Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Internet Explorer posted:

Agreed, that entire thing sound awful. How many loving weeks of training? Good lord.

You could sign on with us. You'll shadow us for two weeks and then start taking tickets. Your ops manual is the outdated SOPs on the server and your notes on stuff people say. Good hunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

nielsm posted:

Being told you're wrong is one of the best ways to learn to be right.

That's what distinguishes good IT people from the other kinds of people who like to be right. When told we're wrong about something we say "Really, how ?", not "gently caress you !"

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Has anyone tried Old Forester whisky? Shits fire yo, and fukkin cheap at <$20/bottle

If you shop at Trader Joe's, check out the Lismore in the Scotch section. It's got a lot of flavor with a nice cinnamon-y finish. I call it a cheap Balvenie equivalent at $16.99. If you'd a Laphroiag drinker, try the Finlaggan for, I think $17.99. That's a decent peaty Scotch for a good price.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Hmm, but on the other hand, I made a joke to a user about a donut fee for resetting her password, and they just delivered, with bonus latte.

I got fired for that once, but it was for fixing an unsupported personal printer.

No, seriously. I'd just taken the first job I could get after a looooong dry spell. Bossman had mentioned a couple of times that personal printer support is nonexistent. This one woman had one that was acting up and asked me for help. On the one hand, unsupported. On the other hand, I wasn't in the system yet and couldn't be assigned tickets yet so I had nothing else to do. They'd given out shrink-wrapped cookies to celebrate some milestone that day, so I said "sure, how about for a cookie ?" I fixed the printer. She asked if I wanted the cookie and I said sure. The next morning I got a call from the agency. She'd complained to management. That was Wednesday morning.

The deal was, there were in practice, three parties in play here. The agency, the company that hired them, and the company they'd recently acquired. The complainer worked for the recently acquired company. They were still operating under their own name, but there had been a round of layoffs already. Major layoffs, 30-50%, literally everyone who didn't work on the lung cancer drug they were acquired for. Including most of the support staff like IT, HR, admins, facilities, etc, who were being replaced by people hired by Amgen. The mood was at least as grim as you'd expect for the survivors.

Long story short, the Agency and Amgen IT thought this was some prime bullshit. The agency rep used that exact word. There was one group left to be heard from.

Friday afternoon about 2:15 I got another call from the agency. Go home they said. We're really sorry they said. The Onyx people are picking a fight and getting an Amgen person fired they said. You're it. Oh, and contractually we can't put you on another project. Good luck.

I got another job about a week before I would have had to sell all my stuff and become homeless. No thanks to anyone involved. I had to break the news to my supervisor, whom I was getting along with. Worse, that was more than 2 hours before the first commuter shuttles started running, so I had to walk almost 2 miles to a bus stop. It should have been raining.

So that's the story of my first week in Big Pharma and how I got fired over a loving cellophane wrapped sugar cookie that a blonde woman in her mid forties, I think her first name started with an S, used to work for Onyx got for free.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The Fool posted:

Good poo poo

Added to my notes, thank you very much.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Replace"I apologize" with "gently caress you"

I used to have an exec assistant who liked to end calls with 'gently caress you' instead of 'thank you'. Apparently if you give the president of the agency lap dances, HR will let you get away with poo poo like that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

MagicHateBall posted:

[*]How familiar should I really be with something before putting it as a bullet point on my resume?

In an interview situation with the hiring manager, their boss, and a random VP with an interest in the exact topic, go up to the whiteboard and spend 15 minutes answering detailed questions with diagrams, and discussing your previous accomplishments. Ok, maybe not that much for all of them but being able to get in depth about the really relevant bullet points is how you move from the short list to managing distribution lists for them.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Show them a Solarwinds quote, my god.

Then show them the call logs showing how many times a Solarwind rep called to "follow up" or "just chat about upcoming projects".

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

jaegerx posted:

i need a new laptop bag.

Trigger warning that poo poo. I've had to dig two desiccant beads out of headphone jacks this month alone. Those little bastards are 1/8" in diameter, and just enough bigger that it'll go in, but never come out intact.

