Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Great episode overall.
Saying that though, I thought the motorbike joust was dumb as hell

Kammat posted:

BARROWMAN!!!!

Actually it's SIR BARROWMAN!!! now, isn't?

No he is an MBE, not a kerrr-nigget

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

VDay posted:

That scene came off to me like someone had the idea to do a good version of the Mission Impossible 2 bike joust, but then when they went to actually film it they just didn't/couldn't think or film as many of the cool ideas as they probably had. So the result is a couple of kind of cheesy looking back-and-forths, then a power slide that could've been neat but wasn't quite executed quickly enough to be truly awesome/impressive. Even the ending was kind of iffy. I mean, did Ollie take an arrow to the chest/shoulder and just brush it off? A for effort, but ultimately one of Arrow's few forgettable action scenes.

Yeah the whole sequence just didn't sit right for me.
Apart from the fact it went on too long, I don't really buy Oliver just basically loving about with the guy who he thinks killed his girlfriend.
"HE GOT AWAY!!!" - yeah no poo poo sherlock, maybe you should have just not driven at him and shot his bike with one of your magic vehicle killing arrows that you use to take out 18 wheelers?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

BreakAtmo posted:

I think the idea is that if the people behind the show are openly discussing such developments in interviews and even sticking them in the titles then they're likely not a huge deal. Though next episode previews are often pretty bad about that as well, so yeah.

The whole point of spoiler rules are because it is pretty easy to steer clear of producer and actor interviews. Just because they are being open about stuff doesn't mean it is open season on discussing every little tidbit that has been written. Most big shows are doing this sort of stuff these days, people seem to think that the audience has the attention span of less than a day and need to be constantly fed information in the following week to make sure they tune in again.

This thread isn't so bad now, but the comic chat in the Flash thread is becoming annoying too.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Why would Felicity recover data from the research labs that she helped destroy so that the stuff from the research labs could not be used by anyone?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

VagueRant posted:

On the other hand, Diggle wrestling the guy out of a moving jeep was a beautiful stunt. Always glad when The Best Character gets to actually do something.

I thought that was pretty weak.
They guy starts jumping out of the jeep before Diggle even reaches in. Diggle just puts his hand on his shoulder and they both fall off the jeep.

edit: Oops didn't see the new page with the gif and other people pointing this out.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
They shot loads of Roy stuff last season but a lot of it got cut in the edit.
Hopefully that stuff will make it to DVD extras.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Narciss posted:

Ras sounded so Australian. Dude wasn't even trying to do an accent.

Yup he had what sounded like an Aussie twang to some of his words (I'm British).

I find it hilarious that when team Arrow + guests go out hunting everyone has a disguise - apart from Diggle.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

imperialparadox posted:

Aren't they always cutting scenes with Roy due to "time" and "pacing?" Kind of sucks though, you would think Ollie's relationship with his sidekick would be a major story element.

Yeah pretty much every episode from the second half of last season had comments from the cast and crew saying "maaan we had some really cool Roy stuff but had to cut it in the edit"

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
When are we back on air?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
One thing that annoys me about this show is the amount of bullets that get chucked about and no one hits anything - it's like watching an episode of the A Team sometimes.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Dead Snoopy posted:

I know a lot of the flashback stuff w/ Hong Kong hasn't captured the viewer's imagination the way The Island did but I'm actually riveted by it and find it great to see it picking up speed. I figure that if Arrow goes 6 seasons we're on track to have seasons 5-6 include more context w/ Russia.

Unless they change the way they do the flashbacks they will run out by the end of season 5 as they run concurrently with the "real time". So at the end of season 5 we will see Oliver get resuced again (in flashback).

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Spacebump posted:

I hope they have some kind of explanation in a later episode for why Laurel doesn't use the canary cry in every fight.

There wasn't an explanation of why Sarah didn't use it every fight so I wouldn't hold tor breath.
Probably for the reasons why we don't have an explanation of why Ollie doesn't use tazer or tranq arrows all the time - it would be boring.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Hollismason posted:

There's actually a official DC Green Arrow Chili recipe its loving disgusting if anyone is wondering. It will probably legitimately will make you ill if you eat this.

