Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

This is the best miniature. Every other miniature is inferior to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

"Nipsters" (nazi hipsters) is a real life term. An actual term used in fashion, describing hipsters that are nazis and wear poo poo like that. People who walk around in badly fitted knitted sweaters, ironic trucker hats and swastikas printed on canvas bags, and want to kill all Jews while listening to vinyl records.

John Blanche ain't got poo poo against how bizarre our world can be.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Moola posted:

*paints army yellow for desert camo*

*bases army on green grass bases*

There is only one acceptable colour for bases, and that colour is goblin green.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Since we're already a bit OT with the Nazy thing, I'll add my 2 cents as an historical German player.

Yes, it is very different to collect a German army for a game like Bolt Action or Chain of Command. Historical gamers usually have an actual interest in the period and campaigns and such, but are also usually a lot more detached from the actual forces involved. If we want to play Barbarossa battles at the club, we'll simply need a Russian army and a German army. While I might try to win a game with my Germans against the Russians, I'm not sighing when reading about how "my" force got trashed during Operation Bagration. I'm not rooting for Germany in WW2: I'm reading up about the entire conflict as a hobby history buff, and collecting and painting a specific slice of the forces involved in that conflict. I'm interested in how the infantry tactics on both sides gradually evolved, how equipment changed and how new tank models replaced the old ones and why. But I'd be just as likely to help the Italian player paint up some Bersaglieri or the Russian player some BT-7 tanks. I'm simply less detached to "my" force, and I'm already planning to paint up some British guys when I feel satisfied with the German force that I'm currently working on.

(Of course there are the odd creepy guy who just have to play SS in every game ever, but those are a small minority and I've never seen one in person.)

Also, I would agree that it is bizarre how obvious the 40K Nazi stuff is. How many swastikas do I have on my historically painted 1941 Heer infantry company? Not a single one. How many swastikas are on my historically painted tank support? Not a single one. They used the simplified black and white iron cross that is almost identical to the one used by the German army today. If you want your army to look like German WW2 forces, just paint your uniforms feldgrau and your tanks schwartzgrau, and you're home. Not even the SS used that kind of stuff in the field.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Lichtenstein posted:

PS. I recall some old Avalon Hill game having pink SS counters. Sadly, I can't recall which one was that.

Pink was the designated colour of tank forces in the German WW2 army. So German tanks would run around with pink and black Pennants and pink uniform emblems and so on. Feminazis!?!?!?!?

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Is it a big thing in historicals to have shared collections, or something?

For example, in wh40k, I don't want to play Eldar, so I don't collect them, and as a result...I never have to play Eldar? I really doubt there are any people who outright refuse to play a game if it means they have to be the Nazis so much as 'I have the option to not be the Nazis and as a result I will take that option'.

Yes. It is more common to have collective projects when you play historicals, partly because there are so many more options of periods, games, scales and such. If one guy randomly collects 6mm 14th century Seljuks and another collects 28mm WW1 French, you're getting nowhere. Most groups will either settle on a period or Campaign, where each player collects a relevant faction, or you'll do get together and collect armies together. So you might be 6 guys, buying and painting up a Roman and a Carthaginian army together. Then you play that period for a while, and move on to the next project when you get bored with it.

If you play something like Warmachine and 40K you know you'll always be able to find an opponent with a complete force that you can play with, so you don't need to go through that whole thing. In one way it is simpler, but in another way you lose something, because it is actually very fun to have a collective project and you can get some very impressive forces painted up surprisingly quickly when you do it as a group.

That said, few people are worse painters than historical gamers. I'll dig for some prime examples for the thread when I get home from work.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Really? I thought that with them being older and being more anal about details they'd have better results. Or is it that they're anal about colors but beyond that gently caress it my goopy faced Napoleon is fine? Now I want a scrunt Napoleon give me a scruntoleon

Oh, there's some really good painters in the historical genre. But there are also some really, really bad ones. So my comment was more that you will find some of the worst painted miniatures in that genre, and especially people who have painted badly for a very long time without improving. At least with warhams, a lot of the worst here are done by teenagers, who might improve drastically if they keep painting.
The first group is the people who fetishize old tin soldiers from their childhood in the 19th century. Who will spend tons and tons of money on stuff like this:

Then there's the "gamers", who often paint up large number of miniatures. Many of these started the hobby before GW was a thing. Say what you want about GW, but they did a great job at pushing painting tutorials in their magazines and books, something that didn't really exist in the same way in the historical gaming community. So they paint with pretty much none of the "standard" techniques, it's just flat paint.