Throw that little baggie of beads out as soon as you get a new bag, or you will be meeting someone like me with a pair of tweezers and a cynical look on their face.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The ad agency I worked at had a fun alcohol policy: no booze before 5;30 without manager approval. I'd spend most of my days wandering around with a clipboard hanging out, answering questions, and fixing minor stuff. It all got noted down. At 5:30 sharp I'd sit down at my desk, pour a glass of scotch, and turn those notes into (closed) tickets. That'd be 30-60 minutes a day of drinking and OT.

That, office dogs, and buddying up with the media buyers to get free sports tickets were about the only good things about that loving job.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

We support the Xerox 6027 MFD for our remote workers. They're about as reliable as a printer can get based on real world ticket counts and not very expensive at all. Xerox still knows laser printers.

Unlike those solid-ink pieces of poo poo. Just last week I had to change a wiper blade, a consumable item. I had to remove a fan, a motor, and a mechanical assembly held together only by gravity to do it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

You ask why to make sure the person on the other end isn't a loving idiot. I hope this message assists you in your IT journey.

Also to deal with XY problems, which also often reveal that the other person is an idiot.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

MF_James posted:

One day I will find a job that does not drive me to madness.

That's a progressively shorter and shorter trip for everyone in this thread.

If I had current Casper/JAMF experience beyond using it to mange the wallpaper on my iPad, I'd be making loving bank right now. Best interview I ever had, thumbs up on their way out from the two peer interviewers, good click with the hiring manager and CEO... and they went with the person who was the JAMF administrator at their current person. I understand, I'd have made the same call. HR was downright apologetic when they let me know I wasn't The One.

That was fantastic interview experience. I know how well I can do now, so that success is reproducible.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

GreenNight posted:

We got a dozen of these in. Let me know what else you think. Half our users are getting an annoying BSOD and I can't figure out why.

Oh great. Our Windows engineering group just started on adding G5 support for the standard image.

Our tech refresh group is going to have a busy summer, there are 6-8000 G1s on campus, all overdue for refresh.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

isn't it lovely when the first thing you do to fix a problem actually works?

Always give it a chance to be simple. If it is, you look like a wizard. If it isn't, wasting a few minutes up front is meaningless.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Agrikk posted:

Sorry to get pedantic but I loving hate the term “resource” when referring to employees. Not that we are special snowflakes but the term resource implies some kind of nameless fungible asset. We bitch in these threads about how “if it has a cord it’s ITs’ problem” and calling ourselves resources does nothing to dissuade that.

That's a "thank you for your time" red flag in phone interviews for me anymore. Last time it came up I hoped out of the in-person in about 5 minutes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Is that really a huge red flag? I thank people for their time constantly, because I genuinely appreciate them spending the time and effort to apply to and interview for a position. I know it's a stressful, time consuming experience that you don't get paid for.

I meant referring to people as resources is the red flag, and "thank you for your time" in the "I have decided to pursue other opportunities" sense.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

jaegerx posted:

I’ve only had macs since the iBook g4 at least laptop wise. My desktops were always windows but that’s for games. I just can’t imagine that people are lagging this far behind on touchpad tech. I think ibm sent me a laptop with a loving nipple in the middle of the keyboard.

That stupid nipple is on HP laptops too. I think maybe as many as 10% of 14,000 people on campus have realized it's not just a cosmetic feature. About that proportion who noticed them has ever used them. Or noticed the second set of "mouse" buttons. In well over 3 years in hardware repair I don't think we've ever gotten a ticket to repair just the pointing stick.

Back in December I replaced a keyboard for someone who had spilled coffee on their laptop. The way our processes work is, I ordered the keyboard non-warranty and then recycled the damaged keyboard. Following best practices I disconnected all the cables from the logic board and they all went in the bins. The new keyboard shows up a few days later.

