Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

SarutosZero posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on if I should play this game or wildstar? They both look pretty awesome but I only have time for one.

Archeage has issues (client side EVERYTHING) but it's not circling the drain with devs abandoning ship so between a poo poo sandwich and turd soup choose Archeage. You can steal merchant ships for profit, make people rage in chat by blockading farm tractors and name yourself Minti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Deadclown posted:

This game looks horrible but I have decided to download and play it anyway. See you all online soon.

Any good tips you wished you knew before starting?

Do not spend Gilda on your starting character. Rushing to 58-60 Gilda on an alt is extremely easy, so anything around that many Gilda is cheap. Anything beyond that takes a lot of dailies to save up for, so is really expensive. Do your Gilda quests, save them for something really expensive and do a Gilda rush alt if you want something below that price.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

Its really sad because all fishing goons had to do was man up and stop letting themselves get rolled. During the prime of fishing in this guild, we had a ridiculous number of goons out in the ocean. That many people could EASILY defend themselves from a pirate raid unless it was truly massive. Fishing goons just needed to grow a spine. Stop fishing with their off spec. Be ready to fight and react to pirates. Instead they would just sit there and get picked off one by one because they can't handle PvP at all.

Like, the difference between pirating green fishers and red fishers is jarring. When we went after red fishers today, they didn't panic and die instantly. We missed several marks because they responded intelligently. They didn't sit in the water waiting to die like greens would. If our guild had learned how to fish like they do, we would of been fine. Instead tons of people went berserk over their easy money train requiring a little more effort now.

I guess the few goon fishers we do have left genuinely are pretty hosed since we no longer have the numbers to fish effectively, but that's not my fault. Blame all the kind goons that decided to bail on the guild and take all their supplies with them. I really wouldn't be surprised if we don't have a single fishing boat now.

You know none of this has anything to do with why they left, right?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It's entirely possible I've been unknowingly lucky with the groups of goons I've played with in the past, but this is my experience so far in this guild. One thing that means is you cannot tell me it's wrong because it is exactly that, my experience. In no way am I here trying to tell anyone else they are wrong. Feel free to disagree and put forth what your experience is in a constructive manner but it will be just that; your experience, not mine.

There is a truly surprising amount of people in the guild that are entirely wrapped up in wanting to be the first and best to whip out 'LUL U MAD BRO, SO MAD, SO SALTY, I'M PUPPET MASTERING YOU, I LOVE WATCHING DRAMA IT'S FUNNY'. I have never seen a goon guild with so many people so dedicated to trying to piss off other goons. As in, that is their sole and frequently stated desire. It's really bizarre. Every other goon guild I've been in, speaking in large terms with a very broad brush, generally attempts to avoid goon-loving with the goal being pubbie-loving and collective fun of goons. This one has been a near-constant stream of the aforementioned types of comments and people hashing out personal vendettas as loudly and constantly as possible.

When people feel that that is the kind of environment that exists they are only going to tolerate it for so long then they'll leave, possibly after trying to change it, possibly not. If you think that's a bad thing, great. If you think that's a good thing, also great. It's basically an irrelevant point either way because I'm attempting to get people to understand the motives of others, not attack them. Put aside the strange desire this game seems to have spawned in goons to want to attack other goons and just attempt to understand what motivates people.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Bait and Swatch posted:

Anyone have any tips/tools the can recommend for troubleshooting my latency problems with this game? It usually stays at around 53ms, but I've been getting 200ms spikes that have started occurring about every 10 packets. Running a tracert is showing me nothing worthwhile, and I want to be able to tell my ISP where the problem is.

This game is absolutely terrible at dealing with dropped packets. If you are having any network issues to begin with ArcheAge is just going to amplify them beyond reason and poo poo all over itself constantly. Most competently programmed stuff can tolerate those scenarios so they may have been around awhile and just never triggered a poo poo storm before.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

i am tim! posted:

A: Jacking a bunch of materials you were holding for your organization, that your organization had collected, when you decided you didn't like being in the organization anymore. (Admittedly, I wouldn't want to be in the organization anymore.)
B: A guy in a leadership position not leading people in the video game for a week.