The frustating thing with these people are that they often simply say that they can't paint, so they don't want to bother with it. But painting miniatures is not a pure talent but a skill, and I'd say that 99% of those who try to get better will reach a point where they can paint a decent miniature. This is something that I want to give credit to GW for, that they pushed this idea in the 90's that it was a natural part of the hobby for everyone, not just "painters".

One the other end of the spectrum are the painting and building hobbyists, who are often incredible and has blown the Fantasy and Sci-fi part of the hobby out of the waters for a long time, until they are finally starting to catch up. I don't even know where to begin with them, but they generally just paint historical miniatures and don't play historical games:

Browsing Pegaso Models will either make you super stoked to paint, or throw your brushes away forever.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 21, 2014

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

That is what I really don't get. What if someone models all his Tau Fire Warriors with the kneeling legs?

Convert all your close combat troops to be lying prone. No in-game disadvantages, harder to be seen by enemy.

Just handing out pro 40K tips here for free, enjoy.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

rkajdi posted:

I also think the figures you're showing are smaller scale here. Think 10-15mm, vs. "heroic" 28mm (closer to 32mm) that's used in GW or Privateer stuff. A lot of the techniques used on bigger figures don't work as well on smaller stuff. I'll also say that dipping came in from the historical side IME-- I'd seen and used it there on stuff well before it became en vogue for alt figures. The move towards 28mm wargames has improved painting dramatically in ancients, and you now see much nicer armies.

The one thing that this thread really shows me is how much "tabletop standard" has increased in the last decade. It's sort of sad to see people showing that Mantis guy or the fatcrons as awful, since to me they're both interesting conversions with average painting. The kind of stuff you'd want to encourage people to do, not mock people for. These aren't bad boob conversions or nazi stuff, they're your average guys doing stuff.

Nopes, the second one (the unit) are Irregular 28mm. The first one is even worse, it's a Tradition of London pre-pained mini, which means 54mm scale! So very flat and ugly IMHO. But there's also insane talent, and some painters can get amazing results with 6mm, 10mm and 15mm.

Personaly, I believe that one of the biggest boosts for "average" level historical gamers is the gradual influx of ex-GW gamers who started with Warhammer in the 90's and have started with historicals the last 10-15 years or so, bringing a lot of talent and a new attitude towards painting.

But yes, I agree that painting in general has increased enormously since the Internet became a common thing. All these tutorials and forums have spread painting advice (again, it's a skill more than a talent), and the things that was winning Golden Daemons in the very early 90's are more or less table-top quality today. It's amazing. The stuff I started out painting in the 90's would easily qualify for this thread.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

Really enjoying the thought of sending holiday cards with that monstrosity as suggested at the bottom of the page.

Hmmm, how about a tasteful canvas version to put up in my office at work.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

It also actually looks to scale, in that I can imagine 10 marines fitting inside it.

It made me think of a universal carrier from WW2:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Make more Dancing With The Stars conversions, please.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

A role model for chaotic dwarfs everywhere.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

Looks like a regular planetary governor

Planetoid governor?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Len posted:

And go into a thread with quality things? That will ruin my self esteem. I want to at least try a few more things before I venture into a real thread.

Seriously, my first terrain pieces were made of just cardboard, painter's tape and straws. The terrain thread is chill AF and we'll happily give you ideas of how to make more terrain on the cheap, and then how to gradually make it more detailed as you get your feet wet. So don't be scared. :)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Most of the guys I know in the garage-kit industry try to warn people off of starting a casting business. The vast majority lose money at it, but do it because they have a day job to support it, and love turning out unique kits. Only a few turn a profit, and only then because they sell of lot kits of well known characters that will sell well year after year. If you want to do completely original sculpts, forget it, you won't get enough buyers unless you win the proverbial lottery and hit on a property that gains a true fanbase.

I did resin terrain for a bunch of years, starting when I was in uni. I pretty much ran it at zero win-loss ratio. And that's valuing my work time at nothing.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Len posted:

I've been looking around at things to print when it comes in and found this guy

I'm trying to get them to understand it's a terrible idea to try and 3d print a 40k army and still failing

Now that is the opposite of a bad idea :)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

SiKboy posted:

Isnt there like... A huge amount of horny railway stuff? Like peeping toms, nudists, people just loving, all sorts? I remember someone told me its because a lot of train guys like to hide something like that in their layouts as an easter egg/gag, but I have a sneaking suspicion that its really because a lot of the train guys are horny.

