Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
This was my Reformed Norse empire before I upgraded to Rajas, with the Bjorn Ironside start. Best mapgame campaign I've ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
there was a point when france was divided evenly between the Norse north and Umayyad Aquitaine. Those were some great wars. The Alpine emirate was all that survived, directly ruled by the caliph.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wormskull posted:

I want to be scythians.

gonna need a new Rome game for that, Scythians ceased to recognizably exist 200ish BCE

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i loled

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Luigi Thirty posted:

rome is antiquated, rome 2 is a buggy pile of poo poo. medieval and shogun are the best. empire and napoleon suck because the combat model falls apart when you introduce too many firearms. it works with shogun because soldiers with rifles are incredibly expensive so there are very few of them unless you're the superior Shimazu who start with gun soldiers

lmao if your samurai clan can't outgun the Army of the Potomac by 1865 in FotS

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Larry Parrish posted:

This is my human being CK2 masterpiece, because I played it as a Crusader King and mostly only gained lands through crusades. I kinda cheated and fabricated a ton of claims to form Hispania, but that was mostly because I was really sick of having 6ish kingdom titles but no empire title.

Did you have Sunset Invasion on?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

K. Flaps posted:

Is there a mod for maybe CK2 or whatever to play as the roman republic? Fighting the punic wars etc.

if you reconquer enough as the byzantines you can reform the roman empire in the medieval period

and eventually port that to eu4

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
you have a good av gently caress trophy 2k14.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
they're still your vassals just tribal vassals. you gotta reform them. real charlamagne did that mostly through massacres, try it

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
a campaign mode for the 30 Years War would necessitate soooo many character-directed war crimes

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
just import them from Elder Kings

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm doing an india game in charlemagne. buddhist maybe.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
ck2 is a good game

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
where are you playing widestancer

i started a 700s game on sri lanka and had to banish my fuckhead eldest son when he refused to accept the island's transition to ultimogeniture. i will now spend the next several centuries developing it into the premiere naval and diplomatic power of the indian ocean

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
otoh gently caress the pope and his ridiculous hat

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Island kingdom of Lanka took its first mainland province. Buddhist troop sprites look baller.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
are there any hardcoded invasions of India before the 15th Century in CK2? My tough little centralized Sri Lankan kingdom seems primed to take the whole Deccan without significant outside intervention.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wormskull posted:

Drive up to Tampa Bay and I'll meet you in South St Pete and we can smoke some crack, hang out with prostitutes and talk map games.

i worked a 60 day contract installing office furniture on the ussocom campus at macdill last autumn, has tampa become any more/less of a shithole with decent food since then

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
grossdoucheland

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
what new lands do your armies harry knuc

what fresh cheevs await the conqueror's boot

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

DICKHEAD posted:

i think eu4 is the only paradox game where i really like playing majors.

Well... Vicky 2 as well I guess

i like playing minors within majors in ck2 but the point is well taken

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
serves em right for bringing cataphraktoi to a gunfight

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

DICKHEAD posted:

Holy gently caress the 30 Years War is brutal.

The Schwedentrunk (English: Swedish drink) is a method of torture and execution. The name was invented by German victims of Swedish troops during the Thirty Years' War. This method of torture was administered by other international troops, mercenaries, and marauders, and especially by civilians following the Swedish baggage train, who received no pay. It was used to force peasants or town citizens to hand over hidden money, food, animals, etc., or to extort sex from women.

Even though 15% to 20% (locally up to 60%) of the German population perished due to violence, famine, and disease during the war, the memory of the Schwedentrunk was preserved. The method was immortalized in one of the first widely read German books, the satirical Der abenteuerliche Simplicissimus published by Hans Jakob Christoffel von Grimmelshausen in 1668.

