Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Probably getting a Wii U for christmas and I was wondering if you still access the Wii Virtual Console library through the wii u?

I realize this may have been answered and that this will probably get lost in the shuffle but I figured I'd ask since I've been told conflicting things.

Also, how much longer will they be making games for the WII U before the Phase it out in favor of the new thing. Beyond handheld consoles, I've been out of the video game loop since I was a kid so forgive my ignorance here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Augus posted:

I finally hopped on the Squidkid train thanks to a Christmas present. This game is really really fun and connecting the shooting with the movement was the best design choice ever. It's probably the most inherently fun shooter I've played.

Came here to post pretty much exactly this. I got it as part of the bundle. Figured I'd play it till I got something like Mario Maker and I'm now hooked.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
The link for a good hard drive in the OP doesn't work and I'd like to get the Bayonetta games but I don't have the space on my console.

What do you guys recommend?

I'm sorry if this has been covered but I don't think I have the patience to trek through the whole thread to find it.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Is there any chance that they'll surprise us with something neat for the holidays, or is Tokyo Sessions the last good looking exclusive game for the Wii U at this point?

For what it's worth, I have a good back catalog to get through. Since i've gotten some good advice from the thread earlier, I may as well ask. As someone who's never played a 3D Zelda, should I go for Windwaker or Twilight Princess? If I like one I'll probably get the other.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Windwaker (for now, anyway) it is.

Sam Faust posted:

Pikmin 4 was said to be close to completion a while back.

My money's on that being an NX release now

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

elf help book posted:

Both are great, as are Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

The 3DS ones are supposed to be pretty good, right?

I almost feel bad. I've only ever played the gameboy ones and the first NES one.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Ended up getting TP instead of WW since it was on sale. Hope it's good. Even if it's only okay I'll still probably get WW eventually.

Fwiw as much as I liked the 2d Zelda games I've played, the more I think about the lack of upcoming releases or any sort of announcement the sadder I get about it. I quiet like this system and its a shame they're not doing much for its fan base in what'll likely be its last year.

Edit: I've still got a few games left for the system to hold me over. Provided the NX looks good I should be okay til then. Hopefully Mirage is good.

And I'm glad I've got Kirby on the way too (albeit not for this system).

SylvainMustach fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 25, 2016

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Waltzing Along posted:

WW is worth at least 2x as much as TP. Hope you paid less than 1/2.

No worries. About half.

My first thoughts are that it doesn't look that good. I know it's an HD remaster of a gc game but I sorta thought they would've made it look nicer or do something with the frame rate because it feels jerky sometimes.

Also, I hope it picks up speed because this is the slowest opening to any game I've ever played. I still have every intention of getting WW though.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Quick question about hardware. My cat chewed through the cord on my sensor bar. Most of them seem to have the same prices. I can't tell if they're made by different companies or what, but is there a replacement that you guys generally suggest over the others?

Rexroom posted:

The frame rate jerks are just TP's way of registering hits with the sword.

Just got to that (yeah, I'm an idiot and couldn't find the sword) and yeeeeshhh that's jarring.

The jerkiness I was talking about was during some of the cut scenes oddly enough. Also, the character design of the villagers is downright hideous.

How come this game got an HD treatment when they could've just put that effort towards the new game? I looked at the old one and it doesn't look radically different (graphically anyway) and they could've just as easily put it on the VC.

I'm still keeping an open mind. Hope to god I get out of this village. Quite glad I got it on sale. Had I got this full price I'd probably be holding a grudge against it.

On a more optimistic note, are there any other games, 3DS or WII/WIIU, in line with Xenoblade X. So far that may be my favorite game on the console. I'm a little over half way through and it's just about edging out Bayonetta 2 as my favorite. I'm definitely gonna get the first one on the VC (or get a legit copy if I can find one).

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

oddium posted:

you can literally just use a pair of candles, all the bar does is throw off infrared light. i doubt anyone makes the four leds better than anyone else

haha thanks. Got it.

On a random note, does anyone think that the NX is going to be a bit behind, power wise, again considering the PS4NEO and Xbox scorpion or whatever on the horizon? Or is it complete speculation at this point.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Dreamland 3 is also really good so I'm not sure why you would assume it's bad.

People think it's bad?

I've never played a Kirby game I didn't like.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm excited for Tokyo Mirage Sessions

I was but now I'm kinda bummed to hear that they wont have English voice acting.

It was nice to be able to do some tidying up or something else while listening to the cut scenes in Xenoblade X. The argument that it's for authenticity seems a bit dumb and honestly comes off cheap and lazy rather than an artistic choice.

I'm sure it'll be fine and probably the last good exclusively wii u game we get.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Rexroom posted:

Yeah, it'll be another JRPG in my backlog until Zelda U arrives next year. Although Nintendo's 4Kids-treatment on the game is making me slightly nervous...

Those were/are hideous but I don't think it'll reflect the gameplay. That's about as optimistic as I'll get about it.

Artix posted:

It's not about authenticity, that was a bullshit excuse from the start. The game loving cratered in Japan and there's no reason to believe it won't do the same here, so they're not bothering with dubbing it.

How bad did it do?

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Looks alright but I'm not in love with the character design. I can look past it if it's fun enough. I had he same issue with freedom planet.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Haha I wasn't expecting someone to flip out over that revelation.

FWIW I'm not so upset that I'll not get the game. Just bummed because it feels so cheap.

You'd think they'd go all out in what will likely be their last good Wii U exclusive.

Like someone else pointed out, I can see why they won't spend much more on it considering how poorly it sold.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I thought Altus almost always did that sorta thing. And while I haven't preordered Mirage, I'll probably be preordering whatever special SMT Apocalypse set they've got.

