Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

jivjov posted:

Anyway, glad to see a location splat for AoR. I really like the concept here; places that are hella loyal. Hopefully the next one is for imperial worlds and hardware.

I'll be very sad if we don't get a "The Imperial Navy" book. Partially because I want to run a game where my players are essentially Wraith Squadron from the X-Wing Books and an Imperial sourcebook would be really helpful for the "Capture an Imperial ship and impersonate it," section that is likely to come up because that's Wraith Squadron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

FishFood posted:

Probably the original fluff, which is the Han Solo Adventures trilogy which dates to 1979. The EU is as old as the movies, really.

Splinter of the Mind's Eye is 1978.
Marvel released its first Star Wars comic in 1977.

Yep, that's about right.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, if your character has a magnet, congratulations you're droid has been memory wiped.

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah, memory wipes are super easy. The hard thing about memory wipes is if you want to try and keep certain information around, which is portrayed as either impossible or extremely difficult, depending on the source. So turning an imperial droid into a factory model with no loyalty? Totally cool, easy to do. Turning an Imperial Droid into a rebellion lover while keeping their top secret information of what all they know about the empire? Probably not gonna happen unless you're a literal genius.

Now I've got the idea for a mad slicer who sets up a lair with a bunch of different droid brains and hard-drives hanging around which he uses to transfer data stolen by droids that he then wipes and sends back out into like an Imperial Base or a major trade hub.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

None of that gross stuff. They milk a rancor without much trouble (beyond, you know, the standard level of trouble for milking rancors) and get it loaded onto the ship. However they find that a newborn rancor (currently midway between the size of an ewok and a twi'lek) had followed the scent to the ship and is now in their cargo hold as they're jumping to light speed.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Too small. More like the size of a Gorilla. A Large gorilla. And strong as one too. Good thing it doesn't have teeth yet!

A newborn rancor is a lot like a newborn kitten, look at how shirt-on-head fat guy in Jabba's palace reacted to the loss of his. This new pet (for which party member finds the rancor first and thus is thought of as the one vaguely in charge) will need attention and a laser pointer (or a blaster set on the lowest setting).

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Checks in this system follow two simple rules:
1: Players love to roll lots of dice.
2: Many dice means a larger range of possible outcomes and potential computations.

Win-win.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
This is dumb.

Star Wars fans are dumb.

(I am a Star Wars fan)

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Krysmphoenix posted:

Yes, the entire time between sessions consisting of "I blew up a warehouse" and "I am now running away from the warehouse I just blew up"

Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V is a hell of a drug.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Thanqol posted:

Which meant he sidled up to two hooded dudes in a cantina and said, "You wanna buy some gaffi sticks?"

He obviously didn't want to sell them gaffi sticks, he really just wanted to go home and rethink his life.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Parsed this as a Die Hard reference which would be a sick mash up now that I think of it

Well, now I've got an idea for something my party can do if they don't join the Rebellion fully.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Bad Decision Dino posted:

Maybe Bothans are galactic mailmen, but they are just really really bad at their job.

The service is fine, it's just there are very few senior employees and information security is poo poo.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Everblight posted:

My crew needs to recruit the help of the Hapes Consortium, a notoriously independent sector with its own matriarchal navy.

What sort of adventures and/or fetch quests and such would make for a good adventure?

To start, Hapes is about as xenophobic as the Empire, so the party gets to fight an uphill battle earning respect from the locals and from the leadership. A plot hook that can lead to a lot of fun side adventures could be pulling together a bunch of malcontents, dissidents, factions and other parties all trying to get the Hapes Consortium to listen to their problems.

- A Pirate Queen (In the Vein of Leonia Tavira) who the party has to do wetwork and will add some legitimacy and strength to their petition. The Pirate Queen can also be one of those people that needs something from the Consortium.
- A disinherited member of the Hapan Royal Family who is looking for some ancient artifact somewhere, the party could use the noble to allow them access to higher levels of the Hapan Court.
- Members of the Royal Court who use the party to their own end, robbing from rivals and planting evidence of treason getting them insight into the inner workings of Hapan Court proceedings.
- Merchants who are seeking a writ of passage or some other means of plying their trade in the Cluster, who can offer the party with economic support for their petition.
- Local ship captains/defense commanders dealing with problematic rebels/pirates/dangerous invaders, the party helps some local planetary governor with cleaning up her section of space, eventually earning her respect and support.
- The party has to fight off assassins from some isolationist who doesn't want the party to achieve their goals. They have to forge connections in law enforcement in order to bring their tormentor/attempted murder to justice.

The central theme being that the part pulls together all of those disparate groups and then going to the Hapan Queen Mother and demanding that the party's petition be heard. The Queen Mother can then make a demand of the party in exchange for the Hapes Cluster's support in whatever they are trying to do. Just make sure getting the Queen Mother and actually having her listen to you is a process and a half, as every noble is Hapes is standing between you, as is every normal citizen who doesn't like you because you are not Hapan.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ArkInBlack posted:

Depending on what time I would be into this as well.

