to be licked off like an animal you piece of poo poo.

I knew exactly where this was headed and it was still a great payoff.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

pack it yo posted:

Yeah. It's hemp wick, which is supposed to taste much better than a butane lighter flame.

Hemp Wick even makes a lighter holder roll so they solved a problem the manufacturer had already figured out.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Non Serviam posted:

I don't smoke weed or tobacco. Can you explain why the zippo was bad for weed?

Liquid lighter fluid tastes like buttholes.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

death .cab for qt posted:

They didn't even cook the garlic. Cooking the garlic slightly by, say, melting the butter in a saucepan with all the garlic minced and tossed in would a actually get that sweet garlic flavor in the butter. As it is they just have raw garlic in melted butter. :mad:

You want real garlic bread strips? Cut that loaf into actual strips, make better garlic butter, brush it on individual strips, and bake. Sprinkle on shredded cheese during the last 5 minutes of baking. Just as simple, but it isn't half-assed garlic bread with the same amount of effort

Uh raw minced garlic with olive oil and some melted butter on fresh bread is loving delicious. The salad and tiny rolls with olive oil and garlic are like the best thing at Provino's (a local GA Italian chain).

Not that this abortion of a "hack" would compare, but you really don't have to cook garlic for it to be good, it's an entirely different flavor profile.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

ONE WEIRD TRICK you can get super cheap furniture with crackhead paintjobs at thrift stores and garage sales and often strip away the paint to reveal high grade wood underneath because people are retarded as gently caress.

People will take $10,000 antique solid walnut tables and cover it with pastel pink paint and think "wow this looks great!" and then a few years later it's in somebody's garbage.

I have a pair of solid white mahogany end tables that have been in my family for four generations now. There's at least five coats of crappy paint on them, and at least one is lead based so I can't power sand. :negative: One of my dream projects once I have space to do it is strip them and put on a nice, quality clear finish because goddamn why did, "let's paint this!" ever come into play.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

Life hack: use convenient materials regardless of how much they gently caress up the next generation.

Two pages ago now, sorry, but this was part of my concern, not just for my own health but environmental contamination. But I do appreciate all the additional tips (that were not, in fact, stupid life hacks but actual solid advice), I know nothing about furniture restoration and I do want to do it correctly and not like some lovely "country chic" mess that seems to be popular with furniture DiYers.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I just got that Loch Ness Monster ladle.

It is two bucks with free shipping. The free shipping takes several months but I can wait.

http://www.everbuying.net/product1104331.html

Even free shipping from China mine only took like a week, week and a half to arrive.

It's so loving great.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

nimby posted:

If you put everything in the fridge, you'll know where to look.

Life Hack: keep all your belongings in a pile, so you'll know where they are.

This is a better idea than you think it is. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/16/style/keeping-your-car-safe-from-electronic-thieves.html?_r=0

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

simplyhorribul posted:

TBH, it would be nice to have some sort of a gathering thingie attached to the grater. At least I never been able to grate so that I can get all the grated cheese to a cup or whatever the gently caress I have under the grater and then I have to eat the rest from the kitchen surfaces and the floor. Like an animal.

My brother picked me up something from the Korean grocery store he works at that's a grater than snaps on to a tupperware like container, snaps off for cleaning, and also has a lid for the container for if you grate extra cheese. It's loving great and I think it was like $5.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Haaaaa :iamafag:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

simplyhorribul posted:

Is it seriously that big thing in US? I mean, here where they have free dental health care till you turn 15, braces aren't really the thing that thrives dental health industry.

We have an unusual obsession with straightness and whiteness in America.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Bertrand Hustle posted:

What kind of person goes camping somewhere where it's easier to find Doritos than wood?

Detroit?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Bees on Wheat posted:

One of my earliest memories is of a time I went on a day trip to the city with my parents. Had a fancy dinner in Chinatown, probably did some other touristy things, gently caress if I know. My most vivid memory of the entire night was taking a bath when I got home and vomiting strawberry ice cream into a trashcan. I don't even remember getting ice cream.. just it coming back up, and thinking it tasted exactly the same as it did going down.

Lifehack: build lasting memories by being violently ill! :sigh:

What up, early childhood vomit trauma buddy.

When I was 3-4, my parents took me to Olive Garden (we were hella broke back then so Olive Garden was a big deal) and let me have all the breadsticks my tiny fists could jam into my mouth. Needless to say I ate way to goddamn many, self control isn't really like a thing for toddlers, and made it to the parking lot before launching and absolute cannon of pink vomit (breadsitcks + marinara) onto myself, the side of the car, inside of the car, and my poor mother. I was wearing a blue dress, black shoes, and white socks. It is one of my earliest memories and to this day I can't go back to Olive Garden, I think I'll have some kind of Pavlov's dog response if I eat anything.

13Pandora13 has a new favorite as of 02:26 on Apr 21, 2016

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

The best part of this is that whoever drew this one up clearly never tried this themselves. Or they'd understand just why the medical community so strongly recommends a flared base.

Another good one:

Glue tools in your pubes!

People smuggle un-flared base poo poo in their assholes all the time dude. It's not ideal but being in a torture prison isn't either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Hirayuki posted:

Shoe-tying was a big part of kindergarten for my son, like the times tables were in third grade. You had to get that poo poo down.

But they still teach cursive at his school, too, so :shrug:

It's easier for dyslexic kids to learn to write and read in cursive.

A shitload of primary source historical documents are in cursive, and your kid should be able to read them.

It helps develop fine motor skills.

It looks baller as hell if you've got good cursive handwriting.