Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
One more day, yet another step closer to Splatoon and Yoshi's Woolly World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Surlaw posted:

All these lists are dumb just recommend Muscle March and who cares about the rest?

Obligatory video post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hcElGydzb8

And yes: That is a polar bear. :allears:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

I have a Wii, well more to the point my wife has a Wii since I'm usually just doing the PC gaming thing but we didn't upgrade to the Wii U when it came out since it was horribly marketed and got panned pretty bad across the board. It looks like Nintendo fixed the image thing with it's showing at E3 but my question is would it be worth upgrading to the Wii U right now since it's a 2 year old console, my wife mostly plays the Lego title games (Harry Potter & Starwars) and Epic Yarn on her Wii but has shown a lot of interest recently in the Disney Infinity stuff which was just announced as only supporting Wii U from now on.

Also, what cutesie games for the Wii U would you recommend that are fun gameplay wise but not hard since she had a deprived childhood and the Wii was her first gaming console ever?

Super Mario 3D World? Unless she sucks at platformers I suppose. It's around the middle, difficulty-wise, and I guess you have to get used to the controls if you're new to the game, but eventually, you'll be tearing up the stages.

Also has Peach as a playable character who can glide for a short while in the air so long as you hold down the jump button which should let you fix jumping mistakes and so on and on...

You could also try LEGO City: Undercover, which is basically a Lego game with an original premise.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Just a note in regards to the Tropical Freeze Final Boss:

Dixie is a good partner on your first attempt for the Yellow Hearts so that you can learn his attacks and his attack pattern.

Once you know how his attacks work, both Diddy and Cranky are better partners to take with you into this boss fight. Cranky's cane practically increases the size of the boss's hitbox when he charges at you and he is your best bet for getting the Shiny Gold Medal (of course, Cranky is the best partner for quickly clearing bosses in general once you've got their attacks down), and if you still have issues hitting the boss, Diddy can make use of his jetpack to keep DK in the air until the right moment (as well as letting you correct errors in your jumping for some of his other attacks).

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Ultigonio posted:

This so hard. I got gold medals on every single level except 6-K and the boss levels.

Here's a tip for one of the bosses.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Generations sort of dragged out and became rather unfun after the beginning stages. As for the Crisis City world, that world was the only world I truly liked out of the latter ones. Also, the final boss was very lackluster.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Endorph posted:

Koopalings own son.

Fact. :colbert:

The babies and PGP are valid reasons for not liking the roster though.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Ludwig von Koopa was and still is my favorite Koopaling. :allears:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Shelf Adventure posted:

Who will you choose?

If you said anyone other than captain falcon, you are incorrect.

Luigi for me.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

OptimusShr posted:

The water levels rocked, it was the mine cart levels that sucked and I will fight you over this. :colbert:

What the hell are you smoking?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

e: just got to a clip of the Metal Mario boss fight and I forgot how good his footsteps sound.

64 Metal Mario's footsteps is glorious and wonderful and I am sad that there's nothing comparable in the sequels.

(At least Luigi's and Jigglypuff's correctly executed Super Jump Punch and Rest respectively keep the glorious PING sound!)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Meh, I go with Luigi like always. I love high jumps and slippery controls and owning Hisstocrats like you wouldn't believe.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Moltrey posted:

God, is Rosalina slower than Peach?

drat.....

I think they are both the same speed... but Rosalina takes more time to reach max speed so Peach can outrun her.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

Booted up the 3DS version of Smash for the first time in many months and was saddened to realize that the stages are generally a lot better. Corneria-chan... :(

edit: Whoops thought this was the Smash thread

Gammatron 64 posted:

Smash Run is way better than the awful party mode in the Wii U version, too. The 3DS version would honestly be better if it weren't for the fact that it's on a handheld and not a console. Big drunken smash bros fights aren't quite the same when you're all huddled around little 3DSes and not on a couch looking at the TV.

I find that there's nothing one version really has as an advantage over the other that the other can't equalize with an advantage they have, except for your preferences.

I like the 3DS version better by the way.

