Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Subjunctive posted:

Rain also slowed stamina regen, I think? It’s been a while.

Yes, being wet did this, either from rain or going through water. It also kept you from sleeping until you dried off, which could be done faster by a fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I played Icarus in beta and enjoyed it for 5-10 hours or so but the grind became extreme very quickly at that point (or before).

Played a bit just now so Steam would actually let me review it (since the beta isn't shown in time played as it's a differnt app) and somehow they made it even more grindy.

Played almost an hour, that got me to level 3, you need to be level 5 to unlock the first parts of wooden housing (6-7 to get all the parts you need) and I was already at the point of just grinding poo poo for XP to level and for no other purpose.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
A lot of people unaware that Icarus permanently deletes your character if you let any mission you're on expire: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1149460/discussions/0/3195864334798429960/

e: by design, not a bug

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 11, 2021

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
The dumbest part is you can go back to the drop ship and abort at any point and you just lose your progress from that mission (and maybe items you brought?) so this is just absurdly stupid to me.

Why wouldn't it just be an auto-abort if a mission expires?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Flesh Forge posted:

Zomboid's devs just released a nice highly polished trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPbsDmzZ3Oc

Ok, this finally sold me on the game.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
So anyone check out The Planet Crafter?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1830840/The_Planet_Crafter_Prologue/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0g4YVF6cq0

e: oh poo poo, I don't see any bears or deer, we sure this is an alien planet?

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 22, 2021

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Icarus is going well:

quote:

Earlier this week we restored over 60'000 characters that were left behind on prospects after time ran out. This could be due to players not realizing that Icarus’ mission timer counts down in real time or cases where bugs and server issues preventing them from leaving in time. This restoration was our way of apologizing and making things right with players who lost their characters unfairly.

lmao

e:

You can abort a mission at any time and you just lose character progress on that mission but if you forget to do and it times out they delete your character. It's the dumbest loving design decision and makes no god drat sense. It should behave just like aborting as aborting doesn't cost anything or take much effort beyond running back to the pod.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 24, 2021

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

explosivo posted:

Do the random world gen IMO, it's pretty much a brand new system of generating a map and makes for a nice world to play on. That other one has been the standard one for a while now and I don't know if it would have any of the new points of interest they recently added.

The default map, Navezgane, only has 4 small towns in it. I'd definitely recommend using the random map generator and there are a lot of good seeds in the A20 seed thread, this post has a ton of good ones with map images:

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/25756-alpha-20-seed-thread/?do=findComment&comment=460201

I'm using BihariScientology with the generation settings listed in the post and it gives large cities in every biome (except burnt forest, the generator seems to skip that biome completely right now).

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

OgNar posted:

Will have to check this out.
Generated 3 maps so far but having hard time generating one with Towers.

The guy that made that post said he went through like 500 maps to get those. On my 5950x w/ a shitload of RAM it takes about 5-6 minutes to generate and save a map. That's a gently caress load of work.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Canuckistan posted:

I'm confused with the map generation options. I select Advanced Generation and put in the recommended settings and click Generate World. After about 7 min it spits out a map in the preview screens but there are no buildings in the preview, only roads, and no complete message. If I back out to the previous menu then the Start button is greyed out. I suspect that it should be generating some kind of complete message and then I can go back to the previous screen and click 'Start'. Is that right?

Yeah, it's confusing. That preview map will eventually load the buildings but it takes a loooong time sometimes.

After clicking back you need to change the map/world option from RNG to the name of the map you just generated by clicking the left/right arrows to switch between them. The UI for this is pretty lovely.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

MarcusSA posted:

Astroneer is on sale for $15 but how is it? I didn't realize the game came out in 2016.

If you like games like Space Engineers or Stationeers you're probably going to find Astroneers too simplistic.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
every game is subnautica if you think about it

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I absolutely hate planet based starts in Space Engineers, they're the least fun part of the game for me and it seems like most servers try to force you in to that now.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
My main problem with planetary starts is that the regular ore detectors suck rear end and don't have enough range to be used effectively to find ore on a planet because they're typically deep enough to be at the limit of the detector range or farther. Then you have to build some janky rear end vehicle with a large detector on it via some rotor fuckery and even then it takes a lot of wandering around to find the deposits you need.