Would you have a different opinion if the people that left were also that ones that earned the stuff that had been collected?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Charles Bukowski posted:

Balistafreak, Sulley, anyone with VaIor guild tag.

Be sure you find someone with the Vaior tag, not Valor. Valor are a group of pubbies that seem to be recruiting a lot of random assholes lately that are causing trouble wherever they go like knocking people off their carts or "accidentally" plowing into fishing raids with their clippers. Vaior is goons having fun.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

atlas of bugs posted:

worth noting that this is exactly the stuff that goons do to "have fun" in archeage

maybe we're not so different after all...

I suspect you may not be getting the joke. Goons are in Vaior. Valor is not. Vaior and Valor look drat near identical with the font in game. People are remarking that Valor has 'recruited' a lot of assholes lately because people wearing their guild tag are suddenly doing all kinds of Goony poo poo lately.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
While it hosed up many, MANY things, Wildstar housing was pretty drat awesome.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Only cost to try it out is bandwidth and dignity. Just think long and hard before you pay for anything. Then realize if you play right you can get it all with in game gold so don't pay for anything.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Angry Fish posted:

What are the ways to "level?"

Are there macros available to simplify things?

How is the battle system? How is griefing/reaving/murder handled by Trion? Can I kill someone on the first day/first few days of gameplay?
Macros are not officially allowed but use of AutoIt is expressly and specifically permitted by their (laughable) hack detection as it does have legitimate uses for handicapped people. Get creative, don't get obvious.

If you're not using exploits or bugs to grief/reav/murder it's fair game. Have at it and bathe in the tears of stupid people.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I feel bad for Wtfmoses, two really good forums ruined by horrible games. Guy is gonna develop a complex or something.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

InternetJunky posted:

If we don't have anyone who is still looking to place their first farm I'd love the lilyut property please. My larder empire needs to grow! I'm Blackbird in game.

Speaking of larders, when I first tried them out they seemed like such a monumental waste of time and money, but now that the price of other stuff has gone bonkers these are actually an incredible source of money and are far easier than farming the land. I'm still laughing at the people making aged salve larders though.

I have my farming farms and my day-long crops plus larders farms. Sitting in my two crowns farms harvesting whatever is growing looking at the guy making two crowns aged salve and wondering if you could get a more terrible larder. Maybe marianople salve?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Trion doesn't exactly strike me as an organization that has a crackerjack database team. "Whoops we hosed up, servers are gone for three days". They have a poor grasp of timing as well apparently. Outside of that accidental gently caress-up I don't think they have ever done any sort of server work that wasn't in the middle of the day.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The thunderstruck-pocalypse gutted the "As much land as you can possibly get and plant nothing but trees everywhere" approach to money making, shortly after which people started dumping land left, right and center since one thunderstruck couldn't fund every last tax cert for everything they owned for a month. Land started going up for sale and there was actual market valuation, not just 'ahahahaha gently caress you no I want it all and more'. They still have the same kind of lovely land claiming system that loving Ultima Online came out with in the '90s so packet injectors with low ping have ruled that market, but land could at least be purchased from them since you'd never actually manage to get collapsing land. A 16x16 in non-prime positions, even in peaceful zones, goes for a few hundred gold.

This patch is supposedly adding a 5 second cool down for land placement attempts. Presumably to counter packet injecting spam scripts but if the past is any indication it will somehow manage to be client side with no server checks or logging then there will be a hack out for it in about negative two days and nothing will improve. If you somehow have a sense of optimism that hasn't been beaten out of you yet, you could give it a week or two and maybe the entire land-grabbing system will be unfucked allowing an actual market to set the prices instead of hackers and script kiddies just looking to flip plots for profit.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Pretty dumb. Your stat requirements will be all over the place and song craft is kind of a bitch to integrate with anything else unless you use the passive mostly. Song craft 'performances' will break if you do almost anything else.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Aaaaaand Aranzeb just poo poo the bed. In 'Maintenance'.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Three hour down time starting at 5 PM eastern on a Friday to fix the Flirtatious Flower exploit.

