Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So I'm trying to back up my girlfriends phone to my PC. I did so a while ago and encrypted it, but of course I can't remember the password. I have no use for the existing backups on the PC, but it won't let me disable the encrypted backups without the password. I deleted all of her previous backups off the PC and just want to do non-encrypted backups from now on, but it keeps asking me for a password. Is this possible to do without restoring her phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CoasterMaster posted:

Whelp, my Amazon Visa (issued by Chase) doesn't seem to be supported even though Chase is listed as a supporting bank. My Wells Fargo cards have been added though. Has anyone gotten a Chase card to work?

I have the same Amazon Visa card and it isn't supported for me either. Only my Costco Amex was.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

NinetySevenA posted:

So the high speed camera is awesome, if only for taking slow motion videos of people doing raspberrys.

Yeah it is. The camera is probably one of the main reasons I upgraded from a 5S. I've got a few awesome slo-mo videos that I'll have to upload sometime.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Here's one of the better slo mo videos I've captured with the 6. I like how it turns kids screaming into whales communicating underwater.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05pRpWfKW7k

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

As you said, you have to specifically select Slo Mo in the camera app. When you go to watch the video, you'll see sliders underneath the progress bar. Move the sliders to the section you want in slo mo.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

tuyop posted:

I don't think we have to drop it, this is interesting. The unadulterated review site videos definitely mean that something else is at work. I assume they're posted to YouTube, but if they're inline and hosted on the site's servers, maybe that helps explain it?

Guy who posted that swing set video, would you mind posting it to other sites like Vimeo, Flickr, and Veoh? It'd be good to get the straight file through Dropbox or something too.

I'd do it but I'm too busy right now. :shobon:

Here's the original file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eymxc3d0b1uhpmp/Video%20Oct%2025%2C%209%2051%2057%20AM.mov?dl=0

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Coredump posted:

Can some of you try to edit the order of a playlist of songs in the music app and see if it spazzes out? Mine has been doing this since iOS 7 but I haven't heard much about the issue. If I try to edit a playlist the songs I add won't stay. If I try to change the play order songs will duplicate, disappear, etc. and the edits won't take effect.

Yep this happens to me all the time and is really loving annoying.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tried Apple Pay for the first time at Jack in the Box last night. I held my phone close to the sensor, the Touch ID thing came up. I scanned my fingerprint like 8 times and it said "cannot process payment" like 8 times before I just gave the dude my CC. Am I supposed to be doing anything other than just scanning my finger print?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Apple Pay didn't work at Jack in the Box the one time I tried it. Same issue. It's worked everywhere else I've tried it.

Booooo.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT6534

quote:

Some stores might have this symbol on their card readers and point of sale terminals, but they might not be currently set up to accept contactless payments including Apple Pay. At the current time, this includes 7-Eleven, Home Depot, and Jack in the Box.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BGrifter posted:

I wish we had a chain of Pantera-themed bakeries in Canada. Cowboy Flatbread From Hell. Far Beyond Danish. Frenchbread Hostile.

Mouth for More (Paninis)
Primal Concrete Wedge Salad
The Great Sourdough Trendkill

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Actually chatted about CurrentC over lunch with buds today

You need new friends.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Facebook apps have always been notorious for chewing through battery, even in the background with it's always-on location services.

Go into Settings > Privacy > Location Services and change Facebook from "always" to "while using the app" if it already isn't.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

IUG posted:

I still have to go into the bluetooth settings and tell it to reconnect to the dock every time, though.

Starting with iOS 8, I've had to do the same in my car. Annoying.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pretty sure Southwest doesn't do passbook, which is unfortunate. I just got my first passbook boarding passes today on United. It's really handy. No bags and passbook boarding passes :hellyeah:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Snapchat is for your "lol check this out" photos and videos. No one wants to see an Instagram of a gas station sign at $1.97 with the caption "MIGHT AS WELL GIVE IT AWAY!!!!"

No one wants to see that anyway, on Snapchat or Instagram.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bouchacha posted:

My 4S which I bought about 2-3 years ago keeps cutting shutting down at around 20-30% battery life randomly. One time it shut down with 28%. Last night I was looking at it and the battery went from 53% to 0% and then shut down and wouldn't start unless I plugged it in. I plugged it in just enough for it to boot up and it showed 28% charge, then a 37% a minute later when I checked again. Wtf is going on? Should I just replace the battery?

It's jailbroken and on iOS 8.1.2. Battery life shows a decreased capacity of around 77%, nothing too ridiculous.

Your battery is dying. A battery replacement, or a new phone are your solutions.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dream of Janney posted:

Ordered some 6ft. AmazonBasics cables from the OP and am hoping my phone/house/life doesn't melt away.