I much prefer the experience of just parking my ship in an asteroid cluster and flying around in my suit to scout out ore. I also hate the current asteroid generation, the old asteroids were much more fun and ore was easier to find.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

TeaJay posted:

Like many people already wrote I also thought BZ was a downgrade to original Subnautica - more streamlined, smaller map, more focus on story - which is pretty forgettable. I think I did prefer the silent protagonist of the original (with his dumb Tintin hair) better too, it gave you more chance to reflect on the story and figure it out yourself.

BZ isn't as good as Subnautica 1 but if you're jonesing for more subnautica it's pretty much the only option and it is still a good game IMO.

Removing the cyclops was dumb, you already had that poo poo, just leave it in and let us use it, add a docking bay for the sea truck or something but going from the Cyclops to the sea truck was a pretty big downgrade in terms of experience IMO.

e: BZ also felt a lot more claustrophobic and too mazy IMO.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
There are only MMOs and Tetris, which is also an MMO.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
LOL all you people afraid of deep water.

*thinks of being on the edge of a roof and dies*

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Flesh Forge posted:

it's really weird because it's completely irrational, like my brain knows this is just a space/flight sim with blue/green volumetrics and the sounds are just ordinary things like, a guy rubbing a piece of wet leather on a piece of plywood or something, and it doesn't help *AT ALL*

I will say though when I finally got my nice 3 story tall fish tank filled with cute fishes and kelp that was pretty cool :allears:

e: ah fuckin milkshake duck syndrome :rant:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-02-06-subnautica-developer-fired-over-many-hateful-statements

just the sound guy, mute the game and keep playing

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

The Lone Badger posted:

I have learned an important lesson about chopping down trees during the day.

also don't AFK unless you're in a building, preferably your castle.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I can't see many settings in the .json file, can't see how to turn on the item teleport for example

There are two JSON files, the server host settings and the game settings. The game settings file has most the tweakable game parameters.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, random question, but I've been out of the survival loop for a while: Are there any good PC/Steam games with exploration and base-building that don't require a lot of grinding to get going? For instance, I've been itching to go back to No Man's Sky (more exploration than survival I know) to make like, an underwater base overlooking a nice coral reef to look at, between exploring the planet/solar system and to return to for storage etc, but I dunno, NMS never really rubbed me the right way 100%, so I didn't end up playing it a lot. Hard to explain.
I guess one of the things I wasn't keen on was how you couldn't build much of anything without spending some uncommon resource found in ruins to unlock one of a random selection of walls/floors etc, and things like that. Actually building things was OK once you got to that point, even if structures wouldn't necessarily align with the ground quite right all the time, heh.

Valheim was pretty decent when I tried it last year, but I'm gonna give that a while longer in the oven before diving into it fully. Not sure about any other feature-complete games though, at this point. I kinda like the idea of teleportation in NMS so that I can have a base on one side of the galaxy and explore anywhere in the universe, then get back home without spending an IRL day getting back home, but that's not essential. Bonus points if it actually incorporates survival mechanics, without being too overbearing about it, like needing to focus 90% on food gathering like with UnReal World. (Which is fantastic don't get me wrong, just not what I'm looking for right now)

Subnautica 1 & 2

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

mrmcd posted:

My main complaints right now is some of the missions are obnoxiously grindy for a solo player. They are doable, just take a very long time. Like the one I'm on now is an early mission to farm a bunch of food, hunt and process a bunch of animals, then load the goods into a drop ship and send it to orbit. I am ranked up enough to get some decent bases setup, get the farm and hunting lodge going, have sustainable sources of food and water, etc. Then it's just ... waiting out timers and spawn rng. I literally spent like 4 hours waiting for crops to grow, schlepping water to the crops etc. You can do some exploration and tech development in the meantime but you gotta stay fairly close to the base to water and harvest the crops. It's like, after the first hour ok I understand how crops work now, and then 3 more hours of tedium while the grow clock ticks down and random bears wander by trying to gank me.

