Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I like Apple Maps but Google Maps has some features I wish Apple would crib. Like on the fly rerouting to avoid traffic. That poo poo was clutch when driving back from Alabama and routed me around a giant accident.

Yeah it saved me from a 2.5 hour backup by having us get on an access road when I was driving through the desert from Las Vegas to San Fran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

lelandjs posted:

Has anyone seen a photo/video with the SE's keyboard? The only thing holding me back from swapping out my 6s for the SE is the fact that when I used a 5s for a week I couldn't type an "s" to save my life and I'm hoping that they slightly improved the keyboard.

It's going to be the exact same keyboard as the 5S because it's the same screen. Get a 3rd party keyboard like noted above. Fleksy os good too but has a steep learning curve of you're used to swype.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

bobfather posted:

My gut tells me that the iPhone 7 will have some significant design changes to it, as well.

You're a real Nostradamus

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Lady Gaza posted:

where's the best place to get rid of my old broken 5s? it's got a busted logic board or something so doesn't work at all, and I want to recycle it rather than having it sitting around. it's still got data on it (apps, photos, etc.) but I'm assuming it's inaccessible due to the phone being broken; there's no way I can see to wipe it myself before getting rid of it

Give it to Liam

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Endless Mike posted:

I was looking at the LTE bands,

Why?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'm thinking about getting the SE solely because the quick as hell TouchID introduces more problems than it solves for me. I just want to wake my screen up so I can pause music or skip a track, not unlock the poo poo. I wish I could create a safeguard where if there's music playing or headphones in the jack that I don't have to worry about the phone unlocking when I wake it up.

Touch the button on only a portion so your whole finger isn't covering the sensor works fine for me

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

bobfather posted:

Next they'll fix the touch ID sensor to be active at all times without tanking the battery, so something like touching the ring will wake the screen, and pushing the button (or force touching it) with a valid finger will unlock the phone.

Or they'll just add an option to set a small delay between when the button is pressed and when it activates the sensor.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
When I updated to 9.3 I started getting battery issues. When I open the camera and begin taking photos or video it drains the battery meter really fast, like it will show a loss of 30% in the space of two minutes. I took a video that was 4 minutes long and it went from 88% to 6%. When I plug the phone in the meter jumps to 40, then I unplugged and replugged and it jumped to 75, then again and it goes to 84. Same deal if I restart the phone it goes to where it should be.

Is this a known issue or should I take it in?

I have a launch day iPhone 6 btw.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Jealous Cow posted:

I wonder if there's anything to the rumors that Apple will skip a major iPhone release this year and drop the 7 next year.

I feel like the press would lose their minds if September came and went without a new iPhone.

This isn't going to happen.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

xzzy posted:

You are pissing on Steve Jobs' grave if you don't buy the correct phone. He told us the perfect screen size and he's the best designer in the history of the world which means none of us have any right to question it.

Josh Lyman posted:

Steve had tiny hands like Trump but so do I so iPhone SE form factor 4 lyfe!

Actually the 5 came out a year after he died. Steve only approved of the 3.5" form factor.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

It can be like that sword from lord of the rings and glow blue when a smaller iPhone is nearby

Lmao

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Jony release the iPhone 7 Industrial diamond cut treading on the back

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

xzzy posted:

Case wouldn't matter much, and distance doesn't matter much. It's glass. It shatters unpredictably because normal bumps and drops create fractures that can turn into full fledged shatters with seemingly minor taps.

Basically glass is shatter proof, until it isn't.

Anything that increases the length of impact aids in reducing shatters. Soft materials like leather increase the cushioning and make the moment of impact longer, reducing the force applied to the glass. Hard cases, not so much. Its the difference between falling rear end first onto a pillow and falling rear end first onto a wooden board.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Okay dad

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
My iPhone case is made from reclaimed Tesla seats because I like having rich guys' asses near my face

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Just hope Hairforce One clowns on his marketing department during the presentation again

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
I would prefer the 4.7" form factor because I love my 6 but if there rumors of the dual cameras and extra ram are true then my hands is forced. Having the extra battery life is good too, but it's mostly just because right now the 10 beta has poo poo battery life so I'm jaded

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
when my phone gets to 20% and the battery bar turns red i go into an existential panic. hell even going below 50% is cause for alarm for me so yeah extra battery would be cool.

dont care about the camera hump since i use a phone case with credit card slots on the back

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

LmaoTheKid posted:

Turn off the battery percentage, problem solved.

:ohdear:

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
i refuse to turn off the battery percentage because the icon is too small and the difference between 85% and 75% could determine how i spend the next 15 minutes of my time before i go out for the night.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Housh posted:

I need to replace my 5S. I hope this poo poo doesn't suck.

Don't worry my friend, the iPhone 7 will be mad ownage

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Matte Black 128gb 7+ for me :hellyeah:

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Bose MIE headphones are the only good earbud headphones in existence

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

teacup posted:

Kinda crossposting from the other thread -

So a few weeks ago people were saying "iPhone 7 has nothing, wait for 7s as that has real innovation coming round the corner based on some leaks!"