Yeah that gets posted every couple of weeks. It is why people were talking about chili cook offs in the first place.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

"King of Soloman" posted:

Words

I think you are right about what this season is trying to be about and I think a lot of people here also get it, but the thing is they haven't pulled it off very well. I still like this show but the quality of this season is below previous seasons. Hopefully the final third will tie everything together in a good way.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Crippling hospitals bills may be worse than death. Oliver is truly the worst part of "his" city.

Still not as bad as Reese kneecapping everyone in Person of Interest :)

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

XboxPants posted:

Just to add an alternate point of view, I've been watching roughly since the pilot, and I feel mostly the same way you do about the current season.

I am still enjoying the show, and the flashbacks don't bother me as much as they do a lot of people (though, despite not being bothered by them, if ya twisted my arm I'd probably admit the show could better use the time) but... this season has felt like the weakest one to me.

Although, someone said the Dig/Oliver relationship has had a chance to shine lately and that is definitely true, and that's been really fun. It'd be cool if he got a plot of his own... spoiler for upcoming stuff though I guess Deadshot is showing up soon so maybe I'll get my wish?

If you are going to spoiler stuff get your tags right

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Sir Potato posted:

Pretty great episode. Brandon Routh was killing it as was the guy who played Deadshot. Still hoping he didn't die, as well, though.

Well the explosion was pretty lame - it just blew out some windows, the roof and the rest of the walls were fine.

I really liked that episode, a return to form. Still laughing at Ollie walking off and leaving Roy though.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That would be the best twist. They decide to go after Oliver for all his earlier murders.

He gets life without parole.

Imprisoned on an island :)

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Xtanstic posted:

The worst part is I've been waiting for Oliver to go public since season 2 and to officially announce that the city is under his protection. I expected that was how he'd rehabilitate his season 1 image and I thought that's how he'd handle his return from near death. I got teased again when he turned himself in tonight.

Apart from outing Oliver queen as the Arrow he sort of did this when he got back from being ressurected after defeating Brick, but then everything just went back to how they have been this season with the Arrow not really doing much city protecting.

I think this sort of sums up why I am not liking this season as much - there has really not been much Arrow being the protector of the city stuff, it's all been outside of the city or dealing with stuff that is only a threat to the Arrow gang (plus the Hong Kong stuff being mostly pointless).
I'm not ready to give up on the show yet, but I hope they have some outstanding way of wrapping up the season or that they have been listening to the feedback (assuming here is typical) and step it up next year.

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 2, 2015

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Yeah that trailer was aces. Hopefully those last 5 episodes will pull everything together like I hoped.
Also there is a Flash end of season trailer right after that has loads of Arrow stuff in it too.
Both look awesome.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, I agree. An archer should never choose to engage opponents in melee except as a last resort. I'd love to see him kite his opponents more by preparing the battlefield in advance with traps and distractions that slow down and disable opponents so he can shoot them with arrows.

It's not an MMO

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, I hate that they are ignoring that, since it was supposed to be a major character development arc. It's really confusing to see him running around and even fighting since he isn't supposed to be able to do that without getting hospitalized basically.

His illness was literally the only reason Laurel decided not to tell him about Sarah which has caused all this angst - she thought that telling him would make his heart stop which was loving stupid. I don't think anyone other than Laurel stated that he was that ill.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

I like how the interview about Haynes leaving the series said they had him for a two year deal and knew the clock was ticking and were hoping he'd stick around.

Well, uh, maybe if you didn't keep cutting his scenes and gave him more development and time on the series he would have! Especially if you knew he only had a two year deal!

And yeah, once you have a 2 year deal with an actor that is it, there is no way to get him to sign on for more years. Clock is ticking!

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

VagueRant posted:

The fight on the back of the truck was kinda cool.

End of positivity.

Actually I thought that was a weak point of the episode.

