Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Michigan beat The Other Miami, 34-10.

Defense seemed to be pretty sound.

Offense gave up 3 turnovers in five minutes, gifting Miami their points.

Michigan's offense remains better than last year, but still pretty bad.

Defense looks strong against the run, but can't play man to man against anything other than kindergartners.

Fire Brady Hoke.

That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

We all blame you personally, man.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Why couldn't we play Purdue or Michigan or Minnesota or Indiana or

Hey, were you one of these two guys at the SMiss game?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pakled posted:

What, exactly, is the reasoning for that rule, anyway? Is it because nobody wanted to play Hawaii on the road otherwise?

Precisely. Teams were allowed an extra home game to cover the cost of flying to Hawaii and back.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Basil Hayden posted:

Incidentally, the NCAA bylaw that allows this would also apply to any hypothetical Alaskan college football team, though as far as I'm aware there hasn't been one of those since 1952 (and the one that did exist played all of its known games against a local Air Force base).

Puerto Rico, too, if anybody down there starts playing Division I football.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Groucho Marxist posted:

I don't think it was grounding since it hit a defender, but in your example the QB was in the middle of being hit and grounding never gets called from that.

The ref would have to judge that the ball would have crossed the neutral zone with an eligible receiver in the area had it not been touched to avoid a grounding call. A QB can't just drill the ball at an onrushing defender as a get-out-of-grounding-free card.

I didn't see the Georgia/USC play, so I can't really comment on that, but simply touching a defender doesn't negate grounding automatically.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BunLengthHotDog posted:

Arent the rules for screens a bit different considering linemen will be starting to heard downfield on the play? QB's are normally taught to plant the ball at the RB's feet (the defender was in the way in this case) on blown up screen plays.

There's nothing special in the rules about screen passes that I'm aware of. Linemen are still not allowed downfield before the pass is thrown.

Since a screen pass is generally going to be intended to stay behind the LoS, having a receiver in the area is going to be the crucial bit.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Urban Outfitters decided this was an appropriate way to celebrate Ohio State's 66-0 win over Kent State:

They were surprised that people objected to it, and it was quickly removed from the site.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BunLengthHotDog posted:

Actually that might work, going from Richt to him would be amazing(ly horrible), but at least that subset of fans would have to shut the gently caress up at that point.

Having been through a similar situation, I'm pretty confident that they actually wouldn't. :smith:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Brannigans Law posted:

I love Hackenberg in all his lovely decisions/flashes of awesome, but why do announcers keep calling him amazing (assuming they did last weekend as well, I had the sound down)? Do they look at stats at all?

I find it amazing that he's competent at all. He is a flat-footed, uncoordinated goof most of the time who can somehow complete passes and occasionally scramble in the strangest circumstances.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

kayakyakr posted:

This been posted/gif'ed yet?: https://vine.co/v/OaVnUztllaW

note: was not around for the thread saturday.

First trip through all I noticed was that it was 4th and 5 and was laughing at Miami for intercepting the pass when all they had to do was knock it down and they'd get more yards. Then I saw the ArkSt receiver on the second trip through. :stare:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Komet posted:

Also, Kyle Flood had taken a page out of the Rivals forum notebook by referring to Penn State only as The Team From Pennsylvania.

They're developing a rather amusing Little Brother complex toward the rest of the conference. It's quite endearing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's not little brother. It's pretty much ethnic hatred. We all hate Penn State and Midwesterners in general, but don't really give a poo poo about any other teams.

But nobody gives a poo poo in return. You just come off as a yappy little terrier.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

There's something decidedly wrong with you. It's a great place to watch a game.

He's a Notre Dame fan living in Ohio. So, yeah.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Jesus:

Iowa's a place where you can time travel in cornfields. Guess that's how Kirk Ferentz cashes checks he earned in 2002 with those 2014 results.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Thank you, ESPN. This kind of introspective look at college football is why you are the valued leader in sports today:

How are they doing in games where at least one ticket-taker is a left-handed Vietnamese midget? This is important.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

computer parts posted:

Texas and Michigan just agreed to a home and home series, I think 2024 and 2027.

Perhaps by then it will be a game worth watching.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Truth. Not sure I understand why the suspension was warranted. I think a "We'll handle this within the team and Jameis understands that his behavior wasn't inappropriate or acceptable as a representative of this team and University, blah blah blah" would have been perfectly acceptable.

A half-game suspension says the same thing much more clearly. Also makes it clear that he will get more than a stern talking-to in the future.

Given that this isn't the first incident of Jameis being somewhat out of control, it's time he got his chain yanked.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Frackie Robinson posted:

I hope Texas fans thank David Ash for the memories (because he's not getting them back).

He can honestly say he left it all on the field.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

GDT: From Ash to ashes.

GDT: Noah Spence is ecstatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pakled posted:

As far as I can tell from all the tweets about it, he stood up in a public place on campus and yelled it.

It seems really weird to me that they'd increase his punishment. I wonder if he was an rear end to the administration during the "investigation" or something.

It would seem to imply that there was more to it than simply standing up and shouting something bad. That something more could very well be his attitude during the investigation, or perhaps the shouting was what brought attention to a bunch of other unseemly things he was up to.

• Locked thread