Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

The quality of the Sonic games drops off a cliff after Sonic CD. 3D Blast and Spinball were released after Sonic CD, right?

Yeah, but you're forgetting about Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles, unless you're implying those are a drop off in quality from CD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Speaking of people saying the Wii had no games and didn't use motion controls well enough, you should try out Sin & Punishment: Star Successor if you haven't already. I still see copies of that lying around in Walmarts.

Motto fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 3, 2014

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've played pretty much every Zelda other than the CD-i games and none of them are bad games. SS and the DS games weren't as good as the rest, but they still had their own charm and I bet people would've liked them a lot more if they had been pretty much the same, but had not carried the Zelda title. Say what you will about PH/ST's touchscreen controls, mic gimmicks, and timed stealth dungeon (which was cool btw), they had great characters and ST had an amazing overworld theme that I'm glad is in Smash.

Motto fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 4, 2014

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That Wii/3DS game that Yuji Naka's studio announced back in 2011 before disappearing into thin air is apparently still scheduled to release, only now it's a WiiU/3DS release targeted for 2015 in Japan.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/11/11/rodea-sky-soldier-lives-coming-wii-u-3ds-spring-2015/

It's also kind of interesting that "The Wii version of Rodea the Sky Soldier that never released will also be included in first-print copy of Rodea the Sky Soldier for Wii U when it releases in Spring 2015 in Japan.".

From the looks of the one trailer they put out back in 2011, it looks kind of like NiGHTS with shooting game elements.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPPa3H8kZLc

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

Sonic Advance 2 is legitimately a great Sonic game. The other portable entries are very hit or miss (Sonic Rush has a brutal difficulty, for no reason at all), but Dimps did do some good stuff.

I didn't think Rush was that hard (there's a spike due to Altitude Limit being bullshit, but otherwise it's fine), and I liked it and Rush Adventure (which has the dumb boat stuff, but I was replaying levels a bunch anyway, so I didn't even notice the material grinding part) a lot more than Advance 2. I didn't like the Advance series in general, actually. 1 plays the most like classic Sonic, but I found it kind of dull and forgettable, and 2 and 3 get progressively more awful in level design. The entire Advance subseries also has pretty awful special stages, alongside terrible requirements for entry in 2 and 3.

edit: Also Colors and Generations are the only "3D Sonic games" worth a poo poo, and hilariously neither of them are actually 3D games most of the time. At least every Sonic game (except the godawful Bioware RPG), has had good music.

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 15, 2014

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sonic has been so hilariously poo poo for so long that yet another hilariously broken game doesn't even phase me. When a new one gets announced I just wait and see if SEGA has actually managed to put out a functioning platformer worth giving a go (Colors, Gens), or if it's a mess that I don't bother with and forget about (Lost World, Boom).

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Even if you get caught it's pretty easy to just run away and hide in a shadowy corner to continue progressing. The whole thing is just a handful of screens anyway.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ruddha posted:

a question: Do kids today even have the ability to deal with pixel art graphics? my gut feeling is that only people who have nostalgia from like snes era and before would like it, aside from kids who would now listen to eminem to enjoy old school hip hop not like the cr*p we have to day.

Can't really see why they wouldn't. Apart from a few silly people on the internet I've never seen anybody have a universal dislike for sprites and stuff. Remember that GBA and DS games were still mainly sprite-based and tons of kids were playing those through the 00s, and I still see some around today.

Motto fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 3, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Look man I don't disagree with you for once but using a prerendered CG is just flat out cheating.

:thejoke:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

One time I played Demon's Souls for a few hours and it was pretty fun. I should get back to it sometime.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Did Nintendo turn off all online services for the Wii? I felt bored today and bust out the Wii and it won't update or let me connect to its eshop. Is there a way to download the latest system update manually?

You should be able to connect to the Wii Shop Channel, only online functions related to individual games were shut down.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

What are the chances of Splatoon not selling extremely poorly even if it's good as hell

It's a new IP on a Nintendo console.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

enojy posted:

I impulse bought the Hero of Hyrule DLC pack or whatever it's called today and don't really give two shits about Tingle, and I was starting to feel a little buyer's remorse until this. This is actually hilarious. Wasn't he kinda rapey in Wind Waker? Always talking about giving Link a little rear end squeeze or a sensual kiss or something?

I'm thinking you're getting your childhood memories a bit mixed up there

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Seriouschat: One thing I've always liked about Nintendo is that their games tend to have a perfect difficulty curve. I really hate the phrase "hard, but fair" - after a certain point, a high challenge level necessitates a certain degree of unfairness - but Nintendo seems to always know when to stop just short of that mark.

