Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: iOS 9.3.3 is out! :siren:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206902

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1842?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Security and bug fixes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Anyone have a preferred belt clip for a 7 (non-plus)? I know any is going to have to be a combo of a case and clip, but my old pick, the Otterbox for my old Samstung doesn't fit.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

tuyop posted:

Yeah, it's real bad. It's kind of exactly like windows laptops around 2010, tons of lovely bloatware that you can't really get rid of, terrible battery life, inexplicably bad performance for the hardware, constant threats of malware and viruses, and a bizarre lack of quality apps for basic phone poo poo compared to iOS (like, play an audiobook lol why'd you want to do that?).

The security situation on Android, as recently as 6.0.1, is also so completely laughable IMHO that I wound up not trusting *ANY* credit info I put on my old S4 and S5. Never got any softs anywhere else but the Google Play store and *still* wound up with my cards being charged for first class tickets from Luxembourg to Tokyo. When I created a disposable CC as some cards will allow you, and only used it on the Android, they inevitably got hacked within 6 months.

Switched to an iPhone 6S (was stolen) and 7 recently, have several cards in Apple Pay/Wallet, not one bad charge ever since, even on a card on the stolen 6S. Of course someone will likely break into some 3rd party vendor database somewhere and make me look stupid again, but knock wood.

quote:

Backing up and restoring is also a total nightmare.

Kinda ridiculous that there's no encrypted system level total image, simple loving one-click backup like you get in iTunes, all I could ever find were shady fly-by-night backup utilities that all look the same from software companies I'd never heard of, or Google's built-in backup that I never could figure out totally. Apple was genius enough to create an Android app called "Move to iOS" that did a better job of moving all my data to an iPhone than any Android native backup app I could find.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Well, here's the list of notes for 10.2 from Apple:

Apple posted:

TV

Use Up Next to see the movies and shows you're currently watching and pick up where you left off
Get recommendations for new movies and TV shows in Watch Now
Discover new apps and the latest iTunes releases in the Store
Access the Library for your iTunes purchases and rentals

Emoji

Beautifully redesigned emoji that reveal even more detail
Over 100 new emoji including new faces, food, animals, sports and professions

Photos

Improves stabilization and delivers faster frame rate for Live Photos
Improves accuracy of groupings of similar photos of the same person in the People album
Fixes an issue where Memories might generate a memory from photos of screenshots, whiteboards or receipts
Fixes an issue where the camera would stay zoomed after switching back from the Camera Roll on an iPhone 7 Plus
Additional support for RAW digital cameras

Adds new love and celebration full screen effects in Messages
Fixes an issue that sometimes prevented the keyboard from displaying in Messages

Music
Swipe up the Now Playing screen to more easily access Shuffle, Repeat, and Up Next
Choose how to sort Playlists, Albums and Songs in Library

News

Stories you've saved for later now appear in the Saved section
The best paid stories from channels you subscribe to will appear in a dedicated section in For You
It's now easier than ever to get to the next story, just swipe left or tap next story while reading

Mail

Fixes an issue that caused the Move sheet to persist after filing a Mail message
Addresses an issue with long press activating copy and paste in Mail
Fixes an issue in which the wrong message would be selected after deleting a Mail conversation

Accessibility

Adds BraillePen14 support to VoiceOver
Fixes an issue where the braille table could switch unexpectedly with VoiceOver
Fixes an issue where sometimes Siri enhanced voices were unavailable to VoiceOver
Fixes an issue where VoiceOver users could not re-order items in lists
Fixes an issue where Switch Control was sometimes unable to delete Voicemails

Other improvements and fixes

Adds notification support for HomeKit accessories including window coverings, occupancy, motion, door/window, smoke, carbon monoxide, and water leak sensors
Adds notification support for HomeKit accessories when software updates are available to HomeKit accessories
Improve Bluetooth performance and connectivity with 3rd party accessories
Fixes an issue that could cause FaceTime participants to appear out of focus
Fixes an issue that could cause FaceTime calls to appear with incorrect aspect ratio and orientation
Fixes an issue that prevented some Visual Voicemail from completing playback
Fixes a Safari Reader issue that could cause articles to open in empty pages
Fixes an issue that could cause Safari to quit unexpectedly after marking an item as read in Reading List

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Software updates for Apps feels snappier.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I dunno, battery life seems about the same on my 7, though I do more email / text than voice normally.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Dunno wassup wit you guys, we've been calling it the Fruit Stand / Stebe Store / Hall of Fruitstice forever in SHSC.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Kerbtree posted:

So, I've just pushed the button on a 7 - anything I should do to make switching over from Android simpler?

Also there's an app called 'Move to iOS' in the Google Play store that will move over your contacts, calendar, camera pics, and other stuff, it even ties in with Apple's App Store and downloads preselected apps that are the iOS equivalents, or in some cases the same app on iOS.

You can transfer with WiFi or via a PC but I found the easier of the two was WiFi.

