Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
So I've got a third interview for a junior network admin/helpdesk position with a local ISP coming up soon. I'm hoping it goes well. I aced the technical questions they gave me in the second interview, so, I guess they liked me. If everything goes well, it'll be my first real non-minimum wage job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Comradephate posted:

Generally the only way to not get a job after a 3rd interview is to really put one of the interviewers off. Don't say racist poo poo or whatever.

I'm a southerner. It's hard not to. :(

high six
Feb 6, 2010
So I went to the third interview for a junior network admin/helpdesk position. It went well. I was at the gas station afterwards and noticed that the seam in my pants around my rear end was ripped, so, I was hanging out of said pants. I don't know when it happened or whether it happened during the interview... :bang:

high six fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 3, 2014

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

Haha. Man, this is one of those times you just have to laugh at yourself and the universe in general. It's out of your hands either way, so you might as well try and appreciate the absurdity of the situation.

Yeah. So I went to Waffle House later that night to load up on unhealthy food to get over it.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
HUrray. I got an actual IT job. Help desk, yeah, but it is certainly better than delivering pizzas. Gonna start the Monday after next. At least this time I didn't rip the rear end of my pants at the interview.

Kinda nervous, too, since this will be my first "adult" job.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Hi everyone. I posted a while back about a prospective first IT job. I got it and have been there for about three weeks. It's pretty cool. It's a small company so I've done all sorts of stuff, from fixing up desktops, installing them, doing networking troubleshooting, and phone support. Kinda disorganized, but still really interesting. Much better than delivering pizza. Supposedly, they said there's opportunity to move up in the company, too.

I feel a bit out of my league, but still enjoying it.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
So, I just got my first help desk/sysadmin job a few months ago. I am really enjoying it and doing my best to do a good job at it. I'm having a problem I've found vexing, though.

A few days ago, one of our clients calls and says his computer is running really slowly. We provide remote support to various companies, so, I VNC onto his computer. About 100% of the CPU and most of the memory, shown in task manager, are used by a process called wmiprvse.exe. Last night, I found a fix which involved restarting the services connected with it, it seemed like the problem was solved. He used the computer last night and was happy with it. I come in this morning and he calls, and apparently it is doing the same thing again, except now the processes taking up most of the CPU and memory are dllhost.exe *32 (several instances of this one), regsvr32.exe, dpnsvr.exe, and fxmapi.exe. I'm not sure what's going on now. I've tried running some virus/malware scans with no luck. Researching the specific processes hasn't turnedup much. I feel that I am rather at a loss at the moment. Could anyone point me in the right direction possibly?

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Thanks for the recommendations, guys. Yeah, it appears to have been several rootkits causing it. I got rid of them and it seems to have fixed it. Hurray!

high six
Feb 6, 2010
So, I've been working at an entry-level position here for the past few months. I posted about it here before. I am totally enjoying it, especially since I am given plenty of opportunity to do things beyond answering help desk calls.

Anyways, I was working on configuring some Meraki switches for the past few hours. I had them cabled correctly into a switch that had internet access, but was dumbfounded as to why they were not able to access the internet themselves. Tried all the troubleshooting stuff I could think of. Turns out, the original switch and the network's addressing scheme is 172.19.2.0 instead of the 172.16.2.0 I saw when I looked at it the first time. So, the only problem was that six instead of a nine.

Figured you people would get a laugh out of that.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
So IT goons, I need some advice.

I got my first real job last September at a small, local MSP. The pay is $12/hr, which sucks, but it was mainly to get some experience. I got my CCNA soon after getting this job. I do all sorts of stuff: basic helpdesk sort of stuff, equipment installs, and some tier 2-ish (I think) work with things like Exchange, virtualization, do a decent amount of powershell scripting, etc. The company has a lot of problems mainly related to organization and I'm not likely to get any raise working here.