4 guys with automatic weapons shooting at the car at about 10m or so, only get a couple of movie bullet spark hits but there is no damage to the vehicle at all.
Both Ollie and Maseo shooting back and hitting nothing.
Ollie getting onto the truck and not getting shot at.
Katana blind stabbing the guy through the side of the truck, coming in and both of them taking a time out for a bit of witty banter when there was still soldiers standing around.
Driver not reacting at all to the person climbing along the side of the truck, opening the door, then just flopping out without putting up a fight.

I guess when Thea woke up it was "confusion" from the process, but she had memories of Merlyn being her dad, not knowing her mother is dead, not knowing Ollie is alive and not knowing what Oliver looks like, all at the same time?

Why was Razz all "grrr, they killed assasins trying to escape so they must pay" but wasn't all "grrr they killed assasins trying to bust out Merlyn so they must pay" a couple of weeks back?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

VagueRant posted:

Yeah, that non-lethal stab from THE GREATEST ASSASSIN AND WARRIOR IN THE WORLD.
Eh, that's consistent with the inefficiency of guns and bullets in the show previous to this. I mean punches and arrows have always been more powerful.

(And even the Daredevil show that everyone is gushing over has a similar thing where doing a backflip directly in front of a gunman ensures a 0% accuracy rate.)

Katana's blind stab was a little hosed up though. "I'm pretty sure I won't hit Ollie, probably. Maybe." Also where did she actually come from?

I think the whole gun thing in the show has been building for me for a while, that scene just took the piss.

TV in general doesn't deal with guns very well - I loved 24 but it used to really annoy me about how inconsistent the main characters were with thier guns. In one scene they will be dropping guys with pinpoint accuracy, the next they get into an extended firefight shooting multiple mags and not hitting a thing.

Valeyard posted:

All I will say is Season 6 was garbage and Season 7 was a massive improvement.

Hahaha, what?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Spergatory posted:

I just. Seeing it written so plainly... I already knew it was stupid, but I didn't realize until now just how stupid it is. What on earth happened in that writers room. :psyduck:

It has still not become clear exactly what Merlyn was thinking with his plan.

Yeah his end goal was to get the League off his back, but his plan doesn't make any sense what so ever.
"I know I'll drug my daughter, get her to kill her brothers girlfriend, which will force her brother to kill Raz which I know will not work as he is not good enough. So he will try and fail but still live then I can train him and my daughter (who is still on a death list for doing the killing that I made her do).
Oh and then get all upset when Raz kills my daughter but then not let her be put into the magic hot tub as she will have a bad hangover for a bit.

I really hope everything comes together in the last few episodes.
I still enjoy the show, but this season has been a downturn in quality - not enough to make it a bad show but it's teetering on the edge. Hopefully the overall feeling in this thread is mirrored elsewhere in places where they are listening and can course correct next season - get a proper villian, a threat that the heros need to deal with, not insular stuff that only threatens the team.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

XboxPants posted:

They weren't, but a significant amount of that production team and resources is now split between Flash and Arrow. I've been saying all along that hopefully this will be their trial run at doing multiple series concurrently, and hopefully they'll do better next year. But maybe they won't.

Yup you are going to be 100% correct there. Either next season will be better or it will not :D

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Spergatory posted:

Also of note: this is the second episode in as many weeks where a bunch of people opened fire in a densely crowded area and hit gently caress-all.

At least this week the vehicles got hit, bullet holes and smashed windows. Last week there was no damage at all.

JohnSherman posted:

Why do you think everyone uses bows?

The only person who hit anything with a bow was Thea.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Is dipping fries in milkshake a thing that Americans really do ? Sounds disgusting (although Nyssa seemed to really like it :) )

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
How did they think that made for a good cliffhanger ending - oooooh everyone has been given the virus and they are dead. Apart from the fact that they have spent the last 3 episodes in the terrible Hong Kong flashbacks showing how people with the virus die, in pain spewing blood everywhere team Arrow just fell asleep. Hmmm, I wonder, maybe they had already been given the antidote and someone subbed in knockout gas or something. Next week when they wake up it will be a massive shock I am sure.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Scyantific posted:

Should just make a drinking game for every time after an Arrow episode where people come in here making GBS threads on the episodes.

