Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Parasyte, Fate/stay night, Terra Formars all gonna own. Might finish Selector Infected WIXOSS and watch s2 but meh.

E: Also if you hate the fish puns in Squid Girl you officially hate fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

the crummy ones.

aka most of that show :smugmrgw:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

darkgray posted:

I think the animation is good. What's bad about it? Feel free to teach me how to appreciate animation properly, if that's an issue here.

Edit: Admittedly this may be the wrong thread for it.

There are people in ADTRW who think MD Geist has really good animation, I'd just ignore it

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Srice posted:

From a historical perspective however they're pretty neat! You can see some elements of what those animators would later refine in their style.

Especially since that stuff is from the early stage of their careers; Obari was only 20 years old when he did that stuff.

This actually makes sense, I didn't really think of it that way. :shobon:

Uznare posted:

lmao you're loving dumb

You're getting really defensive over a terribad 80s OVA, not sure I'm the dumb one here

e: dropping it per Zorak.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 14, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
That second title is literally a syllable away from me giving a poo poo about it.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

Well, you should anyway. It's got some great art and is really not as creepy as you might expect with that title. Aside from the kinda creepy initial premise it's pretty much clean, and really intriguing.

I was making a joke about how "Mahou Tsukai no Yome" is the name of a thing I've never heard of, whereas "Mahou Tsukai no Yoru" is a thing that owns. :thejoke:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Racist bug anime is gonna be so drat fun when the BDs come out.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Namtab posted:

My fave thing about this season so far is all the goons reading the goon reviews warning them away from cross ange and then (un)ironically watching it while popping (un)ironic boners.

Goons tend to hatewatch stuff more than they unironically watch stuff. It's not usually this way in ADTRW (I think Cross Ange is only an exception because it's uniquely awful and its awfulness doesn't require a huge time investment to witness) but in TVIV and CD one of the best ways to get people to watch something is to go on and on about how horrible it is.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

People watch poo poo like Miami Connection or Surviving Edged Weapons because it's legitimately entertaining from how batshit it is, not because they "want to see how bad it gets."

Oh, come the gently caress on. I love both of those, but I love them because they're horrible.

I haven't seen Cross Ange and have no desire to (even without the fanservice it's not really my bag) but it's not really that unbelievable that someone would spend less than half an hour watching the first episode out of morbid curiosity.

e: Wait until the second episode airs and see who stuck around before you start accusing people of actually unironically enjoying it. :v:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Just to give everyone fair warning, Parasyte doesn't really stay outright horror for that long if I remember correctly. It turns into a dark action series, more along the lines of Devilman or Type-Moon's stuff, fairly quickly.

It still loving owns, and the body-horror aspects don't really go away (though they kinda get more cool than scary), but how the series begins isn't necessarily representative of how it ends (or even how it middles).

e: I hope this isn't considered a spoiler, I just see a lot of people talking about it like it's straight horror and if it follows the manga I don't want everyone to be pissed off about the "bait-and-switch."

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 9, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I mean, neither of those opinions are that weird? Parasyte slightly edges out UBW for me too so far, but only because UBW's beginning isn't nearly as interesting as Parasyte's. I'm familiar with the originals of both and, provided both of them stick the landing, they'll probably end up about even in my opinion.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Like I said earlier, it becomes more of an action show later on. "Tokyo Ghoul but not mediocre" is actually a pretty good way of describing the general arc the series takes, tonally/genre-wise.

e: It's not as if UBW had very much action in the first half of episode 0, either. :v: (It's sort of unfair to compare an entire hour-long episode of one show to a half-hour of another.)

e2: Ahahaha, the little changes they're making to Parasyte to make it less early-90s are actually really good. I love how Shinichi's first impulse when Migi reveals itself to him is to google "talking right hand weird snake" and see what comes up.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 9, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Wolfman Nards posted:

It's sort of unfair for me to compare it to anything at all. All I know is that Type Moon is some kind of visual novel series where some of the canon games are apparently hentai and that Unlimited Budget Works has some good visuals.

Type-Moon is a company that makes action-horror VNs with really, really batshit insane premises. Some of them have gratuitous titties in them. On the whole, though, they're quite good, and the original UBW is probably the second-best thing they've ever done (and the best is getting a movie series immediately after UBW is over with).

It's pretty awesome finally being able to recommend people a Type-Moon thing without serious reservations, that's for sure. (Not counting Kara no Kyoukai because, if I remember correctly, the original predates Type-Moon as a company, and it's... a little hairy in the writing department, even with the tweaks ufotable made.)

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Alder posted:

Parasyte: Some reason I thought this was anime original and got excited but actually no. It reminds me of Men in Black w/aliens having their own agendas and the MC just goes along with it. Hopefully, won't be too violent in the later episodes :buddy:

You uh, may wanna check out of this one early.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Working on a Parasyte thread.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Parasyte thread is up.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Twintail anime in a nutshell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2bqWEX5dls

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I mean, I don't really see how gore is a horrible thing, but then my favorites of this season are Parasyte and UBW and I'm semi-eagerly awaiting the Terra Formars blurays, plus I semi-frequently talk up Genocyber in relevant threads, so I'm probably not a great judge. :v:

The rape stuff can definitely get hosed, though. :smith: Shame this poo poo still shows up in anime.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Grouchio posted:

I sometimes wonder if the general quality of anime has been in constant decline these days...