I have to agree with this, I am interested in something like that, and I would love to be involved if I can.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

echopapa posted:

I was inspired by Bookhounds of London and I’m sending my players to an auction. What would you use as the primary skill: Cool (keeping your head on straight in a frantic auction), Discipline (resisting the impulse to spend too much), or Negotiation (spotting a good deal)?

Addition Skills people can roll with examples of why.

Coercion to bully a group of buyers off of what they want to buy.
Skulduggery to ally with some shady people to drive up the price of a different item.
Computers to hack the bidding system (be it a droid or through datapads where you input your bid).
Leadership to organize the group and get the plan to go on time.

Basically, everyone should be doing something, and more likely doing something different.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

So far I've got a squib bounty hunter, a shapeshifting race that's name I forget bounty hunter, and a gand bounty hunter. I guess I'm making a bounty hunting campaign!

All Bounty Hunting All the Time is a lot of fun to run actually. Be ready to generate random criminals who the Empire wants dead or alive every time the party arrives on a planet. Be ready for every NPC criminal the party encounters to be checked for their value on the open market while they're being interacted with. Be prepared for the party to over step its place and angry an entire clan of other bounty hunters.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

This really only works if they have a peppy doge companion, whatever that is in star wars terms. They have ducks, I assume they have doges.

The would be the peppy Vornskr companion, useful for both being a faithful follower and attempting to catch all of those high value force sensitives.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Beach posted:

New campaign theme spotted.

Imperial Troops stuck in a war-torn Separatist hold-out world dominated by religious/secularist/sectarian organizations all vying for control of the planet and its resources. The Imperial Troops have to deal with fighting an insurgent campaign while higher ranking political officials dither on what the troops on the ground Imperials should be doing to Win the War.

I might have thought too much about a Vietnam/Gulf War-style Star Wars campaign.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

Gonna play a Whiphid with a sweet hat.

The Gold Standard of Whiphids.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Mustache Ride posted:

So, uh, how about that there Star Wars RPG? Its pretty fun, isn't it?

Tons of it.

kingcom posted:

Anyway I'm playing in a star wars saga edition game as well as running an EotE game at the moment and man it makes me appreciate how much better the EotE rules are.

One of the biggest disappointments with my gaming group is that they prefer Saga edition to the Fantasy Flight Star Wars.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 16, 2015

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Zodack posted:

Unfortunately I can't find new players - the group is four of my oldest friends. It's a dilemma I more or less saw coming, but it's been a few years since we last played an RPG (I GM'd, two of them played Dawn of War while it wasn't their turn), so I was hoping they were tempered a bit.

You can always find new players. Always. If it were an live game it'd be harder to recruit for, but you can always trawl for interested recruits from somewhere, especially with an online game. If you are having trouble finding a way to get them to engage, and they are not at least meeting you half-way, you are putting too much effort into a hobby.

edit: If people get annoyed about being dropped/the game getting larger (with motivated people to fuel motivation), that is actually their problem to bring up with you.

Also, ask them if they are interested in playing, obviously. If they are friends (who play other poo poo while a game is on), they might just be going along with this out of a sense of obligation, which is a good reason to inject new blood into a group dynamic, while I'm rambling about bullshit.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 22, 2016

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

susan posted:

Lando Calrissian. There's a million things he hasn't done. But just you wait, just you wait...

Now I'm trying to put together Hamilton as a Lando Calrissian musical. Thanks.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
You can still be friends with bad players. It's not like, a requirement to be friends with people. If people aren't having fun gaming, maybe gaming isn't for you. This includes when the gaming is giving diminishing returns vis-a-vis effort and stress for the GM.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Melee Wookiees have the common problem of passing out from just being too awesome.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

RaceyBucket posted:

What are some reasonable things to happen to a ship on a smuggling run other than like customs or rival smugglers?

While smuggling a live thing, said thing breaks out and causes chaos on board the ship.

Systems failure causes the ship to be stranded, and an Imperial patrol swings by to assist.

Go to the wrong location, make the drop with the wrong people, get paid by the wrong people, only find out when the buyer gives them an angry call demanding to know where they are and where his poo poo is.

Being paid in mystical maps, wacky rare items and other poo poo that is hard to liquidize.

Going to to drop location, and being forced to scan around and find where the buyer is hiding.

The goods turn out to be toxic to the pilot or navigator, forcing the party to have to play nursemaid to an integral party member.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Your ideas are intriguing to me and et cetera. But yeah, I'm interested.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I offer my sympathy to ShineDog, and hope that Gaary ends up with as good an arc as Savidudeosoo's (Kallabecca), who sacrificed himself to hit Darth Vader with a door to save the rest of the party.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 7, 2016

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

He was leading a slave revolt the still under construction Death Star. He breaks open a weapons locker to arm his Wookiees. Since this is the Death Star, all there are are blasters, so he improvises a melee weapon as uses the door, since he was the Melee Wookiee.

Savidudeosoo posted:

I sure as hell wasn't going to use a wimpy rear end blaster to challenge the Dark Lord of the Sith.