Again, I'm not as upset as that other guy. I'd just prefer English voice acting over a special edition.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Polo-Rican posted:

Seeing as Link doesn't say a word in any zelda game, honestly, they should have had a male/female option a long time ago.

Yeah I'm on board with that.

I think the only thing that bugs me about the game is that it's no longer going to be a Wii U exclusive

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Should I pre order TMS

will it be good?

Will the jpop tunes make me want to blow my brains out after a while?

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

well, I preordered it. if nothing else, I really like how colorful it looks

that does have a very catchy chorus.

I read that initially as "Absolutely" and not 'absolutely not' at first.

does anyone have any idea why this game did so poorly in Japan?

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I think I'd welcome it if they changed (truth be told, Zelda is far from my favorite gaming franchise, not to say I dislike it, but I wouldn't put it in my top 10) Link to a girl or made the gender an option, but does anyone think that would hurt or help sales?

……now Kirby on the other hand, if they lay a finger on Kirby……

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I still hope they surprise us with something new for the WiiU

I know they probably won't but one can dream

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
What are the odds that we get any new games announced now that they slipped the new Mario party onto the 3DS?

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I'm tempted to refer to Link only in gender neutral pronouns just to tick off some geeks because this is a dumb argument.

Let's argue about something else. Like what else we have to look forward to or something.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Paper Mario got a release date of October 7th.

:(

Something cool.

Also, how would you guys rank SF Zero because I can't get a straight answer anywhere and I've somehow never played a star fox game.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

ColdPie posted:

Any of the games on sale any good? Splatoon and SSB4 seem like obvious pickups. Is the Kirby game any good?

I love Kirby a lot but it's not the strongest. Co-Op is fun, but at times the stylus control feels tedious. It's still really charming though.

Splatoon and SSB4 are a must (though, and I may be the odd man out on this one, I ended up enjoying the controls on the 3DS version of Smash a lot more, even if the Wii U one looks prettier)

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Can you guys move this insufferable argument to the Zelda thread. It's realllllyyyy annoying.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
the more people argue about not wanting link as a girl, the more I yearn for it and I'm not even the biggest zelda fan.

for all the zelda I've played (the gameboy ones and the NES one and LTTP) Not once did I think Link's dick was integral to the story.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

less laughter posted:

A dick does not make someone male or female.

you know what I meant

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
they've done it.

they've created the ultimate diversion.

now that we're arguing about link we'll ignore the impending drought of games until the NX arrives

monsters

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Tender Bender posted:

I mean Zelda looks cool but I still can't believe they basically took a pass on E3 when they have a new console allegedly coming out in less than a year.

Yea my thoughts as well

Has any other company transitioned so poorly into a new console?

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Tender Bender posted:

Nintendo themselves in 2012, I guess.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Nintendo, when they released the Wii U and somehow could not effectively communicate that it was an entirely new console and not an accessory or something for the Wii.

was there a massive drop off in games for the wii the same way?

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The last year of the Wii was full of localised JRPGs and other smaller releases and they stopped coming the moment the Wii U was out, more or less. (The 3DS is in that phase right now). DS fared a little better.

at least those 3DS games we're getting are really good. I think as of this moment I'm looking forward to SMTIV:A more than anything else (Zelda included)

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Yeah, it's great if you like the games they're bringing over but less great if you don't.

The Wii's last year or so was like, Xenoblade, Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Fatal Frame 2 and Rhythm Heaven Fever, I think, so it's not hard to see why people might just write off the system if they don't care for niche games.

well we've got TMS so that means they've gotta give us at least one more JRPG for the WiiU……right?

I should concede to the fact that TMSFE is the last WiiU exclusive I have any interest in and dig into my back catalogue of Wii games I never played while I debate over going to the PS4 or NX.

Unless the NX is outright replacing the 3DS too, in which case I'll go to that by default as I've always preferred handheld systems anyway.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Sam Faust posted:

Hey now, let me tell you about this neat upcoming game called Paper Mario

For all I know it could be fun as hell but there's something about it that just doesn't look good.

The implication is that the NX will supplant both the Wii U and 3DS, yeah.

Nintendo can't twilight the Wii U they same way they're doing with 3DS and prior consoles because there's no backlog of games for them to bring over - everything that might conceivably come over is already here or has been announced already and everyone who might make something new for Wii U is already working on NX or mobile.

I guess I'll get an NX then.

I hope there's a XCX sequel on it.
It's a shame there's not something floating in the ether that they couldn't localize to just hold us over, even if it's weird.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
you nerds are making me resent the beautiful WiiU and Zelda

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Zas posted:

impossible, we don't actually have the power to tarnish something so beautiful

more content
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIrY56yg7dY
this is earlier in the stream, I'm not watching it cause I like the very early game unspoiled, assuming that's what this is

impossible as it may be these egg suckin' turds are doing a fine job of it.

at least I got in three good splatoon matches in a row

Splatoon is so very good. I needed that reminder.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I actually like Kamen Rider/Most Tokusatsu so I'd play the hell out of that.

I didnt realize, eshop games aside, how small this console's library must be. At least it'll be easy to finish collecting all of the good games (and some of the middle ground ones).

I'm just wondering if SF Zero or Windwaker will ever go down in price retail-wise.

I know WW has an alright sale going on but I prefer owning the actual game.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I'll play color splash because nothing else is coming out.

Maybe I should pick up SF Zero. I'm still on the fence for how much it costs.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Star Fox is very good, depending on how you felt about Splatoon's motion controls at least(I loved them)

I love Splatoon's controls, so if that's how it goes, I'll probably enjoy it.

For those on the fence like me, it looks like Star Fox has been bumped down to 40 bucks on Amazon so now's probably a good time to pick it up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Mr E posted:

Is #fe gonna be good

My guess is GOTY honestly

• Locked thread