Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

MonkeyforaHead posted:

So... anybody have impressions? My "buy" finger is getting twitchy but that price point is enough to stall me until I get a better picture.
It's an early alpha. Buying at this point is to support the devs and give feedback as the game evolves. It is not worth money if you want an actual game at this point.

I bought it already for the first reasons but I'm guessing you're looking for a more complete experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Phenotype posted:

$50? The DLC seems important judging by the Divinity thread title
No the DLC isn't important at all it's just some extras that you could get during the kickstarter. I guess they just have it for completeness sake. Your game won't suffer from not having it.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Delusibeta posted:

And now all of Ubisoft's future games has disappeared from the Steam store here in the UK. Guess they inked a new exclusivity deal with Game or something.
This kind of thing is just mindbending to me. Yesterday I walked by a Game and there was no PC section at all in it. Last time I actually went into a Game looking for PC games it was down to like 3 small shelves in the farthest corner.

Why would Game even care about Steam when they don't really carry PC games in their brick and mortar stores anymore anyway?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Gunpoint Get on this game
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=yvxxK6ezAA8s2Svb

Papers, Please. Drifter actually gave this to me as a gift a few days ago so here's my chance to pay it forward.
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=HurK2wbwHrCF8Dmc

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I really enjoyed DmC but even I have to agree it has one of the worst stories I've ever encountered in a game. I'd say Heart of the Swarm beats it by a hair but my god is it bad.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

The White Dragon posted:

Or just always play on Easy or Normal, nobody gives a gently caress :v:
Seriously. Normal is 'I just want to chill and shoot aliens without worrying about balancing everything' It's perfectly acceptable to play and enjoy that. The only problem is it is a bad mode to ease you into the harder ones. If you're looking to start at normal and later play the harder ones you do have to unlearn bad habits and might as well just go straight to classic.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Cathair posted:

I just wish there was an option to play with the enemy stats and other benefits of Normal, but with the full AI of Classic and above. The restricted AI is what becomes boring the quickest on Normal and also the single biggest obstacle to transitioning to harder modes, since it will allow you to do dumb things with fewer repercussions.

The Long War mod on the easiest difficulty pretty much fills this niche, and gives you a lot more toys to play with as well. Be prepared to look up info/advice on a few obtuse new mechanics, but the mod's few downsides really aren't bad unless you're playing on higher difficulties.
Never messed with Long War but if all you want to do is paste normal alien stats to Classic you can do that pretty easily with resource hacker. Heck I'd do it for you but I doubt you'd want to download an .exe from a random goon.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Great. FF4 was my absolute favorite game as a kid. I'd love to see an updated version.

vvv I meant on the PC. I don't really play on any other platform anymore.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Sep 17, 2014

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Sober posted:

What the gently caress Wasteland 2 is coming out tomorrow too? But I can download it now anyway, is that just still the beta/early access version I never played? Not sure if I should just download it now and wait and grab the download for the full version or just wait for tomorrow when they switch it over.
If you have the beta downloaded already it will patch up to the full version. So if you want it as fast as possible you should download the beta now.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Zorato posted:

Somebody tell me Defense Grid 2 is good so that I can buy it thanks
I'm only about 5 maps or so in but it's just more Defense Grid with less interesting resource management (no interest from saved money). And seemingly slightly harder in general.

I'm enjoying it but I did the kickstarter so I basically got it for free (I assumed I'd never see more than the X-pack for my $15 or whatever it was I donated).

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
So aside from the general JRPG hate how is FFXIII? I stopped playing the series at FF7 and was always curious about picking up one of the newer ones.

I'm ok with it being fairly linear (though I hear it's pretty much one long hallway? Is this accurate?) As long as the combat is fun.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Ok thanks for the replies on FFXIII. Maybe if it comes up in a deep sale or something.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Even without the Nemesis system it'd still be a rock solid beat'em up Batman in Middle Earth game. That extra layer adds a ton of personality to the game though. Just all the little details of walking around hearing Orcs comment on things you've done and are doing is just amazing.

^If Nuuvem is out GMG with the 25% voucher would be my next guess. That or someone like Captain Inviticus who'll give you 15% off the Steam price at the very least.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
A little late for all the FF chat but I picked it up for like $2 after my playfire credit. Probably still wasted my money but hey I was still curious about the game and it's not too big a price to pay.

Kinda blurry on my screen hopefully those fan patches people are working on will make the resolution actually work. I'm still playing through Shadows of Mordor so it's not like I'm in a hurry to get to it.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
If your game is only scary because it screws up your progress you don't have a very good horror game.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Here's why checkpoints without QS are (usually) terrible.

