Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I never finished it, but I still loved what I played. The main town and the art style were my second favorite (behind wind waker). And I did like the over world areas seeming like more open dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

PoshAlligator posted:

I think they're still good games and I would recommend them if someone wanted to play more NSMB or more Mario Kart?

Even then. Mario Kart Wii was probably my least favorite of the series, by a decent margin.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Wish it wasn't Tekken based. Either way, will be interesting to see what roster they come out with.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Kly posted:

Oh. So what are the conditions for getting gold stars on cups? And is it correct that i only need one star on each 150cc cup tp unlock everything, other than collecting coins for vehicle customization?

The OP has a link to threads. Mario Kart is here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3632104

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

pokeyman posted:

What makes you think this is the case? Do you think nobody in Nintendo's online department can spot the weaknesses noted by Something Awful Forums Poster McFunkerson?

What a dumb thing to white knight Nintendo for forums user Pokeyman.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

pokeyman posted:

Don't get me wrong, I agree with every complaint mentioned, and Nintendo has nobody to blame but themselves. I just doubt Nintendo's unaware of the situation, that's all.

Ha. Gotcha. I have a hard time reading exactly how dumb the thread is being any given moment.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

The worst part about the Hyrule Warriors reviews are how much time the reviewer has spent in each one I've read seemingly shocked that it isn't a Zelda game or a perfect hybrid of Zelda gameplay and Dynasty Warriors gameplay. It's been pretty obvious from day one that this was, just like every other IP used for a Dynasty Warriors game, just a Zelda skin on DW gameplay.

FPzero posted:

I'm surprised that Super Metroid isn't also on sale.

They didn't have Super Mario World on sale during the Mario week either. So at least they are keeping with the norm here.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

RyokoTK posted:

You know what, though? That's a perfectly valid reason to give it a middling review because Musou gameplay is really dumb and bad.

Just because I'm going to buy it anyway, because that's exactly what I want and expect out of it, doesn't make it any better or excuse it for being dumb and bad.

What I'm talking about would be more like them spending a lot of a Mario Golf review complaining that the game is a golf game and not a typical platforming Mario game. I don't really care what scores they give it, it just bothers me how so many of the reviews seemed to have a misconception about what type of game it was in the first place.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

greatn posted:

I think Mario Kart 8 is Nintendo's best soundtrack.

I will never get tired of Shy Guy Falls music.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Old Swerdlow posted:

The level structure of collecting stars in the 3D Mario games is tedious and bad.

The art style and music aren't great either in Mario 64.

Queue everyone posting their favorite Mario 64 song.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cTl0ky4DcHA

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

allfrogs247 posted:

That sounds like it could have been one of the best Wii games ever made. It's a shame it never got released for likely stupid reasons.

Maybe it did us a favor in the long run and it could come to Wii U so we can play it in HD. Well worth the wait if that happened.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Ultigonio posted:

Oh drat, here's some pretty nice news.

Digital versions of Wii U and 3DS games can now be bought from Nintendo's website in North America (go to the Games tab, search for a game). Now, in the future, when someone's just bought a Wii U or is planning to buy one and sees some games on sale but doesn't have the system yet, we don't have to tell them, "Sorry, Nintendo's website is dumb and you actually can't buy games from it like you can for other platforms!" At least, if they're in North America.

Does it then tie it to the first system to download it? If this is a way around the awful account system then hell yeah

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Ultigonio posted:

I would probably say yes. It gives you a download code, which cannot be redeemed more than once. I'm not sure how you're expecting this to get you around the lack of a proper account system.