And for this to not be completely out of topic, I just got Captain Toad and Bayonetta 2 + Bayonetta. All set for the rest of winter (and spring perhaps)! :toot:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Robin amiibo is excellent news. (As well as Ness and Pac-Man.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

But it's Male Robin. :cry:

And I like Male Robin the most out of the two so that's great!

On that note, I knew the amiibo would be Male Robin only when I saw that we didn't get female Villager and Male Wii Fit Trainer amiibos.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Apparently new rhythm heaven for 3DS announced on the JP Direct

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sizap1jvoI8&t=44m8s

New minigames and minigames from all previous titles.

Wrestler is back. Hell yeah! :colbert:

I can watch this all day... :allears:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

Just to be clear on 3d world - the only way to detect invisible blocks (which are almost essential to getting a bunch of late-game green stars) is to play with the gamepad right?

loving hell. Wouldn't be Nintendo without useless gimmicks, eh?

For people not paying attention to the enviroment, yes.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

My decision to purchase Hyrule Warriors hinges on one answer. Can you be Tingle? If so, is he some kind of beefy manly Tingle?

Tingle is part of the Majora's Mask DLC. Here's a video showing how he plays like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpsxK4cyRac (Only slight spoilers from the very first Story Mode mission of the game)

He's pretty much Tingle as we know him, his only difference from his canon counterpart being that he beats up armies now.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I was kinda bummed out looking at some of the negative Mario Party reviews but then I looked at Miiverse and saw all the little kids like "mario party is so cool i like bowser"

Bowser Party is legitimately fun: I decided to see it in action with my own eyes (as Bowser) and I almost lost. Luckily, I managed to knock out Spike and Waluigi on my 10th turn after Waluigi fibbed the second try at the Power Star.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Snuffman posted:

Oh and Warioware Smooth Moves is the best party game for the Wii, bar none.

This minigame was THE minigame that my sister and her friends liked to play when they picked Smooth Moves. Not that I blame them.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Champeenship posted:

Crossposting from the MK8 thread, so I can answer your question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jc0HKfbYRs

edit: They just posted like everything on the channel now, like Ribbon Road, Cheese Land, Neo Boweser City, and the new courses (like Big Blue!).

Oh hell yes!

And this too is good stuff.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Speaking of Banjo-Kazooie, anyone remember the music of evil?

As for the Kickstarter? I'll pledge money, but only what I can afford to lose.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Dixie makes the other two partners so pointless it's incredible, why do they even exist?

Okay I guess Cranky has SOME use in getting items over spikes but Diddy serves literally no purpose at all.

Diddy shits all over Dixie and Cranky for most water levels in terms of speedrunning (while Cranky is pretty much the safe option for those due to cane attack) and both (but especially Cranky) are better for bosses when you get good at the game.

It's proven that having Diddy for most of 1-2 makes you go faster through that level as well.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I thought speedrunning had turned it into Cranky Kong Country: Tropical Geezer

Except the water levels yeah

Well, yeah, speedrunning means you're basically taking Cranky when in doubt (and you're basically always taking him for a boss fight) because pogo cane lets you keep your horizontal momentum and bounce of just about anything, but there are times where you want to use Dixie or Diddy as well (for the latter, mostly in the water levels, but he has his uses outside of that).

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

greatn posted:

Actually Nintendo's treehouse was such a critical hit last year all the Devi are doing it, so Sony and Microsoft will have a ton of gameplay.

Now watch Sony and MS gently caress that up too.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Rad Valtar posted:

So Link is my favorite Nintendo character and I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game before. I'm looking at videos of Hyrule Warriors and running around destroying enemies with him looks fun as hell. Would you guys recommend it based on the above?

Yep.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Vookatos posted:

Speaking of first impressions, first time playing Paper Mario. What a great game! I could never get into Mario & Luigi for some reason, and the only Paper Mario I've played was Super Paper Mario. It's not that bad of a game, but after you play it once, it's really hard to come back to.