Who wasn't even around when you asked, "If there are only blasters, can I like, use the door?"

edit: Darth Vader only gave a poo poo about the situation because another party member shut down power on an entire hemisphere of the Death Star.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 7, 2016

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Iceclaw posted:

Ah, yes, the notion that the Empire is some kind of gambit to "make the galaxy thougher" to resist their invasion", the crown jewel of EU silliness. Empire fanboys ruin everything.

Look man fascism is a hell of a drug. We cannot hold it against those that enjoy the trappings of fascism in an ironic fashion, but we can blame idiots for trying to have their fascist cake and "Just Following Orders" too.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

Honestly, I see the basic boost option as the "I have no idea what else to do" rather then the go-to. It's more fun when you're narrative then mechanical with it.

This is kind of the key detail for the dice system in general. The goal of having a holistic system for multiple standards of success and failure is to create a durable platform from which to tell a story with winding paths that are naturally connected. In a binary system, failure stops the thread, where as a failure with threat or a failure with advantage or a failure with threat and a triumph all provide opportunities for the story to continue from the previous point without having to carve whole cloth a new plot point from the vapor of the situation. If all else fails, the free boost/threat option exists to cover for the situations where the plot thread is loose or the scene lacks in details.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Drone posted:

This is more my experience. I'm still wet behind the ears on GM'ing but reading through AW and DW has really helped me to sort of expand my own goals for effective GM'ing.

Really, improv is not a bad background for getting better at gaming in general and in particular getting used to GMing. A lot of the lessons and terminology (steamrolling, the Yes/No, And/But/Other Conjunction system, active/inactive choices, building on your fellow players actions rather than tearing them down) teach habits that serve a gaming group well. And I just realized this is the Star Wars thread and not the GM advice thread.

So.

I'll be running a star wars game starting next week: What are some good species to have in a Ravagers-style criminal/revolutionary group?

Also, what are some fun weird Sith beasts?

These two questions are only tangentially related.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

jivjov posted:

Not til Thursday. They 11th hour pushed back the street date a week, I guess due to distribution issues.

The real release date is in the year 3000.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, except the Rebellion wants to bring back the Republic that the Seps wanted out of...

There is a potentially very interesting needle to thread where the character is a dyed in the wool Separatist, regretfully working with the big tent alliance to restore the republic, with the constant far off reckoning between the republic and the separatists remaining unsolved and a point of contention.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

LongDarkNight posted:

It'll be WotC. Using a force point let's you roll with advantage.

I hate everything about that sentence.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Saga Edition is a good compromise between 3.5 and 4 in D&D terms, modular with math that is straightforward (nowhere near as clean as 4e's math was, but it was a bridging system) and was very easy to break over your knee and make a bonkers character.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Looking through the rules even using vehicle scale as 5x instead of 10x it seems like vehicle guns on even light tanks will just chunky salsa everyone; is there a quick fix for that?

Uh, don't shoot planetary scale weapons at personal scale targets? Any scenario where a planetary scale target is firing a planetary scale weapon onto a personal scale target should be loving super rough, it's very dangerous to try and take out armored vehicles without your own support. Death is the type of thing that is difficult to achieve in-system but there are some speed run options and armored support is one of those ways.

Also make note that planetary scale weapons should use the difference in silhouette to determine difficulty, so unless some book adds a vehicle that fucks with the system, the smallest vehicles I could find using planetary scale weaponry (as opposed to speeder-bikes using personal scale weapons at silhouette 2 in the AoR core book) were at least silhouette 3 so they are rolling three bones of difficulty against silhouette 1 people. A well defend character should be able to add to that defensive die or upgrades and gunnery crews usually wouldn't be throwing too good a dice pool at it.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
It uses a different system, a pyramid from what I recall, where you have various generalized talents and you build up (so two fives can support one ten point talent).

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Saga Edition post- second prestige class (really post-first prestige class if you knew what you were doing) was massively bullshit and ruled because you could just kind of break one thing over your knee.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

I know some people liked Saga Edition but a straight port of D&D always seems like the worst possible way to do Star Wars

It is. I cannot stress how much it is the worst way to do star wars.

CitizenKeen posted:

Saga is a rock solid game for people who love D&D.

It is comically easy to break over your knee by level like 7.

Drone posted:

We also have a goon one for the Star Wars RPG (obviously far less active though, but at one point a year or two ago we had like 3-4 regular games happening): https://discord.gg/sNBbf6vf

I should set aside time for another karmicgame.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Drone posted:

:sickos:

Want my Yuuzhan Vong notes? :haw:

I will never look upon your Yuuzhan Vong notes, only experience them from the perspective of player. I have a couple of ideas I am going to think about and see what I can do the most with, but I will not do the mythical Yuuzhan Vong game.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Watch any western or WW2 movie and find/replace the proper nouns, it's worked for me so far

yeah, this checks out

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, this is a sick idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
If you have a discord server, incredibly easy as there are bots to roll the specific dice and the system leans heavily on theater of the mind rather than grid or measured distances.

Azhais posted:

The roll20 macros work fine too, and the foundry module supports importing directly from oggdude

I forget about those because they require an investment of actually spending money, but yeah.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 8, 2022