Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

CJacobs posted:

You probably should watch the trailer where they make fun of all that then
That trailer started wearing a little thin after the second or third 'Ghostdad' reference.

I'm wondering if when people say they hated memes in BL2, they actually mean how sophomoric things became when compared to 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

I see Wilhem has the 'Your summoned bot occasionally recharges you and your teammates shields' ability. I kinda wonder if we'll get the same runaround Gaige had for the longest time.

Also, can I just say I'm disappointed you didn't use 'Fragtraps Moonbase Mambo' for the thread title?

Because I am. :colbert:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Fibby Boy posted:

Or if you you're like me and hated Mordecai and his bird. Then you were all too happy to see it get blown up.
My most cherished emergent playthrough bug feature will always be Deathtrap glitching out and continually zapping Bloodwing's head during that cinematic. I like to think that the collar was a dud, but Deathtrap wouldn't rest until that bird's noggin popped like a puppy in a microwave.

Gaige then awkwardly tries to play along as Mordecai starts throwing down death threats and laying mushroom clouds onto loaders.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

watho posted:

BL2 also retconned the fact that the bandits were a convict workforce, mutated from the radiation in the mines that got left behind on Pandora when Dahl packed up when the wildlife woke up from hibernation.

Wait, what? When did they do this?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

CJacobs posted:

By the way, I hope the "ha ha australian people talk funny!" jokes start to thin out as the game goes on because that's been pretty much a good third of the material so far and it's getting kinda grating.

I'm sure things will get better once Tiny Tina is thrown into the mix. :suicide:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Genocyber posted:

I checked on IMDB, and I realize why I recognize Wilhelm's voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNoITwTJiEM
Kind of surprised you thought of anime, his 'Critical Hit!' dialogue sounds exactly like Krieg (or foreshadows that he's the conscience, or 'Saint' speaking internally in Krieg)

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Having played as Wilhelm and gotten as far as smearing the Boson across the deck of the Drackenburg, I'm enjoying the game quite a bit. I haven't had any problems with oxygen yet, either. Every enemy drops a tank or two on death, they're in half of the garbage piles in vacuums, and oxygen hotspots are marked pretty plainly on the minimap. I was rather pissed off when the Boson's blue chest took 40 goddamned eridium moonstones off of me to make a Luneshine weapon. I don't know why there isn't an option to give less for a lesser reward, like the Die Chests in Dragon Keep.

One positive I've noticed is that the Vending Machines have just been bananas with amazing Items of the day. Me and Smashpro came across a legendary Hyperion ice smg that neither of us could afford, and it feels like an even shot of getting a blue/purple in each one.

Really, the thing that has annoyed me the most so far is the loading screen blip telling me "...and don't forget to like us on Facebook®!" That has to be the tackiest poo poo imaginable to me.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

I was backtracking to the vending machines in the center of the the Hyperion Heroism Hub and I ran into a named Dahl Marine named Corporal Bob. I killed him and he dropped a legendary OZ kit called the 'Ack Ack;' it grants stacks that give damage/fire rate bonuses upon killing flying enemies. It also has a chance to generate 'Flak' around enemies.

If only I had a Flakker. :stare:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

watho posted:

So the Acks give stacks and flakks?

Yacks.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Bussamove posted:

Needs a way to go to Pandora, so you can get stacks and flakks while shooting rakks.
And a bonus for multiple Ack Ack users, so you get bonuses for stacks and flaks while shooting rakks when you do it in packs! :suicide:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

I think they may have fixed how guns scale, but they forgot to include melee in the overhaul. I went back through Deadlift's place last night to get a mission for a new skin, and I was pleasantly surprised by how just about everyone in there wasn't popping into red puffs of smoke despite having weapons ten levels higher than them. But then I melee'd a Scav who backed into me, and I nearly knocked off 2/3 of this health in one swipe - this was with no melee boosts from skills or gear.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

SunAndSpring posted:

Anyway, I'm wondering how Jack's Double will play. In Borderlands 2, they saved the more complicated characters for DLC, so I'm wondering if he'll have some interesting mechanics like Gaige or Krieg.