I'm scared to think that the industry may not outlast the current shittiness of Hollywood. :stonk:

We have two Gundam shows that are both really loving good (one of which is a Tomino one, no less), at least four really good non-mecha action shows (Parasyte, Unlimited Blade Works, Garo, Rage of Bahamut), second seasons of a few shows that ranged from good to excellent (Yowamushi Pedal, Psycho-Pass, Chaika, Mushishi, Log Horizon, WIXOSS), whatever you'd classify Amagi and Grisaia as, and a couple good comedy shows. We even have a fun trainwreck show in the form of Twintails, and JoJo is coming back while all of these shows are still airing.

Cross Ange or no, this is still pretty much the best goddamn season in possibly a decade or more. Even if a solid half of these shows spectacularly poo poo the bed, this is still a really good season. How do you even figure it's been in constant decline?

Justin_Brett posted:

I mean poo poo, people were comparing this to Symphogear before it came out, but that's pretty insulting to Symphogear now.

Symphogear was alright, though? Like, it wasn't anything groundbreaking but it had nice production values and it wasn't aggressively dumb or creepy if I remember correctly.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 11, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Garo is unapologetic late-night sleaze (introducing one of your main characters by having him murder an evil demonic sex worker has to be one of the most cliched ways to set up a 2edgy4u grimdark atmosphere by now)

Wait, really? The only other thing I can think of along the same lines is the first chapter of Berserk.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Anyways does Fate/stay night have/need a thread?

It has three, dude.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

and sadly no one has posted about saber's boobies in any of them :smith:

Well what are you waiting for then

e: f;b

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
It's cliche and rote, but it does the cliches a lot better than most stuff. It's also very pretty.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Are we allowed to talk about old stuff here? Because I kinda forgot that Hellsing Ultimate had 4 more episodes come out and get dubbed, and I caught ep 5 on Toonami, and holy poo poo I forgot how insane this show was. :magical:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
My only problem with Hellsing is that it shoots its load a little too early and never really tops Pip's last stand, followed by Seras losing her goddamned mind, going full Alucard and grinding Zorin's face into mush on the wall. Other than that it is the Dopest poo poo.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I mean, Ultimate started in like 04, so you're not wrong.

That said, yeah, it's dumb as hell, but the high points are genuinely really kickass, it has a genuine fresh take on vampires that doesn't involve sparkles and only barely involves romance, and some of the ideas it has are just so absolutely batshit loving crazy that even the not-so-well-executed ones have a certain gonzo appeal to them. Like, one of the minor villains is a walking, talking, teleporting physical representation of a quantum physics thought experiment, and Alucard has Bruce Willis living in his gun.

e: if anything Hellsing Ultimate is a throwback to 90s OVAs. The closest comparisons I can think of are, like, Genocyber and Mad Bull 34.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Is that Hellsing or Hellsing Ultimate? I've never watched the former but I don't remember any wacky comedy bits in the later although that may be because they're just not as memorable as the crazy as hell fights.

Even the most serious bits have stuff like Pip being a massive goonlord regarding Seras, Integra making Anderson's cronies light her cigar despite ostensibly being their prisoner, and Schrödinger appearing out of nowhere in Seras' mind to cheerily tell Zorin she hosed up. Ultimate is actually the sillier of the two by a wide margin.

e: actually, you can pretty much count the times it goes full grimdark on one hand. The only things coming to mind are Alucard killing Rip in that super creepy, rapey way and Zorin making Seras relive her parents getting brutally murdered. Every other major story beat I can think of is at least mildly silly.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Oct 22, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Zorak posted:

Hellsing was the kind of thing that seemed just supremely cool when you were like 15

I will admit that nostalgia from being like 12 and discovering anime is probably a pretty large chunk of why I still dig Hellsing. That said, for how dumb it is, it's impressively entertaining, and the voice acting (at least in English) elevates the material quite a bit.

Also, my phone tried to autocorrect "chunk" to "chuuni" for some reason.

e: also, Parasyte still owns, in case anyone was somehow on the fence. It's basically a more grounded take on Devilman's concept, with a bit of JoJo tossed in for good measure.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Oct 23, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Kubla Khan posted:

I haven't. Should I?

It's more Black Lagoon, with extra gore and a higher budget. If that appeals to you, go for it.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Parasyte is Really Really loving Good okay

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
so I got someone relatively unfamiliar with anime really high back on Saturday night and showed them the episode of Hellsing Ultimate with Zorin fighting Seras and all the merc death

the results were entertaining

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Sidonia is harem bullshit but it's not, like, badly done harem bullshit, and it doesn't get in the way of the other draws like the loving insane art direction and the action in my opinion but what do I know

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

KaneTW posted:

Not even the worst posts on this forum compare to the steaming pile of refuse the Tokyo Ghoul anime is.

He's not talking about the anime though?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I think Tokyo Ghoul totally merits a thread. It's not great, but the worst things I can really say about it are that it's sillier than it thinks it is and plays out closer to a fightmans shonen than it probably should.

WitchFetish posted:

Turns out it's actually a magical girl show :

...is this real? What the hell is this loving show? It's like the Silent Hill version of Twintail or something.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Okay, let me rephrase: I think it merits a thread, but I don't want to make it because I'm bad at OPs.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Redcrimson posted:

Parasyte is like Tokyo Ghoul, except actually good. Everyone should watch that instead.

I... can't actually argue with this. I was going to say that they're not that comparable but the biggest differences between the two are aesthetic.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Grouchio is a gift from the gods and he should be cherished. :colbert:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0l7uphJ-Wg

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I don't even know how to properly respond to the fact that this exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

Someone posted in another thread that some Japanese middle schools was literally using Sword Art Online as an example of popular literature

Not any different from American middle schools using Twilight or Hunger Games, really.

• Locked thread