“ Den Knecht legten sie gebunden auf die Erd, stecketen ihm ein Sperrholz ins Maul, und schütteten ihm einen Melkkübel voll garstig Mistlachenwasser in Leib, das nenneten sie ein Schwedischen Trunk ”

Its English translation is:
“ They lay the bound servant on the ground, stuck a wooden wedge into his mouth, and poured into his belly a bucket full of foul manure water, which they called a Swedish Drink. ”

Use of the Schwedentrunk is recorded in the histories of towns throughout Southern Germany. Though specific circumstances differed, in every case a restrained and gagged victim was forced to swallow (by means of a funnel) a large amount of unappetizing, sometimes boiling liquid. Substances such as urine, excrement, liquid manure, and sullage were used for this purpose.

Apart from disgust, illness, and the possibility of bacterial infection, the Schwedentrunk inflicted intense gastric pain. Because liquids are incompressible, the victim's stomach and bowels must expand to painful proportions to accommodate the copious quantities of fluid. The torturers then squeezed the distended belly with wooden boards or trampled the victim underfoot.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
jesus knuc why do you have a ponytar now

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yolomancer posted:

Would people mind posting a few interesting starts for CK2 that I should check out? So far I've done the typical Ireland stuff, then reformed Roman Empire starting as Byz Count and I've done some viking stuff. Haven't touched republics or anything like thta.

It was ages ago but I really enjoyed the 1066 Duchy of Syria start. you've got no king-level vassal above you, just the Caliph himself, and crusades coming in a couple years to shake things loose. I helped the caliph fight off the franks in my game, formed the kingdom of syria and went independent, but you could also try to marry your way to caliph or whatever

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Larry Parrish posted:

I actually hate the poo poo out of colonial nation wars because any time I'm allied with a colonizer/have my own big colony they always, end up being an insane world war where Spain and France beat the poo poo out of England and Portugal and then it happens again 10 years later.

if this is happening in the late 17th/early 18th centuries it's a damned accurate representation of the period, except the Brits tended to win.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

DICKHEAD posted:

Doing this feels good no matter what country you play

that's beautiful

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

MindSet posted:

I get most of the dynasty management (though I'm not the best at picking wives/husbands it seems

Breeding programs to foster genius, strength and other purely genetic attributes works. breed your dynasty into a race of malevolent demigods

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
yes precisely

the prestige and diplomatic difficulties from marrying out o the way princelings and lowborns with the requisite traits are far outweighed by the raw power of super-monarchs
e: my sri lankan royal family has the weird veiny melon heads of the mutants from Beneath the Planet of the Apes

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 26, 2014

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

MindSet posted:

update: karen is hard as gently caress

Hell yeah it is. On a similar note, has anyone tried a game of EU4 as the Knights?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
every day that passes without an update to sync the Elder Kings mod with Charlemagne is a day wasted.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
So what is the levy bug? I haven't noticed anything amiss in my Blue Ridge game with the After the End mod.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

elf help book posted:

thats a really ugly mod setup there

The texture of national borders there lifts my hackles in a primal way that I can't adequately articulate.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Average Bear posted:

yeah i found in my Naples -> RE game becoming a vassal is more trouble than its worth. but now im regretting it since the byz went theocracy and i gotta take it piece by piece

What? They're led by the Orthodox Patriarch? How can that even happen?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Durr dur hur. Hitler should be insane and cruel and lustful and be middling at all the things he was a genuine master of. By the way, I believe that combusting jet fuel is hot enough to melt steel construction girders.

there weren't a single head of state in all the 20th century with any stat higher than 15. it's a dogshit century

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i wouldn't mind seeing the 1820 world map to that. what did the Ottomans end up doing?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Larry Parrish posted:

I got lazy for the last century or so. I was already at like 1800 base tax and had almost 10x the force limit of the guy below me so I was like 'whatever'. Norway totally hosed me though. They gave away my vassal Scotland's last actual province needed for making GB so i wasn't able to keep all European formables from happening.

Why didn't you destroy the Norse for this impertinence? Glad you kept the English from ruling the waves or whatever.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
make that man a count

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

what's haiti's story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008