Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How much over-provisioning does an iPhone have, or should I not worry about flash wear?

I had been below 1GB free memory on my 5 for a long time, but I've recently been able to cut back and maintain about 3GB free. Since the camera is still 8MP, I think I should be okay with another 16GB other than "future proofing".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Radbot posted:

I'm no master of global logistics - why would Apple create the sapphire in the US and then ship it to China? Is this a special proprietary tech that only GT has?
Lots of things use raw materials from the US, shipped to China for manufacture, then shipped back to the US for sale.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Vintimus Prime posted:

So with the scaling issues, how bad of a performance hit are we talking about?
Based on Apple's track record, it won't affect usability.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

I ordered the gold one. Gold brings luck!
If by luck you mean it draws the eye of pickpockets and muggers. :colbert:

(Nah, it looks cool and I also got one, but it was gray for me all the way)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DarkJC posted:

Agreed, and reachability overall feels like a quick hack. I'll reserve judgement until I actually have the phone in my hands though.
I'm not really sure what else you can do. The Galaxy S5's solution is to literally shrink the screen, which is even more ridiculous:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXWFtYyTEWQ

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 12, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

I dunno, this seems way better than making the screen about 1/3 its size.
Apple isn't actually shrinking the screen. They're sliding everything down momentarily so you can access stuff at the top of the screen. There's a difference to the approaches here. The Samsung approach seems to be to have you use 1 handed mode for extended periods, in which case you are a moron, why did you buy a phone that was too big? The Apple approach gives you momentary access to the part of the screen you can't reach and returns you to full use of the screen immediately after.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DarkJC posted:

I'm really not a fan of the Samsung method either, it feels just as hacky. But I don't really have a better solution for the problem.

The "slide to go back" feature they introduced in iOS 7 will go a long way towards mitigating how often you need to reach the top of the screen. I already use it even on the 4 inch screen and it's to the point now where it's jarring when apps don't support it.
Yeah, I use slide to go back on everything. What I wonder if whether the average user is aware of the gesture since there's not a user manual that people read.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

illcendiary posted:

Not sure where else to discuss this, but apparently Apple is getting a 0.15% cut of every purchase made with Apple Pay. It's going to count on people going through the hassle of getting their cards set up, but that's an incredible amount.
Apparently you just take a photo of your credit card and the software does the rest. The only thing easier would be tapping the card to the phone like it was an NFC reader.

They need a huge marketing campaign about this.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Don't you mean they extracted it from the payment processors? Visa, Masterard, and Amex?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

89 posted:

Preordering iPhones is the dumbest thing ever. Preorder it online and get it like 3-4 weeks late. I've been to 4 iPhone launches with my local AT&T stores and just got there an hour before opening and always got my new iPhone without problems. There's even donuts & coffee :dance:
You were obviously not there for the iPhone 4 launch, or you live in the middle of nowhere. At Apple's flagship store in Atlanta, I got in line around 5:30am and didn't get mine until nearly 16 hours later.

Apple did feed us and I was there with friends, and it was a nice summer launch, but 6/22/10 never forget.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

lowercasejames posted:

I got the Note 3 for work and gently caress it's terrible. Just an awful brick piece of poo poo that I CARRY AROUND LIKE A JACKASS because it doesn't fit in my suit pant pockets and I have to wear a goddamn suit every day and I look at our CIO and I'm like WTF MAN. WHY. I go to my 5S for personal stuff and it feels like the smallest thing ever, so that's just another way the whole massive phone thing messes with me.

So I got the 6. Not the 6+. I should add that I'm a normal 5"11 dude, not some primordial dwarf with hands the size of cockscombs. This trend of larger handsets in order to make a phone as thin as toilet paper is getting annoying.
Preach brother, preach!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

benisntfunny posted:

Probably the part about that being how much it costs last year. And the year before.

If they can magically afford to move to 64gb for a $100 more then it's quite obvious they could have afforded to do 32 instead of 16.
They didn't magically afford to do that. They did it to draw people away from the 16GB model. Remember, the 16GB outsells all other sizes combined. It's not a matter of being poor. It's a matter of us goonspergs not at all representing the average iPhone user.

quote:

It's a move done out of greed rather than customer focus. They make enough profit where they shouldn't have to resort to poo poo like this which will inadvertently end up turning away customers who buy the 16gb model, fill it full of poo poo and then not understand why they're having problems. And you could argue that they shouldn't be mad when someone explains to them they needed to get a bigger size and why but they will. People expect when they pay X dollars for something that it works worry free. They will also probably be informed by someone that had they used Android they could have just popped in more space as needed.
Again, we're not very representative. The average smartphone user, if they have an older Android, did not know they could upgrade storage. And it's a moot point now since new Androids have gotten rid of expandable memory.

