Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lmao 14.5's Podcasts app downloaded 28gb of podcasts to my phone. Apple has made a huge shitshow out of it and the only way to get rid of all the past podcasts is either one by one or deleting the entire app and it's data from my iPhone. Back to OverCast for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Anki?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Iirc I heard that Kid Pix still lives on iOS

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I know its been a couple years since I've been able to use it but Google Maps is loving amazing when it came to using it for transit in Japan- even telling me which side of the train platform to be on to make extra sure.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Strong Sauce posted:

is there a recommended "hardcore" camera app? i think halide was always the answer when people asked this but is there a better one now? i'm looking for something that can emulate dslr shooting but also isn't a terrible interface.

I've always liked ProCamera.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Not sure if this is the thread for it- but if somebody sends me multiple photos in Messages, is there a way to select multiples to save instead of just one at a time?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

wooger posted:

Can’t believe even Elon is that overzealous.

Lmao

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

mawarannahr posted:

What subscription apps do you use?

I'm using Drafts Pro ($19.99/year, amazing general purpose text editing, processing, scripting), no ads for Overcast ($9.99/year, using it for badly recorded podcasts), and trying out TickTick ($2.99/month, persistent reminders that I can't ignore, multi-platform).

Overcast

Clip Studio Paint (but mostly use it on my ipad)

Shonen Jump

1Blocker

A Better Route Planner (for electric cars)

Apple One

NoMoRobo (seems to becoming less effective)

Weather Underground

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Warbird posted:

Parcel seems nice but I don't love the subscription. I'll give it a shot and see if I can get by without handing over money each year.

I mean, it's only $5/year. If it works where Deliveries has failed (now with almost everything at this point) it seems worth it to me.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ok the iOS 17 photos addition of identifying breeds of cats & dogs and identifying what food is in a photo is not necessarily super accurate or useful (well the food one is useful if you like to check recipes) but it's pretty fun even if it misidentified my cat Lulu as a wirehair and my cat Rokit as a Bombay. :)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Warbird posted:

About 5 $/yr less an initial buy in I’d say. :v: Though as mentioned due to the sheer range of bullshit entailed in supporting that many companies/APIs I totally get the need for a sub. That doesn’t make me happy about the fact, but I do understand it.

You know what, I realize in a way that I was lovely for saying "what's the problem with $5/year" because for some people counting every single dollar is really important, so I take back my saying that.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

priznat posted:

Now it has the pets being identified in their own photo albums. It is surprisingly good, some of my pets over the years look extremely similar.

It seems to be taking a long time for me- after 2 days I finally have an album for my calico Lulu, but no album for my black cat Rokit or any other past cats that I have a poo poo ton of photos of in my phone.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mr. Fix It posted:

this makes me so irrationally angry. i'm guessing this is how boomers felt when they started playing hair metal on 60s/70s rock stations

I have fun referring to 70s rock as "oldies" to people and watching them get mad

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Skeezy posted:

The Apple journal app isn’t available on the iPad or Mac.

It’ll probably be an iPadOS 18 feature but as of now with 17.2 Journal is iPhone only.

Apple does some good things then continues to say gently caress you for actually making said good things work across all of their platforms jesus christ.

Hell I'm still pissed that facial recognition to unlock the ipad STILL won't work if you are wearing a mask.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

That is absolutely abnormal behavior for CarPlay. I have a different podcast app though.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Is there something on the Apple TV that works for this problem?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Silly Burrito posted:

Skipping ads? Yeah. An app called Yattee. It’s just a bit confusing to set up, but it works.

I'll check it out, thank you!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

One of the killer features (for me) of the native Photos app is the ability to find photos by location- especially because there are events that I remember where they were but I don't always remember the exact date. But sometimes I want to find a photo at a location that I've taken a ton of pics (such as my house) but I end up having to scroll like hell to get to a particular date and I have to start from 13 years ago. Is there a way to do a search by location AND date? It would save me a crapload of time tap-scrolling on my phone.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Question Mark Mound posted:

In the search field, after you search for a location and tap the drop down for the place name, you can just keep typing to add new terms such as a month or a year.
e.g. so it ends up like [Ireland] [January] [2014]

Dang, thank you!

edit: like, REALLY, thank you. My father has alzheimer's and I occasionally want to show him photos of certain events and times, and this will make things a lot easier.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 15, 2024

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Question Mark Mound posted:

Glad that I was able to help with something actually important! I just use it to look at all the places my dog has been.

That's important too. :3:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not suffering from a delusion wherein I think I can secure my phone from having data collected and monetized. I just won't use these features and don't want to see them. I'm not in need of consolation of any kind.

For example, the Photos app has 4 tabs, and I won't use the Library tab or the Suggested tab. The top icon in the Albums tab is a Recents album that's built in and can't be turned off. So I see no reason to use an app where I'll be consciously avoiding like 3/4 of the interface every time I use it.

You can select photos and then create an album specifically for those ones, and add to that folder later within the photos app. You could also turn location services off for photos if you don't want that but I find it incredibly useful for when I remember where I took a photo but don't remember when it was.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

Yes, I'm familiar with the concept of creating a folder and putting files in it.

I don't.

This is what I'm talking about. Is there some reason I shouldn't just use a different gallery app? Is something bad going to happen to me if I use a gallery app that isn't Photos? Do I need to accept Apple into my heart as my Lord and personal saviour?

No, but I don't know of another one and you can shove your condescending attitude up yer butt.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

priznat posted:

My iOS to Imgur upload shortcut seems to have broken, anyone know a good share sheet shortcut for photo sharing (to whatever free service, not sure if imgur is still the best option)

Also is there an iOS shortcut thread here?

I don't have any shortcuts but I highly recommend postimages.org for uploading pictures (not videos) for posting here. It is very direct on just presenting the links you need to copy/paste to show your image on forums etc.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TACD posted:

Yeah I absolutely hate subscriptions as a trend but Parcel is £3 per year which is the only reasonably-priced subscription I’ve ever seen

Yeah I was bummed when Deliveries went to poo poo but with the exception of no web interface to link your account to check on my laptop Parcel does the job well.

edit: I especially like that you can link your amazon account with Parcel and when you order something and it ships, Parcel will automatically add it to the list so you can track it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TACD posted:

It has a Mac app as well

It looks like it’s now £4.50 a year now, I guess I’m grandfathered in at the old price

Oh cool, thanks!