Say there's a very atmospheric section of the game (or difficult if we're talking about a game that's not horror). You give it a few tries and eventually get past it. Right past that point there's a difficulty spike. You die. Now you go through the same section only you know everything in advance and do it much quicker. You die again at the difficulty spike. So now you're tired and pissed that you have to go through the same section AGAIN before attempting the part you're struggling with. The atmosphere is dead as you're just plowing through that part. It's stupid and tedious now instead of tense and exciting.

So what's the answer? Checkpoints before each challenge? All you're doing then is signposting your difficulty spikes making the game predictable. Your other choice? Checkpoints all the time everywhere so what's the point in not having a QS anyway?

It's a bad system that some people seem to have some weird need to defend. A few months ago I was playing a checkpoint game where there was a really long hard section that was exactly the situation I was talking about above. I got all the way through it finally only to have a checkpoint hit at the exact moment an enemy spotted me. My playthrough was hosed unless I reset the whole chapter and not only having to re-do the pain in the rear end section but alot of unskippable cutscenes and other nonsense.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't think Checkpoints are impossible to make well but they nearly never are and the few times they are it's a case of Darksouls where it's just part of the gameplay or indistinguishable from when I'm just allowed to save at will anyway. You have to have a designer that has tuned it perfectly and it's a waste of effort when there's a simpler solution out there.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Palpek posted:

The game isn't only scary because of the saving system, I don't know what rear end the guy who posted about it pulled this from.
Are you talking about my post? If so I was directly replying to someone snidely claiming that another poster didn't understand the concept of horror games if he was pro-quicksaves which was a retarded post.

I have nothing to say about the new Alien game specifically as I've never played it.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

less of this disingenuous poo poo please, you know what I mean, don't be dumb.
But here's the thing not everyone is like you. I sometimes play hardcore Characters in DIII and I used to play the difficulty level that didn't allow saves on Blood Money just because occasionally I'd enjoy the extra risk of losing gameplay time. Which is all you lose ever. It's not scary in the sense that horror games are going for. If a game is going to scare me it will be because I'm in a scary situation not a 'drat I'm going to have to replay that section' type of tension.

Obviously you process these as the same thing which is fine nobody cares if that's how you enjoy it. Your inability to accept that others don't process that tension in that way and would rather have a convenient feature is the problem here.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Deakul posted:

So, Godus for $3 on GMG.

I hear it has free to play facebook game mechanics like having to wait real time hours or days for stuff to happen.
I just want a relaxing god game where I can build a town and sculpt stuff without worrying about too much, will it deliver or is it as lovely as it sounds?

edit: Just realized they released an expansion for the game when it isn't even out of early access yet, uhh... well there's my answer I suppose. :shrek:
I'm really really easy to please when it comes to games and even I think Godus is poo poo and a waste of money. It's a weird case of an early access game I actually liked better before they patched it into a 'better' game because it made me realize they had no idea how to actually make it fun.

Unless something amazing happens to it during development it's a bad game that's constantly going in the wrong direction.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Quest For Glory II posted:

The AI is cheap, and the Disguise system is flat out broken. On Easy difficulty (where the Instinct system, aka "Get Out Of Being Recognized Free Card", recharges), I had to use-- and hold down-- the Instinct button CONSTANTLY just to get anywhere. It feels kind of like you're being punished for trying to be stealthy, which makes no sense. If the disguise system wasn't broken, this would be a much more playable game, with the caveat of a story that seems cruel towards women and is full of dumb "AAA game" bullshit.
The disguise system isn't broken it's just the game does a terrible job of explaining it to you. When someone starts to notice you you're supposed to tap instinct, turn your back on them and nip around a corner (or sadly go into cover behind a table). If they can't see your face they pretty quickly lose interest in you. You also need to pick the disguise of the type of NPC you want to avoid. In a place filled with guards you want to be a maintenance man. In a place full of maintenance men you want to be a guard. It's amazing to me how many people seemed to have problems with it which does point to bad design in the game I suppose. I did manage to beat every level in that game in the hardest difficulty without being spotted.

Can't argue at all about the story though. They tried for american grindhouse but it just comes off as bad in a bad way not in a funny way.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

duckfarts posted:

GMG doesn't let you buy multiples(you can only buy 1 per account) and blocks some regions(:argh:) anyway, so there are roadblocks on this plan to becoming an Internet CelebrityTM.
Pretty sure they lifted the one copy of each game limit a long time ago.