So, I started looking for a new job. I've gotten two job offers. One is working for an MSP at a local hospice facility mainly doing helpdesk sort of stuff. The other is with a local manufacturing company where I'd be the only other "IT" guy. The hospice job has offered me $16/hr whereas the manufacturing place has offered me $33k but salaried. The duties seem like they would be mostly the same. I'm kinda burned out on the MSP concept since my current employer has a constant push for MORE BILLABLE HOURS despite that meaning that the customer is probably pissed off. I'm not really sure which offer I should take, though. I've never had an actual *choice* in job offers before, so this is all new to me.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

sanchez posted:

What part of the country is this? You're worth a lot more than 33k around here

Rural western NC. I'm living with my parents right now to save on money so I can pay off my massive student loans quickly. Once that's done I am getting the gently caress out of here, though.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Considering that a year ago I was delivering pizza, I am totes excited about making that much. I have about $60k in student loans to pay off but since I don't have rent I am saving pretty much every dime I make as is.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
I do a whole lot less work than I did while delivering pizza and get paid a lot more. It's crazy.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Man, I thought I have worked for some dysfunctional people.

Anyways, yay, I decided to take the job at the manufacturing company. Put in my 2 weeks just a minute ago. Will be nice to get a $10k/yr raise and get out of the MSP game. :yotj: Thanks for the advice, gentle goons.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
College is fun.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
For Powershell, http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Windows-PowerShell-Month-Lunches/dp/1617291080 is a good book to use. Worked pretty well for me. I still have a lot to learn but it got me started!

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

:yotj:

After speaking with dozens of recruiters, applying, interviewing, getting rejected for the jobs I wanted and getting offers from the jobs I didn't actually want, and generally getting stressed out - it finally happened. I accepted the offer last week and start next week. 30% pay increase, 4 weeks PTO, work from home availability, full benefits. It's a DevOps position. Super pumped about this.

Admittedly, I haven't caught up on the last 15 pages, but I wanted to highlight this post:

Doc couldn't have been more accurate here - this was all the type of stuff that came up in the interview but it wasn't overly technical - they just wanted to know that I knew about this stuff. (The most technical questions were about my butt (Azure, AWS) and some scripting stuff (Powershell, Python)). That post was literally the last thing I read before my final interview for this position and it really helped me more confident. So, thanks Doc.

So is there anywhere (Books, websites, etc.) that I can read about this DevOps thing?

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Docjowles posted:

I'm sure there are plenty of poo poo jobs that offer 0-7 days PTO, because :911:. And there's places that offer more. Or startups that troll you with ~unlimited PTO~ that you can never take because you're barely staying afloat even working 80 hour weeks. 3 weeks is by far the most common amount that I see offered, though.

Then again it's been a long time since I was looking at real entry level stuff. Wouldn't surprise me if less is the norm there.

Reminds me of my first job bagging groceries in high school. After about a year, I was due for a raise. At that same time, the state raised minimum wage by like 25 cents. So management told everyone "that's your raise, Deal With It".

I dealt with it by quitting, going to the bank around the corner, and getting a job as a teller making like $5/hr more doing way less lovely work. Fuckers.

At least in my experience for looking for entry-level jobs, as of late, no vacation time is common.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

When I first started here right after university, first industry job, I got a pretty standard deal:

-3 weeks paid vacation
-10 sick days
-shouldn't even have to be said but I get all 12 stat holidays off too

Now after 3 years my automatic paid vacation time goes up by a week a year up to 7 weeks, and I get 15 sick days too. All of this is pretty standard here. You guys are getting hosed.

What country are you in?

high six
Feb 6, 2010
It also helps that, for instance, we don't have unions or the enforcement of labor laws as well as things like at-will employment ("If you want to take vacation days, I'll just fire you and replace you with someone else."). I don't think most people really value the U.S. system, though they may come to accept it out of some sort of Stockholm Syndrome.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
So looks like the new job is going to be much quieter than the chaotic frenzied hellhole that was my last job at that crappy MSP. So yay plenty of certification study time.

Also, saw that Gog.com position. Would be awesome. I'll probably apply even though I've been at this job for a week.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

rafikki posted:

If you've got some networking knowledge and the basics of Linux, we're hiring some folks in the Denver Tech Center area. I also regularly get a lot of hits from LinkedIn and Dice for the kinds of positions you're probably looking for.

