Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Coolnezzz posted:

Agreed here and my apologies to 22 Eargesplitten for my previous post. I don't know all the details of your situation and ultimately you should do what you think is best for you! Based on my own experience, I have passed up several new opportunities over the years and stayed with my current company because they have made good on promises of raises and promotions and I enjoy the work, so it's definitely a possibility. Good luck with things tomorrow!

It's definitely a spectrum. I stuck at one place for 7 years because they made good on raises, treated me well and I got to basically go off and do whatever I wanted. I went from SWE to team lead to devops/SRE in that time, and they also sent me a bunch of places (including 6 months in mexico city) despite working with fairly boring tech. I would not have stayed as long had the compensation not been pretty good - my teammates were great and management fine. In fact, it was only when an EVE goon referred me to Twitch that I left that place.

AMZN gave me one comp adjustment upward during the 2 years i was there, but also made it clear that the only way to get any meaningful cash raise (due to their compensation structure) was to get promoted. Apparently I was brought on at L6, and going L6 -> L7 is very hard and not something I really wanted to contend with. Likewise, I noped out of the next place after 9 months when it became evident that getting promoted, was hard, was going to take a while and there weren't any projects I considered fun that didn't involve a hellish commute in the bay area. The refresher grant was also peanuts and cash comp was so-so.

Current place I've been at 3 years and they've promoted from senior to staff, as well as given cash compensation adjustments upward above inflation each year. They've also given refresher stock option grants.

I would definitely leave some place that didn't give me any cash comp increase that was over inflation every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Another WGU goon, doing BS in CS. 6 credit units to go, started 1/1/2020, should be done december hopefully. Work has covered about half of it with a learning stipend of $3000/yr. I had hoped to have had it done last year but my productivity fell off a cliff in 2H 2020 for reasons. I ripped through a lot of things i knew really well or could bullshit my way through.

I wouldn't say i've learned a lot compared to what I've picked up in an aborted CS degree I did in college like, 20 years ago (gently caress i'm old). There's a lot of lovely courses and i'm mostly doing this to check a box so I can go get an online masters from Georgia Tech.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Sickening posted:

The chance is loving zero. Even at a startup, promoting your only infosec employee to CISO would be a pretty rare feat.

not to CISO but i've seen security IC -> director of security happen

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

Also while I’m at it how do people handle Apache Airflow DAG isolation? ideally without managing a million separate servers, we need to move from a managed service as is.

We don't :smith: We have a big airflow for our main account, and an AWS managed Airflow (MWAA) for our "locked-down" account, with it's own DAG bucket in that account.

I don't know if Airflow has anything around RBAC or multitenancy as it stands

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

12 rats tied together posted:

airflow has rbac but you have to install some extra stuff for it and flip a config file thing, IIRC

we ran with it just for policy's sake (along with LDAPS auth) but didn't really need it, most of our dags were just "start this EMR thing, then this one after that, then this one after that, [...]"

most of ours are like that too - "spin up this Databricks notebook with these params" but others do data pulling et c on the airflow worker nodes themselves and not on databricks, so those we want to limit what they have access to, esp the S3 buckets they dump results into.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

jaegerx posted:

I had a female boss that would wake up an hour earlier than the rest of us so she could put her face on and make sure she was presentable(her words). Pretty sure she’d probably like to sleep that extra hour and not turn her camera on.

Someone did ask my wife what her skincare routine was, and without missing a beat she responded "I check the Touch Up My Appearance button and that's about it"

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

Isn’t that flat out sabotage? Legal is not going to like it.

Talking about passwords, try your best to hook everything up to a centralized idp over saml rather than using hundreds of individual passwords. Moving everything to a new password manager doesn’t solve the issue, just moves it to a different date.

Putting everything on SAML/OIDC auth backed by your IdP is great, but not everything supports it. There’s also SaaS vendors that jack the price by a lot if you want to enable it - check out http://sso.tax/ for an idea.

