Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BreakAtmo posted:

That being said, near-wizardry would still be nice, thanks very much.

There will always be wizardry because it always makes things better. If your game can already do 1080p60 then wizardry can make it do 1080p60 with better AA and more effects or more characters onscreen or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They just may actually do that, they mentioned that they're adding a crouch/toggle stealthiness button and finally ditching the last vestiges of the "marionette" gimmick that dates all the way back to AC1.

TaurusOxford posted:

I just hope we can stay in the animus the whole game. The Abstergo bits in Black Flag were cringe-worthy at times.

Nah, they were redeemed by all the meta and hilariously banal documents you could find on the computers.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Not on PS4, no.

vvvvv Sorry, that was in response to a shameful boehner before I was beaten by 2 other posts.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
RE4 has the huge advantage of being almost entirely untainted by the RE universe's metaplot.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's a REmakester

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

abagofcheetos posted:

Those games are going to look barren as gently caress if they don't put some effort into a remaster. It is kind of embarrassing how often they reuse assets, and how empty everything actually is - especially the first one.

Can't wait to drive the Mako around a 10x10 mile heightmap in 1080p60

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I also liked the Mako at the time but now I can get the same experience but better from Kerbal Space Program and I'd rather my AAA games be a little more curated.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can probably sell the components of the Ghost Edition separately on Ebay for more than the package cost combined.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Spalec posted:

Some people take their graphical resolutions seriously.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/08/06/california-man-sues-sony-over-killzone-shadow-fall

Sony are being sued for 5 million dollars (!) for Killzone:Shadowfall not being 1080p60fps.

I didn't pay attention to the pre-release hype so I don't know if Sony actually lied/misled people but it seems....excessive. Especially as no-one noticed until months after release.

It's 1080p30 in SP. In MP they interlace columns so it's 1080 vertical lines of resolution but fewer than 1920 horizontally. In MP it's usually pulling between 50 and 60fps.

Where was this guy for the entire last generation?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think he's including the PSP and Vita. Like how AC4 was actually the sixth AC game because Brotherhood and Revelation didn't have numbers. And even that doesn't include the countless AC games that came out for portables, smartphones, and other things that aren't consoles.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Playstation 4 is the fifth SNES optical media drive.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Christoff posted:

Why does the DS3 battery last longer and why didn't they just use that battery in the DS4? The battery life of the ds4 is pretty bad

The LED in the lightbar consumes an enormous amount of power. You can extend your battery life by dimming it in the menu but opening the controller and unplugging it entirely gives a bigger boost

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And why haven't they fixed the game recorder yet?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They're the two silver bits on the front between the left and right segments. No idea which one is power and which is eject, though.

The disk drive is in the front slit, but I can't be more specific than "slide the disc along the plastic until it pops in".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's the exact same game with more pixels and more frames per second. No new problems introduced.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rinkles posted:

I guess, but I'm of the mind that not every game is suited to the achievement paradigm (if you want something grimmer, imagine a serious game centered around the holocaust or some such)

Spec Ops: The Line was criticized for exactly this. It's ~ludonarrative dissonance~ as hell to get halfway through a story about how nonstop killing turns people into subhuman monsters and suddenly get congratulated on your 50th headshot or whatever.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In 2005 the sole purpose of patching was to fix technical errors; modern games that receive frequent content updates and balance tweaks through patches were not yet a thing. No one had yet figured out that the internet could make a game a dynamic, constantly growing experience, and Microsoft being Microsoft they had too much inertia to allow experimenting on their sealed-box console platform.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Whiteycar posted:

It was to discourage publishers to ship unfinished/unpolished games because you could have a sizeable percentage of the people buying it unable to patch it due to lack of internet access.

That's another reason to want to make patches as rare as possible when you have the chance.

big mean giraffe posted:

I see you've never heard of the PC.

Other than MMOs and unofficial mods, who was doing the TF2 model before, well, TF2?

My point is more that MS was stuck in the old console mindset, since we're talking about consoles and all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The beginning of chapter 8 is even more bullshit and the difficulty can't be turned down (the fall onto Helghan) so you choose a good place to quit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All 3 gigabit ports on my Airport were taken when I got the PS4 :/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Policenaut posted:

[*]Michael Ancel (Rayman) PS3/4/Vita? game

If this isn't Beyond Good and Evil 2 I will post dejectedly on the internet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Eurogamer thinks it's a permanent exclusive. If they do a 360 version I'll get that one, if not I'll be kinda sad for a bit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BreakAtmo posted:

I honestly don't mind it - it at least has more imagination than 'Tomb Raider 2'.

2mb Raider

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ufarn posted:

This is awesome, but the soundtrack sounds like a Soviet march.

It sounds like that "scared little boy" flash video that was going around the internet ten years ago.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Aphrodite posted:

Hellblade, technically not Heavenly Sword.

Helly Sword

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm still rather confused as to its popularity. From the beta it seemed so beautiful but also somehow...hollow. I might end up getting it anyway and just hoping I was wrong about it, because I love that kind of game.

They're not allowed to say Halo at this event, but it's totally Halo.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

JordanKai posted:

Did they just loving announce an expansion pack for Destiny before the game is even out

No, but only because they've announced it before

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's great and all but I don't think my friends want to do a 4-hour download for a 2-hour co-op session.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fateo McMurray posted:

I looked away for a second. What was everyone screaming about?

Some horror game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Are they fixing the game recorder

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It turns your console into a PSNow server. It streams video to the friend and takes their control inputs over the internet so you're playing together at the same time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
WHERE IS BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL 2

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Crazy Pigeon posted:

By the way is there another Tomb Raider coming out other than the rise of the tomb raider? They showed it on the left screen on the part where they were showing off new games to be coming out to ps4. Or was it that they were surprised with the exclusivity on Xbone too?

Yes, it's a co-op game called Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris and it's not exclusive.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't care how quirky or indie or mainstream or big-budget something is- if it appeals to me I'll play it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fateo McMurray posted:

"If Sony allowed this thing they don't, it would be annoying"

We're all going to have that many native PS4 games installed within a few years.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fateo McMurray posted:

If it takes you more than 5 seconds to find the game you're looking for then there is something wrong with you.

It would be nice if the console did not actively hinder searching for games by keeping the list in no particular order and randomly moving stuff around sometimes.

vvvvvv There's a bunch of items on my list that I've never accessed (ShareFactory and a couple of Plus games I haven't tried yet) and they're sprinkled in among the stuff I definitely used. Also, that's a terrible strategy for more than, say, the last five items used.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's a decent length to be entertaining but it's much smaller than a "real" open world game like an AC or GTA and I'm pretty sure it's smaller than the first 2 Infamouses too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

InfiniteZero posted:

I can't by default turn off everybody's mic except for my friends like I could with my 360.

Destiny does this by default. For some reason people don't like it, I don't know what they're thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ImpAtom posted:

Hey, I like his movies but I'm not going to argue with an informed opinion. I'm mostly hoping that he's able to provide interesting monster designs instead of Nurse From Silent Hill 2 For the 100th Time or Random Globe Of Meat or Pyramid Head/Knockoff Pyramid Head.

del Toro is at least as good a creature designer as he is a director (see the market scene in Hellboy 2). I'm not worried.

• Locked thread