Oh hell yes there are so many skeevy model railroad minis.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Tarkin knows that only plates from Lucien Rousselot will do as reference when painting his French cuirassiers. A man of good taste.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ugleb posted:

I had no idea GW sold a branded mug for paint water.

And I am legit surprised they don't do a wet palette. Maybe they think it contradicts their 'make painting look simple' strategy. They may suggest that you buy 30+ colours to do a single model, but you don't mix anything.

GW would never sell a wet palette when the other option is your paint drying up on a dey palette so much faster, or even better the entire pot drying up as it is standing open for long durations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

LashLightning posted:

Kruleboyz have just be announced, look like regular Orc Boyz crossed with Hobgoblins, with a little of the old Fimir use of mists - but more importantly they use silly looking shields with faces on. Got some old orc Boyz, and wanna update them to Kruleboyz? Use these shields from Warmonger Miniatures!

Yeah my response to the Kruleboyz was that I was kinda meh on most of it, as they look more like a mix of WoW orcs and LotR orcs than Warhammer, but I’m completely on board with the return of face shields!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I will defend the assembly cut of Alien3, it was one of the most drastic salvagings of a movie until the Zack Snyder Justice League cut.

I never saw Alien 3 until the DVD box (assembly cut?) and so I didn’t understand what the fuss was about. It’s a decent film in that version. Not great, not awful.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Moola posted:

hey guys we're doing a contest in the CCC warhams thread

its relevant to this thread, or at least the submissions probably will be!

Gonna make a landsknecht duck with a big ol' dong dome. Which doesn't make sense at all, which makes it perfectly warham.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yes, Frodo, you will have to cross the dangerous pitch and destroy the Ring by throwing it into the The Cracks of Doom...

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Zooming high and fast
Gangrene digging deep into
Two exposed gear tits

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

TotalHell posted:

Caravan of Courage is quite bad, but I’d buy a Gorax mini for sure.

This one is suprisingly brazen

https://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/circle-orboros/warbeasts/gorax

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

darkwasthenight posted:

Are they the old Mordheim Empire soldiers? I sort of recognise the bucklers. Shame they killed Mordheim because I liked the format.

Yup those are the old Mordheim sprues that were also reused for Empire Militia. A great set.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Angry Salami posted:

Is this a giant chariot or a tiny Dracula?

Dunno but at first glance the bright wheels made me think he has chrome rims

Then I was disappointed that he doesn't have chrome rims

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

goatface posted:

It's the 50-something gun broadside. Proper orkish design.

"Ok that's a lot of guns, but like, can we stick MORE guns to it?" - late 18th century warhip design

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Virtual Russian posted:

I'm a fine art sculptor in addition to teaching art as my job. The idea that people have no idea about the value of sculpture is across the board. I tend to underprice pretty brutally, but I'll have hundreds of hours into a 3 foot sculpture and had people have offer me hundreds for them.

A 28mm mini takes just as much skill, imo more skill, than if you make a full sized sculpture. It takes less time for sure, but people should expect to pay art prices. No one wants to though.

The art world has a few few percentages that earn well and then a huge amount of people doing awfully underpriced work. I went to art school for a while and it was a great experience in that I really learned that for me it's a hobby, not something I wanted to try to turn into a profession.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ramshackle has the same monster design philosophy as Grendel: a solid lump of resin with some texture on it. You could wreck a home invader's day real bad with those things.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Covermeinsunshine posted:

So this are those NFTs I hear about

For the low, low price of $500 000 I'll sell you a link to an uploaded picture of a scrunt.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

DreadUnknown posted:

Hahahah I had some of those lovely old plastic marines, they had a few others like standard bolter guys and heavy/special weapon guys.

They came in the 2nd ed starter box, sergeant with chainsword, grunts with bolters or flamers and one with a missile launcher. My first 40k minis. :)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Lots of overlap in aesthetic tropes between nazis, commissars, bikers, synth music fans and gay fetish leather daddies (and 40K). It makes calling out bad minis confusing at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Images you can hearsmell in your head