On this model, the main keyboard cable, and the backlight cable, are integral to the keyboard. The pointing stick cable comes in a plastic bag packed in with the keyboard on all 6 keyboards we ever order. We have to connect it at both ends since we always disconnect the cable

I get the replacement keyboard. There's no pointing stick cable. Electronic recycling got picked up yesterday, so I can't just grab the probably still good cable from the old keyboard. Odds are, nobody will notice if the pointing stick doesn't work.

I click the DOA button on the order for the new keyboard, slap a note on it and tuck it aside. I don't give a poo poo, HP and Apple have both sent me repair parts in worse condition. Days pass.

The replacement for the DOA keyboard shows up. It is also missing the pointing stick cable. I complain. We escalate. The escalation group wants pictures of the keyboard I received, the part label on the packaging, and the missing part. <click> <click> <wait, what ?>

Pleas that I am not able to provide pictures of the part that I did not receive fell on deaf ears. We go round again and I get another keyboard about a week later. No pointing stick cable.

I reply to the email asking for pictures for my report that "no, you hosed up again". I explain that 5/6 keyboards we order have that cable packed in. I even provide pictures of the equivalent cable from a different keyboard. With a different part number. Which proved to delay things some.

At this point the factory in China is in the loop. When they saw the "we ordered a part number from family A and didn't get the packed-in X-family part that is included with every other family A part", they complained that we'd ordered an A1 part number and were now talking about an A2 part. So much for showing what the missing part looked like.

Cue many more repetitions.

This ended up taking over 100 days, starting in December. We actually used some of those keyboards. The rest should be returned for a credit. It's been almost six weeks and we still don't have RMAs for the ones we got charged for and can return. I need the shelf space you bastards; let me return them or put them in the parts room.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

CloFan posted:

Our physics dept needed something beefy for their sims and data crunching, so we doubled the order and outfitted our IT dept with HP Z230 workstations :getin:

I've been inside a few of those, they're nice pieces of hardware. We use those for a lot of compute-intensive applications.

And some nitwit in Corporate Communications bought at least four to drive monitors in the lobbies of at least one building (the one next door has Z240s).

The were standard i7 CPU, 128GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, with a Quadro card with 4 miniDisplay Port ports on them. These were running an OEM Win 7 Pro, not joined to the domain or managed in any way. Each machine drove one of the monitors. The slideshow displayed was updated by a program called "lobyupdater.exe". Once every week or so Symantec Endpoint Protection would flag it as suspicious and raise a popup. I've seen all four displays in a lobby showing an AV message at once.

I've had two tickets for bad power supplies for them, and I threw myself on the grenade when someone in Corporate Communications raised a ticket about the AV warnings. He was opening a ticket a day for a week, so on Friday I butted into a conversation, provided details, and made sure someone who could seize control of those machines was looped in.

I hate shadow IT. IT demoed a machine built for about $700 that would do the job. CC signed a deal with an outside vendor and are probably paying around $10k each for four machines for the lobbies of at least three buildings. I'd like to shake that salesperson's hand.

I'd count my fingers afterwards though.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

guppy posted:

My big one, which I guess is Guppy's Law: All temporary fixes become permanent installations.

Mllaneza's Law of Network Engineering: Check the cables first.

If it's a cable, you fixed in 10 minutes and look like a wizard. If it's not, it'll likely take hours so no time was wasted.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Apple is in fact at about 7% of the market by unit shipments, but 14% by dollars. The margin is about the same for tablets, and they have a 3:1 ratio for phones.

https://www.statista.com/chart/8883/apples-market-share-phones-tablets-and-pcs/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Sepist posted:

Sometimes I respond to a slack message and bill for it. Not often but I do

Once upon a time the MSP that ownership inflicted on me billed me 15 minutes for reading an email on Sunday. Just reading it. No action.

Yeah, that's a 5 figure invoice that's not getting paid without removing the blatant fraud.

They also sat on a request to "please put together a plan for upgrading our WAPs" for four months, then billed 5 hours at their top rate for two people having a meeting and deciding maybe we should update our WAPs. Actually planning the upgrade was a separate line item.