The game sessions can be 7, 14 days (of real world time) long though, and you can have your friends join and leave the game asynchronously (apparently, I clarified by asking on the discord but none of my friends own it currently). So the mission numbers make more sense if they had the expectation that 2 or 3 people would work together off and on over a few days. The idea of a time boxed private server instance where you and your friends can log-in and work on building bases and a bigger group goal over the course of a week or two is pretty interesting.

It's a pretty gorgeous and ambitious game though. The world map is huge, and they just added a second one.

The game also has solo vs. group talent trees and last I heard you can't respec so either you use solo talents to optimize your solo play and suck in a group (those talents get disabled when playing with others IIRC) or you have a group char that sucks when solo.

Used to have permadeath if the RL mission timer expired before you completed the mission too but that's been changed/removed.

Some astoundingly bad design decisions in the game but it can be fun. I like their tree chopping implementation, it feels and sounds good, but mining rocks is just like pretty much every other rock mining game.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Synastren posted:

The worst of that hasn't been true for along time.

Respeccing is in. Solo trees have their own progression and just deactivate if another player joins your game.

The worst thing about the talent trees is that I have found virtually no reason to spec into anything other than resource acquisition talents as a solo player. Being able to loot wood by breaking logs is a huge QOL improvement, as is minimizing time mining and increasing crop yield. :shrug:

Permadeath still exists, but the mission timers are nearly impossible to burn through--they now only tick down while the game is running. If you're not running some hardcore mission, it's basically impossible to accidentally lose a character.

They've also added in a number of enraging challenging enemies to the game (scorpions in the OG world, a slate of new critters in the second one). World bosses exist now--basically any boss mission enemy can show up in other missions as an optional challenge/hazard.

The offworld store has also been added to and tweaked a lot since launch. There are some objectively must-buy items, but there are some diverse options for equipment.

Oh, and you can mine exotics with T3 equipment now. And they've made the grind to T4 less awful. And they've added ways to get infinite resources. And they've just released an Outpost version of the Olympus (read: original world) map. Outposts are the permanent settlements you can build in.

It is incredibly enjoyable to watch the development unfold, and this feels a lot like what "early access" was intended to be.

Good to hear. I've been wanting to check it out again but keep getting side tracked.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Flesh Forge posted:

oh rad they added space elephants to the space bears and space wolves??

they added several new space earth animals, yes

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Travic posted:

Getting into Project Zomboid. First run died instantly. Second run lasted a few days before getting bitten, but I learned a lot. Third run is still going strong. I'm leveling carpentry so I can make a rain barrel.

While exploring I found a house with a garden and the level 7 rain barrel. :eyepop:

level rain barrels faster by pissing in them and emptying them out repeatedly

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Beefeater1980 posted:

I’ve been messing around with Osiris: New Dawn since its latest experimental patch. I still can’t quite recommend it, but it does seem to still be in active development.

It’s another one in the “survive an alien world” sub-genre, but very pretty. I think there’s more than one world but it’s so broken at the moment that I don’t know what it takes to get into space.

Are there other games in this sub genre that are actually good? I quite like the idea of building a safe harbor on a hostile world.

Empyrion, maybe Icarus though Icarus is a bit of a stretch, it's mostly Earth pretending to be another planet.

e: I played Osiris: New Dawn about a year ago and got to space and it's extremely weird and janky they way they handle space and travel between planets, or was at the time. I stopped playing at that point because the other planets weren't that different.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Flesh Forge posted:

Spanj, a popular youtuber guy, gushes for an hour over the new Stranded at Nemesis scenario for Empyrion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeGFcpkKOUY

:actually:

excuse me, this video is 58 minutes long.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

chainchompz posted:

What's this thread's take on Green Hell? It's on steam sale and it keeps being recommended to me. On the surface it looks like it's survival.