We’ve tried to put everything behind Okta - Security made Okta support very prominent in their vendor selection / onboarding checklist- but still have a bunch of passwords for stuff that doesn’t allow it

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Yea, I've seen the SSO Tax and I think it's a freaking huge ripoff but still at the end of the day completely worth it just from an employee productivity standpoint but why the in the hell would any developer not use OIDC in 2020 is :psyduck:

It’s non trivial to implement or costs money if you go the Auth0 route, and it doesn’t immediately result in more ARPDAU or MAU or whatever your KPI is. So it’ll get deprioritized by PMs over other features they think will drive more revenue, until they get a big contract for it.

Hell, Databricks didn’t have it for the longest time iirc and they had like a billion in funding

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

We're slowly opening up the office again :neckbeard:. Last week we had an engineering "offsite" at the office, which was kinda nice to see everyone and I was in all 5 days. We're hotdesking at the moment, and there was a huge amount of mismatch between what the office booking app said each desk had (dual vs single monitors) vs what they had in reality.

Pros:
  • More LaCroix flavors than I have at home and if I don't like the Limoncello flavor i don't have to feel guilty of tossing a whole case of em
  • Temperature is more consistent than my 30+ degree temperature swing in my home office
  • I can walk to my favorite coffee shop, and go on coffee walks / rants with coworkers.
  • Eating lunch outside in the sun on our rooftop deck is nice

Cons:
  • They redid the HVAC and now it's noisy AF. Or maybe it just always was and it was masked by the sound of people
  • The LG monitors take forever to probe when you reconnect to macbook, instead of immediately coming up like my Dells
  • Hotdesking without anywhere to stash my stuff suuuucks.
  • Wearing hard pants for a whole day feels weird.

They expect engineering to be in the same days of the week (3 out of 5) starting in january, so that means engineers will get assigned desks at least. My team is exempt from needing to go in, but i'll prob go in every now and then.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I put stickers on my laptops because i'm running out of other things to put my avalanche rescue dog support stickers on.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I like stickers on laptops because it makes them easier to tell apart when everyone has the same few devices.

Everyone at work, and indeed most of SV, all have 15/16" MBPs. Sure, after a while I can tell mine apart from others by scuff marks but it's just easier to slap a couple stickers on it to tell it apart. The company hands out stickers to newhires but everyone just covers the Apple with the company logo so even that makes em hard to tell apart. It's a fun way to personalize and yeah it sparks conversations - I've had a few around "wait why do you have a giant pawprint" and then I get to tell them about the best doggos

I'm about to come up on a hardware refresh so I'm stockpiling new stickers in anticipation

GreenNight posted:

As someone who has to remove all those stickers when a user leaves so we can give it out again gently caress y’all.

cry more

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

It’s called OpenDNS and Cisco sells it as part of Umbrella.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

scott zoloft posted:

Teams is good if you want Do Not Disturb to not work and you want your coworkers messages pop up while you're presenting

Does windows not have a system-wide DND like OSX does?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

jaegerx posted:

I can be ignored for the rest of the thread forever if you only take 1 thing from me. Imaginary tlds with your own made up CA is a loving bad idea and you should never ever do it. I loving beg you. Just pay the $10 and buy a real domain and cert. please.

and never loving ever do split horizon DNS

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Sickening posted:

We have a 3rd party service that suggests available domain names that could be used as spoofing against us or out customers, and then buys them for us. We own about 200+ domain names that fit this category.

Same, there's a few players in this space and it's worth it. Especially if you can enforce that "all domain purchases go through $vendor" so you don't have marketing people purchasing domains on random Godaddy accounts.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

xzzy posted:

If I could get a company to pay to get me into Europe I'd do it in an instant and spent my time over there trying to naturalize. I have no illusions that european countries are perfect, but as someone who would be dead in months without insurance I've developed a special kind of hate for the US. And it is unbelievably hard to pick up and move to a new country.