How long do you think you'll be looking for folks for this sort of thing? Denver is one of the areas I'd like to consider moving (I live in bumfuck North Carolina right now). I've got a CCNA and basic Linux skills so this sounds right up my alley. I'm probably going to start job hunting again in May once I've been at this current position for a year. I just need to get out of this area before I go insane.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm looking towards the Charlotte area, care to expand on which part of North Carolina is "bumfuck" to make sure I avoid it? From what I've gathered there's Charlotte, the city in the west, and Raleigh, the city in the east, and everywhere else is desolate garbageland or expensive coastal resorts.

I'm about an hour-ish north of Charlotte. And you are pretty much right about the state. The mountains are really nice and have some fun places (Asheville, etc.), but the job market there is awful just like it is everywhere outside of Charlotte/Raleigh. Only people in these areas are old people and people too poor to get out.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

rafikki posted:

We have a large number of the positions, so there's generally some turnover pretty often. Shoot me a PM if you have them when you're interested and I'll take a look.

Merci!

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Could someone with PMs shoot Rafikki one for me? He mentioned a job lead in Denver a few days ago and I decided I am tired of this poo poo little podunk town and need to get out before I go and drive off a cliff or something.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Thanks. Sent in an application. I'm the dude from North Carolina if you are one of the people who can see applications.

high six fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 16, 2016

high six
Feb 6, 2010
So, what are everyone's opinions on contract work? I've got a CCNA and got an offer for a 6 month contract in a nearby city doing networking stuff, which is really what I want to do. It's a W-2 contract and they are offering me $24/hr to do it. The problem is I currently live with my folks, so, this job would involve moving out and having to pay rent again, in addition to having to buy my own health insurance. So the added costs might make it basically a sidegrade. So I am conflicted as to whether I should stay here, living with my parents and not paying rent while making $35k/yr with insurance, or go and take a risk on contract work.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Sickening posted:

I will say this, which option allows you to save more money?

Do your parents like you living with them?

Living with my parents wasn't really an option for me when I was of age due to being dirt poor. My wife could have stayed with her parents indefinitely and was encouraged to do so. If you are actively encouraged to live with your parents I would do that and save as much money possible while looking for a job that will be an upgrade in your career + paying enough to make the jump worth it.

Culturally in the states this is looked down on and its pretty dumb. Multiple generations living in the same house is just the best option if space allows for a number of economical, physiological, and environmental reasons. I would have lived with my parents without any guilt until I got married. Hell, given the right situation, I might have not left my parents home even after that. gently caress the haters.

I save about $1500/month here with my folks, which I use mostly to pay down my student loans. I don't mind living with my folks and they don't mind me here, it's just that I live in a bumfuck rural area so pretty bored with living here and bored with my current job, too. There's not too much job-wise in this area, either, so not too much hope of moving up.

But thanks for the advice, folks. I'll keep on looking.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

You didn't go into a ton of detail about what the job entails, but my spidey sense tells me $24/hr is pretty lowball.

From what I could get out of the guy I talked to, the company is shifting over from Cisco equipment (ASAs and stuff.) in their remote locations to Cisco Meraki cloud-managed stuff. My main thing would be to work with the technician onsite getting this gear set up, since my guess was the technician was more of a cabling than a engineering guy.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Every time a client email is blocked by the spam filter they fire an exchange admin to make an example of them.

If a lawyer demands changing settings so she's allowed to send a 50 mb attachment and it bounces back from the receiver's system, that's 2 fired exchange admins.

The lead exchange admin is in charge of training every new admin, and maintaining the 70 year retention policy. If a single email in the history of the firm is missing, or takes more than an hour to restore because a lawyer shift-deleted a .msg saved in a server share, the lead exchange admin gets the boot.

It's scary how accurate that second bit is. The last law office I interacted with was furious at me because they wanted to be able to send 100mb+ attachments to people. There was nothing I could do until MS bumped up the max attachment limit in Office 365, but then they got furious because the emails kept getting bounced back by remote servers because they were too big. They refused something like Dropbox too, of course.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
:yotj:

Going from a general help desk position to a junior sysadmin position in a nearby local government organization. I'll have to move out of my parents' place and pay rent but a 60% raise (From $35k/yr to $55k/yr) and health insurance with no premium is nice. Plus, hopefully I won't be bored out of my loving mind at work all day now. Definitely glad I didn't take those contract jobs I was offered last month.

