Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

robodex posted:

IIRC it was $50 or $60 for PS4 at release.

Also thanks for the tips, I'm gonna pick it up again today and try to blaze through it.

Nah it was always $30. I think it was $20 for last gen. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it were $60 at release in Australia or something.

edit: actually, it may have been $40 at first. I seem to recall there being a price disparity between the retail and digital version as well

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

While I think tacking coop onto it is entirely unappealing and does not address any of the actual problems with Assassin's Creed games, if they confirm that there are no tailing missions then best game in the series 10/10.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

cronox2 posted:

Arrows are the 2nd best weapon in the game to me, second only to the flamethrower but that's only because of how ridiculously overpowered it is for the last 2 sections of the game. Always aim for the chest or head though because you usually will be able to collect the arrow back if you hit those spots, unless I've misjudged it and it's like a Resident Evil 4 thing where it's predetermined if the arrow will break or not.

Hunting rifle is the best weapon in the game, barring the bow for stealth.

Aphrodite posted:

You don't really fix "problems" in games that sell 20 million copies.

If every single person that played Black Flag didn't rate every tailing mission a one I would be surprised. You'd hope that was the whole point of that, letting us tell them what sucks so they can fix it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

edit: nvm I got bored and picked one

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 21, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Infinite got backlash from day one. People got really upset about the plot to that game. It just wasn't from the press.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

I went Dks->Des->Dks2, but I like Des the best and Dks the least. Des has just an overall feel neither Dark Souls game has that makes it really good to me, and Dks2 manages to capture that somewhat better than Dks.

Dark Souls just has such a slow start compared to the others. I don't know what it is about the intro that's so hard to get in to, but it is. For me at least.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

FF7 is the most famous, but it is also the first polygonal Final Fantasy game and thus holds up about as well as you'd expect from a 3D JRPG from the mid-90's. It's totally playable, though.

I think 4 and 6 hold up the best. Not including FFT, anyway.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I just wish Final Fantasy IX got more love :sigh:.

FF9 was my favorite for a long time. It's a little hard to go back to though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

orange sky posted:

Have you done that/know someone who did that?

I'd love to know about the feasibility of it, and know if my account isn't going to be banned later. I reckon I'd also have to switch PSN Plus to that account?

You won't be banned for that. You won't even be banned for game sharing with a friend in another region, which is something I did back on the PS3 when you could have your account active on five different systems. You will have to buy PS+ on your American account if you want those free games/deals, though.

Keep in mind that DLC does not work cross region, or at least it didn't on PS3.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Of the three PSX Final Fantasy titles, I found it the easiest to come back to play. It doesn't have any real annoying segments that I don't want to retread. FFIX was a pretty straight forward game in comparison to VII and VIII, but this was a good thing. I think its stood the test of time a lot better as a result, while still remaining fun to play.

I don't think any of the three PSX games hold up that well, but you're right that they are all 100% still playable. You just have to make certain allowances for the generation they were designed in.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Szurumbur posted:

Speaking of Final Fantasies on the PS4, do I recall correctly that VII and X/X-2 will be ported without any enchantments?

There is only one version of FF7. I imagine X/X-2 will be the HD remaster with no additional frills. though I dunno. Hadn't heard it was being ported to PS4 before. Hopefully the other remasters also get on PS4 since I never bothered on PS3.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

epitasis posted:

I don't think there are any other remasters?

Not of Final Fantasy games, but there are remasters of other PS2 games. This is the PS4 thread and not the Final Fantasy one, after all. :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

When editing clips together in sharefactory, can I not use these awful themes? I just wanted to put a few 10-20 second clips together but I wasn't expecting the terrible transitions to be mandatory.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Great, thanks.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SubponticatePoster posted:

When you go to add clips, just uncheck all the intro/outro options. Will save you a few steps.

Also good to know, thank you.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I feel like not buying a game right now because the community will be dead in a year is a flawed argument anyway. Most people will have long had their fill by then, and had a better time besides.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

But is the thumb a lighter?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Static Rook posted:

Yeah, this. People must be because it keeps kicking me offline.

Might just be the PSN acting up, my PS+ download keeps getting interrupted.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

Its first appearance is The Phantom Pain, yeah.

Isn't that the same arm as from Russian Steve Blum character in Peace Walker?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I still want to know if this hand statue has a lighter built into the thumb.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I miss Burnout. Hopefully some day they'll port up Burnout 3, since that's the best game in the series and there's no chance of a sequel to Paradise.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm glad I didn't cave in on buying Wasteland on PC, then.

EC posted:

Is there a way to make the minimap in Dragon Age not lovely? Not only does it not show any geography, it doesn't even have basic elevation symbols. I have no idea if this thing I'm looking for is on a mountain above me or in a cavern beneath.

Man, this game feels enormous now that I'm out of the starting area and have opened up several more locations.

Any tips on the combat? I'm playing on easy as a Mage, but I feel a bit underpowered in a lot of combat situations. I've been equipping better gear as a find it, but not really crafting anything yet. Level 8 if it makes a difference.

Which magic tree are you using? Lightning is the best for damage, I believe. I went pretty heavy with fire, Fire Mine is great for damage. and most of the spells cause panic. Ice and spirit are more for support and I'd suggest Vivienne for that stuff.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Keep in mind that MGS4 was a PS3 exclusive, and the PS3 was so different than every other platform both then and now that it's not easy to port to or from the system. That's part of the reason why it had issues with third party support for so long. The cell processor was weird, it's not like the PS4 and xbone which are just bog standard middling PCs in a fancy box. I would imagine it's not that easy to port it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

PCs will never have Demon Souls or Bloodborne so PCs are inferior.
Don't post specs or anything because this is literally the only thing that matters.