I have nothing more to say, it says itself.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
This is the kind of thing that makes me sad VaLor fell apart before we could besmirch their good name.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I have to do some number crunching but it may soon get to where it's cheaper to APEX another account and let the labor accumulate then make tax certs.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Ah Archeage, you really are a piece of poo poo. A 5-second cooldown for clicking to place houses on collapsing property is their answer to people using packet sniffers to detect the 'house has collapsed' packet and reply to it at software-speeds with the 'I'm placing my land' packet. Legit players never even see the structure disappear because someone with better ping and a packet sniffing script has claimed it before it even displays on their screen, but now you can't even get lucky by spamming the button because you get one chance every five seconds.

tl;dr Legit players have absolutely no chance in hell of getting land anymore, ever, while hackers have even less competition.

edit: There's even rumors that the 5-second delay is completely client-side without even basic trust-but-verify checks in place so that the delay wouldn't exist at all for someone hacking, guaranteeing they can get land with their only competition being other hackers. Given past performance, I can honestly see that being real with all the other client-side poo poo this game has.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 24, 2014

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What tax cost? Again taxes are something that only applies to legit players, land hackers don't have to pay them. They snipe the land then have two weeks to sell it without paying taxes. Deposit is the only cost, and that gets returned. Even 500 gold for a plot of land is amazing returns on the time spent, a few minutes, and labor is, again, something that only applies to legit players not the hackers. They never build the deeds they snipe with.

Almost every game mechanic rewards you for hacking and punishes you for not doing so. See also:the clusterfuck that is Hackshield.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If you get 50k in the processing skills like stonemason and the like you can do mass production which does ten logs, lumber, leather etc at one shot. Takes 50k though. I usually just get a ton of logs or stone, hit 999 on the max craft then do morning stuff like shower, shave and the like. The crafting process will keep you from going AFK.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'd like to reform Vaior into The Cuit of Shadows now that there is a good target for goon fuckery. We can let the shenanigans flow and reap tears in faction chat. Steal fishing boats, kill people, bring back the CDC ebola blockades and scream "Cult of Shadows #1!" everywhere until they're all hated for our actions. Will probably try to do it later tonight. Just need three alts to start the guild then everyone will have invite powers to pull people over.

edit: to the guy asking above this is on Aranzeb. Think we're the largest goon guild?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What's your in game name? Been looking for a place to put down a gazebo, might go for that.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Welp, I should only have one thread open at a time. Ignore me more than usual.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 17, 2015

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Yeah don't touch this game. There's a few diamonds in the rough as far as gaming mechanics go but the publisher stopped giving half a flying rat's gently caress about the game years ago and Trion took a massive, steaming, Taco Bell-poo poo on what was left to suck as much cash out as quickly as possible.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Angela Christine posted:

But doesn't stop you from planting trees on the bottom of the world. GotY!

Hit points and which of any buffs in the game are applied is handled client side. No amount of invasive anticheat can get past that kind of bullshit-retarded failure of security 101 level concepts.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Should find a way to forward it to this thread, something to get him on a crusade against SA. I think Leonard J. Crabs has gotten bored.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Eonwe posted:

Basically if they had made housing reasonable to get for people not like me who didn't spam login and rush gildas, hadn't done quite as much RNG box poo poo, and just straight up hadn't mad bad decision after bad decision this could have been a perfectly serviceable game

...and then the housing plot is lost to a hacker. I mean, this is the group of developers that saw people using hacked clients to detect the house disappearing and packet injection to send the "I claim this land" packet before a human is even physically capable of recognizing the housing is gone and responded to it by putting in a 5 second claiming cooldown to prevent people from spamming the claim button.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Dirk the Average posted:

What was the exploit?