Is this true or just bullshit? I have a 6 and want to see if I should use my insurance to fix it (it's been dropped a bit) or just get a 7

I get it'll always be something but for some reason I remember people saying that the S will just be THAT MUCH BETTER THIS TIME but I hear that all the time and it's just like, oh an extra megapixel. I just want a phone that goes faster

Every new phone is going to be better than the old phone. If you want a new phone now then get the 7, and if a year from now the 7S is that much better just sell your 7 at 70% of the original price and buy the 7S.

Every curmudgeon here is going to say that the announcement was a bust, apple is dead, iPhone 7 is terrible, etc. But they're also the same people that are negative about everything so you should take any recommendations with a grain of salt.

Moral of the story: treat yo self.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

enojy posted:

Any idea if it'll be difficult to find a 6+ at a carrier store (AT&T) come late October, considering they're now discontinued? My mom's upgrade is due then, and she wants a 5.5" screen for the least amount of money.

Get her a 6S+, it'll be the same price as the current 6+ is right now

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Auron posted:

With Apple's iPhone upgrade plan, are you allowed to put money down to reduce the monthly payment, or do you have to do $0 down?

Why would you pay extra into a program designed to let you trade in the device halfway through the payment plan? You'd be getting half the value of your upfront payment.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Auron posted:

What? That just doesn't make any sense. Putting $200 down right away would be like paying $200 over a year...just with a lower payment. Its not like you're magically losing money when you trade in.

The iPhone upgrade plan is a two year repayment schedule. So if you pay 200$ on 900$ then the payments will be 700 stretched over 2 years.

If you pay nothing down on $900, it will cost 37.50 a month for 2 years

If you pay $200 down on $900, it will cost $29.17 a month for 2 years

After one year you can trade it in and begin your contract over again.

So after 1 year with no down, you have paid in $450

After 1 year with $200 down you have paid in $350 in installments + $200 down = $550 total

So yes, paying 200$ or whatever up front is literally throwing half of the down payment away.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
I decided to check out the delivery dates when upgrading through ATT this morning and they quoted the matte black 128gb 7+ as shipping between Sept 23-30 as compared to the order I made through Apple that said between October 4-10. I went ahead and cancelled my order through Apple and am excited it will arrive a week earlier.

If you have ATT it may be worth it to check that out instead. I think the Rose Gold 128's were still showing September 16 hard date so if you don't mind the pink phone and white face, that's a good choice.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Feenix posted:

Hey so I wasn't paying attention to "getting on ios10 early" because I was going to save my "FULL EXPERIENCE" for when I received my new iPhone next week. But now that my 7+ isn't coming for a few weeks, I kinda wanna tinker with iOS10 now. I read a bit about 10.0.1 throwing a kink in that.

Is there ANY way, without serious hurdles or costing me developer program money, I can get on the GM release today?

no, and I can tell you as someone with the GM that you're not missing anything. None of the cool features like the messaging changes and such are useful until it's released to the public at large

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

the poi posted:

So I've never waited in line on release day, because preordering, but since I want to get a Verizon phone and am in ATT, that might be my only choice. How bad were lines last year? Is it still a cluster gently caress? I really don't want to camp out for hours.

Depends where you're from. Last time I waited was for the 5S and I was behind a large family of Chinese people and when they came out to give out the reservation coupons (limit 2 per person), they brought out like 4 toddlers from their car and got 8 more coupons on top of their already 8 and bought the entire stock out. When I went to the next closest Apple store there was another large family of Chinese doing the exact same thing. So... Get there first I guess.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Weedle posted:

Thanks for letting us know they were Chinese, that's extremely relevant to the topic at hand

Sorry you're offended but it's definitely a thing. they show up to apple stores and buy out the stock on release day and then send it back to China where they resell it for like 400% the price.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Okay.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Endless Mike posted:

I'm well aware that it's a thing, but their ethnicity is not important at all unless you believe it would be a perfectly acceptable practice if a white family did the same thing.

I apologize to all Chinese people and everyone affected by my post that mentioned the phrase "Chinese family". I deeply regret it and hope that, in time, they can forgive the damage and hurt this post has caused.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

beergod posted:

What was the last iPhone innovation that was legitimately amazing and had everyone freaking out about? Siri (lol)? Retina display?

Some would say, though they may be Chinese (not that it matters), that the greatest innovation Apple ever had was convincing people that their phone was so good that you could make a ton of money buying them and exporting them back to the very country in which they were assembled. It was an innovation that brought many a family, of all types of ethnicity, together, in line at an Apple store.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
We will come full circle and Apple will have to deal with Watergate 2016

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
I'm close to switching from Spotify to apple music. I don't care about the politics, I just want all the music

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

the panacea posted:

Calling it now: the jet black will look like poo poo after 3 months.

It will look like poo poo after 3 hours from all the fingerprints. All the press photos from the actual event you could see the smudges already starting to show up. People buying the jet black are making a huge mistake.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Feenix posted:

My wife's was dead this morning too, but sometimes her plug gets loose so I can't say anything yet. Probably nothing.

I tried jiggling my plug in my wife's slot last week and wasn't able to transfer any juice. I think it's common for late model wives

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

The Lord Bude posted:

I think you'll find it's a problem with the plug.

I mean it's a little worn down from age but it works fine on newer devices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Snuffman posted:

If you're like me and mad about stars being removed from Music.app, there's an app called "Music Rating Widget" that adds a star rating widget to the widget screen.

It's not perfect but it restores star rating functionality to iOS. :)

Why do you download music you don't like?