This is half of the reason I bought a PS4. The other half is I'm not positive my computer can run The Witcher 3 without exploding. I do find that I like playing on a console more, even though PC is far and away the better platform. I can still play with a controller there, I can buy games cheaper, I can use m/k when it's necessary, and games just look better and run at a better framerate. I guess it's just a matter of familiarity, since I've been playing on consoles for like 20 years now compared to the maybe five years I've had a decent PC.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rusty Kettle posted:

The more I think about Rock Band 4, the more sad I get. I am a huge fan of Rock Band. Some of the most cherished memories of my undergraduate education was the late night drunken rock band parties.

But now I am an boring adult. My instruments are collecting dust in the closet. I haven't played Rock Band in years, and I don't know anyone who would enjoy staying up late, getting drunk, and howling 'Don't Speak' by No Doubt.

I have a feeling that I would dust off my old controllers, buy a $350 console for one game, buy the game itself as well as a couple of replacement controllers for the old decrepit ones that were loved years ago, and then spend more time scrolling past the thousands of dlc songs remembering the old days and wondering where time went then actually playing with anyone.

Sounds like you should buy Rocksmith instead.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Everything old is definitely new again. I've been playing mainly games that would not be that out of place on snes with PS4 so far.

It's been long enough that a lot of the playerbase of this gen have probably never even seen a SNES before.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The big thing about the lizardmen of Sen's Fortress is that they're kind of a hard check on how well you've kept on top of keeping your weapon up to date. If you had trouble dealing damage to Queelag, they'll take forever and a day to kill. Also if you're using the Drake Sword, now's the time to drop it for a real weapon.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Schroeder91 posted:

Is there anyway to record party chat audio in videos? I don't want to stream at the same time, and the option to share audio in party settings is grayed out. If you have to be streaming to do it, I think that's pretty stupid.

You can record yourself but not anyone else. Sharing party chat is for streaming, and they have to have that option set to share for them to be heard on stream anyway. It will record ingame voice chat, though, so if you want your friends to be heard you can always leave your party. Everyone but you will be really quiet though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Feenix posted:

I feel like no one's gave a shat about this feature yet but all the sudden the type of angst-driven maniacal laughing and freaking out of HellDivers has made it something people want.

So let me understand.

You get 4 people in an ONLINE match of HellDivers. You are streaming. If you stay *out* of a party chat, but just chat via the game's chat *AND* they have all gone into settings somewhere on PS4 and opted-in for chat recording, all 4 folks will be recorded on your captured/shared PS4 video?

[edit] And does this work on the on-going video capture where you come in later and just go "Save/upload video" or is this ONLY working when you are live-streaming?

If you want to make a video by recording something using the share button, your friends need to be in voice chat to be heard. They will be quieter than you because they're part of the game audio. If you are streaming, your party can be heard but only if they've selected the option that allows for it. This is all in the share menu options, just bring up the share screen and hit options.

If streaming: your party can be heard
If recording a video through the share button: your party cannot be heard

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Keep in mind that Twitch, if that is what you're using to stream, does not automatically record past broadcasts. You have to tell it to archive past streams yourself or else whatever you stream will disappear as soon as you stop the broadcast.

edit: and archived videos on twitch don't last forever, either, so you'll have to export them to YouTube or something eventually

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 6, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's not like they look any worse than Miis or the xbox avatars. I never used Playstation Home, but I am 100% sure that that was just a different flavor of total garbage.

Basically what I'm saying is please stop doing this, people who make games. They're never good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Borderlands was a good, although flawed, game. Good proof of concept. Borderlands 2 polished what was in the first game to a mirror sheen, but didn't take the time to fix any of the actual problems with it. Also the writing is terrible. Still a good game, but still just as flawed and that's pretty worrying for the series going forward. Borderlands the Pre-Sequel is Australians on the Moon set to the backdrop of that moon mission from Duke Nukem Forever.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The only part of the Souls series that plays even remotely similar to SOTN is the first half of Dark Souls 1. Demon's Souls in particular is a series of set levels and there is a reason people refer to them as 1-1, 1-2, etc. Dark Souls 2 is a little oddly pieced together, it isn't a seamlessly interconnected world like the first one was. It's more like a bunch of individual levels that were stitched together.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

So what you're saying is that this is a spiritual sequel to FFX-2?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I imagine Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy will get set release dates at either E3 or Tokyo Game Show.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It worked out for Sleeping Dogs.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Shindragon posted:

Oh yeah, I would say maybe at least 5 years for it. That date placeholder in Amazon just makes me laugh.

December 2015?

Yeah not even wishing upon a star would make that happen.

I really doubt they're gonna wait five years. KH2 was originally released in 2005, and even that 3DS game is like 2-3 years old by now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gay skull posted:

All I really want out of FF15 is for it to be a fun, lighthearted game like Final Fantasy used to be. I liked my fantastic moon adventures and the evil clown who becomes a God and having evil houses as random battles and all sorts of goofy bullshit intertwining the plot.

I'd be fine with it just being fun to play and bearable to watch.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Shovel Knight is not even a little bit Metroidvania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm buying Axiom Verge on PSN specifically so I can play it on Vita, because that is where I prefer this kind of game. I don't mind paying full price for a good game because it supports the developer that made it. Wouldn't stop me from waiting for a sale if I'm broke, but I can totally justify an extra $10 to not wait for possibly months for it to drop slightly in price or for a sale.

• Locked thread