I'd agree in some cases, but in others Nintendo just makes their games way too easy. In 3D Zelda, for example, the combat is pretty braindead easy from start to finish in most of them.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Spectacle Rock posted:

To anyone just joining us, the consensus of the past 50 pages is as follows:

*If you don't already own Super Mario Galaxy 2, go buy it right now for $10 on the eShop or you are making a huge mistake. Still great for $10, no graphical upscale, boots from Wii U menu at least.
*Shovel Knight is a great platformer.
*Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is also a really good platformer. Breasts everywhere is a good thing.
*If you buy an external hard drive for the Wii U it really should be one that has its own power supply.
*Coming soon is Metroid Prime Trilogy for $10; you also should really really buy this if you don't own the disc already.
*Some people like Super Meat Boy and some people don't.
*Zelda games are easy.
*Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is one of the best platformers supposedly but it is super hard; requires no waggle.
*Donkey Kong Country Returns on the Wii; mixed opinions on the Wii Version versus 3DS Version; most hate the waggle on the Wii.
*People really want a 3DS Player for the Wii U.

I can agree with all of this, except for the 3DS player thing. I've heard that some games played through the Vita TV already look kind of meh, and the 3DS would be even worse.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Some of the finishers and overblasts were cool the first time you saw then.

I got nothing other than that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

absolutely anything posted:

They made a bad action game!!

They did their best after getting hired to make a 3D action game, and then the director said he really needed the game to exclusively play with the sideways Wiimote.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

No, it's a piece of poo poo.

Exactly, it's the best that could come from Sakamoto's dumb demands, which is awful.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So, when I said Mario can't be a collectacthon, I just meant that Mario isn't really at his best doing a collectathon.

My response to this is that yeah, 64 and Sunshine feel like different games to the 2D ones, but as a kid I just took it that 2D Mario and 3D Mario were different, and that was okay because they were both really fun in their own ways. Which makes it kind of a shame that in my eyes 3D World/Land feel almost exactly like NSMB but with an extra dimension. Just with more effort put into the music and power-up variety.

Motto fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 29, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

noirstronaut posted:

Collecting the green stars or stamps in 3D World just adds to the fun. It's a new layer on an age-old formula.

Being encouraged to find three hidden collectibles in each stage isn't something new to Mario. It's the same thing as Dragon Coins and Star Coins.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I just don't care about FPS games 99% of the time. Nothing against the genre, I just don't have much drive to play them.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Demon Trains were kind of dicks, but at this point I'm happy to see anything that's actually a threat in a modern Zelda game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

How good are the Mighty Switch Force games?

Good, but they're very much about figuring out the levels for the sake of beating the par time rather than straight completion. Fun, but I got tired of the lategame of MSF1 when it becomes pretty reliant on memorizing what launching blocks to use and when in levels that have a ton of launching blocks in them.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I feel that after SEGA went third party they stopped giving a poo poo about Sonic as anything other than a franchise that would bring profit no matter how glitchy and poorly designed the games were. SA1 and 2 were a pretty weak jump to 3D, but after that they just stopped trying at all.

edit: Though I guess the trouble started when they couldn't get a proper Saturn Sonic out and the failed development almost killed the one guy they left working on the project.

Motto fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 19, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Isn't Sonic properly dead now? I heard SEGA is moving away from console game development and that Sonic Runner phone game was a Sonic Team project.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Metroid 1 would be fun if it had any sort of ingame map and if so much of the game didn't look the same. Some say that's part of the "oppressive atmosphere", but I just find it uninteresting compared to other Metroid games. Even as somebody that thinks that Zelda 1 still holds up well as a fun time, I just can't get into Metroid 1.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

usually about 30-40min, give or take 5-10

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Any opinions on Fatal Frame Wii U out there? It's been out for a while in japan.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Japan is getting SMTxFE this winter, in case it hasn't been mentioned.

I want a yarn Poochie so bad:

That's cute as gently caress goddamn.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Willo567 posted:

So how's Yoshi's Island DS? I keep hearing mixed things about it, but I love me some Yoshi

It's bad. I love the SNES game but could only stand a little bit of DS.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

I hear the anime levels of the Wii-U have risen to dangerously sugoi levels....

yeah it's great

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sire Oblivion posted:

The only good Yoshi's Island is on the SNES, this is all you need to know.

I can only hope Wooly World changes that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The core gameplay is fun and make good use of the gamepad but the anime skeeve factor got cranked way the hell up. Thanks, Team Ninja!

To what extent? I know there's some unlockable bikini costumes or whatever.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lol if you think they aren't going to pick whatever popular option that's easiest to turn into a clone character.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

I do not think I will buy the nintendo game about the boob teen dancing in her underwear.

which one

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Do you not have a PS2, 3, or PC?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

No, no and wait Persona 4 is on PC?

emulation. you could buy a ps2 copy off amazon for $20 and back it up.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

So is the reason everyone is mad at TTR is that he doesn't like Splatoon?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

keep posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Awesome! posted:

this is hosed up

hosed up

but true