Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Yeah, really. Great pair of episodes, though (And a great OP, thanks pksage!), definitely has me pumped for the rest of the season. One of the things I definitely enjoyed was how they kept teasing who the author of the journals was-it'll be interesting to see what happens when they get F's laptop repaired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

m2pt5 posted:

Ooh, I overlooked that. Thanks!

Edit: For the corkboard one, using the decoder at themysteryofgravityfalls.com, ATBASH, then CAESAR-3, then ATBASH decodes it. Stumbled on that one by luck my first try.

That one's just fantastic.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Good lord, be it mocking or defending some other poster's weirdness, posting about posting is literally the worst you goons.

Anyway, in actual show-related news, I was rewatching some episodes and noticed something possibly related to the owner of the laptop-Old Man McGucket's first name is "Fiddleford"

Edit: Also, Grunkle Stan Wins the Football Bowl is still the best thing they've ever done.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 11, 2014

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The Red Queen posted:

Maybe Gravity Falls is just a big weird-magnet. They don't even know they're being drawn to it, it's just something that pulls at them.

Regarding all the supernatural things they seem to have forgotten about, I could also totally see Gravity Falls pulling a Fringe (or Doctor McNinja) and using all the Little Bads to fight the Big Bad at some point.

They've already shown they're perfectly willing to do this, back when they tried to use the Gnomes from the first episode against Gideon in the season finale. It's not really a question of if all the stuff from old episodes show up, but rather how much and when.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

CelticPredator posted:

This wasn't a Gravity Falls episode though. This was just, let's say gently caress it and tell weird stories that couldn't service 20 minutes. Which is fine. I'd assume the same people who don't like this episode, also (if they watch the show) dislike the Rixty Minutes episode of Rick and Morty, which, I would call the best episode of that whole show. It's the creators loving around and going with whatever insane concept their weird rear end brains can expend. I love that. I might understand why people don't, but I think it's a drat shame, yo.

Eh, I don't think Rixty Minutes is a great point of comparison, since the alternate-reality clips served to advance the overall subplot of Jerry and Beth's relationship. This episode was just goofy non-canon adventures, and while that's by no means bad (Personally I love these sorts of episodes), it's pretty clearly more reminiscent of the early Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror episodes, right down to the quasi-canonical metaplot before something goes weird and the three-story structure.

I will say though, if they end up copying any other episode idea from the Simpsons, they do an homage to 22 Short Films About Springfield, because an entire episode just focused on the daily lives of the townsfolk would just be the best.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Affi posted:

Binged the series, it's pretty good! The characters are great but the intro theme is awesome. I need it for my phone. Where can I get it ?

I don't know if there is a specific place it can be downloaded, but the theme is on YouTube and can probably be ripped from there.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

KomradeX posted:

So I have to wait till the 16th of next month for new episodes? drat I just got around to watching season one and whats been done of season 2 so far. I don't know how you guys who have been in it from day one dealt with that

Rampant speculation, mostly.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Decided to watch through Over the Garden Wall based on the discussion on the last page and man, what a show. Story-wise it was something that would fit right in my old battered copy of Grimm's Fairy Tales, and the animation, VA work, and score were just incredible. Obviously it's not something for everyone, and is very different thematically from Gravity Falls, but it is definitely something that deserves to be watched to the end.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
You realize that a hundred and five years before 2012 is 1907, right? That's at least two generations after Nathaniel Northwest would've been established at the latest.

Edit: Unless the person above you made a typo and it's supposed to be 150 years, but even then that's a gap of 20 years between Quinton getting elected and the mansion being built, which would be more than enough time for Northwest's son to take over.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 22, 2015

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Okay, I see where you're coming from. To be fair, it could still be his son that built the mansion, since we don't know how old Nathaniel was when he was made mayor. That'd definitely be a question to try and ask Hirsch on Twitter or something, though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

pksage posted:

Teaser for the next episode, "Not What He Seems":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO-Ms1RHllU

The corkboard in the background has some bits and pieces that could support Stanford/Stanley. Specifically, the "NO MATCH FOUND" for the fingerprints makes me think that Stanford actually IS Stanley, and the real Stanford was the traveling researcher who was sucked through the portal. His twin brother became the new Stanford to cover up the disappearance while he searched for the journals and tried to get the real Stanford back.

edit: Here's a good catch from 4chan that backs up the previous paragraph: http://41.media.tumblr.com/40be66142561a4657a75b1f356afbc1c/tumblr_nk5hrw3UlK1rvlxxwo5_1280.png

Interesting stuff with the 4chan link, but seriously, three posts up.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
:stare:

http://i.imgur.com/4P9FFY2.png
Edit: spoiler! My money's on McGucket

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 24, 2015

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

El Tortuga posted:

Holy crap, there's already, like, at least 5 related videos that analyses the trailer. It's only 30 seconds long, and half the clips are from previous episodes. Sometimes I just don't get fandom.