I went from a S5 to a iPhone 7 with this app and I was pleasantly surprised by how smooth the transition was, even the notes I wrote carried over.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

No one's bothered upgrading to 10.2.1?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

I dropped my leather-clad iPhone SE 20 feet onto some gym bleachers and it survived without a scratch. Well, without any new scratches.

Maybe it's because of how small it is. Like how ants can survive falls from great heights because they never reach a fatal terminal velocity.

iPhone SE superiority.

Also iPhone 5S superiority

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Just updated to 10.3 on a 7.

Shut down/restarts are much faster.

iCloud settings moved down into another sunken menu.

New graphical chart of what's being stored in iCloud is neat.

Awful crashed once but now is humming along.

Overall, seems.. snappier.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

xzzy posted:

GPU's aren't THAT big of a mystery.

Intel hasn't been able to vastly improve their integrated GPUs for a while now, although they do make some progress from gen to gen..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

MovetoiOS worked for me but I had to create a nonencrypted network on my Airport to get it to work, which I thought was ridiculous.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

My 5S running 10.3.1 displays the battery bar even with a pair of cheapie (but good) TaoTronics.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trying to convince a relative who just bought an iPhone 7 that using Wi-Fi calling will help her save money.

She has a well-meaning but I-dunno-if-she's-a-real-techie friend who says Wi-Fi is charged against her data even though she just moved up to unlimited calling, and even though it says in Verizon's own FAQ that domestic calls over Wi-Fi are FREE.

I tell her she should use WiFi calling at least at home because she has bad reception in her area. Her friend thinks it's a bad idea and will result in her being overcharged for data as she was a few months back.

Who the gently caress is right? Is she a moron for not at least wanting to take advantage of better reception, and is her friend right? Or am I a moron for trying to get her into the 21st century by taking advantage of her WiFi router?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Wiggly posted:

Just to play devils advocate, could the friend be talking about getting charged for data on her home internet plan? Not that wifi calling uses that much data but data caps are alive and well in the land of the free.

Nope, she's talking solely about the phone bill, although she does have Verizon FIOS for computer internet in addition to her phone. The friend swears anything she does that's not more than regular cellular calling will drive up her bill.

The reason she is so paranoid is that she used to be on some old poo poo plan from Verizon where she only paid for 4 GB of data monthly and one month it somehow shot up to 6 GB of usage and she had to pay big bucks for the overage. My guess is she lent it to a niece or nephew who probably downloaded a crapload of apps and then erased them quick as a bunny so as to not get caught. She upgraded to a supposedly 'unlimited' calling plan but doesn't know what her data rate is, it might be the $85 'everything unlimited' plan..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 13, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/07/26/new-cochlear-hearing-implant-tech-will-stream-directly-from-iphones-other-apple-devices

Oh goody I am old so I can throw all my garbage Bluetooth headsets into the garbage once this is out on the market

Guess I have to ram my head against the wall three times to reset it if I get a new iPhone. :v: :bang:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I still think we should find whomever coined the term 'Fruit Stand' and.. award them a Darwin prize or something? Or give them a very bad gang tag saying "I COINED THE PHRASE FRUIT STAND"

Anyways, since the iPod megathread is closed:

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-kills-off-ipod-nano-ipod-shuffle-2017-7

Yep, Apple finally gone done and killed its lowest end music players. Only player Apple sells now is the 32 / 128 GB iPod Touch 6th Generations for $199 and $299 respectively.

iPod Touch is still the iPhone 6 without the phone part, A8 based, Wi-Fi only and no NFC hardware. Sigh.

(got to believe they might have a new model waiting? It's only been, what, two whole years since the last refresh..)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Welp, get your credit cards ready..

https://9to5mac.com/2017/08/23/iphone-8-september-12-event-rumor/

And on September 12th every single iPhone 7 owner realizes they're no longer on the bleeding edge :shepicide:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

APPUHL RIPZ US OFF AGAIN

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/14/16307588/iphone-8-plus-battery-size-compared-iphone-7

Evidently Apple's confident iOS 11 and the new iPhone 8 hardware will sip less energy, because the iPhone 8 battery has 7% less capacity than the 7's.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

^^ Feels right to me, it's like they sped up TouchID.

I love the Bounce effect for Live Photos, makes loopy loops so easy.

I got 2 more GB of free space according to Settings > General > About.

Killing background apps seems a LOT faster.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 19, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Anyone tried iOS 11 on a 5s yet?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I like Camera+ because you can do manual exposure and you can have it save as a RAW file for editing on a desktop later.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Tried taking some pics in the new HEIC format, wow, quite a bit of space savings for relatively detailed pics. They won't load in Preview on El Capitan or Sierra, duh.

Tried taking some movies in 4K, also pretty good, but the movies are encoded in H.265 which won't play in QuickTime Player.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Theophany posted:

Lmao. I’m literally running a lovely old Mac that is better spec’d than anything they sell atm and I’m in the same boat. Twin 3.46GHz Xeons and a 980Ti and somehow it’s incapable of hardware decoding H265.