These are the literal best Lightning cables out there, and semi-cheap as well. The only downside is the connector piece you hold is fatter than the one on the Apple, so you have to be careful if your case covers the bottom of your phone.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

My Mac lets me type in reminders "Take the garbage out Wednesday at 8PM" and it creates the reminder called "Take the garbage out" with an alert time of next Wednesday at 8PM. Beautiful. My iPhone creates a reminder called "Take the garbage out Wednesday at 8PM." I have to click the little (i) and use the date picker to set an alert. Or use Siri I guess. But it still disappoints me.

There's your miniscule Apple gripe of the day.

Use Siri and say the day/time first.

"On Wednesday at 8pm, remind me to take the garbage out.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It still gives me loving edited songs :argh:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

tuyop posted:

Even if you have the explicit version in your library?

Yup.

This. It's weird.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Yes, even if you have the explicit version in your library, assuming it matches them. If it's not matched, it uploads your version, which will of course be explicit.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I haven't done it in awhile, but I understand it matches songs when it can now, so it's not actually uploading unless all you have is 2 hour EDM mixes.

iTunes Match does this. Google Music, if I remember correctly, uploads everything.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thwomp posted:

I'm no longer using iCloud backup because I ran out of of my 5GB space within two months of getting my iPhone 6 (and having iCloud Photo Library turned on).

It took you 2 months? I think I ran out of space after 3 photos and 1 video. 5GB is absurdly too small, and the reason why my phone hasn't been backed up since like the second week I had my 6. It's too annoying to plug in and clean off on a weekly basis.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Loucks posted:

Anyone run with a Garmin Forerunner 620/220 and an iPhone 5s? I'm tired of my android device dropping connection and ruining livetracking (among other issues) and am hoping bluetooth actually works properly on apple devices.

My girlfriend uses the 220 with her 4S and it works great for uploading, when Garmin's servers aren't loving down. Don't think she's tried the live tracking yet though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It depends on that person's settings. You can choose to send iMessages from your phone number or your apple ID.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

shootforit posted:

Anyone else having a weird volume issue?

I can be actively using my phone, going in between apps, listening to music, etc, and out of nowhere the volume will reduce drastically. Without the volume bar moving.

It turns itself down so much that when I do turn the volume bar up all the way, it is not loud at all.

Usually volume all the way up while wearing EarPods will hurt my ears. Not when this happens though.

A reboot always fixes it. Any thoughts?

I have this problem all the time on 8.1. It's incredibly annoying.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It's been a thing for how many years, and it still never works for me either. Save yourself the frustration and don't bother with it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

banana allergy posted:

Software updates exist to make your phone better. A phone will usually handle several major updates until it starts to suffer, and by then it's essentially no longer state-of-the-art hardware and you need to decide whether you want to pay for the new fast thing or hang onto the old one until it gives out.

Except when new versions run like poo poo on old hardware. My girlfriend has a 4S and iOS 8 runs AWFUL on it, and of course there's no way to downgrade.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I just cleaned most of the pics and all of the videos off my phone. I'm left with 178 pics, yet when I go into iCloud settings, it says that my next backup requires 6GB of storage for my camera roll. It seems that Photo Stream and iCloud Photo Sharing both doesn't count against the iCloud storage, so I'm stumped as to how I need 6GB for 178 pics and no videos. Any ideas?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The Dave posted:

Try toggling the photo library backup on then off again to force a recalculation.

Yeah it went down to 5.6GB after toggling camera roll backup, and even deleting my existing backup and re-enabling. Balls.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I just cleaned most of the pics and all of the videos off my phone. I'm left with 178 pics, yet when I go into iCloud settings, it says that my next backup requires 6GB of storage for my camera roll. It seems that Photo Stream and iCloud Photo Sharing both doesn't count against the iCloud storage, so I'm stumped as to how I need 6GB for 178 pics and no videos. Any ideas?

From a number of pages ago, but I figured this out.

Apparently, the "Recently Deleted" album contained a shitload of phantom photos from a long time ago. They disappeared form showing in the album, but they actually still existed somehow.

I rolled the date back on my phone a few years, and they magically appeared. There was about 1000 pics, including tons of burst photos. After I deleted these (manually, why the gently caress is there no mass select option yet?), my Camera Roll went down to a more reasonable 400MB.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wiggly posted:

Why do I have to use the loving iBooks app now to listen audiobooks?

Hmm, I have no clue...

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

yardblog posted:

Has anyone else's bluetooth functionality poo poo the bed after updating to 8.4? I was previously 8.1.something and pairing with my Mazda 3 worked flawlessly. After a fresh update/restore to 8.4 my iPhone won't detect my Mazda at all.

