Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
So my friend cannot play Mann Up MVM. Every single time, he will "crash" early on Wave 2. The game will just minimize on him and refuse to come back, but he still gets audio and is unable to move or anything.

It is very annoying and he's verified his files. Has anybody heard of anything dumb like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Add this to the OP:

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
If the max head fails, the economy fails.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
There's a kangaroo sniper soooooo

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Xander77 posted:

I have about 50 giga (is that what the kids call it these days? Or is it "g"?) free on that drive. Anything else?

Is it the update screen you get when you try to launch the game with the checkbox to have it launch automatically when its complete? Mine was resetting and I just clicked play game and it launched.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Haha I like the TF_Matchmaking_TOBOR at the end

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

oddium posted:

The conclusion we can reach is Badlands is the Best Map. I yearn for cp_badlands_event with just the spooky ghosts and maybe curses. And then imagine, cp_badlands_xmas. This is living

Nobody would play them because when you load koth_badlands everybody just complains that we should play the real badlands instead. Despite it being the best koth map and having a health kit under the point!

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Those mockups are simply inspiring.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Well, I finally broke my killstreak as pyro. Thanks to the phlog on a valve server.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

CoolCab posted:

When you're far enough away from a rocket launcher it stops drawing it as a proper circle, it becomes a simple pentagon. Has it always done that?

Yep, those are known as LODs for Level of Detail. It's done to save processing time on rendering the details of something from a mile away when it's going to be a tiny blob of pixels on your screen.

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Model_optimization explains it nicely and has a bunch about what models do and don't have LODs defined in TF2. As well as this nice demonstration

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
In 2015 launching TF2 will just install Dota.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Magypsy posted:

That and they generally pick worse weapons each year. Personally, I'm holding out for a festive Candy Cane or Holiday Punch this time around.

I hope a festive candy cane is just an ugly lead pipe.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Pyro has the best hats, spy has the worst. This is why spies love to backstab me when I'm a pyro, so they can look as pretty as me~

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Geight posted:

If I have a spray image set in tf2 that I think is there through steam cloud magic, is there any way to get the file back onto my hard drive in a usuable image format? All the files I find where sprays should be kept are vtfs and vtms.

Download VTF Edit and you'll be able to open the vtf and export a png

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Soda Popper and BFB share a boost meter, so try that instead.

It's been mentioned that this was fixed, but wouldn't you just pretty much instantly drain your magic flying powers as every jump after the frist would remove 25% from the BFB's downside if it worked?

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Magypsy posted:

I think that there were files relating to a Team Spy Balaclava and Team Engineer Goggles, so I assume wearing one or the other would contribute towards either team. A team full of Soldiers and Demomen is nothing compared to one full of Spies and Engies, so they probably made those to prevent it.

This is a fun idea and means I can be a true backburner pyro spy

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I unironically miss the Saharan Spy set.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

ninjewtsu posted:

I'm pretty sure defensive playing has always been a core part of the Team Fortress gameplay and not just a random thing that got thrown at the wall. It is Team Fortress after all. In pub play the engineers and medics effectively dictate the entire match. Medics control when pushes happen and engies control where they are forced to happen, and I don't think that aspect of the game is just something that's just stuck around because of grognards.

I want to frame this post because it's the first time in 7 years I have seen the emphasis on Fortress and not Team.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Lobsterpillar posted:

I was playing on a randomizer server today, and they've changed something since last time I played: if you spawn as an engineer and build buildings, those buildings will hang around even when you die and change class.
And we were playing on dustbowl.
The last control point on dustbowl 1 had 4 level 3 sentries, and the other team simply didn't have the loadouts or ubers to kill them. The only one repairing/upgrading the sentries was a demoman with a golden wrench, and there wasn't an actual engineer in sight.

I think that's always been the case, at least on the randomizer I play on. It's supposed to be "balanced" by the fact that you need to luck into a wrench or gunslinger to be able to upgrade stuff.

Randomizer on non-koth/arena doesn't work very well though since you need to luck into being able to do something useful.

QwertySanchez posted:

My fondest memory of randomiser is spawning with the sticky jumper, gloves of running urgently (back when they used to deplete your health rather than just mark you for death) and the gunboats, and finding out that if the health tick killed me it counted as suiciding and made me respawn with the same loadout so I had to stand outside spawn completely still while a scout bobbed and weaved back and forth and kept completely missing me with everything he had until I finally got killed by a sniping engineer.

Oh that and the time I was a spy with the cloak and dagger, a dalokohs bar and direct hit, and I could use the bar while cloaked. I murdered so many people.

One of the most fun runs I had was spawning as a scout with a caber and just kamikazeing into people with it, and cratering from fall damage to suicide and get the same loadout again

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Magypsy posted:

For those of you who like the Demoman to be about demolition and not pirates, knights or demonstrations, there's an excellent new set up on the workshop, and an amazing new stickybomb launcher.

Give me a sticky where launcher detting only blows up the last sticky fired, but any other of your stickies caught in its explosion explode with it letting you get some weird in between of stock and SR.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
If you want to know what's really killing TF2, it's the Valve servers suddenly adding 200 to everybody's ping every night.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Othin posted:

Fixed for myself. Using it against a charging demo makes me feel like a bullfighter, especially when you sidestep his charge and then crit kill him from the side/behind.