I'm wondering if he and Miss Skunk-stripe each count as one DLC for the projected season pass 4 pack.

e: Also, regarding trying to figure out where she fits in: Aurilia has that same silver streak as Marcus.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 18, 2014

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

The season pass includes ALL DLC this time, according to Gearbox so it shouldn't matter.

I feel I should elaborate: What I'm worried about is that Gearbox will only release 4 DLC packages for the Pre-Sequel; two of which are characters.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

I just started up TVHM with Smashpro and decided to duck out to Normal mode to grind some greens I had picked up - and it didn't work! Did they flag guns for what mode you were in when you got them to prevent people from doing that, because that is surprisingly prescient on Gearbox's part.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Skandranon posted:

I still think he could have opened up a little more, like about the part where they tried to stab Jack in the back for no (good) reason.

You're saying that showing homicidal tendencies, creating a giant death laser (which has the capability to blow up a planet) out of the eye of an eldritch abomination, and implying that he manipulated you to acquire that eye isn't a good reason to off someone? Go on... :allears:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

FirstPersonShitter posted:

One of the scientists was a traitor, it wasn't for no reason. Everyone jack killed or tried to kill had already betrayed him.

Actually, none of them did. The moles were Lilith, Moxxie, and Roland.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Since people here are spergin' out over canon minutiae, I guess it bears mentioning that Gearbox released an official timeline that, in classic Gearbox fashion, is vague and poorly formatted.

Of note is this entry:

quote:

Claptrap helps the vault hunters avoid death at the hands of Jack, while Wilhelm realizes he may have gone too far in turning himself into a cyborg.
- which is plotted as having happened around the time Roland was killed.

Which kinda furthers my suspicions that Krieg is either Wilhelm, or at least has his conscience.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

The sheer volume of guns c/p'd from BL2 is finally starting to sink in, and drat is it being a wet blanket on playthrough 2. :(

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

A question about that wonderfully re-farmable Hyperion Contingency Armory that you get after fighting Zarpedon.

If you leave the Eye of Helios, say to grind some guns, is the room still farmable?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

CJacobs posted:

No, the area is accessed through that place with the shield which is blown up and covered by rubble after the fight because of a plot thing, so you can't go back to the area at all after you leave.
No, I was referring to before I blow up the thing but after I fight the boss.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

watho posted:

Apparently the final boss can drop a special legendary class mod, doesn't have to be the raidboss version. It's pretty good but not nearly as amazing as the celestial lawbringer -or crapshooter class mods.

Screenshot of it here.

It also drops from that named Stalker boss in R&D, which is more likely an oversight than anything else. It's also easier to get to once you open the back door, provided you don't mind seeing everyone's best friend Rabid Stalker.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

smashpro1 posted:

$10. The website says the current DLC plans are Jack, another character, level cap increase, and one new campaign.
Man, I saw this coming two weeks ago.

Father Wendigo posted:

I feel I should elaborate: What I'm worried about is that Gearbox will only release 4 DLC packages for the Pre-Sequel; two of which are characters.

To everyone saying that UVHM could be good if they don't half-rear end it, I ask you to think about how much of the core game is rushed, half-assed, and/or bugged.

Speaking of bugged, I just completed TVHM today with Smashpro. We would have completed it last night, but we ran into the bug where the flying Eridians in the final boss weren't flagged to provide second winds or experience, which got to me hard enough to kill what enthusiasm I had left. And then this afternoon when I finished the credit scroll, the post-game TVHM didn't kick in and I got an under-leveled Rosie.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

smashpro1 posted:

And I've been waiting for you to hop back on so we can go back to farming Deadlift.
Mea Culpa, smash. I had some family things that needed doing, but I'll be back on around 6:30 CST tonight.

Genocyber posted:

You can only get a lv48 Rosie.
Ah. Well, at least that's some cold comfort.

smashpro1 posted:

Or it might have been something like the Badass Crater Vault.
I think the whole BACoB Vault wasn't an actual Vault, but an fake manufactured by the Torgue corporation to build heat for their expensive new advertising special - the Campaign of Carnage.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

smashpro1 posted:

How about 7:00?

That works, see you on Live.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

Is it wrong to want to edit the Boganella to stay viable as I finish the game? I can't stop laughing at it.

Of course not, it's one of the highlights of the game.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

ProfessionalNinja posted:

The whole "BASKETBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!" for like 30 seconds killed me.