I had to re-pair all my devices, but I'm not sure if that was due to 8.4 or the 8.4 jailbreak.

robodex posted:

Yeah, could be "me too" syndrome but my GPS was awful today... Super clear outside, in the suburbs and I couldn't get a good GPS lock.

This too. It took about 10 mins to get an accurate lock on where I am, when it usually takes 10 seconds.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wulfolme posted:

I don't want my technobrick doing anything I didn't tell it to. I turn off the sync functions and put everything on the phone manually, and I like it that way.

-- My 65-year old parents

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So regarding the restrictions menu, is there an easy way to toggle them on and off?

Say I want to block my son from watching stupid videos of other people playing Minecraft (YouTube app deleted, and Safari disabled in restrictions), but want to be able to easily toggle it off if I use the iPad? Going a couple menus deep in the settings, entering the restrictions passcode, then re-enabling the Safari slider then doing the reverse when I'm done is a bit cumbersome to keep doing over and over. Is there an easier way? Or perhaps a better way of restrictions? I'd like to avoid real parenting if possible.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pro Clip USA

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Will a Verizon phone work on ATT? Or are there LTE band restrictions that will get me?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Specific Answer:

All Verizon LTE phones are unlocked.

For iPhones specifically: the iPhone 5S (and 5C) and newer has all the same bands in it, so it would work fine with ATT.

The Verizon iPhone 5 does not have all the correct bands, so it would work on ATT, but no LTE.

Since there is no reason to be buying a 5 now a days, you should be fine.

Thank you.

One follow-up question: I am the one currently on ATT. My work has 3G repeaters inside the building, so I don't get LTE when I'm here. If I get a Verizon phone, will it also be able to use ATT's 3G bands?

And just to clear up the why-the-hell-are-you-buying-a-Verizon-phone question, my girlfriend is on Verizon. She has a piece of poo poo 4S with a dying battery and needs a new one badly. I'd buy a 6S using her Verizon account, then give her my 6 and do the SIM swapping. I am on ATT unlimited data, so I still have to wait 2 years to upgrade my line.

So I guess my ATT 6 would have to work on Verizon, and the Verizon 6S would have to work on ATT.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 3, 2015

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Sorry for the delay, I didn't check this thread for a day or two.

So there are a few different things that just make this slightly complicated for you:

1a. When the Verizon phone has an ATT SIM, it basically ceases to be a Verizon phone. It just works on ATT's network, so you should expect ATT network performance as usual.

1b. As an aside, ATT and Verizon use different 3G everything, the newer iPhones just happen to have both bands, which is why they can work on both networks. Basically, the only thing ATT and Verizon have that is impossible is LTE. That's good for the future, but LTE only phones are still just not anytime soon.

2. The Verizon 6S would be fine on ATT. Point #3b is an issue.

3a. So, until a month ago, Verizon just didn't take non Verizon phones. You were just poo poo out of luck. What's changed is that Verizon now takes most iPhone 6 and 6+ models (some of the European ones won't provision for whatever reason). So that WOULD mean your 6 will work on your girlfriend's Verizon account. Except that....

3b. Your iPhone is most certainly locked to ATT. Nothing Verizon can do about it, it just will only accept an ATT SIM. ATT does unlock phones, which would solve your issue. However, they almost definitely will not unlock your phone until your two year contract is over. the phone has "to be paid off" for them to unlock it.

So basically, I think you're hosed on your phone swapping plan. On the upside, only having an iPhone 6 isn't the worst thing in the world, right?

Thank you this made total sense.

I'll probably just have her switch to ATT if she wants one then, just to avoid all the hassle. I totally forgot about the carrier lock on ATT phones. Bummer.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Trying to find the best way to get my girlfriend on my account in a mobile shared plan.

- She is currently on Verizon, out of contract.
- I am on ATT with an unlimited data plan. I am willing to give up my unlimited, because going on their 15GB shared plan would save us both money per month.
- She wants to keep her number.
- I am not upgrade eligible, but she has no interest in paying for the new phone. I have a 6 that I would give her, and I'd take the new phone.

Do we have to buy a 6S using her name/number, and just select ATT as the provider? Then later can I add her phone to my account, then SIM swap so I get the 6S and she gets my 6?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

banana allergy posted:

I would add the new line at time of purchase (you can buy it basically however you like) and port her phone number over then. That'll activate the new phone's SIM card on her number immediately and all you'll need to do is swap SIMs out. Back your 6 up ahead of time so you can erase it and give it to her to set up as soon as her number is on it.

Make sure she has no outstanding bills on her Verizon account and brings the Verizon account number with her when you go to buy the new phone so the number porting goes smoothly.

So it'd just be like me buying a new phone and adding a new line to my account? Is there an option to port a number over after selecting a new line? Or do I have to call ATT to get that done after I get the phone?