Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ultigonio posted:

Hoo boy! I don't wanna' get too crazy, here,

Yes you do. Don't let OP bias get in the way of listing all the worth playing Wii games.

Ultigonio posted:

I don't think I'd recommend the first NMH too much.

Like this, what the hell? First NMH is easily the better of the two.

I guess if you want to keep things from going on forever, then have the first three rows normal sized box art, then half size the rest. Could probably fit everything worth playing on the Wii onto a single screen that way.

Like we can for WiiU right now! :v: BTW Shovel Knight should totally be in the OP.

EDIT: did a quick count, I'm pretty sure we can agree/vote/bicker for only a few weeks on a "top 18" list for Wii games and every other recommendation can be half sized.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tender Bender posted:

I mean who is this list even for, no one is going to pick up a Wii U and think "Hell yes I'm ready to drop a couple hundred bucks on 30 used games." List the half-dozen universally praised titles and if people want to dig deeper they can ask or check any number of other resources about it. We don't need a list of every Wii game people enjoyed playing.

Well, it was probably the most asked question in the last thread, and the WiiU being backwards compatible is a big selling point considering the other two consoles out right now aren't. Though I do agree that the list of Wii games it shouldn't overshadow the WiiU itself, since that's the system this thread is about.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
In other news, Bayonetta 2 is confirmed to have nice water.

Cute status unconfirmed.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Whoops, turns out my link was to a blog post from last month. Here's one from this month.

Actually the whole blog is worth giving a look. Some of their posts are really technical things that get into the really nitty-gritty details (like that one about damage motion), while others are more about design work, but all of them are worth a read.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Very cute.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

greatn posted:

It's there a single person who was going to buy the WiiU but now won't because it isn't getting the yearly call of duty? Is there a single person going to get rid of their WiiU because Assassin's Creed 8 won't be on it?

It's mostly an issue of availability. Like, I had a GC back in the day, and it had great third party support. I would have never discovered how much I like Need for Speed or SSX if they didn't get released on the only console I own. But now, I buy a WiiU and only get Nintendo games, which is great cause Nintendo games are pretty awesome, but now I'll never know if I like SSX or not cause it's not released on WiiU and I'll never get bored one week and rent it.

For Call of Duty, big whoop, but if you extrapolate that scenario to other, non-sucky games, you'd realize that is a pretty big problem. If somebody goes out now and gets AssCreed 4 on WiiU and likes it then they're poo poo out of luck, no more AssCreed games are coming for their system of choice, guess you need a PC pal.

Not having games on a games console is a bad thing, guys.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Question, is The Fall any good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0YeYhsOWQA

Cause I think The Fall looks pretty good, but this is the first I've heard of it and trailers can be bullshit. Opinions?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

-You can pre-order the DLC packs on the eShop once the new update goes live; anyone who pre-orders both packs will get immediate access to the eight Yoshi/Shyguy characters (you don't need to pre-order to get these, if you buy both packs as they're released you'll get 'em too)

I'm just... staring at this... wondering why this isn't the default way of doing pre-order DLC. "Pay us money now, you get stuff now! Plus the other stuff you paid for when it's released!" gently caress season passes, gimmie whatever you've got done NOW!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

iastudent posted:

Considering a Wii U, but I'm wondering if it can output audio through the AV-out (or other means) while using the HDMI. I use a monitor for my HD consoles but it has lovely speakers, so I usually run audio through the line-in on my PC into its sound system.

Yes. That's the same setup I use. Was even able to jack my old Wii AV-out and plug that into my WiiU just fine.

Be warned, they don't have a Optical out, digital audio is tied to the HDMI and you need to jump through some hoops to get that pumping through a surround sound system, which is pointless cause nothing supports surround sound on the WiiU anyway.

Zonekeeper posted:

Unfortunately, they do not have the same passion for online infrastructure, so you get things like the Dumbest Content Licensing Ever, where your games are tied to both your account AND the hardware and gently caress you if you sell your console and decide to purchase another one later.

You know, now that I think about it, that makes a lot of sense.

Nintendo has a passion for making games.

They have no passion for making a satisfying customer experience.

For comparison, take Sony, they have a lot of communication and collaboration across their world branches. SoA and SoE are autonomous enough to develop and market games pretty much entirely on their own, with full support from all other branches. There's a kind of sysnergy there, where costumer input in Europe affects hardware and online design in Japan. Because they have, if not passion, at least a willingness to improve customer service.

Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe are basically Nintendo Customer Service. Their input into designing software or improving hardware infrastructure is either ignored or implemented on a "when we feel like it" timeline. Pretty much every branch of Nintendo that isn't Nintendo of Japan is devoted to advertising and customer service.

It's not that Nintendo doesn't care. It's that they consider the job done, and so give all their focus to making kick rear end games, and leave the other stuff to the other guys who are doing whatever they can with what they have.

At least, that's the impression I get. I dunno, maybe I'm way off base here, but that does seem to be Sony's key to success where Nintendo is failing, they're more focused on ensuring the customer is satisfied.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 27, 2014

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Nintendo just twitted it's WiiU lineup to the end of 2015

Cool holiday season, but hopefully they have some cards up their sleeve for 2015.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ethanol posted:

You have seen the wii sales numbers right? I mean, how can you call that a product failure.