Some of the side-quests in this game are hilarious.

Seriously. The 'To Arms!' quest is probably the best thing to ever come out of the series.

There's so many little bits of brilliance scattered throughout the game, but the corner-cutting just throws a wet blanket over the whole thing.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

smashpro1 posted:

Of course this happens. If you didn't farm the gun Undeadlift dropped, you can just get it from Shift.

PC / Linux / Mac: KW5BB-BZXWB-3TT33-JJT33-C966T
Xbox 360: K553J-WWRH6-5CFJF-5XB3B-RF6ZZ
PlayStation 3: K553J-WWRC5-9FBKB-9TC3B-RF6HX
Man, thank Gorp we farmed that unDeadlift rear end in a top hat seven times last night, right?

Also, did you know that you can get Moxxi's toy chest to respawn when you enter through Moxxi's Back Door (tee hee), and again whenever you start up a game that has you spawning at the back door entrance? Did you also know that you can grind her Laser to make purple lasers or sell it for a nice chunk of change?

Because I think grinding her Vibro-Pulses has replaced the slot machine as my new ingame passtime.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I'm still on the fence about the season pass, it'd cost more than the game did and I never played half the stuff that came with BL2 because it just never felt right for some reason. I played the main game, Torgue and used Gaige for 20 levels or so and gave up on it. Which is a shame as I probably sank more into Knoxx alone than all of BL2. I don't want to get stung again.

Yeah, it's looking like this Season's Pass is going to consist of 2 characters, 1 campaign, and 1 'Level Cap+' pack that I'm going to guess is like Digistruct Peak since they're charging $10 for it. Might as well hold off until it gets discounted.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Lester Shy posted:

How's this game holding up now, a month after release? I usually buy 1-2 recent AAA games at full price each year, and I've been eyeballing this one, but I'm always wary of sequels developed by "off-brand" studios. I put 100+ hours into BL2 taking a Gunzerker up to OP8, so I'm a big fan of the core gameplay, just wondering if the Pre-Sequel has as much staying power as BL2.

Wal-Mart will have the Pre-Sequel for consoles marked down to $25 in their Black Friday ad. $25 is about the right price, so just find somewhere that offers price matching.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

RatHat posted:

Pre-Sequel is 33% off on GMG right now. Think it'll go lower in the Steam sale? It's only 20% at the moment.

It's $30 on Amazon right now, which is half off.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Vladof and Torgue, yes.

Throw in Maliwan and this statement is true across the range of weapons available, really. Gearbox put absolutely no thought whatsoever into the BanditScav and Dahl lines of guns and actively ignored what made S&S and Dahl work in the previous games (Elemental bonuses secondary only to Maliwan and Godly stats offput by being stuck in burst fire mode, respectively).

It's almost cynically funny that they took the time to rebrand Bandit as Scav and then did nothing to buff a pitifully weak (but cool looking) brand.

e: Oh hey Rosie just got a hotfix that dropped over a 100% of it's continuous damage bonus. Neat.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 2, 2014

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Oh hey, they actually listed all the stuff in the hotfix patch today -

Gearbox Software posted:

*Addressed an issue where some types of ice damage were being incorrectly resisted.

*Kraggons kills will now contribute the correct amount towards the "Big Game Hunt" challenge.

*Iwajira's is now less likely to drop legendary loot.

*"Did you see that?!" - Limited the number of critical hit dialogue call-outs.

*The Rosie's continuous damage bonus has been reduced.

*Miss Moxxi's Probe's lifesteal bonus and critical modifiers have been reduced.

Not too happy about Iwajira, grinding was the only way to get most of the weapons since half the bosses don't respawn anymore.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Tezzeract posted:

This add-on pack features all-new narrative content including appearances from veteran Vault Hunters Gaige and Axton, who recently returned to the Crimson Raiders HQ. While they were gone on a mission, they missed out on the events of Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and ask Athena to recount the story. Since they’re not the most patient badass Vault Hunters on Pandora, they just want an abbreviated version – only the juicy, violent stuff.

As Athena tells the tale, you’ll play through The Holodome Onslaught, a new challenge arena where you’ll fight wave after wave of foes, including some of The Pre-Sequel’s most memorable badasses as well as several new enemies. You’ll also be able to earn new weapons, new class mods, and some radical new heads and skins.

