Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wait who thinks heavies are overpowered? Unless you happen to be defending a very good sentry spot explosives classes will dunk on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah if you can force a straight deathmatch you'll probably beat a soldier, but if there are any corners nearby they can just hide between rockets and win pretty easily.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You can just completely ignore hats. There have been real updates (mainly new weapons and maps and stuff), the most notable one would probably be the addition of a co-op gamemode, Mann vs Machine.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah realistically you'll have access to all the unlockable weapons you want pretty quickly (most of them can be found on bot sites like scrap.tf, and if not then you can almost always find someone who will trade you the base weapon as long as you're prepared to give them two weapons for it).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Wait, scratch that. Always taunt after you kill someone.
Why isn't there a cosmetic item that forces you to taunt after every kill yet?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If you factor in reloading the SMG and pistol are pretty much the same if all the bullets hit. So yeah the SMG is basically worse.

It makes sense though, the sniper isn't meant to be good if he's isolated at close range.

khwarezm posted:

You know what? You're right, I need to complain about new exciting things, forget mini-sentries, heavies, huntsmen whatever I realized a while ago that what I really hate fighting against is the baby face's blaster, especially as demoman or another scout.
I love the BFB, but then again I love anything that makes sticky spammers miserable so

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I've tried forcing myself to play sniper to improve my aim, but I generally just get bored and start going for jarate/bushwacka kills (2fort is pretty good for this, nobody expects snipers to actually leave the battlements and chase them).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Its not stickies, its grenades, try hitting a scout moving at a million miles an hour with it.

If I'm playing demoman its actually better to be a sticky-spamming dickhead against the BFB since its the same strategy of peppering the ground with stickies to restrict movement and force him to walk over them, if you're playing demoknight you have to have absolutely rock-solid aim with your grenades and charging is pretty ineffectual since the scout is moving so fast he can often just outrun you.
It's still one of the best ways to actually kill them though :shrug:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Frankly posted:

Also how do you guys deal with Short Circuit Engies nesting up? Apart from Sniper/Spy I'm out of ideas and both are situational really
Use a class that isn't demo or soldier

Really a heavy/medic can usually break the nest, and there's certainly nothing they can do once you put an uber on them. Although I did once defend a payload point for 10 minutes because the other team didn't work out you could uber classes other than demos.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Make it also fling them when facestabbing, it's like a piss knife.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's kindof unbelievable that spells don't clear out stickies and disable sentries for a bit, that seems like such an obvious fix.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Why not just make an MvM event?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

pisshead posted:

Sniper is balanced by the skill of the players. Most people aren't good enough at it to really be a problem. I think if the top CS players decided to play TF2 they'd have to remove the class.
I thought snipers were balanced by the horrible hit detection that would likely make any top CS player quit in disguist.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hihohe posted:

Yeah every time I kill someone they have two bodies. One that goes ragdoll and one that keeps running. It messes me up. Anyone else getting this?
Pretty sure they just accidentally gave the new spy effect to everyone.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What is the "hard counter" to demo

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If players on the losing team quit then that also forces people on the stacked team to autobalance, I don't see how it's any different. In any case I don't think anybody ever did the spectator exploit to help their team, they did it to stack onto the other side and make it more unbalanced.

I think ideally the only way to change to the other team after a game has started would be autobalance, that way you prevent the stacking from occurring at all. Doesn't matter if you go to spectate or leave and come back, it wouldn't let you on the other team.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Jippa posted:

What ever balancing that the valve servers used for the last load of years was great, I have no complaints. This new system is terrible I cannot stress this enough. Completely one sided rolls.
There have always been loads of horribly stacked teams, I can only imagine you were involved in the stacking/were so good you caused stacking if you think this.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The medic is powerful but he a) requires some degree of teamwork and b) breaks stalemates, so I think he's fine.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

pisshead posted:

Even three players is merely a quarter of the team. If that's a stack then the other team must suck donkey dicks. But instead of expecting the losing players to get their act together, Valve just pander to them.
TBH I think this viewpoint is really stupid, it's not like you can expect a bunch of people who barely understand the basic mechanics of the game to suddenly become as good as people with hundreds of hours of practice in every class

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Oh no your team might have to have classes other than scouts to complete the push :ohdear:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The confusion probably arises because as a good (or even moderately competent) player the responsibility of dealing with sentries often falls to you, so you are pretty much forced away from scout. If you have other decent team-mates then you can go scout to deal with the enemy dudes (or even to help with the sentry if you take Bonk!).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

It's a fundamental flaw of Payload and A/D that maps must be turtley because turtling is how RED wins. They can't take any ground, the only way for them to win is to keep BLU from winning for a certain amount of time. If the map discourages turtling it is imbalanced against RED.
I dunno I like maps where RED has some incentive to counterpush. Examples would be the map room above the final point in Badwater and the buildings that overlook the second point in Gold Rush.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