Paper Mario, on the other hand... I really didn't think it could be better than Mario RPG! The Bowser??? fight in chapter 1 was hilarious! And then I went to a guy in Toad Town to get even more BP, and he screwed me over :( I'm on Chapter 2 now and I can't wait to get my 2 levels of HP back. This game has a really weird leveling system. The badges, on the other hand, are the best thing!
I think the music isn't as memorable as in Mario RPG, but aside from that, the game is way better!!
Between that and Epic Yarn I feel like a child again :haw:

To be honest, once you know how to work the game and where to get badges that increase your HP and FP, you should almost always go with BP whenever you level up in Paper Mario.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

I am going to buy a Ganondorf amiibo for retail price, and I will open him and use him to unlock Ganondorf's Trident in Hyrule Warriors. Then I will put him on a shelf in between Diddy Kong and Toon Link and he will watch me play.

Joke's on you it unlocks gauntlets instead and he kicks and punches through everything.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Treebeh posted:

For once I agree with The Taint Reaper. Mario Party hasn't been the same since the N64 era.

majormonotone posted:

5-7 are pretty good. 4 was trash though

I'm fond of 9 and 10 too. Though my favorites are still the N64 Mario Parties. (Minigame Island! Minigame Stadium! Costumes for your characters! Duel Mode! :swoon: Not to mention I liked a lot of the boards in all of them.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/0...28Siliconera%29

The director of #FE (SMTXFE) has been revealed and it is Mitsuru Hirata known for Radiant Historia. Included in the link is Hirata's experience with Fire Emblem.

Mitsuru Hirata posted:

Before Fire Emblem, I believe most of the so-called genre of strategy games consisted of game characteristics such as “win accordingly, don’t emphasize too much over that process, a strategy to win is more important than position,” and so on. For this reason, units weren’t treated as importantly, and the tide of battle was easily turned using numbers. Such developments were frequent… and I was just not great with that mindset.

However, Fire Emblem was a strategy game with a completely different approach. Paying attention to the units is important! If they die, they won’t come back! You can’t win with just numbers either! Rather than just claiming victory, there’s also the birth of the drama that arises from having your favorite unit win through battles (even if they’re weak).

… I was mesmerized. As I was playing, I realized that each space I moved a unit, each time I hit the enemy, I was writing my own story about it all in my head.

“Ack! Hear me, the now deceased Draug… I, the Armor Knight, shall take on this castle wall in your stead! The rest of you sneak around for a surprise attack!”

“R-Roger!”

“Only I, the Pegasus Knight, can go over these mountains! I must catch up to the others! Their lives are in danger!”

And that’s kind of what it was like… of course, that might be a bit too much. However, I feel that this is Fire Emblem’s greatest charm. I believe that the importance of characters is also a common element in the games we make at Atlus. In a sense, I think that a collaboration between Fire Emblem and Atlus is as natural as it gets! (lol)

This is wonderful and he is a cool guy! :allears: And I don't mean it ironically.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

homeless snail posted:

I was hoping they'd say the pages had amiibo chips embedded in them

Each page has a number that acts as a code.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nintendo World Championship courses to be included into Super Mario Maker.

^^^^^^ :argh:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Hydrocodone posted:

I can't remember if I found it in this thread (I don't think I did) but I'm really enjoying the Wii game the Last Story.

It's got some of the weirdest mechanics I've seen in a JRPG, though I don't play a ton of them. And those mechanics plus strange graphics/animations make it feel very dated and awkward but I'm having a ton of fun WITH them instead of despite them. Plus the story so far (I think I'm 1/3 of the way in) is markedly better than most.

And I haven't watched any of their videos but there is a goon LPing it.

The Last Story is indeed fun and good!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Looking forward to get Parutona in 2015!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Oh man, Paper Mario with save states means I can use Jump Attack as a convenient source of money (so long as I have 10 coins). 999 coins before even entering Dry Dry Outpass and Mt Rugged oh yeah! :smug:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Hey so it turns out hyrule warriors gets loving annoying to play and people saying things like "you'll never finish" confused quality with quantity

gently caress a ranks

That's the point where you begin to learn how to properly use the weapons you have and what to prioritize when you try a map.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

majormonotone posted:

very excited for future GOTY 2016

very very excited

I would legit be even more excited if we get Splatoon's Final Boss Final Phase music as one of the songs that they sing!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Calaveron posted:

But that's the song they are singing in that previously linked video.

Really?!

I can't hear it... :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

It looks just like him. I'm actually wondering if i'm being collectively hosed with or not

:allears:

• Locked thread