This time in 2014, I was delivering pizza, so, I'm pretty happy.

high six fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 1, 2016

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

:laffo: good luck. Junior sysadmin for the government will be 90% sitting on your rear end wondering what you'll do for the next 5 hours.

But really congrats that's an awesome pay increase, a cushy job with giant blocks of time to study, and job stability out the rear end.

Hopefully I'll have a good bit to do because the head engineer was talking about a hopeful migration of some stuff to the butt. I've got plenty of time to study at my current job but I've kinda been struggling with existential angst because I have about 20 minutes of work to do every day (And it's just paperwork, not IT related) and am stagnating here. I'm hoping this will help me get some of my enthusiasm for the field back. On a related note, anyone know any good primers for VMware View stuff? I've worked with servers but never VMware remote desktops and that's what they use at this job so I wanna get a head start.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Methanar posted:

The hosted VMware lab is a good starter for it.

http://www.vmware.com/products/horizon-view/horizon6-hol

Sweet, thanks.

quote:

Serious about the sitting all day doing nothing part. God I wasted so much time at work I could have knocked out a MCSA, CCNA, and a VCP with all the spare time I had.

Yeahhhh. Same here. It got to be where I just dreaded coming into work in my windowless office and just having nothing to do all day.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Welp, boss said I didn't need to work my two weeks, so, yay two weeks vacation.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Said he'd pay me for this week and pay out the rest of my vacation days too, so effectively yeah.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I think I've started to top out what I can reasonable expect in salary without some additional certifications, degrees, experience. As I'm out looking for jobs now the quick and easy $10k pay jump just isnt as readily available. Most of the new requirements I see out there for SysAdmins are emphasizing Citrix WAY more than I can ever remember. Maybe it's just a fluke thing with this job hunt but it seems like everyone wants Citrix experience.

It's a big thing in the healthcare industry. Seems like a ton of facilities use Citrix poo poo to host their medical specific applications.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
If by easy enough, you mean make me want to tear my hair out, then sure. One of the main problems I had when dealing with it was simply finding documentation on how the hell that poo poo works.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
So started my first proper sysadmin job at a local government place. It's pretty nice so far. Had a fun problem with an infinite fax loop from hell. A user set up a notification in our fax system (Faxcore) to be notified by fax when she receives a fax. So, she got a fax... which notified her that she got a fax, which notified her of the second fax, etc. 50,000 faxes later...

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Yes, that was my first question once I figured out the option existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Methanar posted:

It's that time of year again: I just got a new job!

Jesus Christ.

I'm going to be migrating 38 tiny rear end locations to office 365. Every location is a complete special snowflake in it's own lovely way and there seems to be no real plan.

There are some sites with XP machines running outlook express with 10GB PST files. Some are Office 2010, 2013, etc Every site has 2-4 email accounts on an icewarp server and not a single computer is on the domain.

Each machine has a 1-2 local accounts with a local password, neither of which seems to be written down. Each email account has a standalone username/password combo, neither is written down but I at least should have access to the icewarp server to get those myself. The username part of each email address is also pretty inconsistent and dumb, I'll try to standardize it. Each user has a new premade standalone office 365 account (no AD integration) with a password/username that is kinda written down.

There are 6 different email domains in use for no real reason and it's super confusing when you're spreading those domains across everything. I think I'm consolidating it down to 2? Not exactly sure. Nobody was able to give me a proper answer to any of my many, many questions.

Maybe tomorrow I will be able to actually get some tools to do my job and take a look at how I'm going to give everything a new proper consistent naming scheme, alias the old stuff to the new stuff, migrate everyone's self maintained contact list/calendar/PST file to office 365.

Eventually I hope to put all these machines on a domain and set up a unified credential system with ADFS SSO. :kiddo: And throw the XP machines into the garbage.

Get rid of everything and reset from start? :D