Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
So I've been wondering, are sites like Truecar or buying a car through Costco good prices? Based on your last response, I'm guessing at least Truecar is unrealistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
A good salesman/dealership can go a long way. I had two dealerships basically selling me the same car for the same price but I went for the one that was less pushy and seemed more honest.

Do you guys listen to NPR? Well, I bet goatse guy does otherwise she'd be a bad Subaru owner. :yotj:

This American Life did a podcast about a car dealership last year that I thought was fascinating but I don't know how accurate it is.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/513/129-cars

Edit: I totally drink the kool-aid at my work place too. I work in IT and they treat me pretty well. They have an on-site diner, gym, they feed us if they ask us to stay for over time, there's free M&Ms, all they need is a place to sleep and I might not ever have to leave...:stare:

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 23, 2014

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

goatse guy posted:

Today is my day off, but I logged onto VINSolutions to answer a customer email and oh god now I'm working from home.

Log out and stop doing work. 😁

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The used car market has gone full retard lately. Some blame the whole cash for clunkers, which did take a poo poo load of cars off the road. But, personally, I am contributing the issue now to the sub prime car loan ordeal.

Plus the fact that anything 25 years old is automatically considered "well, I saw a 1987 Lincoln Town Car go for 7000 on Mecum Auctions, so my ratted out piece of poo poo is worth the same".

The prices on more recent cars is ridiculous too, at least on imports. I've seen a year or two old Corolla sell for $13k+ and if you factor in the higher interest rate, you're probably better off just getting it new if you can.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
More recent used cars, my bad. I must have edited post and forgot to reread it.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Molten Llama posted:

I would have thought this impossible if I hadn't had a friend in that situation. Called me up in a frenzy one day because the repo guy had come to take their car after a couple missed payments.

They were paying $650 a month. On a five year note. For a used, poverty-spec Chevy HHR. :wtc:

Did I do the math right? Were they paying $39k for a used hhr?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
According to my dad, there's a dealership in the Cleveland area giving away 60'' inch TVs when you buy a car. I bet those are some terrible TVs or they're marking up their prices a lot.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

a primate posted:

Do people who can't drive stick ever take out a manual trans car for a test drive? I'm interested in buying a manual trans car but no one I know has one that I can practice on.

I did it. My friend taught me the basics in his car. I attempted to test drive the car myself because the salesman was too busy and it had to be the most nerve racking test drive I've ever done. I ended up buying the car and it has been my daily driver.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

goatse guy posted:

One of my coworkers is having a not-so-fun time trying to explain to her customer that he has to pay interest on his car loan, even though his religion forbids it. :stare:

What religion is that?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Viggen posted:

I wish I got the picture of the one I saw yesterday. It had a flame job, additional chrome trimmage beyond the usual JC whitney catalog, and personalized plates. By the time I got to the freeway entrance (about 6 blocks away), I was laughing so hard I was crying and had to pull off into a parking lot, lest I cause an accident. It was JUST THAT BAD.

I see a lot of PT Cruisers with flames and additional chrome trim. I have no idea why.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

goatse guy posted:

The PT Cruiser is stupid popular for some reason. I don't know why, but I take a lot of appointments on them whenever we have them in stock.

Because it's hip or own an ugly car? Or old people really like them?

My former coworker is driving one with 210+k miles on it. I have no idea how it still runs.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

goatse guy posted:

I saw this one on facebook this morning and suddenly I really want a raspberry Danish.

Thank you. Sent that to my gay friend who hates it whenever I reference Goatse.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

CornHolio posted:

Honestly, I prefer it. I've been driving BMWs in the winter for years, on all-seasons even. Yeah it's harder to get traction, but with FWD if you lose traction on the front wheels, you're boned. With RWD you can still steer with the throttle if the rears haven't broken traction yet.

Awhile ago I had my E36 and my Nissan Altima, and I couldn't go back to the Altima. It was so much more uncontrollable in snow that it was scary as hell.

What year is your Altima? I have a 2007 and it is awful in the snow. My dad didn't believe me that the car needed snow tires until he drove it himself.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

goatse guy posted:

I've seen them offered through finance departments in most of the dealerships that I've worked at.

I had a customer come in last night and buy a vehicle. She called me as soon as she drove off the lot to tell me that the CEL was on. Nevermind the fact that it was also on during the test drive and delivery, because she bought the warranty.

This month is off to a pitiful start. I've had 17 appointments shown and seven cars sold. Couple that with the fact that I've got five extra days off this month between holidays and personal time, so I'm not terribly optimistic about December's final numbers.

The salesman took her out on a test drive with a CEL? And she didn't ask questions about it?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

goatse guy posted:

Yes. Not every car we sell is going to be perfect. We sell a lot of cars that other dealerships would send to auction, because they are the right price for some of our customers.

Okay, fair. I'm just curious, how do these warranties work for the older vehicles? Are they through your dealership or a third party company? I'm also curious about price. Is it like x% of the price of the vehicle?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Cheap
Reliable
VW

Pick two?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

goatse guy posted:

Hyundai USA has declared that all leads that come in on Christmas Eve must be answered, even if the dealership is closed. I volunteered to do it because my coworkers have friends and family and actual plans for Christmas Eve.

I hope you're not spending Christmas Eve and Christmas by yourself.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Before you drive out there again, can you call and verify that they actually have the part? Hopefully that would save you some trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Just curious, do you take Harry into work regularly? Awesome place to work if they let you take him in with you regularly.

• Locked thread