Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

skipdogg posted:

Don't be afraid to apply to jobs you think are a reach. Job postings are wish lists, not hard requirements.

The actual most important advice.

If you want the job, apply for it. It is their job to filter you out—not yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
The planet will be an uninhabitable hellscape by the time I might be looking to retire, so really, nothing matters. trump 2020 so we can just quit with the foreplay and have an apocalypse.

Internet Explorer posted:

Just like all those fortunate people who bought houses in 2007 because real estate has only ever gone up, up, up!

That was a dumb belief and not even true in 2007, though. On average, real estate has literally never been a stellar investment.

There are many reasons to buy a home, but (again, on average) accruing wealth is not one of them.

E: also a large portion of my dad's wealth is literally in coins. If he dies suddenly I am going to have to quit my job just to have time to figure out how the gently caress to sell them all.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 19, 2019

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
A $10,000 investment made in a home in 1896 would have been worth $10,600 in 1996 after adjusting for inflation. Over the 20th century the rate of return on an average home (for the full century!) was worse than the average rate of return from the stock market in a single year.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I still have my do the needful bottle opener USB flash drives. :unsmith:

E: https://imgur.com/a/8l3yp5O

it turns out I literally never use flash drives for anything, so they've basically just been in a drawer, but they did get made!

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 4, 2019

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

chin up everything sucks posted:

I'm actually the guy who got a promotion to Sr helldesk dude, and is being groomed to be promoted to sysadmin sometime in the next year. I -should- be spending a hell of a lot more time helping our overworked sysadmins...

promotions are an illusion and it doesn't matter how many tickets you do, apply for sysadmin roles at other companies

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

jaegerx posted:

When I was a SSE at rackspace my job was the escalated tickets and to tutor juniors. I’d just sit behind them and make them pick tickets way out of their level and work them with 1 step at a time. I made them think about next steps and gave hints.

Eventually they solved the problem on their own. They were just scared to jump into it alone. That’s how I tutored my junior techs.

As a lowly L1 my SSE mostly just told me how he didn't know anything and a couple of the L1s (including me) were much smarter than he was.

He has his RHCA, so it wasn't very believable. It was funny, though.

I learned a lot at that job, and then wisely quit.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

jaegerx posted:

Sorry that sucks. I’m still friends with most of my l2 and l1 techs still. They’re mostly in engineering jobs now. I’m a dick obviously but I tried to take care of my techs.

Nah, he was cool. I interpreted it as him making us actually use our brains instead of just leaning on him.

I think he's still at Rackspace. I am glad I worked there, but also glad I don't work there anymore.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
A cool thing to do with walkups if you do not work at an actual physical helpdesk where your job is to assist walkups is to tell them to go back to their desk and submit a ticket.

A cool thing to do if your manager does not support this approach is to find a new job because your manager is poo poo.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Doing a phone interview today for a position that would be roughly another 15k per year, although one week less PTO. Possibility of partial WFH down the line, though, and cheaper insurance. 10-15 minutes shorter commute, which is also nice.

as others have noted, the WFH isn't real and jobs that offer fewer than 4 weeks of PTO are trash.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I think we somewhat recently had a page or two on comp/benefits, but, NYC, mid-stage tech company, untracked time off.

It does make me laugh when companies do something ridiculous like 3 or 5 days of sick time, though. At that point I just feel obligated to take it, even if I don't get sick.

Most places I have worked have had either unlimited sick time, or like, 6 weeks of sick time.

Rackspace had pooled, use-it-or-lose-it sick and vacation time that expired at the end of every year, but that place is a garbage pit, so.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

A 23 year old who is about to work 85 hours a week doesn't understand that a pool table and an on-site chef are useless.

They don't actually work 85 hours a week. They spend 85 hours a week at the office. It's a big difference.

They're new grads in a new city with no (local) friends. Their entire identity and social circle is at work. They stay late playing board games and ping pong and drinking beer. They definitely spend more than 40 hours per week in front of their work computer, but it's not really accurate to act as if time spent at the office is time spent working, at least in the case of new grads.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
2-3 hours of self-paced work over a week is not remotely unreasonably as part of an interview process, given that the work is clearly not-useful to your prospective employer for anything except determining candidate quality.

Giving candidates the opportunity to do some work at their own pace without serious time pressure provides such better signal than an in-person coding interview.

I am also not sure I agree with the assumption that interviewing should be equally burdensome for the employer—that just seems spiteful. If I bring you onsite and sit you in front of a laptop and give you 3 hours to do this project while I watch, how is that a better experience for anyone involved?

If the full interview process is <6 hours of candidate time, and the take home assignment isn't free labor (that is, psydude will just be throwing it away after reviewing it, not putting it into production) nothing about this really seems unreasonable.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Vulture Culture posted:

Here's the issue with your argument: you're setting the bar for a candidate exiting your recruiting pipeline at "I have done something to a candidate that is literally unreasonable", which just isn't the case for people who have options. Every interview process contains leverage; the hiring manager may need the candidate more than the candidate needs the job, or vice versa. But unless you're a body shop, you want to be hiring the people who you need more than they need you.