I wouldn't say it's unbelievably hard, but it depends on situation and how tied you are to one place. I've picked up sticks 15 years into my career and moved from Stockholm to SF via 6 months in Mexico City (thanks amazon!). This was in the end a net positive for me, even if it meant starting over and having my immediate family 9 timezones away. It's very doable to move intercontinental later in life, even if you have a family (hell, my dad moved our family of 5 from US to Sweden when I was like 10)

jaegerx posted:

Technically yes. European work visas are tough.

I've had some experiences on the other side of this, sponsoring ex-EU nationals into Sweden. It's not actually too hard for the company to do provided they want to, and the majors in Stockholm (Spotify, Klarna) have done this a lot.

KillHour posted:

Every time I ask a European company to match my salary they laugh at me :sigh:

One doesn't move to Europe for sky-high salaries, one does it for the glorious social services[*], free[*] education and right to roam[*] (not to mention the abundance of stick shift wagons). In the end it's what's important to you - if making figgies to pay for a bay area house or fund a sports car habit is what you need in life, go for it. If you want a good social safety net or want to start a family without hellacious childcare costs, lovely curriculums that ignore evolution and the prospect of a solid year of parental leave, maybe consider certain european countries?

[*]Terms and conditions apply. Offer void where prohibited.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Lol @ the idea of wanting to have kids.

This might come as a surprise to you, but people can have different goals for what they want to do in life than you do. I'm currently struggling with the prospect of wanting to start a family, but also with career goals, the fact that childcare is expensive in the bay area and my partner's career path that might tie her to California. Not to mention the impending climate crisis and the current pandemic. There's no need to go all /r/childfree just because you don't want

quote:

I've never been able to afford intercontinental travel so I can't imagine what it would be like to live in another country, how viable is buying a couple hectares (that's the metric unit used for land measurement right?) out in the woods with internet coverage and the ability to tell the rest of the world to gently caress off when you don't want to deal with it?

Nordics have a ton of land but also, everyone else is wanting to do this right now since remote work is more of a thing. Also (at least around Stockholm and other big cities in sweden) a lot of former summer cabin areas are being convereted into year round living neighborhoods.

quote:

I'm also not sure how to say this part without risking a huge derail, but my understanding is that many European countries also have more of a cultural trust of authority than the US so I'd need to find someplace that's an exception because that is anathema. And please don't say "x government/police is less corrupt than the US" because A) that misses the point and B) that is going to start a huge derail and I've already got Internet Explorer on my probation collection book.

i have no idea what you're going for here

edit: Just move to Wyoming or Idaho if you want to be an antigovernmental separatist living in the middle of nowhere

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 31, 2021

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Bonzo posted:

Has anyone here given up their American status? I am interested because the US makes you file taxes with them even if you don't live there.

I did not relinquish my us citizenship since I wanted easy return to the states. Since I lived in Sweden, which a) has a tax treaty with US b) has a higher tax rate than the US, in practice this meant that I didn't pay any taxes to the US and just had to file returns.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

quote:

Is this a Canada thing or a labor market thing? I'm pretty sure the holiday on-call pay at my job is "You get to keep being overworked and underpaid the same amount as always." I assume that you don't have the lovely overtime exempt thing up there but I'd expect just about any company to choose an ultimatum like that over paying thousands of dollars extra for all the on-call staff unless there's a union involved.

When I was on-call in Sweden, due to EU labor time rules they have to pay you for the time you're on-call, and then also pay for when you're handling an incident (billed per started half-hour). This incentivized people to actually want to be on-call over weekends and holiday and trade shifts to make extra vacation money, but also incentivized the company to actually pay down technical debt so poo poo didn't happen outside of working hours. Given that we were a classified ad website and the country's largest non-news website with a lot of traffic spikes on evenings/weekends, this was pretty nice.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

alg posted:

Has anyone here worked with VMWare Tanzu? They are selling hard at my org and leadership is very interested. I'd rather get out of VMWare altogether and move to Openshift, but they don't really listen to me.