Has anyone tried recently?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Ghostlight posted:

Yes! That's right! Literally balance Molyneux's lovely half-implemented game for him.
I wonder how shocked he's going to be when 90% of the adjustments are 'remove the endless bullshit timers on everything so I can play the game at a reasonable pace'.

Also too bad there won't be an adjustment that says 'follow the clear path I made for you instead of walking to the other side of the mountain and complaining about the cliffs'

A convert this game to Populous button would be nice as well.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

ImPureAwesome posted:

Is there any doublefine charm in spacebase at all?
It's a perfectly good demo of a game that could have been.

It's not worth any amount of money though. It has less actual gameplay than your average Free to Play game. I actually kinda admire the balls on them charging for it still.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Hav posted:

Will Wright is forever on my shitlist for Spore. The hype-train was ridiculous and ended up with molyneux-esque 'yeah, you can do that' for pretty much everything.
The worst thing is you occasionally hear little snippets about how half the team wanted the game to be more complex and have creature design actually matter where the other half the team and the publisher wanted a more casual The Sims experience.

It's a drat shame that the muddled mess we ended up with could have been a much better game.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Deakul posted:

Oh yeah, I actually have this but haven't tried playing it seriously yet.
Are any of the classes more fun to start out with? I played as the default Hunter class or whatever it was and it felt kind of boring and unsatisfying.
Most classes in DIII need about 30ish levels before you start to get some interesting builds. I'd say Demon Hunter is one of the worst for this along with Wizard.

Good thing is you only need to level each class once as you can always switch around your build on the fly if you see some more interesting skills you want to try out.

Make sure you start on hard (not normal it's pointless) and blow through the story mode as fast as you can so you can unlock adventure mode. Good thing is though for a few more days your XP is doubled for Halloween (on top of the difficulty XP bonus) so you should be able to level a couple of characters very quickly and find what you like.

If you're looking for Goons to play with make sure you join the community LLJK and the guild. You'll probably want to start a seasonal character as well because there's currently a slight majority of goons playing seasons and as you're starting fresh anyway it won't matter to you.

Edit: oh and I'll happily powerlevel you if I'm on and that's your thing. Darkhold#1887

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 1, 2014

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Crashbee posted:

Deakul was talking about Van Helsing, for which I'd suggest starting off as a mechanic.
Erm whoops. Guess my reading comprehension is pretty bad today.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Fuligin posted:

I'm in the mood for a city builder, what are people's thoughts on Banished and Anno 2070?
Two very excellent but very different games.

Banished is a pretty simple (in theory) village simulator with no tech tree so you can build anything you want if you have the materials. The challenge is mostly about building a population up without triggering a death spiral. A couple of games you'll have figured it out and it'll just be a nice chill building game.

Anno is all about supply lines and getting resource A to point B before your city starts to run out and collapse. The combat is total poo poo and should be avoided as much as possible IMO. More about exploration and figuring out most efficient routes for your goods/services.

You really can't go wrong with either. I got more playtime out of Anno I think but I recommend both.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

il serpente cosmico posted:

Sounds like cookie clicker with a better UI.
Well of course. Planning a city, building trade routes, expanding into more and more territory is exactly the same as a game where you just hit a single button endlessly while buying upgrades.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
In the UK at least you can still just order the physical copy from Amazon and get it for £39

It's the exact same story as Origin. For some reason the digital copy is way more than the boxed copy you can order, register and toss.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Deakul posted:

Well, ok, I was just recommended to start with hard on my first play through.
I've got so many hours with Diablo 2 that it's embarrassing so I wasn't sure.

So, I think going up to Master should be good then.
It varies a bit depending on class but here's a quick breakdown
Normal: Crazy easy. Pointless unless you're using it to grind something out.
Hard: pretty much 'normal' difficulty. You have to pay a little attention to gear/build but not much.
Expert: you have to stay on top of the gear curve or have a few legacy items/paragon levels. Not because you'll die but because monsters will take forever to kill.
Master: Without decent gear and legacy items/paragon levels everything takes too long to kill and this is the first level that will really punish you for lack of gear by killing you.
Torment 1: This is the start of the endgame.

Hitpoints inflate way more than damage in this game so time to kill is a bigger deal than getting one shot by mobs in the lower levels.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 8, 2014

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Deakul posted:

Ugh, I was afraid of that.
loving hate bullet sponges, it seems like such a cheap way to inflate difficulty.
In this case they actually have a reason. They decided making people focus on DPS instead of tanking would make the game funner than *dump everything into VIT* problem DII had. So upping difficulty will make the monster's HP go up fast. Here's the old chart (not sure if it's been tweaked by patches or not).

