Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Then why does it have a telephone number huh smart guy?

Anroid (lol) tablets recieve sms apparently

steve has decreed that a tablet should not sms therefore the problem is you. u need to fix the problem that makes you want sms on your tablet.

just kidding, an android tablet would suit your needs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

NZ POS does Vodafone even do like just mobile data plans anymore? It all seems to be this overpriced RED plans.

Something else that the anroid (lol) tablets do that the iPad doesn't do is work as a telephone as well therefore I have no use for "free" minutes.

ask on geekzone john from vodafone will jump to your aid. i work at a different telco sorry :P

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

computer toucher posted:

all my home stuff has gradually been switched to apple products, but I want to repurpose an old thinkpad x201 lappetoppe to make a pfsense firewall. any suggestions as to how to add a NIC to it? It has a pcmcia port and also spare usb ports. only 1 built in ethernet. maybe do some link aggregation with an 4G modem and my ADSL possibly?

You can get a an Ethernet hub same as a usb hub. They r called switches now though. Pfsense /openwrt probably do link aggregation without too much sperging

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

computer toucher posted:

ok so if I get a switch and plug the laptop, my modem and my airport all on it I can use pfsense to configure it so that all the traffic goes from modem to pfsense and then to airport (and back ofc)? how much loving about would that be and does the switch need to have some features that I need to look for?

see i don't have a very strong cj background so this is a seriousquestion.

It wouldn't be hard to do this and you could use a dumb switch for it. IF you trust your network. If you want it to be secure then you would have to fux with vlans and make sure the switch enforced those measure.

like you can just set up dhcp on the pfsense and that will set up everything on the lan to go to there, and disable dhcp on the modem / airport and set up those 2 and pfsense with static ips, set the pfsense's wan etc.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

obstipator posted:

i dont like the magic trackpad. i had it 2 jobs ago and it made my hand cramp up

my labtop's trackpad thing supports 2 finger scrolling which is pretty rad, but i just plug in a regular mouse all the time so i never even use it

now that i think about it, is there any benefit of magical trackpads over a mouse + mousewheel?

get a logitech mouse. they are nice, not too dear, good for big hands. like a G600 or something

also lol if u use a trackpad of any kind by choice O_o

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

anthonypants posted:

can't wait for apple to discover trackballs so all the apple fans can poo poo themselves over how amazing trackballs are. lol

just wait till they find out they can put 2 buttons on a mouse!

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

so i have a domain, and i want to get a cheap vps so i can put up random poo poo. I dont want to run a game server or anything and i dont expect much traffic. and i dont need to torrent with it.

would it be all good to get something like this?

https://portal.catalysthost.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0 KVM in Dallas, 1 CPU | 512mb | 20gg | 3TB bw | 1 IPv4 | 12 IPv6 | $30/year

or this for $10 a year:

https://my.crissic.net/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0
2 CPU cores
256MB RAM
256MB vSwap
50GB HDD space
1TB traffic
1Gbps uplink
1x IPv4
16x IPv6
OpenVZ/SolusVM
$10/year

or $5 a year in sydney? might be best bet, cheapest and closest to me
https://secure.ransomit.com.au/console/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0
Sydney, Australia 100 mbit 50 GB 128 MB 2 GB SSD

these are probably all overkill, just wanna run maybe nginx, and some internet facing services behind it. (python app? java app? lovely "blog"?)
is 128mb ram going to be too little?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

probably

don't rent a server unless it's generating revenue

put your static files on s3 because it's stupid cheap, and put your dumb apps that nobody will use on heroku because it's free

Did not know about heroku. Looks like a better idea

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

there is a lot less compression on 5ghz

um, what?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

agreed

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Panty Saluter posted:

i recently found that turning one antenna 90 degrees opposed to the other improved throughput by like 10 Mbps on both of our computers. is that A Thing or is it just coincidence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_diversity "orthogonal polarisation"

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

cvts can go just as fast in reverse unless they are poo poo

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

echinopsis posted:

or the length of time you can stand penetration before you ejaculate

:master:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

pram is right as usual. nginx is the easiest thing even an idiot (its me) can set it up

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

echinopsis posted:

i got 4 ram slots and 2 of them have 4gb cards and i am thinking of adding in 8gb and for that just snagging a single 8gb so is it bad to mix sizes? i mean i know it'll work but

also the book told me to put the 2x 4gb, one each in slot 1 and 3. what would be best config for 4+4+8

e: i know having 4x4 at the end of that day would be fastest but i might want to add even more later

try not to do this

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

i mean just like add 2 8s now and throw away your 4s or add 2 4s and when u next need to upgrade buy a new pc