I've worked on it back when it was Pivotal CloudFoundry and I was at PVTL. It's great if what you want is an on-prem Heroku for hosting apps that are 12-factor, which is probably what you actually want as an app developer. In that regard its a better experience than k8s - buildpacks are a lot easier to deal with than figuring out how to containerize. If you're doing Spring Boot it's an amazingly smooth experience since Pivotal maintains Spring and made sure that Cloud Foundry outputs all the autodiscovery stuff for Spring Boot.

It's also great if you need to be able to run the same application on-prem and in various cloud providers for regulatory reasons or some other wormbrained multi-cloud strategy. We managed to migrate all of public Pivotal Tracker from AWS to GCP (iirc) with something like 18 minutes downtime just by replicating the data and switching DNS records, no changes to the application. However running it on AWS or GCP is just dumb since Heroku already exists.

What it's not great at: shoving third-party software into it is miserable (this is what I did on the MySQL team), then you probably want k8s. It's also not great at having third-party vendor support. It's mindshare is a lot smaller and operating it (at least in 2017) was a bit rear end, but so is operating kubernetes.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

xzzy posted:

Some students at Cambridge sorta did that in the early 2000's, it's where the VNC protocol came from but their scheme was putting card readers at workstations and when you insert your badge your desktop session pops up.

It never caught on unfortunately. Likely because IBM bought the lab they worked in and shut it down. :downs:

VNC is still relatively popular though.
SunRay worked like this, you had a thin client on your desktop and it kept your desktop session tied to your smart card. We had it at work in 2005, great for walking over to a coworker and going “hey can you look at something for me” and just swap the card in their terminal.

A couple banks did something similar with smart card ID, where their desktop session (windows this time not Solaris), identity card for signing transactions and badge for getting around the office was one and the same. No leaving your desktop unlocked to go to the bathroom since you needed to bring the card with you

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

devmd01 posted:

And yeah I hate itil/agile/etc with a passion too, I put up with it because I have to.

Weirdly enough, i've been referencing the ITIL Continual Improvement principles a lot recently, and having people go "Ohhh yeah, that makes a lot of sense and we should consider something like that". Like, projects will go straight into "let's do a bunch of poo poo" without considering stuff like "What is the vision", "where are now", "where do we want to be" et c. For all the flak that they get, there's some real good stuff there that can be applied with a soft touch and get some loving results, esp if there's total anarchy in project management.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

skipdogg posted:

I know there are multiple goons in this thread that have attended WGU for their bachelors and even a couple Masters degrees I think, and I don't recall anyone having anything bad to say about WGU.

I did WGU for my BS in CS since I 1) already had done a bunch of it at a brick and mortar school (with the name Royal in it tyvm) but dropped out 2) Had 15+ years of industry experience so I could accelerate through it 3) tuition was low enough that work's learning stipend could basically pay for half of it.

It took me 2 years, i probably could have knocked it out in one had it not been for the 'rona and a bunch of work BS. It was ... fine. The accelerated part of it was good, a lot of confirming poo poo i already knew and not a lot of learning new stuff for me. It's an OK program that could be pretty good with a little tweaking. Sadly their journal access is poo poo-tier - I relied on my previous access from kth.se to access a lot of IEEE journals.

I won't be considering them for a masters since Georgia Tech has a lot better masters program in stuff I want to learn, not just tick a box for.

Still happy I did it.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

i am a moron posted:

Honestly no idea why people even need fiber. I regularly have two people working and three devices streaming HD without a hiccup on broadband. But I’d take more bandwidth were it offered.

Depends on providers I guess. Spectrum in LA would poo poo itself if my wife and I were both on zoom calls at the same time. AT&T fiber, and now Sonic fiber in SF didn’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

KillHour posted:

Depending on how AWS defines "TAM," that kind of role is usually easily doable remote, maybe with occasional travel to customer sites. I can herd cats just as easily over Slack and most customer success / sales enablement roles seem to be moving that way. But Bezos might have a real hardon for butts in seats, I guess?

My AWS TAMs are nominally from the SLC office but i don't think any one of them worked out of there, they've all been remote.