Not signing invoices pays as much as signing them assholes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Sepist posted:

Why would a WAP upgrade plan not count as pre-sales? That kind of stuff if typically a non-billable item. Even in a project, internal meetings shouldn't be billable.

The owner of the MSP was college roommates with one of the owners of the company I worked for. They got away with hella poo poo. Dude took me out to lunch when I was on the other coast. We got billed. I signed those; having a native guide to eating in Manhattan was worth it.

Visiting the New York office, I once watched my favorite vendor get his dumb rear end killed on the sidewalk. It was Saturday, we'd met outside the corporate apartment, and just started walking around. We were shooting the breeze and hoping to walk place some place that looked good for lunch. Well, we ended up in Bed Stuy and while there were a lot of restaurant supply stores, places actually serving food were scarce. I'm from California, so the VOIP salesman from New Jersey feels like the responsible host.

He's from Jersey. Waaaaay upstate New Jersey; he lives on three acres and can't see a neighbor from any window in his house.

We're in Manhattan.

What does he do to take charge and find us someplace to have lunch ? He stops a woman walking the other way by putting a hand on her shoulder. He asks her "Is there anywhere to eat near here ?"

"I'm going to have to explain this to his wife." flashes through my mind. I honestly believe for a moment that I'm about to watch a man die. I figure a facefull of pepper spray is the least he can look forward to. The poor woman he accosted just backs off looking very agitated and disappears in foot traffic.

We ended up at the now-closed Prince Street Cafe. It turns out In actually would step over a body to eat there, especially on someone else's tab. If you're local, see if you can find where those chefs ended up. My borscht and his cheeseburger and fries were impeccable.

e. As much as the ad agency sucked overall, having 20 vacation days a year, plus Summer Fridays (4 of 8 Fridays off during summer months), for my last two years was awesome.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The Fool posted:

I don’t remember ever needing ECC, but if you didn’t have exactly the right speed and latency you were going to have a bad time.

I forget the specifics, but Macs have always been incredibly picky about RAM.

Interesting observation about RAM on the motherboard. The incidence of RAM errors causing downtime dropped off considerably after the RAM stopped being a removable part. There weren't a lot to begin with, but the failure (or needing to be re-seated) rate went to almost zero. Overall our Macs have a quarter of the downtime due to hardware issues than the HP Elitebooks do.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Aunt Beth posted:

This is also probably due to the fact that Apple employs engineers to engineer their products (opinions about soldered components and that new keyboard aside) whereas HP employs accountants for all their engineering tasks.

Fun Elitebook Fact: On the 820 G1 and G2s, the stupid rubber feet that cover the service plate screws are numbered and there's a diagram in the service manual showing which numbers fit which screw holes. On the 840 G1 and G2s (and G3s if memory serves) there are no numbers on the stupid rubber feet and of course there is no diagram. The fact that this is so says volumes about HP's internal organization.

Those loving idiots

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

THIS IS WHAT I AM SAYING, PEOPLE.

The fact that I haven't had people request dumping their mailboxes into CSVs for Excel import is amazing to me.

Either move these people to Macs or install Cygwin, these people are gonna love AWK.

It will be their first step into a larger world.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 7, 2018

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I had a server room AC unit die once. Some months later the local server was rebooted and didn't come back up. Turns out the ILO card melted. Cue my sorry rear end having to go back in at 9pm and wait for the Dell tech to bring a new card out. At 7:30am I was able to send an "all clear !" and also "I've put in a full day and am going the gently caress home" email.

Goddamnit. 12 years later I realize I didn't put 9-midnight on my time sheet and am owed 3 hours OT.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Anytime you call a PM and they don't answer, send them an email saying "hey, I just tried to call you regarding X, for which we have rapidly-approaching deadline Y. Let me know when you've got some time to talk. Thanks."

This is the Way and the Light. So let it be written (and backed up offsite) so let it be done.

