Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
First Narset trigger of the Standard Season: Hits 2 Jeskai charms, and 1 Dig through Time. :frogsiren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Jeskai Tempo vs. Mardu Midrange in the SCG Open Finals. So cool to see the wedges doing well.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Count Bleck posted:

Steam Augury on the finals table! :siren:

Narset is on the board and protected from crackling doom :siren:

Hits: Stoke the flames and 3 misses

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

burntnorton posted:

Sarkhan wasn't a miss, had that not been lethal he could have played it post-combat.

Oh man, I thought it was instants and sorceries, not 'noncreature'. Jesus Christ.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Lets Pickle posted:

She also seems to be in a good place right now since Crackling Doom and End Hostilities are about the only things that kill her.

Also Drown in Sorrow and Anger of the Gods. But forcing them to keep their sweepers meant for aggro against your burn deck is kind of a win.

E:f;b

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

C-Euro posted:

Reminder text, not rules text :eng101: See foil vs non-foil Tenth Edition Time Stop.

1UUU
Instant

Make up two plausible modes.
Counter this spell if your opponent knows how to check oracle text.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Boxman posted:

I just tuned into the GP and I guess someone got a game loss at round 15 for registering a 39 card deck? Can anyone fill in the story, if it was interesting at all? Was it just revealed at a random deck check?

Tom Ross was on camera, board was mostly gummed up, he was slightly on his back foot.

He cast a second Dragon Grip to blow out his opponent in combat, but his deck only mainboards one copy. I think the commentators called him on it and stopped the game.

Edit: You could hear Cedric with a muted mic while Matthias' was still hot, giving directions to make them wait while they called the judge

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rinkles posted:

That's a little worse than accidentally playing less cards in your deck. I mean, that couldn't have been accidental right?

e:Or did he not realize his deck list didn't include a card he was actually playing?

He had drafted 2 copies of Dragon Grip, with 1 mainboard and 1 sideboard. His previous match, the Dragon's Grip would have matched up very well against his opponent, so it would not be surprising that it would have come in from the sideboard. Cedric was explaining that when de-sideboarding, he probably looked through his deck and thought "yep, that's in my deck" and forgot he had two copies in there instead of one like it should.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sickening posted:

So far it appears to be a limited bomb and not much else. Green already has some really solid creatures and are being played over it.

It was fun watching Melissa DeTora try to triple-pump her Savage Knuckleblade, and Cedric getting all hushed-breath "SHE DOESN'T KNOW HOW THE CARD WORKS". The judge made her do the first pump since it was legal, and rolled back pumps 2-3 since they were illegal. Then she chose to bounce it since it was going to die in combat. So she wasted 3 mana on a turn where she'd rather have been ~doing stuff~.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Enchant creature - Aura

This creature is an enchantment forest, in addition to its other type :v:

E: make it a bestow

I bestow your Polukranos into a mountain. Cast peak eruption, targeting Polukranos.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
This is just a prelude to the new format of vintage pauper and modern pauper

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Standard is now starting on the Pro Tour broadcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ2v-uRBYuc

Edit: First match is Ben Stark with Jeskai Aggro, vs. Raphael Levy as Mardu Planeswalkers control deck

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
What's the purpose of Dig Through Time-ing in response to a Thoughtseize effect from Mardu Charm? Why not just let it resolve first?

Edit: Duh, he'll take the Dig

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Genesis Hydra for X=7

Hits 5 lands before he flips hornet queen, then 1 more land.

I'll take it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

AlternateNu posted:

It is your duty now to build 4 color Quickling Rhinos.

Abzesper

Espzan

Azper

Azpergers

Asparagus

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

The MTGO design flaws continue!

If you play a foil Morph creature face down, the resulting morph on the battlefield is foiled. So if your opponent sees you have a foil morph game 1, they can now tell exactly which creature that is if you play it again in subsequent games.

Great design, guys.

I hadn't though about this - but it's interesting that playing foils in limited, if you are playing some number of non-foil, plus a foil card, you are giving away information if they see a non-foil Game 1, and a foil Game 2. They'll know you have at least 2 copies, when they wouldn't know you had more than 1 if not for foils.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Toshimo posted:

If you have a mana dork and an untapped land, and an Ascendancy out, you tap the mana dork and the land, cast twinflame, untap your dork, make a second dork who has haste. Now, every time you cast a noncreature spell, you get 2 mana. So, casting a Dragon Mantle draws a card and makes a mana, casting a 0-drop makes 2 mana and let's you use the Ascendancy loot, etc. Most of the time when you are trying to go off, you need 2 mana dorks and Twinflame generates a second one with haste, while untapping the first.

And don't forget the loot triggers on Jeskai Ascendancy!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Resolute Archangel to take Jeskai Control from 5 to 20. Still probably going to lose.

Edit: Control rips Elspeth and casts another Resolute Archangel :cripes:

Devor fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 18, 2014

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Ascendancy Combo keeps a 1-lander, plays 1 land and 0 spells before losing Game 2 and the match.

I wanted to see it go off :argh:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

neetengie posted:

gently caress yeah Temur monsters, knew that deck would show up eventually.

That second game from Kibler looked sweet. Looks fun too.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Count Bleck posted:

That was the fastest scry 1 keep I've seen in a long time.

*Drops the scryed card like it burned him*

Oh, uh actually I'm still thinking about the scry.