It's good and is more survival than most survival games.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Sokani posted:

Sharpened stone should work, takes a small rock and a big rock.

also works with two small rocks

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Bhodi posted:

my BZ experience was made 10,000% more enjoyable by the craft-from-containers mod and the no-seatruck-slowdown mod. I didn't like it as much as the original, but it smoothed some sections and I liked the extra base options.

Sea truck is good but I miss the cyclops.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

explosivo posted:

As much as I enjoy card survival it's gotten to the point that I feel like i'm actively avoiding opening the game because I know there's a heap of stuff to do when I get in and I was low on water when I stopped playing last but am getting hungry so i gotta think about that and the shed's almost done so I need to weave some more palms and gently caress i forgot about the stuff on the fire and now that's full of charred remains and... agh. Just gets weirdly stressful and I think a lot of it has to do with how the cards are organized. I keep imagining exactly this game but with a big board to organize cards in sort of like how Cultist Simulator worked instead of the 3 rows thing and I think I like that game better. I'm on a phone but it feels like a mobile-centric UI and even then it's still sorta aggravating to deal with at times.

Yeah, I was trying to nail down what stresses me out about the game and the UI is a big part of it. You've got a shitload of spinning plates after a while and you can't see most of them. The game gives zero help with this. You start something cooking and forget and commit to something that takes long enough to burn your food? The game gives no warning or prompt about it, you just lost your poo poo.

The game also does a really poor job of helping you figure out what you can make. Like rope for example, you get recipes that call for rope but there is no help entry for rope (or maybe it was some other ingredient I'm thinking of).

Trying to keep track of all that poo poo your head is just not fun for me.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

duffmensch posted:

Is anyone else playing Survive the Nights? Just picked it up over the weekend and it seems like an interesting take on the genre.

It's been in EA for 5 years and the reviews are not good.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Danaru posted:

Is there any other way to deal with loneliness and isolation? Weston can't do anything to help me anymore and I'm regularly having my mood dip low enough to effect my action times

Took me a bit to realize you were talking about the game.

:smith:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

CuddleCryptid posted:

The way my experience with this game has gone I wouldn't be surprised if there was an option, and you just need to drag coconut oil over your character's UI or something to unlock it. Same as "wait you can just use an axe on the forest icon to get wood"

Seems like the game should tell you that as soon as you make an axe. God drat game!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
The Android price for Card Survival is $16, lmao. Come the gently caress on.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Vib Rib posted:

$25 on steam!

Eh, the Steam price is high but not insanely so compared to games in general. That Android price is way out of whack with mobile game pricing and they'd likely have more than 10 times the sales by lowering it to $5 or less.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

CuddleCryptid posted:

The creator addressed the price and basically went "if you're the kind of person who won't just refund the game when you have to do the more complex stuff then you'll buy it at the price point" which I think is reasonable. Same reason all the Paradox dlcs are 25 bucks

Not sure how those two things are related, but whatever, it's their game. The more complex stuff is still beyond the Steam refund period, generally.

I own the game, the price wasn't too much for me but it seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot, especially on Android where they have a whopping 100+ reviews that could easily be 1000+ at a lower price point.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Gonna check this out today: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1324130/Stranded_Alien_Dawn/

It's in EA and only a few reviews but all the reviews are basically "it's just rimworld in 3D" and "IT'S RIMWORLD IN 3D!!!"

Sold!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

explosivo posted:

Reminds me how every game release on steam will have posts in the discussion forum within minutes after launch of people doing a sight unseen valuation of the game and determining it's actually worth about $X.XX less than what they're charging for based on totally arbitrary criteria. Must be exhausting to be a game dev and have to deal with that poo poo all the time. Just don't buy the game if you think it's too much money :shrug:

Without fail every time I see those posts I assume it's like a 9 year old child with a max allowance but they reeeeeally want to get this game

I'd just like them to sell a lot more and make more money so they can make more games.

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

metasynthetic posted:

It's also worth noting that despite the lo fi aesthetic, it has probably the most convincing depiction of darkness I've seen in a game, and it fits perfectly with the gameplay. Very immersive.

Eh, I think they went overboard with it. In a house with open windows at night it's loving pitch black cave darkness, you can not see a god drat thing.