Yeah, really. Don't be a cock tease, we're here to laugh at more programming incompetence. Besides putting the hit points and buffs verification on the client I mean.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If you ever want to compete in PvP your choices are; "don't" or "put enough for car payments on a credit card".

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Wasn't jwilson a random spawning slime in Ultima Online? Swear I remember that, but from that far back it may well be dementia.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ruffz posted:

When I started losing plots of land to people that would drop a structure before the box ever appeared for me to drop mine, that's when I knew this game was utter trash. Despite that, I poopsocked the poo poo out of the first day and was able to get 5 plots, then later one in Auroria. The Farmville part of the game was pretty enjoyable until the Thunderstruck nerf.

Gonna take the opposite stance on thunderstrucks. Whether it was a brilliant maneuver or blatant cash grab I leave up to personal interpretation, but making GBS threads thunderstrucks on the market and finally letting the proles see any part of.the game that was gated behind them was one of the best things they did for the markets.

Client side everything made sure the game was poo poo from the ground up though.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ruffz posted:

I personally hated that move and saw it as nothing but a cash grab, and they flipped the switch on it when the game started to decline. The hacking wasn't affecting me enough to make me quit at that point, but the thunderstruck nerf was another nail in the coffin in my opinion. I was planting like 60 trees at a time trying to win the lottery (I won twice) and I suddenly had no idea what to do with all my land when you could basically buy them from the cash shop. That's when I really started getting bored and lost my will to log in.

While not specifically the you-not-logging-in part, this was still another great benefit in my mind. Before the TS nerf if someone used client side hacking to get land (all land was from client side hacking let's be real) they didn't bother advertising a price. It was an absolutely foregone conclusion that the land was going to sell. Every thunderstruck lottery playing land baron wanted more land at all times and the tax system was dumb as gently caress so there was more profit from more land at all times. By the end of the week with the TS nerf those same land hackers were competing on price and location with their land. Through incompetent shortsighted greed they had managed to do one good thing for the economy.

Every other step they took managed to gently caress something up, but credit where due.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

TokenTrevor posted:

Well that loving sucks. Goons are the most fun when we can gather together and troll the gently caress out of pubbies. Oh well I have a friend with 1k gold so maybe I'll start a goon refuge on kyrios west. Looking to go pirate at some point if that's even still a thing.:rms:

No really this is a terrible game and you're a terrible person if you play it. Do you not read threads?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Real Nito posted:

I kinda miss working my small little farm, trying to fiddle as many plants into it as possible.
Then making a trade pack, hop on my boat. Sailing for 5-10minutes only to be ganked right before the dock.
Those were the times.

I made an auto-it script that would plant them most efficiently by number of pixels per plant type.then another that mashed the harvest button over and over while walking the length and width of the plot. Made pretty good money auto-farming stuff to either auction off or turn into potions. Think hat project turned out to be more fun than the game itself. I didn't get constantly told "gently caress off, unless you spend hundreds of dollars to buy the bottom tier of acceptable gear you're poo poo and will stay poo poo, and even then the guys that spent thousands will poo poo on you"

Really did enjoy the tears when thunder struck trees became available to the masses. So many butt hurt archeage 1%-ers raged about not being special snowflakes anymore. Was great.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So how exactly is this going to work, "merge and lose everything to play with people, or stay in your ghost town to keep it all"?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Hack shield never stopped anyone from multi-clienting anyway, just made you jump through some hoops to do it. Hoops that take about three seconds to google and maybe half an hour to set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
In theory fixing stuff like that makes players enjoy the game and stick around longer than they would have to make them more money. This is one level of abstraction too far for a KMMO dev team to comprehend so they've chucked alp that poo poo out the window and now pay to win MMOs are the order of the day.

• Locked thread