Yeah, I'll keep it on top.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
The Grand Prix is in the dark, and it's not just because of Wizards' poor production values (the room lights turned off, they're slowly warming back up now)

Edit: Finals of the GP is Boss Sligh vs Green/Red Monsters

Devor fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 20, 2014

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Sultai Control on SCG stream right now. We might see a Villainous Wealth vs. R/G Monsters!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Devor posted:

Sultai Control on SCG stream right now. We might see a Villainous Wealth vs. R/G Monsters!

Not very impressive performance overall, but did manage to do one for X=4 and hit Polukranos and Fanatic of Xenagos

E: Second one for X=4 hit Caryatid, Mystic, Lightning strike

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Zorak posted:

Apologies if I missed this being posted:

Perilous Ring

Sol Vault

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Creatures with cumulative upkeep:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&text=+[cumulative]&type=+[%22Creature%22]

And even if it's something you could normally do (like add -1/-1 counters), you can just choose not to, then ignore the sacrifice clause?

Edit: Mother of God

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=121250

Devor fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 30, 2014

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Olothreutes posted:

So this is one that I'm never really clear on. Huge creature with trample is blocked by a small creature with protection from the big creature. Half of me wants to say the attacker just can't deal damage so nothing happens, the other half of me says that protection prevents the damage assigned but trample says the attacker only has to assign what would be lethal (like in the case of things like fog bank, it doesn't soak all the damage from a trampling attacker just the first two) and the remainder tramples through. I think the first case is true, but the second case feels mechanically more correct.

It gets worse when the trampling attacker has deathtouch too.

Attacking with Green Trampling 6/6, Blocked by 3/3, Pro-Green. You must assign at least 3 damage to the blocker (which would be lethal), 3 damage tramples through. The damage to the creature is prevented (the D in DEBT).

Attacking with Green Trampling 6/6 Deathtouch, Blocked by 3/3, Pro-Green. You must assign at least 1 damage to the blocker (which would be lethal due to deathtouch), 5 damage tramples through. The damage to the creature is prevented (the D in DEBT), so deathtouch does not make the blocker die.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gyshall posted:

Maro is just a big ol' goon, he probably posts itt sometimes. I also like that he is in charge of the game I like to play.

If you say "color pie" three times while looking in a mirror, he'll materialize and all your copies of Hornet Queen will disappear.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Would you prefer "I'm not going to spend 2 weeks and 150 dollars for something that's ultimately not worth it by any metric"?

I don't find it worth doing anymore, plain and simple. It's not worth the hassle of building a deck.

But think how fun it would have been if you hadn't cheated misplayed and drawn an extra card

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Tom Ross, no :(

2 more years of Siege Rhino

E: Heliod's Pilgrim, fail to find on the trigger

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Kabanaw posted:

There's a problem with a tournament system where people who play more on the day of the tournament are punished for it. Why should a hall of famer, someone who ground byes, won a GPT, etc, systematically get an advantage on the day of the tournament with a 4-2 record than someone who goes 7-2? Isn't playing only 6 rounds instead of 9 an advantage enough? Why should somebody who played better that day (77% wins over 9 rounds on the day versus 67% over 6) have less of a chance of going to day 2?

They reward people who consistently do well. I know as a viewer I'd rather see Tom Ross or someone else I know play magic, than have 8 no-names in the top eight every week.

And in unrelated news, this is a lot of hornets.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Spiderdrake posted:

'Still Had All Bees' is the best magic deck name in ages.

Sidisi Whip deck had 10 Hornet Queen ETB triggers in one game, counting hardcasts, and whip-backs (enabled with help from Soul of Innistrad).

That is All the Bees

Edit:

Fingers McLongDong posted:

If i control a hardened scales and a doubling season, and I cast a spike feeder, whats the maximum number of counters I can end up with when it enters?

They're replacement effects looking at the same action of 'place two tokens', so they each get one bite of the apple. You can order it (reverse, but so they resolve this way)

Hardened Scales (Was 2, now it's 3)
Doubling Season (Was 3, now it's 6)

OR

Doubling Season (Was 2, now it's 4)
Hardened Scales (Was 4, now it's 5)

So, it's 5 or 6 depending on how you order it.

Devor fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 1, 2014

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Applebees posted:

Josh Utter-Leyton got a Mox Jet. It looks like that was the only Power that was opened.

Ha, that kind of puts in perspective "where are they going to find all that power?".

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Patrick Chapin vs Shahar Shenhar in the World Magic Cup Finals just started

If Chapin wins, maybe SCG will bring him back as a commentator :smith:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
http://www.twitch.tv/magic

Finals just ended though

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

e:f,b but lol you sound fun to play with

To be fair, maybe he saw Fated Conflagration which does specify planeswalker, and thought that's how it works now.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Chamale posted:

Or maybe he wants to spend $18,000 on a Vintage deck and dive right in, his call.

I want a channel of nothing but stone cold MTG newbies piloting vintage decks commentated by LSV.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Erdos posted:

What happens if you counter someone casting a morph with Kheru Spellsnatcher? Do you get the creature coming in face up, face down, or just a generic sort of morph token?

Reading the ruling, you cannot pay alternate costs, such as morph. So you'd have to play the card you stole face-up.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=386581

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

vOv posted:

What happened with Sands of Time?

I'm guessing this ruling

8/1/2008 Skipping the untap step means that phased out cards won't phase in, and permanents with phasing won't phase out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Keiya posted:

At least card names don't matter that much in Magic. The type line is one of the most under appreciated bits of plumbing that makes Magic work.

:colbert:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=175243

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=370746

I realize you qualified it with "much" but I like being fussy

• Locked thread