In the sense that they didn't always work. It's pretty hard to screw up "pressing a button = action", but you turn that button into a specific motion, with no set start and end points and no feedback, and things start getting messy. Metroid Prime 3 was the best use of the Wiimote because you could always see where you were pointing with it, even when you moved the pointer away from the screen.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

axleblaze posted:

It is a badly named system though and you'd think after the whole problem with the Wii U name that they'd kind of be working extra careful to not do this poo poo again.

This is part of the reason I'm thinking that NoA and NoE are basically translation and marketing branches of NoJ. Their input during the naming process is basically nil, so whatever NoJ decides is what everyone is gonna go with, regardless of how bad a name it is.

I mean, I'm hopeful that isn't the case and we'll get Super 3DS, because seriously it doesn't take a marketing genius to realize that naming a new system "New" is ridiculously confusing for everyone who isn't watching untranslated Japanese streams to find out what it is, but so far it doesn't look like that will be the case.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

VelociBacon posted:

Hey, I'm basically new to Zelda and want to play the best/newest one on wii-u. Is that skyward sword or wind waker? Thanks guys

Wind Waker.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks guys wind waker is fantastic!

Made the right choice.

If you still have a Zelda itch after finishing, you can try old 2D Zelda with Link to the Past on the WiiU VC (it's in the eShop) or old 3D Zelda with Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, both in the Wii VC (not the eShop).

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I stopped buying from brick and motor stores because I discovered I really, really didn't give a crap if I got to play a game the day it was released so I just order it online with free shipping and get a fresh copy in the mail a couple weeks later.

Last time I went to EB Games (Canada doesn't have Gamestop, so far as I know), I just ended up browsing the shelves, looking at all the games I had no desire to play, while the one game I actually went in to buy (Virtue's Last Reward) wasn't in stock and wasn't on order, so they had no copies and weren't going to get new copies, and I'm not talking like super recently this was only a couple months after it was released, too.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hedrigall posted:

Sigh... despite hating the first Xenoblade quite a bit, I gotta say XCX looks pretty loving good. I might have to preorder it.

It's the giant robots that can transform in tanks and jets and poo poo, isn't it? There aren't many games I can think of that wouldn't be improved by adding giant robots.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Flagrama posted:

It is mandatory.

It's possible that, as the solution to a puzzle, people thought the teleport would only work once and didn't try it afterwards.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Every major third party with half a brain will be going PS4/Bone/PC regardless of console sales because AAA development needs tons of sales to reduce costs

I'm not sure that's how money works. Sales are supposed to make profits, not reduce costs. Unless AAA development has gotten even more expensive than the last time I looked, which wouldn't surprise me.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Blizzy_Cow posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. Now for a follow up, how would smash bros fare? We have brawl on the wii but the disc drive is going out so it freezes just past the stage select and wgen we tried to let her play it she picked peach, cause ya know.....princess, and she got upset it wouldnt play.

If the disc is itself isn't scratched you should be able to play Brawl on WiiU just fine, along with any other Wii games you have.

Also, Hyrule Warriors has, like, four or five princesses you can play as and is a button mashing haven.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kin posted:

Ah, I forgot about dolphin. I take it that only plays backups too? I'm only really interested in firing up my old copy and finishing it so if u can do that on a pc I'm cool with that.

If you're just interested in playing a game you already own but don't have the means to play it normally then Dolphin's probably your best option.

If you do have the means to play it normally then do that, 1080p on SD games has like a 50/50 chance of looking fantastic or just looking slightly better than normal, and always comes with glitches though they are slowly but surely being removed as the emulator matures.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If you play Hyrule Warriors for about an hour a day, it's easily gonna take you till 2017 to "finish" it. People are not exaggerating, there is an obscene amount of content in the game, even before getting DLC. It's also jam packed with awesome characters and weapons, and there's all really fun to play as (excepting Agitha), there are only like ten maps but they are all well designed enough to never get boring, namely because they have so many different mission types and events and just tons of poo poo happening. Game is dope and everyone should play it.

Also, little late to the Mario Kart cheating talk, but I have to say the king of rubber-banding AI is still Mario Kart 64, because the AI completely ignores the rules when not onscreen.

sharrrk posted:

is it more than smash bros

Yes. Smash doesn't have DLC.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Siselmo posted:

Say, goons, how different are the Metroid Prime games compared to, say, Fusion and Super Metroid? My brother was a huge fan Super Metroid and I was thinking of maybe getting the trilogy tomorrow once I get one of those eShop cards. But if it is a straight FPS like COD I don't think he would like it very much, and most fast-paced FPSes make me extremely motion sick (withh weird exceptions like System Shock 2, I don't even know).

The game is neither or those things. I wouldn't call it "slow", but it's definitely a calmer pace than any CoD twitchfest.