Smells like a hot-rodded Mac Pro. BTW forgot to mention I could play the h.265 MOV's in Movist, VLC, and Eltima Player, but at staggeringly slow speeds on non-High Sierra Macs.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

My life isn't quite a melodramatic movie, so why should my phone be?

I'm really noticing the fade-ins and fade-outs are a little much in iOS 11, can't we go back to abrupt screen changes or do we have to tax that A10/A11 chip to the fullest now that it beats Snapdragons handily? Or toggle fades?

Also, I agree with others, those extra point bold headers have to go. Yeah, if I scroll they go away but that just makes it feel to me like a hacky old MacOS 8.5 app written in HyperCard.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 20, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Reduced the amount of fades by going to Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion and toggled it to OFF instead of ON, now I don't see as many fades.

You'd think that slows things down, but to me it doesn't?!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

How easy is a battery replacement on a 5s? My GF's one has gone to poo poo. I haven't ever done work on something with TouchID, would that be an issue?

As has been said earlier, replacing the battery has nothing to do with disconnecting anything that would matter to TouchID.

I replaced it myself on mine, but I had to buy one of those suction cup tools to pry the case open, after that it's just a matter of disconnecting really teeny tiny cables and some screws in a particular order. Also, the battery is loving glued in so you have to use a hair dryer/heat gun in order to dislodge the battery.

If all that sounds like too much for you just go to any major mall and look for one of those mini-stalls that offers phone repair services.

Or go to the Fruit Stand and git'er done.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

In case anyone's interested, iFixit posted their teardown of the 8: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+8+Teardown/97481

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Gave up on iCloud Photo ops for awhile now, Google Photos is the poo poo. It's like having seamless sync with a virtual phone wherever I have WiFi.

Also handy as I can get to my photos in a browser whenever I want to as well, yeah yeah Google is probably running my pics through five zillion heuristic algorithms to toss ads at me, don't care

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:siren: iOS 11.0.2 dropped. :siren:

Apple posted:

- Fixes an issue where crackling sounds may occur during calls for a small number of iPhone 8 and 8 Plus devices

- Addresses an issue that could cause some photos to become hidden

- Fixes an issue where attachments in S/MIME encrypted emails would not open

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

You can also get top quality/faster charging from good third party chargers too- the Anker PowerPort 4 I paid $20 for at a MicroCenter charges my 7 just as fast as Apple's 10W, costs just as much, and lets me charge three other USB devices at the same time.

Also comes in black so your cheetos stained hands don't stain it like a white one would.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I see a helluva a lot of chatting going on here but not a lot of links to said items 🤔

Okay here's a link to what I was beating my chest over:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/485368/Anker_Powerport_4

Aaaaand an Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-4-Port-Charger-PowerPort-iPhone/dp/B00VH8ENXE/

Neat charger with folding plug like Apple's, charges most iDevices, perfect for travel and lets you charge 3 other USB-connected devices simultaneously

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If only Apple would give the iPhone SE a chip bump up to an A10x or A11x, if they did I'd get one just to replace my recently deceased 5s that I'd been using as an iPod Touch (muzak playing only.)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Schiavona posted:

I went to an Apple Store and looked at the 8 and the 8+. Apple prices the 8 to be a no-brainer if you're open to a 7 as well ($50 more for the 64gb 8 over the 128gb 7), but I'm wondering what peoples experiences has been with used iPhones. Worth the risk? Is there a better place to buy other than craigslist/eBay? Ideally, I'd get a used 128gb 7 and see what the X looks like in a year.

Apple's own refurbs occasionally save you some money, but you can trust that you're basically getting a brand new phone for a used price as Apple's quality control for refurbs of anything they sell (laptops especially) is excellent. Anybody else, you are very likely throwing dice.

From Apple's refurb page:

quote:

Apple Certified Refurbished

We test and certify all Apple refurbished products and include a 1-year warranty.
All refurbished iPhone models also include a brand new battery, new outer shell and a new white box.

They sell you the item in a plain white box, probably to steer clear of consumer laws about original packaging..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 10, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Someone did a comparison chart of iPhone 8+ charging times by charger:

https://twitter.com/dwlz/status/917443870509715456

No big surprises, the 10W iPad adapter is probably the best bang for the buck, the 5W standard adapter packaged with the phone is the slowest.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Kinda pissy that we gotta wait until 11.2 for Apple to fix the $%$#% calculator.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Is the Zagg Invisible Shield still the thread choice for screen protector?

Guess I'm a sucker for paying $40 for it at a Verizon store (it's half that on Amazon) but I sure like its warranty, plus the sales staff at the store applied it on for me for free.

It's also a zillion times better than the protector that came with my Otterbox Defender, it was only a year old but was getting cloudy and scratchy. I tore the lovely one out of the Defender and slipped my 7 in with the applied Zagg shield and it fit great.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 27, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

You know the iPhone X has finally made it when the Lotto app gets updated for X resolution:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lotto-results-mega-millions-powerball-lottery/id386505750?mt=8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Wi-Fi calling seems to have been nerfed for me in 11.2. Tried all the fixes, am on Sprint.