Good lord, some people have way too much time.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Macaluso posted:

Can we just take a moment to appreciate how loving cool and intense that entire end bit was? All my praise to the animators in this episode.

edit: Also I wonder how Bill fits into all this.

They're definitely related somehow. Maybe he was created by the machine when it was first used 30 years prior?

Also seconding that the animation was ridiculously well-done.

Edit: Also I want to point out that I hopped on the "The author is Stan's brother" theory like two years ago and I WAS RIGHT.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 10, 2015

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The thing that made me jump on the theory was the scene from the Time Traveller's Pig when "Stan" came out of the Shack and had a cleft-chin (As seen in the pictures above). That's not the kind of detail the animators would add unless it was supposed to be there, and it's nice to see it vindicated all this time later. Man this show is great.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Would that be Bill Cipher in between them?

Possibly. I'm sure that there's some kind of connection between the portal, Bill, and the two Stans, but lord knows what it is so far. Maybe the original opening of the portal summoned/created him initially? The purpose of the portal was to create knowledge, after all, and that's what Bill represents.

Xelkelvos posted:

I'd say this. When Stan was arrested in this episode, they even had his report card giving him As in everything but PhysEd. Grunkle Stan isn't exactly the brightest person, so it may be that he took the identity of his brother and faked his death after he went missing into the portal.

To be fair, he does play dumb a lot.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

LashLightning posted:

It's not important, but didn't they get married back in the Pioneer Day episode? A neat call-back, at least.

Anyway, a great episode, a great season and a great series!

No, that was between a man and a woodpecker.

their marriage is in shambles

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

pandaK posted:

How did Stan get a D in PE if he's so robust now?

Depending on when that report card was issued, it could've been when he was still a wimp before his dad got him boxing lessons.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Sex Robot posted:

Yeah, those are definitely Stanley's glasses, but nothing on this show is done without a reason, there has to be some reason why the glasses and the hand are seperate. Every significant character gets one symbol on the wheel no more no less.

Is that true? I could see the glasses representing Stanley as the brother Stan grew up with, and the hand as "The Author", the person he became after writing the journals and doing whatever he did.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Robot Hobo posted:

The Shapeshifter from early in season 2 that was imprisoned in the underground research facility, do we know where that came from? Is it possible that there's a whole species of those on the other side of a portal, and perhaps the new Stan Bro who just arrived is one of them, rather than who he appears to be? That might explain why one character gets two symbols on Bill's wheel, if one's for the real Brother and one's for the fake.

It's mentioned on one of the Journal pages that the Shapeshifter came from an egg the author found while excavating. Though to be fair it doesn't say specifically where!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

CuwiKhons posted:

Shipping typically implies a deeper interest than "Oh, that'd be cute."

I've seen this before and the artist has a bunch more of it! Soos and his Abeula have also switched ages, and so have Wendy and Manly Dan. It's really cute.

Post some links! I need a palate cleanser after that... thing on the last page.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
When you think about it, stretching out the episodes is actually fantastic decision-making from Disney (For them, not for us). The thing about Gravity Falls is that it's not like other hit shows like Adventure Time or Phinneas and Ferb-by nature it has a set ending, and from the beginning was designed to only have three seasons worth of episodes. Because of this it's actually in Disney's best interest to maximize the amount of time between episodes, so they can subsequently stretch out the profitability of the show over, say, six years instead of three (Or as it's increasingly looking, four years instead of two). This is likely also important from a merchandising standpoint, since it gives them more time to develop and introduce stuff like toys and DVDs, while ensuring that the show is going to continue to be relevant when they finally release the new Soos Plush Doll or etc. And the great thing about the show is that they can be sure that people are still going to be interested in new episodes no matter when they come out, since the conspiracy aspects of the show have kept the fanbase engaged and entertained while surviving through the long droughts in episodes. At this point, the show is probably more popular than ever, has a fair amount of merchandise, may spawn a movie, and will likely keep on going for another year or so, depending on how they space out the remaining episodes and/or movie, whereas if they'd run, say, Season 1 in 2012 and Season 2 in 2013, interest in the show would already be waning by this point with none of the supporting merchandising.