It's Metroid in 3D. Seriously, it's Metroid in 3D, you're not gonna get a more accurate description than that.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

PneumonicBook posted:

That is an absolutely fantastic piece of music. Holy poo poo.
Dedede theme forever

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 30, 2015

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

What are the best GBA games? Don't have to be on the eshop just in general. I played most of the good ones but never played Zero Mission for example, or the GBA Fire Emblem.

Why ask a question you already know the answer to? Get that poo poo and play it, Zero Mission is top-tier gaming.

EDIT: Actually I'm looking at a list of GBA eShop games and I don't really see any bad ones? At least not Urban Champion or Wrecking Crew bad. Maybe Mario Pinball Land? Golden Sun cause it's wordy and kinda dumb? Mega Man Battle Chip Challenge is not Battle Network so I dunno what it actually is so maybe not good? But the rest of the list range from good to great, so really right now it looks like, outside of missing RPG's, the eShop is getting some of the best GBA games.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jan 30, 2015

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Lotta people building up unreasonably high expectations for plat rewards in here. Best case scenario would be what they already have on offer, I don't think Nintendo is willing to give away much more than that for free.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fix posted:

7 of the 8, it looks like.

Anyone remember what games? I'm really curious now.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ruddha posted:

It doesn't matter if Tetsuo is surrounded by a bunch of weird flesh and garbage and bad thoughts and problems, his heart is good, so there's no problem right now. - Kaneda, as Tetsuo expands into the weird flesh monster body horror thing

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Wii U General Discussion - a bunch of weird flesh and garbage and bad thoughts and problems

No but seriously this thread is no longer cute and needs to go back to being cute, everybody go take a couple days off or something. I'm gonna go play my WiiU.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MassRafTer posted:

Which was a good choice. The Galaxy hub was barely more than a level select screen, it didn't much resemble a spaceship/station, it was just some random rooms you went to with no feeling of exploration. It'd been so long since the last true Mario 64 style platformer that I would be OK with them going back to that concept just to see what they can do with it. I like linear levels more but it's cool to bring concepts back too.

It wasn't a good choice since it completely removed freedom from the game, you only had the set path you were given and no deviations, so if one level bored you/was too tough then gently caress you, can't skip it, gotta get at least one star before moving on.

3D World fixed that and got it right, but Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy were still the best.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Huh, interesting.

Here's the live stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNi6ZbMKh_w

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

noirstronaut posted:

I can't think of anything that would work well on touch screens aside from Wario Ware Touched and then those DS rhythm games.

If I remember right, the company that made those have already been making EBA clones for Japanese smartphones.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So, uh... new console/handheld announcement due next year. Codename "NX"

E:f;b

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Poorly cropped screenshot.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, this isn't a proper announcement, for all we know it could be a VC streaming box.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

PC, eh? The idea of "Streaming Virtual Console" grows stronger in my head...

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Anime Curator posted:

I don't really know what to say about this sudden change in direction for Nintendo.

It's not a change in direction, as they're still primarily making games for the 3DS/WiiU, while using their mobile games to try and remind people, hey, we make good games, if you wanna play good games then buy our poo poo! At best we're gonna get one game on mobile before the year is out, with a few more before 2016 closes, and whatever we get after that is still gonna pale in comparison to what we get on the Nintendo made hardware. That and they're, so far, only making new games for mobile, not ports, so don't worry about them treating the market like a dumping ground the way Square Enix has.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Narcissus1916 posted:

WHERE ARE THE CUTE POSTS?

tainted

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Taint Reaper posted:

However the Xbox on the other hand is going to ensure that the majority of sales for games like Kingdom hearst 3 and Final Fantasy 15 are going to be mostly sold on the PS4.

*ignore user*

Holy poo poo this thread got a lot better all of a sudden.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Sire Oblivion posted:

I found this and holy poo poo:

This should be the box art.

I don't get the reference...

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I think I have weird mind, because I can't really think of a game that I've put down for a month and then picked up again and forgot everything. Unless it was mindnumbing dull or convoluted, I'm usually pretty good at remembering where I was and what I did, if not necessarily what I need to do next. Like, I remember taking a break of several months when playing Xenoblade, and when I came back to it I was able to pick it up and carry on without much issue. Hell, I did that with Dual Destinies, right in the middle of a case I put the game down and didn't get around to finishing it till four months later, and I still remembered what was going on and everything. I guess if I'm, say, 50 hours into a Tales Of game and then take a year long break, then yeah, I'd be confused on what the hell I was doing, but for stuff like Hyrule Warriors, really the hardest part would be getting used to the controls again. But then I'm the kinda guy who would watch an anime one episode per month without losing track of anything so I guess I'm just weird.

Anyway, play games, have fun, be cute. Don't do 100% completion because you want more bang for your buck, that's dumb, just play till you want to move on to something else, the game will still be there when you have the time and drive to 100% it, even if you need to restart it cause you forgot stuff.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fremry posted:

Nah, I've just been around these parts forever and when I see posts about Amiibos in the Wii U thread it's usually you. It's also an easy name to remember... jivjov.

I remember people exclusively through their avatars.

• Locked thread