So the advertising industry mostly does "Summer Fridays" where people take every other Friday off because it's slow. My rear end in a top hat boss takes all 8 possible Fridays off, including no call/no showing on 8 consecutive 1-on-1 calls. He also ignored the followup emails I sent.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

DropsySufferer posted:

Just curious anyone think I should stick this out?

Always, always, always make them fire you so you can collect unemployment. You'll also get a month's pay when you know you have to slash expenses to the bone, that'll pad your savings some.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

This should always be one of those fundamental checks like “can I ping it?” Or “is the cable *physically* plugged in?”

Llaneza's Law of Network Engineering: Check the cables first.

The Fool posted:

wtf, ping and nslookup are step 1 and step 2 if anyone claims anything is "down"

Those count under this Law, and also make sure the thingie is actually turned on.

So we're finally upgrading the network to gasp ! 100MB hubs. Friday night we pull the old hubs out, rack the new ones, and re-punch everything for good measure. I say, "hey let's check some of the production workstations." IT Manager says "nah".

Saturday morning comes. We turn everything on as if it was a weekday where we try and make money. An aisle of 8 workstations can see each other but not the rest of the network. We futz with the workstations for a few minutes, and then the boss says to leave it alone, he's calling in a buddy of his who's a top flight networking consultant. I am given a direct order to stay out of the server room where all the punchdown panels, new hubs, and what not are.

We wait an hour and buddy shows up. He's making $200/hr. In 1998. He heads into the server room to fix our problem. An hour and half (and $300) later he comes out doing this: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He's explaining the to the boss. Besides those two, four of us are sitting around with the NFL playoffs on the loving radio because it's 1998; and Garrison Hearst has just suffered an injury that will knock the 49ers out of the playoffs and almost kill him. I duck behind the expensive consultant making excuses and head into the server room.

I duck behind the rack and head for the hub the afflicted workstations are connected. I grab the uplink cable for that hub and push it home.

*click*

I walk out, check a couple of workstations, and announce that we're 100% online on the new network.

I was on a lovely salary. The consultant made hourly. Since I hadn't yet heard the gospel that is the California Labor Code, I fixed that poo poo for free, and a motherfucker who didn't think to check Layer 1, collected two days worth of the OT that I should have had, and for not fixing a drat thing.

Check. The. loving. Cables.

Guillotine all executives

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

I think people get too close to the coal face and become unable to think. If you have poo poo internet at a location and it's going to cause issues with all the cloud applications that you've already evaluated then you fix the shithouse internet problem, you don't compromise every other part of your strategy because the idea of fixing the problem in front of you was something that never came up.

Oh yeah. I worked at a remote office for a few years. When I started, email, DHCP, and DNS were hosted in the home office, over a completely saturated Frame Relay connection. When the HR director came up, did a presentation, and emailed an 8 MB deck to everyone, email was effectively down for hours.

Then the fun happened. The home office shut everything down to add a generator to the power circuit. I didn't get an outage notification. The office was full of people working through the weekend on a major pitch. My VIPs really didn't like hearing "LA turned off all our poo poo. No, I'm not coming in. I can't fix it." I will give them credit for taking it though. My advice to not reboot anything that already had an IP address for any reason at all helped.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Yes but make sure you go with side docks and not the loving terrible thunderbolt docks.

Seconding this. The 2013 slimline dock is great. The Thunderbolt dock sucks balls and has awful driver support.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I guess the question is if firing someone for refusing a pay cut counts as termination with cause or without cause.

I’ll be recording any meetings because one party consent state :dealwithit:

That's without cause in all 50 states. In at least California you'd be eligible for unemployment if you noted out.

Just get the whole scam in writing first.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

My general impression of healthcare IT is that there's Kaiser, and then there's seven varieties of hell. This is backed up by some Bay Area job satisfaction surveys and one guy I know who contracted at Kaiser for about a year. Plus, y'know, reading these threads.

A good team fit however, is almost as valuable as cash money, possibly more so if you're in a growing stage of your career.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Cheaper. Work still gets done. Same reason people outsource poo poo to whatever-stan.