People understand their phone running out of storage and needing to delete things. They don't understand dynamic storage and file management. If it was SO important, a feature that Android fanboys point out they and everyone should want because why would anyone NOT want file directory access to their smartphone bc obviously it should function like a PC, then nobody would buy iPhones.

quote:

Don't make phones that shoot 240fps 1080p video and whatever huge MP option they're at today and never increase the capacity to store it on the phone.

The change impacts me positively because I've bought 64GB since the 4S and now it will be cheaper but I'm not goony enough to think most people know better.
Okay, let me speak as someone who has always bought the $200 entry model. I went with the 16GB iPhone 6 specifically because it's not a "whatever huge MP option" but actually the same MP as the iPhone 5/5S. I don't keep music on my iPhone, maybe a few Podcasts, I have around 200 apps, and I take a lot of pics/video of my cats. I currently and usually have between 4-5GB free, though I do regularly offload photos/vids to my computer, which I assume most people don't. That said, the average smartphone user won't be taking much, if any 240fps video.

Would I have liked 32GB as the base model? Sure. But I understand why Apple increased the storage of their $300 and $400 options, and it doesn't affect me since, as far as resale value goes, a premium generally only exists for the highest storage model.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 15, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

the kawaiiest posted:

I'm honestly kinda wondering why they did it. I mean give it away for free, okay, but force it into people's libraries like that is kinda rude, and not really a good move imo.
A little intrusive, but it's not actually downloaded onto the phone. It's just "purchased" to your account.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

http://time.com/3377972/why-apple-didnt-use-sapphire-iphone-screens/

It still baffles me that so many people jumped on the "sapphire is the ultimate screen material" bandwagon, when anyone who paid attention in high school chemistry could be able to tell you otherwise.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Remulak posted:

Did that really baffle you?
You're right, bad choice of words. It annoys and frustrates me.

People are dumb. Jesus, even journalists are dumb.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Laserface posted:

I don't think Steve would have launched the watch, it seems to be a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist, and I find it amusing that Samsung essentially beat apple to market based on a rumour of an iwatch which now apple is launching to keep up with Samsung.
First to market doesn't necessarily mean anything. The Samsung Galaxy Gear is just about a year old and was being cleared out by Best Buy for $60 despite an original price of $300.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Athletic Footjob posted:

My 48 hour EDM mixtape.
I literally loled.

But no one worth their salt listens to EDM mixtapes longer than 90 minutes. :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

The bulge is an entire camera.

Why is there a smartphone on the back of that point and shoot?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Hey I guessed the day for the NDA lifting correctly!
9PM ET no less.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Wow, The Verge really liked the camera in the 6+.
It makes me wonder if I shouldn't have gone for the 6 since I mostly take low light photos, but then I remember the 6+ is way too big for me to use. The 6 is supposed to have digital image stabilization though.

On a related note, I find The Verge tolerable, but this photo from one of their earliest reviews, about Google Glass, encapsulates everything wrong with them:

Joshua Topolsky probably thinks he looks SO cool in this photo, but it's actually incredibly lacking in self awareness. And that deafness permeates all their reviews, especially when it comes to featured snippets: "SCALED APPS ARE COMEDY GOLD, IF YOU THINK BIG THINGS ARE FUNNY".

That said, they're useful for early reviews, which I guess is worth something.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

serebralassazin posted:

He actually left the verge for Bloomberg not too long ago. Nilay Patel is the editor in chief now. The verge is an alright site to me. They get called Apple fanboys in the comments of their articles pretty frequently but they've been pretty positive towards nexus phones and android in the past. Anyways, for some serious reviewing have to wait for Anandtech's reviews.
Yeah, AnandTech and Ars Technica are my preferred sites. It's a shame they don't seem to be as popular as Engadget and now The Verge.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ijyt posted:

Uh, Apple has twice the cash reserves of the entire UK. You don't have to defend a multinational corporation. :rolleyes:
Not sure if we should be comparing to a country that's about to lose 1/3 of its land in a secession vote...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

dutchbstrd posted:

Also I am lazy.
In the future, unplug cables by pulling on the plug, not the cable.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Every new iOS release should be about making features easier to use and more intuitive, though, and then they go and do a stupid thing like this.
The ghost of Scott Forstall strikes again!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Glasgow Kiss posted:

Going to walk into a carrier store later today. We'll see what happens.