Ah. Didn't see it was for a download code. Thought it may have been psn/Xbox style and based on the nnid.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

:siren:Amiibo functionality in MK8 revealed:siren:

You get... costumes for your Mii. It works with
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Link
Kirby
Captain Falcon (!!!)
Samus
Fox

And the update is 11/13, so I bet that is when the DLC drops.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Give me that DLC right now.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Saw a Keflings game in that indie game list. Interesting.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I hope toon link gives the same content as normal link.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

F-Zero GX was worth it just because it produced this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZLwM3nyY5g

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Austrian mook posted:

I've literally never felt anything other than complete bliss when I play Sunshine. Maybe the classic controller is giving you issues? Sunshine was clearly designed for a gamecube controller. I don't know what else to tell you otherwise, I honestly think Sunshine controls better than almost any other game I've ever played in my life. There's just so many different tools you have to traverse your environments, both with and without FLUUD.

I always thought the controls and physics were great also. But I could see how playing on the classic controller wouldn't be as good.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Sade posted:

You get a teleport (I think) very shortly after that as well. You can usually teleport within two or three grid spaces from wherever you need to go. Never really understood the complaints regarding travel time in Wind Waker.

You can get the teleport as soon as you have the bow.

I am convinced (after knowing one person back in college when the game came out who did this) that some people never got the teleport in the original release. I never really got the traveling complaints either.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Isn't the teleport mandatory? Or was it made mandatory in the HD collection?

D'oh! Especially dumb of me to overlook since the last thing I did in HD was what requires it. I guess he had just forgotten he had it. Regardless, he spent the entire endgame sailing everywhere and not teleporting until I happened in to his dorm room and was blown away.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Miiverse is the dumbest best thing about this system that I miss when I play games on other systems / the PC. More of stupid drawings popping up when I play please.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I need Xenoblade today.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I said come in! posted:

I'm playing Dynasty Warriors 8 on PS4 currently, and enjoying that game a lot despite how shallow it is. Playing it is making me want to pick up Hyrule Warriors and it was my understanding that Hyrule Warriors is a Dynasty Warriors clone (it's made by the same developer even). But now I see it being compared to Diablo, and that is a totally different type of action game from Dynasty Warriors.

It is Dynasty Warriors.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

There is a good bit more to the equipment than I expected. Is there a non gyro control scheme?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

What time are those demos?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

First game crashed out due to a poor connection error. Other than that hell yeah so far

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

That metal song in the level.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

As a cat and dog owner I will weigh in.

Your own dog > your own cat > other people's cats > other people's dogs.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Otisburg posted:

Awesome, thanks goons. I can get the refurb with it bundled, the paddle, and NSB/L for comfortably under budget.

You can also get the Nes / snes / n64 mario games on the virtual console. Mario Galaxy 2 for Wii as well. It's a good mario console.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

njsykora posted:

Yes, but those guys stopped appearing and the game said I had the maximum crew, still wouldn't work.

That happened to me too. It's super finicky with wether or not all the guys actually make it in.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Szmitten posted:

Went onto Youtube and typed in Art Academy by upload date and oh man so many tomatoes. Who's going for it?

I bit on it. Reviews I read seemed pretty good.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Nintendoland's Mario chase game was my top gaming experience since Rock Band came out for multiplayer. And maybe the most outright fun I've had in a long time with a game.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I set out to pick up New Super Mario Bros U again to beat it before Mario Maker. Just beat it today, and the New gameplay finally clicked with me. I've played the rest, but mostly out of a need to play Mario and never really loved them, but something clicked (once I changed the controls) and I loved it.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

mycot posted:

Smash Bros had character and stage DLC.

But that was a complete game without the DLC. It didn't fill in any gaps or make up for lack of content.

Some 3DS games had questionable DLC, but Nintendo dlc has largely been substantial content added to games that didn't feel like they held content for DLC.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Yeah fair warning to people on smaller TVs. You straight up won't be able to read most of the menus. I am 5' away from a 55" tv and am having a hell of a time reading anything. Devs will never learn.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Awesome! posted:

5' away from a 55" tv. either that text is really tiny or you need some glasses

Ok. More like 8'. But yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Will buy that transfer code for hyrule Warriors so hard.

• Locked thread