We do open spaces at work, about 70% of campus is the target I've heard. It lets us cram more people into a building; with an assist from very generous WFH policies. We are not cheap about the spaces. Right now we're testing some big-rear end curved Samsung displays, at least 32", to replace dual HP s231d displays as the standard workstation. If they work out, we're ordering 700 of them for the new building that's under construction. All of the open space floors are broken up into neighborhoods. They're well supplied with breakout and conference rooms. Some have things like diner booths, some with monitors, for small team huddles. All of the desks raise and lower. There are plants, windows with vast views, and all sorts of amenities. I don't think it's possible to get much better for an open space environment, but we're partnered with Lawrence Berkeley so if it can be done, we'll do it.

There's a few images here:
https://www.gene.com/good/sustainability/workplace-wellness

A key takeaway: "B35 consumes 60 percent less electricity and 71 percent less fuel than the national standard for similarly sized buildings." Open Space is saving us mad cash. The B35 they talk about ? Beautiful piece of architecture and as green as it gets. Right now they're tearing up the parking lot to put in more electric vehicle charging stations.

Nice shot of the neighborhoods from: https://www.gene.com/stories/building-health Seriously, check that building out. I've worked in a lot of different offices over the years and this is a great space.

I think most of the benefit from open work spaces comes not from the floor plan or the WFH, but from having leadership that thinks "Cube farms suck, we can do better. M-F 9-5 with a commute sucks, we can do better."

tl;dr Follow the links, open space can be done right.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

The chairs on that pic ar comfy as gently caress.

Not pictured, 2 more pods of three desks to the right of the camera, a long bar to the left that usually has a jigsaw puzzle and snacks, and a big team room to the left of that.

Also not pictured are several breakout rooms where your always on the phone motherfucker should be. The most recent experiment they're trying is an overgrown phone booth. It has a shelf, a chair, four walls, a roof and a floor to contain phone call noise all on a smaller footprint than our tiniest breakout room. If you can get one installed, I recommend chaining your salesman inside it and padlocking it shut.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

It always cracked me up when our colo providers asked us if we needed the cages to extend to the ceiling and into the raised floor.

When I had our col move our gear into a half-cabinet, I was expecting to have my OWN half-cabinet. Nope. We were sharing a full cabinet with another customer. We had full access to each other's gear, cabling, spare external drives left in the cabinet, everything.

These were the same clowns that did a generator test without a single UPS in-circuit. They flipped the switch on mains power and everything shut down.

Everything. The whole data center. I went in to nursemaid starting everything up again and the place was packed with angry sysadmins. I would not have been surprised to see a few rolls of carpet and bags of lyme.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

This sounds amazing. Name and shame.

Coloserve. 360 Spear St., San Francisco. Googling the address shows a different brand name now. Given that they were consolidating cabinets so they could shut down whole rows when I moved us to AWS, that's probably new ownership and not a name change.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

mewse posted:

"When is a good time for me to come by and look at these computers?"

"Oh, any time. Or we could set a time"

... ok I'll just show up whenever, thanks

Check their calendar, show up when they're busy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

guppy posted:

Assuming you don't want to do side work, the best way to handle coworkers hitting you up for free tech support for personal stuff is to have someone else specific to refer them to. "Oh, I don't really do side work, but there's this guy Mike who works at XYZ Computers in (nearby neighborhood), he's who I refer people to." Often it's less about not wanting to pay for it and more about not knowing a trustworthy repair shop; in all my desktop support time I don't think I ever had anyone come back to me after that because they wanted me to do it for free instead.

I generally didn't do side work then and I don't know, but there were a few people who were super nice and I didn't mind helping them now and then.

My old standard was a bottle of single malt, 12 year minimum, 15 for executives. In advance. Got more than a few bottles that way, although none in recent years.

I simply don't support consumer Windows setups, which saves a lot of headaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Darchangel posted:

The trick is always how to mean "gently caress off", get the person to understand that you mean, explicitly, "gently caress off", and not any gentler form of it, but not actually say "gently caress off."

Well said !