If you have attrition from your hiring pipeline, you're doing something wrong. Maybe it has nothing to do with your interview process; I've gone through a few of these recently for companies like Two Sigma where I haven't felt put off by the request, because it's a really exciting place to work. Like a user experience, the outcomes in your hiring pipeline are a cumulative expression of people's experiences through the process. Someone exiting the process is a clear indication that they feel your company isn't worth the effort. It's a good opportunity to learn, if you want it.

And the problem with your argument is that it's based on the assumption that the single candidate who exited psydude's interview process is the reasonable, logical average, and a superstar that psydude would be crazy to not hire, rather than the outlier that he is shown to be by the comment that this is the first time it's ever happened.

Making process changes because of an outlier is foolish, and making exceptions to the process because you believe the candidate might be an outlier is doubly foolish.

It is good to keep data on your interview process and make changes as needed, but one datapoint is not compelling proof of a problem.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Vulture Culture posted:

How many people—or what percentage—should slip and fall on your iced-over stairs before you consider putting salt down?

If you think this is a valid or useful comparison, there's a good chance that you are stupid, but I'm assuming you know it's a bad comparison and are just being a tool.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I lived in the montrose/heights area in houston like 10 years ago and it was reasonably bikeable then, at least. It was also my second favorite place that I have lived in Texas, after San Antonio. Dallas is just strip malls and Austin is Austin.

Also, Oklahoma is a dumb, pointless state, just like every state it touches except Texas, which is just dumb.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Zoom is great. We use google meet at $current_job for meetings, and livestream.com for all hands broadcasts.

Both are awful and I would not even recommend them to someone I hate.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

huh? some of us are just fine disconnecting.
In fact, I'm home right now on new parent leave. I've closed like 14 tickets so far today and it's not even lunchtime. I also managed to fix our Airwatch server so when I get back to the office I can finally deploy all these phones that have been stacking up on my desk. I might even sneak into the office tonight when everyone is asleep and get started early so I can have them all done on Monday...

Jesus gently caress, you're right.

this is why good employers literally shut your accounts off when you are on extended leave.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I frequent /r/aws and at least half of the time when I give obviously correct advice based on the docs and AWS's best practices the hobbyist asking very stupid questions argues with me because I told them to do it differently than the way they wanted to do it. (which didn't work, which is why they are asking questions)

I try to be helpful, but it is a frustrating experience.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

skipdogg posted:

Teams has a "Quiet hours" setting on the iOS app. Outlook for some reason doesn't.

Yeah, Slack as well. I don't get notified before 10 or after 6 M-F, or at all on weekends. If I'm on call and it's an emergency, page me. Otherwise I'll see your message on the next work day.

I solved the email issue by just not getting work email on my phone.

While I'm throwing out schedule pro-tips, I strongly recommend permanently blocking out 12-1pm as busy for lunch, and if your coworkers are especially obnoxious, also the time before and after working hours so you don't get 7pm meeting invites.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
There are tons of options. pagerduty is fine, as is opsgenie.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

12 rats tied together posted:

Something I've been trying to parrot at my current job is that all of the people who really want to solve the PagerDuty/VictorOps/OpsGenie problem set and are qualified to do so are already working at PagerDuty, VictorOps, or OpsGenie.

It's no surprise then that our home-rolled version of it is worse in every way and costs more money.

This exact argument is similarly compelling when applied to opening your own datacenter.

All of the most qualified people in the areas of creating and managing an efficient datacenter already work at Amazon, Microsoft, Google, or Facebook, and they probably don't want to quit to come work for you instead.

It's blowing my mind that people in this thread are rolling their own pager though. Pagerduty is like... not expensive.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

jaegerx posted:

You know there’s like huge telecoms out there with more data centers than them? There’s a market after the big 4.

What does number of datacenters have to do with anything? Managing the total capacity economically is what matters, and no US telecom has compute capacity that is even on the same order of magnitude as any of those companies. Telecoms are also not innovating in that space, whereas those four companies and a few others actually are.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

jaegerx posted:

I’m trying to turn over a new leaf so can someone else explain alibaba to him

If your new leaf is to be a snarky bitch, you are doing a great job.

Are you actually so stupid that you read a post saying that datacenter talent is centralized in four big companies and your thought is "lmao you idiot, one other company also has a lot of datacenter talent, that's why you are completely wrong", or are you just looking to be an rear end in a top hat?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

GreenNight posted:

Don't know if he's kind of a dick yet. In person interviews are scheduled for next week. Maybe he’ll blow our minds.

Forming opinions about candidates you haven't interviewed yet seems like just a spectacularly bad idea.

You're doing extra work to build biases.

GreenNight posted:

Our last DBA was here 26 years and was completely self taught. He retired at 40 and moved to a cabin in the middle of the northern Wisconsin woods.

I wouldn't hold 6 months of unemployment against a candidate, but I would definitely hold 26 years at the same job against a candidate.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
The vast majority of companies do not pay like they appreciate people who stick around.