Since Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel launched on October 14th, the teams at Gearbox and 2K Australia have continued to work hard on supporting the game with post-launch content. Current plans for future content are to include one more playable character as well as a new campaign, so look out for more updates in the months ahead.
Well, at least they confirmed we're getting less than half of the DLC campaign content.

Also, I really hope the 'New heads and skins' are not going to be the Commando Trap/Gynoid Agent/Bandita Badass/Sno-Knight heads that were already on-disc and droppable via gibbed.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Tezzeract posted:

Hopefully they're good to make up for the less content. I know that the BL2 season pass wasn't really fun to solo outside of Tiny Tina and only had value when I was cooping.
Man, I couldn't disagree with you any harder. Captain Scarlett was the highest watermark I found in BL2 DLC. Tiny Tina had a terrible combination: a few very common, very poorly thought out enemies (the speedy leveling Orcs, Eternal Skeletons with bugged second winds that were never fixed, and that god-awful mandatory first dragon encounter with Roland) and the already deteriorating scaling, which played off each other like diesel fuel and fertilizer. Towards the end when I was seventy or so it just wasn't fun at all.

You're also forgetting that multiple DLCs means multiple locales, themes, and changes of scenery, something that a ton of people are bitching about. Having only one DLC is only going to exacerbate the biggest weakness of the Pre-Sequel: it's incredibly small in scope and practice.

In further DLC news, Pitchford backhandedly confirmed that there's only going to be 1 campaign DLC with this tweet:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

watho posted:

The arena is the ultimate vault hunter upgrade pack.

That's correct, the Arena comes with the 10 extra levels. The free pack just unlocks UVHM.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

UVHM details dropped today:

quote:

*Regular enemies will receive a 1.5x health multiplier and 1.5x shield multiplier
*Badass enemies will receive a 2.5x health multiplier and 3.5x shield multiplier
*Enemies are now more likely to drop ammo, plus enemies and chests will give you better gear than in other playthroughs
*Elemental weapons will also be more effective, as will gear with elemental resistance

They had the common sense to drop regenerating health, which is encouraging. I'd still like to see how it plays, though.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Thyrork posted:

Oh, i dont know .... :suspense:

Serious talk, with the upcoming sale, what's goonish thoughts on a good price for TPS? What would you pay in hindsight?

Thirty-ish is probably the lowest you'll see this holiday season.

Also, UVHM dropped for 360 sometime today.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

The Waddle Gobbler DLC from 2 legitimately had more effort put into it than the Holodome did. Upwards of a dozen new enemies by Holodome's definition, completely new environments, and it even had a raid boss (:v:). Let that sink in for a moment.

Tezzeract posted:

lets burn was right all along
Can't stress this enough, really. He's been the most entertaining thing to come out of this mess.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Thanks Salt Fish, this is the most entertainment I've gotten out of this game in weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

What was wrong with the DLC? Were the new characters not good?
Not-Jack is fine, but there are few bugs that allow him to do things like 'Fire your gun forever without expending ammo and also you shoot faster the longer you do it.'

The Holodome, on the otherhand, pissed off a lot of hangers-on. It had a total of two and a half new enemies (a new eridian that uses the enraged Goliath AI from 2, the Felicity armor you didn't fight in TPS, and a resize of a miniboss from eariler in the TPS.) and 6 new guns. Everything else - the environments, enemies, music, ect. - are carbon copied from the Eleseer map, the second to last map in the campaign. It also has (had?) a bizzare scaling bug that drastically that drastically reduced the number of enemies per wave in single player, which was made worse by how big the arena was. Dunno if they ever fixed that last thing.

AirRaid posted:

TPS is going to end up smaller, but I don't think they've really tried to say otherwise ever so i dunno what people are acting all surprised and butthurt about.

They billed it as being bigger than BL1, and made plenty of other promises in the 'Gearbox Cares' trailers they released before launch. Really, it's not just that it's smaller, but that it's unprecedented in how aggressively they're cutting corners every chance they get. That, and Pitchford being Pitchford on twitter when called on it. That last part just seems to be par for the course anymore, though.

• Locked thread