Anyway, here's the full trailer for the finale.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrCwIUEIWb0

Thea not wasting any time getting into that suit.

Why did they even bother having the "team arrow is all dead" cliffhanger when it just shows them all up and about in the trailer

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

hi liter posted:

Calling it now: Oliver has secretly been inoculating the team to the Omega for weeks without any foreshadowing whatsoever.

Sorry if someone already made this prediction.

Yes other people had made that prediction.
You don't need to spoiler speculation.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Mortanis posted:

I find it entertaining. I know they're not going to die so I find entertainment in figuring out what the actual situation is and how the plot is going to change from it. This one is likely (hopefully) better than "and then they were saved by Deus Ex Machina walking onto the screen". It was likely all part of Oliver's plan, including Malcolm's "betrayal" to Ra's, so my entertainment comes from trying to find out what the real game is.

:shrug:

No one in this thread has said they think team arrow is dead. People are critisising it as a lame "cliffhanger" because everyone knows they are not dead. It would have been a better ending to show the league thinking they are dead to the virus then showing us how they didn't die, leaving us to wonder what the outcome of THAT is going to be. Now next episode is going to start with an event we all know is going to happen (which they have revealed in all the previews anyway).

It's great that you find entertainment from that, but it baffles me how you could be baffled by people finding different things entertaining than you do.

People are critisising the show this season not to be "cool" or "goony" because it was legit good the last 2 seasons and this season is just not as good in a lot of peoples eyes. It's not been Dexter Season 8 bad and there has been some cool stuff - I'm not about to give up on it, but I hope they have listened to some of the critisism and make some changes next season.

Someone mentioned a couple of weeks ago that in the previous 2 seasons the cast were all over facebook and twitter bigging up the next episode saying how cool it is - not so much this year. Maybe this is a sign that they realise this season is not firing on all cylinders? (or maybe they are just busy).

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Levantine posted:

I'm starting to think these shows would fare better if they were truncated to like 13 episodes or something. My ideal version of that concept would be to have them run consecutively, not concurrently, year round. When Arrow ends, a short break then Flash. Then Legends or whatever. The 22 episode format is making these shows feel super thin to me. I suspect their creative staff is spread pretty thin having three shows running simultaneously.

You are not the first person to suggest this, and I agree with you. I think the idiotic American system of 22 episode seasons on network tv no matter what is proving to be bad , with the increase in quality alternatives and access to global content highlighting the waste that stretching out stories to fit an arbitary number of shows for what it is.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Remember when everyone was angry at me earlier this year for saying that the flashbacks were bad.

Nope - Pretty much everyone hated the flashbacks this season.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

zoux posted:

So next season's going to be Ollie, Diggle, Laurel, Thea and Felicity. That's going to be about as tight as the cast has been at this point, which bodes well. Part of the problem with the season, in my opinion, is that the storylines were kind of all over the place and they just had to do too much to service each character.

Well that is the cast we have now, that doesn't mean they won't add more again.

The only thing I liked about this season's flashbacks was right at the end where we saw Ollie turning into the cold killer that arrived back at the start of season one.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Darke GBF posted:

Amell is and always will be the best thing about Arrow. Dude is so into it, and loves interacting with his fans.

This is the reason I hope they realised internally that the quality wasn't as good this season. Last season amell and the rest of the cast would be on social media every week bigging up the latest episode and talking about how cool they thought it was. This season they have been really quiet.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

teagone posted:

:stare: I wish it to be reeeeaaaaal.

loving hell that looks terrible. I hope the production team see it, print it out and stick it up the wall as an anti style guide.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Ollie will be back in Starling by the end of episode 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
It's almost as if within a country there are different accents and different people have different accents based on their circumstances.

• Locked thread