It's just wildly improbable that you still have things to learn from a company after 5 years, unless the company is big enough that you can switch to a -completely- different role. That also means that what you can contribute to the company will fall off over time as well.

There are exceptions, but it is, by definition, unreasonable to assume that any given candidate is one.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Amazon interviewing people for a specific team kind of bums me out.

I interviewed for a position in intelligent cloud control recently, but the hiring manager was really unpleasant, so I wasted two days flying six hours to seattle and interviewing for 7 hours.

This is something that I feel like Facebook does super well: at least for my role, you'd go to boot camp for six weeks, and during that time you're able to try out different teams. At the end of boot camp you choose to join a team that has available headcount after you've already met them and worked with them. Unfortunately they didn't want to hire me because I bombed the networking interview, but I still liked their process the best of the FAANG companies.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, I’m going to ask some simple questions but I want to make sure they can’t just lie about it and then expect me to just deal with it when they surprise me.

They can definitely just lie to you. If you're legitimately worried that they might, does it really make sense to consider working for them?

Agrikk posted:

ProServe guys live on-site with customers and build stuff per customer specifications. It's a pretty neat gig if you like to travel.

One of my few professional regrets is that I didn't do this kind of gig and/or become a douchey :airquote: digital nomad :airquote: while I was single.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 11, 2019

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Would that only knock me out of contention if it's a place I don't want to work anyway or would that just make me sound like an rear end in a top hat?

The former. I expect candidates to ask me about life/work balance, because it's an important thing to understand about a job. If they get put off by you asking (politely!) about the working hours, on-call schedule, and how often people take vacation, it is probably because they expect to grind you up.

If you're joining a very early stage start-up and the company lives or dies by your sweat and blood, you should reasonably expect to work a huge number of hours. In all other situations, it is reasonable of you to want to work a reasonable number of hours, I think.

I would suggest asking some other questions first, though. mind-game them into thinking that the first/only thing on your mind is something besides "how much time can I spend NOT here?" (even though that's a reasonable thing to have on your mind)

E: general interview tip, actually: if you can come up with a kind of odd-ball question (that you actually care about) to ask first, that will throw them out of autopilot and probably get you more interesting answers. When candidates ask me "what do you like about working here?" "what's the on-call schedule like?" "how long have you been at the company?" "what's your day like?" the answers are just rote memorization at this point, because I get asked those quesitons so frequently and the answer doesn't change much.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 11, 2019

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
No fine could ever be large enough. People need to go to prison.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Methanar posted:

code:
for i in $(knife node list | grep role ); do 
  scp ./script.sh ubuntu@$i:/opt/script.sh
  ssh ubuntu@$i  'bash -x /opt/script.sh'
done 
lol if you drink redhat's koolaid

wake up sheeple

I hate so much about this

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
why are you this way?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Docjowles posted:

you're just mad you didn't turn it into a product and get acquired by red hat

Nah, I played the long game, and now I don't work for IBM.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Stock up on usb-c laptop chargers and tell people who need something else to get out of the past.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
at $job-1 we had to use ansible to deploy new customers, and things like application version upgrades because it was decreed that whatever we did had to be push rather than pull or agent-based.

Ask me about playbooks with literally 80 pieces of human input required to run because what even is a CMDB

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

PBS posted:

Uhhh, couldn't you do that with the inventory?

The inventory was dynamically generated from four different places, so there would need to be a stateful place to put the config data. I know that it's not that hard to stand up a crappy API and a mysql database, but that's only valuable if the support engineers are willing to actually put data in the config database, which they were not.

To give you some insight into how not open to automation this team was when I joined, they were spending 40-50 human hours to bring up a new customer's environment, every time. Each environment was like, <20 hosts

Convincing people to put their poo poo in github was also a huge fight.

Also we weren't allowed to have a persistent connection into AWS environments, so I made an ansible connection plugin that used ec2 run-command and pretended to be SSH. Would be so easy now with session manager. :(

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 28, 2019

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Bonzo posted:

So is anyone freaking out about the Capitol One leak that was done by an AWS employee? I'm not but I figured some of that would or will trickle down.

former AWS employee. She worked there in 2016. Capital One already confirmed that the vulnerability was entirely their fault, not AWS's.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

BeastOfExmoor posted:

They don't see the forest through the trees because they've been the smartest people they know for their entire lives and can't or won't comprehend that their knowledge is limited to a subset of human knowledge.

I think this covers it. They are very highly educated and probably pretty good at something that is very hard to be good at, so they just assume that means that they can intuitively understand all other "lesser" disciplines with no additional effort.

anecdote, but my dad is an attorney, and is just wholly incapable of accepting that there are things he doesn't understand without a huge fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

cage-free egghead posted:

Any of you run any sort of dashboards or something similar on some spare screens? I've got an old TV that won't be put back out into deployment that I'd like to hang on the wall to monitor... things?

My boss spent 6 months trying to get IT to mount TVs around our work area so we can set up dashboards. 6 months later and he still hasn't done anything with them.

So, no, we don't run any sort of dashboards.