And drat that's shameful. You'd think they'd have a higher priority for their kid's wellbeing than a fuckin' phone.
Capitalism, brah. Ain't nothing more communist than a mooching baby. :patriot:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

fordan posted:

Did the 6 not come with a SIM extractor tool? Picked up my iPhone 6 Verizon phone from the Apple Store, still in shrink wrap, and I can't find the tool in the box anywhere.
They stopped shipping as of the 3GS, possible the 3G even.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The curved glass in my 6 almost makes text look fake like one a dummy display phone, at least with the Awful app. It's crazy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

nwin posted:

I asked her and she sure enough, the plastic was left on.

Thanks...
Let nobody think anything is too obvious. Nothing isn't worth simplifying, nothing is too sacred.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

withak posted:

Isn't there a big obvious tab hanging off the side of the phone if you don't peel the plastic? What do people think that is for?
Cover for the lightning port.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

hotsauce posted:

http://swappa.com/listing/IDP533/view

Lower than I thought. Check back in a few days. It will be lower than retail!
Agreed, I'd expect it to be higher.

Speaking of which, I'm having a hard time pricing my 2 week old replacement iPhone 5 16GB AT&T that's unlocked. Craigslist makes me think $300 would be fine, but $400 seems to be the going rate on Ebay. I guess when you back out 13% fees + insured shipping, it's only a $30 difference.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

prom candy posted:

How's the camera bump that everyone was freaking out about?
Nothing has been this overblown since Bill Clinton.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I didn't realize quite how much space would be used by slow mo videos and otherwise, and it looks like the 16GB isn't going to cut it. Assuming the Apple Store has 64GBs in Stock, will there be any problem with exchanging?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DarkestLite posted:

On another note, the feature I'm most excited for is the slow-mo video. I play softball 3-5 days a week and I'm incredibly excited to be able to film my teammates batting because a person swinging a bat looks great in slow-mo (And watching is a great way to fix your swing). I was going to get a GoPro for this silly project, but hopefully this will suffice and save me from buying yet another toy I don't need.
Yeah, for non-extreme sports, this obsoletes the GoPro. I look forward to using it for slow motion analysis of my golf swing, which even at the 120 fps of the 5S was suspect.

Also cat videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tT710VFpQA

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I didn't realize quite how much space would be used by slow mo videos and otherwise, and it looks like the 16GB isn't going to cut it. Assuming the Apple Store has 64GBs in Stock, will there be any problem with exchanging?
Refund/new purchase wasn't a problem, but I had to wait in line with the non pre-order plebs. :barf:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sith Happens posted:

Many wallpapers here have download options for some or all iPhone configurations:

http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/downloads/date/any/
If there's interest, we could start up a 6/6 Plus wallpaper thread again.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

There's a Google Now app and Gmail app on the store that are quite nice. Google contact and calendar sync is built into iOS, using CalDAV.

There is at least some "share intent" functionality now in iOS 8 that will be a big thing once apps get updated for iOS 8.
To add, I actually prefer Apple Maps to Google Maps after they unfucked it in iOS 7. I wonder how long Scott Forstall's unbelievable incompentence from iOS 6 will haunt Apple.

At least another product cycle.

Mister Fister posted:

Cool, so with iOS 8, I would be able to use Google Now as the default voice app instead of siri and have it do things like turn on timers, put events into my calendar, etc.?
Siri does those things. :confused:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DarkJC posted:

Apple's backup system is insanely good and why wouldn't you restore?

This constant "set it up as a new device" poo poo is getting to be as bad as advising people to close all their apps all the time.
When your "other" category grows to be multiple GBs, what else are you to do?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

flavor posted:

Since you hate the design anyway, just cut out some cardboard in the shape of the phone, make a hole for the camera, and superglue it to the back. No more protruding camera.

People are cheap. The 6 plus costs $100 more. It's also in shorter supply. Last but not least, people are also conformist, and the only "reasonable" choice that gets rammed down everybody's throat by some of the loudest people here is 6/64/Space Gray. "Oooohhh, my hands and pockets are too small" :qq: (it fits in my 501's front pocket even when sitting down, without any issues, but whatever.)

So :iiam:

To get real numbers, I'd wait at least until both are available in the same quantities. At least some people are going for the 6 because the 6 plus is hard to get.

Meanwhile, I'm immensely enjoying my 6+/128/Gold, with the Product Red case to boot.
I got a 6/64/Space Gray but not because the thread said so. In fact, I'm not sure that was the consensus recommendation of this thread, though 6/64 is the most logical of the options.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

What sort of "game-stopping" bugs are you talking about?

I used iOS8 throughout the entire beta and never experience any annoying bugs.
I didn't install the beta on my 5, and my 6 hasn't had any noticeable problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The only people who prefer a 4" phone over a 4.7" model are nerds in the Internet and a tiny albeit vocal minority at that.

I say that as someone whose hand can't reach all corners of the 6.