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

theadder posted:

this is echi & the correct answer is: use for 20 years even as it crumbles

in that case don;t upgrade it al all, 8gb is fine for shitposting and jerkin it

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

echinopsis posted:

why? is it a bad idea or just not a good idea

i dont want to spend the money on 2x8gb cards. 2x4gb would be better i agree but significantly more money i think

u have to ask yourself y are u getting more ram. i dont think you will notice any improvement in your computing with an extra 8gb stick. u migth juuust notice with 2 fours, but probably not that either. are u running out of ram?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

you don;t need any more ram, imho

plus its a good thing if u are using like 95% of your ram, otherwise u have to much anyway

i have 16gb but only because i like to waste money on my computer. its hardly an improvemnt over 8 and i dont use more than 8 ever

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

focal ischemia posted:

lookit this scrub who isn't constantly compiling things and running several vm's at the same time

my work machine is using over 10 gb of ram, for exactly these reasons :smugmrgw:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

echinopsis posted:

ok so I'm getting revved up about my game and I want to make a website about it. I am a budget mother fucke
I see amazon offer a year free with their butt thing and it has prolly enough data for me

and thought about using Wordpress to run the blog and jus a couple of links up the top to download maybe

terrible idea or atrocious idea? or

either way would I have to fork out for a website name? what's the best place to get those

there's free hosting on github, i get my domain from namecheap, here is my website construsted with namecheap and github https://www.bobbilljim.com u can also get some sort of free app hosting poo poo on heroku assuming of course u will have low traffic ahaha

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

i dont really know what they will allow traffic wise but u can put a shitload of static pages up there no problem, just do ur images on imgur or something if u want but u can also put them in git. took a bit of farting around to get the domain working but prett ypainless otherwise https://pages.github.com/

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

its software version control but written by gits, for gits.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

anthonypants posted:

if you wanted to use more than one button on a mouse you shouldn't have bought a mac

also ahahaha magic trackpad havers

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

lol u have to run the logitech software as admin on windows if u want to be able to change your mouse settings (which you cant save to the mouse) :classiclol:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

echinopsis posted:

i7 vs Xeon? word is you can get same grunt for less $$ with Xeon coz no built in graphics or that kind of poo poo

depends what you;re doing but if its not a server you are most likely better off with an i7

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

theadder posted:

get a 16 core xeon
nice av/post combo, sorry the mac pro is crap now :(

echinopsis posted:

I wish mate I don't want to spend that cash I don't even know if it's worth replacing my 4690 i5 with 4790 i7 although like 30% more performance maybe so may worthy it!??

u probably wont notice a difference, but u coudl feel good in ur heart

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

echopenis your computer is already better than most computers. dont waste anymore money on it until they make cool new computer stuff and u buy a whole new one

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

like i have an old rear end amd quad core and some archaic at this pt gfx cards yet i can run bf4 just fine, it is suitng my needs. buying new stuff right now is juts a waste because it isnt much better

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

im sad cos it's not crap enough to upgrade

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

the apple magic mouse is good too

no trolling itt

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

welcome to os x, where most normal os functions are only available as ludicrously expensive and unsupported third party programs.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Forums Terrorist posted:

yospos i have a computer problem what the gently caress do i buy when my iphone 5 craps out now that timb blew it all up

buy the new moto g unless they made that one too big too

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

my stepdads beer posted:

of course they did

welp

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

prefect posted:

/etc/hostname doesn't exist. this is centos 6.5

try "man hostname" for some extra insight if you like

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

cmykjester posted:

I have a friend who recently had her motherboard blow up (because her idiot friends made her a lovely ricer PC) and I was just wondering how powerful a PC do you actually need for programming? I was under the impression that you could just used any lovely thing for programming classes.

any decent laptop or whatever works p ok. BUT more importantly u need 2 monitors at least

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

prefect posted:

sometimes, my pc fan has been buzzy the last couple of weeks. it'll be just fine, and then it'll do this whirrrr-buzz-whirrrr-buzz thing, and it makes me a little nervous :ohdear:

bash yr pc case when the noise happens, might make u feel better or if u get lucky put a temporary stop to the noise

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

You Am I posted:

Use Lingon, which is a GUI interface for launchd

https://www.peterborgapps.com/lingon/

nice GUI interface, can i install it on my PC computer?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

send me a pm message if so

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

prefect posted:

is the "magic trackpad" any good? i need some kind of additional pointing device for my macbook pro

the trackpad is good if u prefer a trackpad to a mouse, which you shouldnt but if u do w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

ahmeni posted:

make a win7 bootable usb and install from that

this or use the external drive to install from ur burned disk