Its mile long range makes it my favorite way to kill jumper + gardener soldiers.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Hey remember 2 weeks ago when Valve patched pl_upward

They apparently left that griefing teleporter spot 2 feet away from the changed spawnroom intact.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
No PS1 triangle scout breasts :colbert:

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I'm just using the default since they changed how custom ones worked. I used to use the PC speaker beep from shooting an enemy in ZZT.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Fojar38 posted:

You take 50% less damage from sentry fire while charging a punch.

2007_heavy_punches_sentry_out_of_water_cp_well.gif

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
how many ducks for level 69 thank you

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
If you eat a steak sandwich you can just make the jump as a heavy and then tank rockets with the fists of steel.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

the wildest rear end posted:

Tumblr tried to have a con and failed miserably. There was nothing except an inflatable pool ball pit. That's kinda like this update

Even more like this update, they were told that the Welcome to Nightvale people were going to put on a panel. But then the Welcome to Nightvale people never got paid so they didn't show up. Instead tumblr got "An extra hour in the ball pit"

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Dominating a pyro.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
The best way to kill reserve shooter pyros is with the flare gun :clint:

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Arae posted:

Bannerchat

Also, disguised spies in the radius of your banner do not get glowy bits so it's a silly way to instantly catch a nearby spy.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Vote yes on Phlog.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I see they realized people don't care about the Nice crates. Normally I open every naughty crate I get since it's maybe 5 tops, but I've got more than 20 right now compared to 10 nice.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I'm so loving excited that the loch n load now also has an incorrect number of chambers.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
It fires quick, but you still have to take the time to load it. It's been 1 hour but I think it's pretty garbage.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
My favorite part of super fast grapple hook mode is when you have the intel and have to wait 5 minutes for your team to kill the person with your intel so you can actually cap it. Except they never do, and after several minutes of nothing happening a vampire scout or something gets the drop on you and you die and they cap instead.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Roger Explosion posted:

I keep on getting the "no matching blueprint' message while trying to craft catapults. What gives?

Did you _just_ update? I had to update and then restart before I could craft the new weapons because I kept getting the same error.

Also are the new stranges not marketable or something?

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Fojar38 posted:

Ways to take down a short circuit engineer:

- Team up with other soldiers and demos and send so much poo poo flying his way that he can't stop all of them
- Team up with a non-retard sniper and have him pick off the engineer or ding at the sentry while sending your rockets/grenades at him, he cant deal with your projectiles and heal his sentry
- Team up with a spy and have him sap the sentry while you destroy it
- Team up with a medic and block the sentry with an ubercharge while your teammates destroy it

Oh wait I forgot all of these are about teamwork and the complaints about engineers are all in the context of someone shutting down your pubstomping solo spree

This game is 8 years old and people still think you can't discuss combat in the game without saying something like

PL_UPWARD: Final point. 3 minutes and 37 seconds remain on the clock. The cart is currently just outside the final room of the map. It has 18 sconds before it begins moving backwards.

RED TEAM:
1x Engineer - Shotgun, Wrangler, Jag - Level 3 sentry on top battlements by the crates. Level 3 dispenser next to it. Level 1 entrance outside spawn door. No exit.
1x Engineer - Rescue Ranger, Short Circut, Gunslinger - Dispenser next to other engineer's. Minisenty located by the medium health pack on the final point.
2x Scout - Stock loadouts
1x Medic - Overdose, Kritzkrieg, Ubersaw
1x Sniper - Machinae, Jarate, Bushwacka
1x Demoman - Base Jumper, Sticky Launcher, Caber
1x Demoman - Loch n Load, Tide Turner, Skullcutter
1x Pyro - Degreaser, Reserve Shooter, Powerjack
1x Pyro - Degreaser, Detonator, Axtinguisher
1x Heavy - Minigun, Sandvich, GRU
1x Soldier - Original, Shotgun, Escape Plan

Note: The medic is pocketing the soldier exclusively.

BLUE TEAM:
2x Demoman - Stock + Caber
3x Sniper - Sniper rifle, Razorback, Bushwacka
1x Medic - Crossbow, Medigun, Vita-saw
1x Soldier - Black box, Shotgun, Disciplinary Action
1x Soldier - Rocket Launcher, Concheror, Disciplinary Action
1x Heavy - Minigun, Sandvich, Fists of Steel
1x Spy - Ambassador, Sapper, Knife, Cloak and Dagger
1x Spy - Enforcer, Sapper, Knife, Dead Ringer
1x Scout - Back Scatter, Pistol, Sandman

Now that we know the teams we can discuss what blue should do to push the cart and use this to address any balance issues there may or may not be with the short circuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

IronicDongz posted:

You're correct, it's odd and sorta dumb. It seems like they intended it to be a backup weapon when you're about to be killed, but... a normal shotgun is way better at that because you don't need to take the time to load it. And you won't have the spread penalty. And it's better in all other situations as well

Yeah if you actually panic with it you will have to patiently wait to load it first and just get killed. If it started with 4 shots and just had a super long reload time it could be a lot more viable at least.

• Locked thread