Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Don Tacorleone posted:

After some thought and serious meditation on a mountain away from men, I've concluded that (coming from a 5S) I'm a bit underwhelmed with the new offerings. Basically bigger numbers. Even the design is not driving me crazy, while the tall phone seemed beautiful from the start. I will miss the shiny edges too. The bigger screen is not a selling point for me, the 5S seems the perfect size already for my hands, there is still a 10% of the top right screen where I can't reach comfortably but it still works.

I just don't want these new phones.

Seems to me they might have overstretched their team with the whole Apple Watch rush. I don't want an Apple Watch either, but apparently they're gonna sell like hotcakes.

If I had a 4S still I'd be all over the 6, I suppose. Anyone else on a 5 or 5S that is not "feeling it" this year?

If my 5 didn't have absolutely no battery and frequently run of space to take a picture (I have a 16 gig) I probably wouldn't upgrade, but I mean, unless Apple does something very different next years phones are going to just be the same but with more numbers so it would be like 2 more years before I updated and thats just too long to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
There's usually a one time fee for upgrading.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

redcheval posted:

e: poo poo sorry, this should go in the preorder thread.

vvv moving to the preorder thread, but it was definitely a new monthly charge. Bizarre.

In sure there is some kinda mistake. There is no way they are use randomly charging a new fee every month people would be talking about it. The upgrade fee is usually just put on the bill

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
So I picked up my new iPhone 6 yesterday, did an iCloud back up, come home from the Apple store and plugged it into my PC and theres already 1.6 gigs of loving OTHER on it. What the drat hell. I mean, I know this is a thing thats been happening for awhile now but its a brand new phone. That can't be right can it?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I must have small hands. I couldn't even swipe across the 6+ and the 6 seems too big.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
So double tap home for reachabilty. Why does the tap have no other functionality? Seems dumb.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

dutchbstrd posted:

So I took one of the cables to the Apple store here in SF and they replaced it no questions asked in about 10 minutes.

Overall, great experience.

Yeah I asked them about that the other day when I was getting my phone and they said they probably would. I just figured I'd do it after the lines died down.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
So when I got my iPhone 6 on launch day I did a clean install instead of from a back up because I figured it had been awhile. I already have 2.5 gigs of 'other' what the loving gently caress. I'm getting really sick of losing 3 gigs of space on my barely 12 gig iphone. Whats the deal? Phoneclean doesn't work any more and they want like 20 bucks for that poo poo so thats not happening either.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

ShoogaSlim posted:

Do people normally just leave Bluetooth on all the time? Unless I'm in someone's car who has Bluetooth connectivity I have no need for it and leave it off.

Uh you need Bluetooth for airdrop so of course I leave it on all the time!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

fleshweasel posted:

How are you guys liking the apple leather case for iphone 6?

I really like it. I always liked my wife's one on her 5S and the 6 one is even better imo

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Okay, but has there been any indication that they're done with 4" screens? Does the fact that they didn't make a new version with one mean its over?

It would be nice to have 3 sizes: mini, regular, and plus.

I imagine it will depend on what kind of demand there is for a 4 inch screen going forward. If the 5s sells well and consumers indicate there is a market for a 4 inch screen I'm sure Apple will want to keep it up.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Kersch posted:

What kind of users are the 16gb models for? I keep looking at them and I feel like by the time you count the OS footprint, basic apps, and saved songs and podcasts, if you then decided to take a 5 minute video or lose track of how many photos you've taken that you'd really quickly be boned. But then I look at the 64gb model and think "This is literally 100 dollars more and I'll never need this much".

I've never had more than a 16gb phone and it's fine. I stream most of my video stuff and have like 3 or 4 gigs of movies. Sometimes it gets full if the phone does weird stuff with other or I take a lot of videos but it's never been an issue. That said it's getting more and more annoying as the OS keeps taking up more space and apps get bigger.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Seriously. Some people just aren't digital hoarders or play games much on their phones. I use my phone for browsing, communicating with people, taking a few pictures and listening to a little music at the gym. 16 is fine for me. Insulting people because they bought smaller capacity phones than you did seems pretty douchey.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Zwille posted:

How do they know you bought that thing, though? If they check you you can show your receipt but they usually don't check. It feels so weird.

Yeah I talked to one of the employees about this once while I was waiting for something and they were like 'eh most people don't steal' and I was kinda surprised they didn't have a system or something. Of course he might have been less than forthcoming with me about APPLE SECRETS

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I have been using iTunes to sync my phone since the first iPhone on windows and other than ridiculous "other" sizes I've never once had a problem. Obviously tons of people have and I just figure I'm really lucky I guess.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Avocados posted:

For those with the leather cases, how do they handle drops? I'm still on Otterboxes as I'm absolutely horrified of screen breakage, but I'd like to enjoy sleekness again.

It's barely there. It doesn't protect.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Also for those with leather cases - how slim are they?

Very.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I mean if I had to guess I'd guess that 16 gb is the most popular size though since it's the cheapest...

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
He thought he could cure cancer by eating fruit. He didn't know everything is an understatement.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

noirstronaut posted:

It's weird how after 7 years you never set up a keyboard shortcut to avoid this

I shouldn't have to

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I always love it when people are like "I don't see how this would be useful!" I mean, I don't see how it would be useful either, but I'm not designing software, I'm sitting on my rear end typing on an internet message board. If I saw how it would be useful I'd be the one making it useful. Hopefully all the people making apps and working for Apple have more imagination than I do because if they don't poo poo is gunna get boring real fast.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Ryand-Smith posted:

Are you like a child, because I can use my iPhone 6 plus one handed, it's why I got the phone, the 4 was just absurdly tiny for adult use.

I have to wear size small gloves :(

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

tesilential posted:

Go to Verizon's website and read about your plan. AT&T finally allows tethering for free. Been using the iPhone 6 stock since December. I couldn't last a week on the 4 without jail breaking.

Even if you have "unlimited" data?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
God drat glad they're putting home sharing back in. I used the remote app to control iTunes on my computer all the time

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Honestly I wish there was an option to make the lock screen and control center controls work for the Remote app if your iTunes is currently playing. I use it that often.

That would be rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Nobody knows but it seems unlikely