"Was the stylish bandit who robbed a country McDonalds in a navy suit and balaclava while wielding a knife dressed up as a [Team Fortress 2] character?"

no

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...huge-knife.html
Well I can't see any other reason why he'd wear a balaclava, they must be onto something.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I've seen people request saps on sentries to help with pushes in slightly more co-ordinated servers. Doesn't help much in pubs though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Engineers are actually a good part of the game, having to defend a teleporter when on the attack/good sentry spots and dispensers when on defense is interesting.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can't see how any non-minigun Heavy primary would work, it would feel gimmicky because the Heavy is all about being able to project power on the spot for a sustained period of time. I guess something melee focused could be OK because that's just enhancing something fun you can do with the class anyway.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I used to get autobalanced a lot but it's gotten better since the spectator exploit was fixed.

e: If autoscramble triggers you aren't playing a contested game at all, I don't know how you could complain about it.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 30, 2014

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Looking forward to Quack and Dagger spies.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hihohe posted:

Explain to me why the tide turner aint op!
Because it's nowhere near as good as the stock weapon it replaces

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The problem I'd have with a sniper rifle that rewards headshots and punishes bodyshots is that there are already two of those (Bazaar Bargain, Hitman's Heatmaker) along with a third that situationally rewards headshots and removes no-scope bodyshots (Machina). As far as I'm concerned that design area has pretty much been explored.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

Yes and it needs to be the best offensive weapon because the Demoman sucks without it. He's slow and has lovely HP, if he didn't make up for that with something there'd be no reason to play him instead of Soldier(the class that's good at everything).

Basically the issue with balancing the game which is that Valve will never nerf Soldier and so every other class needs some kind of overpowered thing so that you can go "that's why I would play that class instead of the really easy class that's good at everything and has loads of HP".
The demo is faster than the soldier, can lay traps for area denial and can attack round corners and over obstacles. I think there's a reasonable niche for him without just making the sticky launcher better than rockets.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Which is why 6v6 teams are always just 6 soldiers?

And I'd say area denial and being able to fire on people before you can see them are pretty useful attributes even at the highest level.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Short Circuit is pretty rough if the Engineer manages to set up near a large metal pack eg in the first house on Barn Blitz - that way it can be pretty tough for any individual to take him out. Heavy or pyro ubers are probably the best responses you can pull together on a pub server.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah when I posted it I was thinking about the pushes you can get on more organized servers that revolve around a well-timed sap. Maybe the other team instantly notices and kills the spy, but now their sentry is disabled and a whole bunch of guys are rushing at them.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't find heavies that good on pub games just because so many people go sniper and even really bad snipers can slaughter heavies. Occasionally the stars align and you play against a team with no snipers and just steamroll them, but that's pretty rare. I find it's usually a matter of "turn a game that would be an easy win into a laughably trivial win" rather than a class that actually turns a balanced game into a won one.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Heavies are both very easy to headshot and pitifully bad at long range though. I don't even know who could be a "less difficult player" for a sniper to go after.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

pisshead posted:

Why does the attacking team have to use teamwork to destroy, but it shouldn't take teamwork to defend it?
Because the attacking team has a much shorter respawn time so they will, on average, have a large numerical advantage over the defenders during any given engagement (and if it's not an A/D mode then there's the disadvantage of the engineer being completely and utterly useless offensively). If every defending player could be beaten by one attacking player it would just be a steamroll.

pisshead posted:

The short circuit is a stupid crutch for engies who put their sentries in bad positions. Your fourth example would require three players to take out a single sentry. The medic with the ubercharge, a demo to deplete the SC, and another to actually destroy it.
This seems like a contradiction - if it just mitigates bad play then you should still be able to stomp them as a good player, but you also seem to be suggesting it's overpowered. And you really do not need three players even if we assume the engineer has placed his sentry perfectly because it's possible to uber classes other than demoman and soldier.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Secret advanced technique: switch to a non-explosives class

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

pisshead posted:

Yeah take that sentry down with a shotgun.
I was referring to the guy who saw short circuits shut down "2 ubers and 5 spam classes". If one of those 5 spam classes was instead a pyro uber (seriously how could an SC engineer respond to this) or a heavy they would've broken through instantly.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Assuming the engineer has found a perfect spot (otherwise they can be sniped or corner killed) and that they're perfect at shooting down explosives (otherwise they'll run out of ammo before a demoman) and that they're also perfect at repairing their sentry you need two people to bust an SC: a medic to press M2 and a pyro to press M1. That does not seem like an unreasonable amount of teamwork to me.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 27, 2014

• Locked thread