Say what you will, but the Mouse knows their poo poo.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Another thing this threat might be interested in is an episode he did for "Everything's Coming Up Podcast"-the first one, in fact. It's mostly for talking about The Simpsons, specifically the episode Bart's Comet, but they do talk about Gravity Falls occasionally, as well as the Simpson's influence on it-as well as the fact that multiple characters are going to die this season.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-1-barts-comet-alex/id979023994?i=338149737&mt=2

(Non-iTunes link:) http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/3/4/d/34d...ec70b0b21b5fad6

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

paradoxGentleman posted:

But if people really are that uncomfortable talking about it I'll stop.

Please do. Months of silence is better than talking about what goes on at that dumb loving website.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
AW MAN

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/601862231085559808

JUST TWO MORE MONTHS GUYS :suicide:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I am hyped like you won't believe.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Family Guy is a poor comparison in any case, since Gravity Falls' style of humor takes more from classic-era Simpsons than anything else (To the point of literally having an ex-Simpsons showrunner on the writing staff). And if you're saying gags from classic-era Simpsons were bad, well...
https://youtu.be/ZXQR-cPXlmY

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'm pretty sure those are supposed to be campaign buttons.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

johntfs posted:

I really like this show, and I really like Jason Ritter and Kristen Schaal as Dipper and Mabel, but sometimes I wish they'd gotten voice actors who were a little younger or more in touch with their inner children, especially for Dipper. Maybe it's more the writers than the actors, but Dipper sometimes has a lot more insight, self-awareness and abstract thought capacity that most 12 year olds I know. On the show you're supposed to think "Aw, Dipper, Wendy's way too old for you right now." I had moments of thinking "Why is this Little Person in his mid to late twenties crushing on Wendy? She's way too young for him."

Dipper's voice is a bit older than it perhaps should be, but I cannot imagine anyone other than Kristen Schaal as Mable.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

counterfeitsaint posted:

I love how some goons still think these discussions can be had without terrible things inevitably happening.

I mean, it wasn't going horribly. I had hope!

Then that happened.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

johntfs posted:

I feel a little like Ford as far as Mabel goes, probably because I missed the first two-thirds or so of this series. Mabel seems like a person who easily makes friends. Wouldn't she have a massive support system back in California? It's hard to imagine that she'd be "alone" went she went back home.

That's actually one thing I've been wondering about. She's never mentioned any of her old friends from California, and given how much she'd been looking forward to High School it could very well be the case that she doesn't actually have that many friends outside of Dipper back home.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

X_Toad posted:

In fact, I would say that there were way too many red herrings. The tapestry with people worshipping Bill? Irrelevant. Gideon making a deal with Bill? Not much came out of it. The laptop? Didn't teach the characters or the viewers anything interesting.

The laptop was how the audience was introduced to McGucket's prior life and his involvement with the Author. There was even a whole episode where the kids had to track McGucket down and try to get access to his memories, remember?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It's certainly gone to the birds.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Y-Hat posted:

Weirdmageddon Part I had Louis C.K. as a guest voice, while Part II had Jon Stewart. I wonder who's on tap for Part III.

Larry King He's still in the vents!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Hibbloes posted:

DIPPER'S FIRST NAME

WHAT

poo poo, I missed it, what was it?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

counterfeitsaint posted:

I think the ending would have worked with Stan still having trouble with his memory. He might have started a remember a few things, like the first Stan o War and maybe a bit about the kids, so the brothers are going off together on their adventure to help him remember the rest, and Dipper and Mable going back home is still sad anyways. Still a great ending for a great show.

If that guy who said he wanted to use Ford flashing his piece at the bus driver as an AV decides not to bother, I am totally stealing that poo poo.

Yeah, I think the ending was overall great as is, but it would have been a nice touch to have Ford help Stan recover his memories, just as Stan spent 30 years trying to recover Ford.

I do wonder though if Hirsch has anything planned for the series for the future. There's still a few mysteries left in the tank (Most significantly what Ford was up to in his 30 year dimensional absence, and where Blendin ran off to after Bill took out Time Baby), and I could easily see a sequel movie coming out in a couple of years if Hirsch is up for it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Acne Rain posted:

we will never know dipper's canon real name
(odd that he danced around it in the special if it wasn't going to be revealed at any point in the series...)

I'm pretty sure he's saving it as a plot point if he ever decides to do a sequel, along with what happened to Ford after he got sucked into the portal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

counterfeitsaint posted:

What happened with the ARG? Was there actually not a statue and instead the puzzle thing?

Unrelated: God I wish that 35,000 posts somewhere else was enough, so SU didn't have to hijack this thread too. Guess not.

Dude, there were literally zero posts in this thread for the entirety of April, May, and June. Talking about how another cartoon compares to GF is far from a highjacking, and in any case it's the best this thread is going to get once the Cipher hunt ends.

• Locked thread