Normal: 100% Health, 100% Damage, 0% extra gold bonus, 0% extra XP bonus
Hard: 200% Health, 130% Damage, 75% extra gold bonus, 75% extra XP bonus
Expert: 320% Health, 189% Damage, 100% extra gold bonus, 100% extra XP bonus
Master: 512% Health, 273% Damage, 200% extra gold bonus, 200% extra XP bonus
Torment I: 819% Health, 396% Damage, 300% extra gold bonus, 300% extra XP bonus
Torment II: 1311% Health, 575% Damage, 400% extra gold bonus, 400% extra XP bonus
Torment III: 2097% Health, 833% Damage, 550% extra gold bonus, 550% extra XP bonus
Torment IV: 3355% Health, 1208% Damage, 800% extra gold bonus, 800% extra XP bonus
Torment V: 5369% Health, 1752% Damage, 1150% extra gold bonus, 1150% extra XP bonus
Torment VI: 8590% Health, 2540% Damage, 1600% extra gold bonus, 1600% extra XP bonus

Leveling up to 70 is where the real difficulty curve is. Elites will get more affixes and abilities and become the real bosses of the game.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Deakul posted:

Holy crap, can't believe gold and xp go up instead of down, I would think you'd get to 70 pretty quick at that rate?
If you have someone that can carry you in T6 you can hit 60 in roughly an hour and 70 in about 1 1/2 hours or so.

If you've already gotten yourself some good legacy gems and paragon levels you can solo T1 and get there in about 4-5 hours though 65-70 is a painful slog no matter what. No good gear and you know you'll be trashing anything you get the first 70 drops you see.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Kin posted:

He's not wrong about how they're perceived though.

Starcraft/Warcraft/Diablo set them as a legendary company, but their modern sequels haven't generally been considered up to the same standard as the pedestaled originals.
This is the same song you always hear about long running companies though. Heck I've heard it for decades now.

Starcraft? Pfft just Warcraft 2 in space. They're losing their edge.
DII? Just not as good as DI.
Warcraft III? God they suck now. Why aren't they making Starcraft 2?
World of Warcraft? OMG! They'll never make another singleplayer game again.
Starcraft 2? Multiple building select??? They've ruined the micro game. It's just for casuals now.
DIII? This game is so boring! DII is the superior game. Let me get out this flowchart to explain why...

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying they're not flawed and certainly each of these games have huge glaring insane issues but right now there's some other 13 year old that's just fired up DIII for the first time and 10 years down the line will explain to you in great detail about how DVII shows that Blizzard just isn't the same company anymore and games were better back in '14.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Nobody has ever said these things.
I dunno why you'd say that when I remember it from message boards back in the day. There was even some amusing posts on SA where people went and dug up some old DII posts from various boards ranting about how DII destroyed the series. It was interesting to see how close some of the same complaints were just the same old complaints with a new coat of paint.

As for Starcraft you do know when it was first debuted everyone said that it was just Warcraft in space and was so disliked that Blizzard scraped the original engine right? Even after release people were still leveling that complaint against it. There's even an easter egg in Brood War where (Arturus? whatever his name was) will say 'It's not Warcraft in space! It's much more complicated than that!'

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Hang me over an acid bath and I'll offer you whatever the hell you want.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I just knew this thread would be flooded with keys. Oh well if someone still wants Insurgency

https://www.humblebundle.com/?gift=Pu5bKTDNTdbEUVeH

help me unlock my extra game please.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Those went quick. Well here's a few games I doubt I'll ever play so you guys might as well

Grid 2 https://www.humblebundle.com/?gift=Pu5bKTDNTdbEUVeH

Euro Truck 2 https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=GEzc3x5Ye8H7ZVWu

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Is the story worth paying attention to? I've only been able to play it inbetween toddler meltdowns so I've been skipping past the cut scenes so I get a chance to play the actual missions.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Xander77 posted:

Wasn't Tomb Raider supposed to be a disappointment on-par with Bioshock:Infinity?
Well it is a disappointment on par with Bioshock in that 90% of the people really loved it but the 10% that hate it really really hate it.

Both are good games. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Tafferling posted:

Has Banished become a finished game or is it stuck at "good enough" level?
Someone already replied but yeah it's always been a finished game. I wouldn't say it was for everyone but it's very solid for what it is.

• Locked thread