Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm convinced that Bo's ghost is haunting the school. His memory is probably the worst thing that could happen to Michigan. They've spent so many years fetishizing him that they've been stuck in 1994 for the last 20 years. Even Bama moved past Bear, so why can't the Michigan institutional organization get over Bo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Deteriorata posted:

If you notice, most of the time when people invoke Bo, they're not describing Bo, his team, or his way of doing things. They're actually describing Lloyd Carr and calling him Bo, and the problem lies there and not with Bo himself.

I agree. The imperfect memory of Saint Bo or something has warped peoples' minds and perception. The reality of Bo as the man and coach, and "Bo" the symbol are two distinct things. By allowing the ghost of Bo to haunt the decisions, the people at and around Michigan have done themselves a great disservice.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Deteriorata posted:

Angelique Chengelis at the Detroit News is reporting that James Hackett, who played for Bo and was CEO at Steelcase, will be interim AD. Probably doesn't matter much as he won't be there for long.

They even name dropped Bo during the presser.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

wtftastic posted:

I can't think of anything shittier and more annoying to listen to during a sporting event.

Well, maybe you guys can finally get a vuvuzela corps or something.

Organ music rules for hockey and baseball. Cheapass owners keep firing organ players because they're idiots. gently caress you, Mike Illitch. Music clips being played DURING an NBA game is the worst sporting music.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

MourningView posted:

He literally said "new year's bowl" you doofus. I think it's silly to treat them all the same (although ISU fans getting pissy about it even though the Outback Bowl is in fact a bigger deal than, like, the Independence Bowl are equally silly), but that's how he decided to group them.

And you bring this up way more often than I have ever seen any Big Ten fan actually brag about it, so I'm not sure who the one with the complex is here.

Remember when all the best bowls were on New Years? Oh wait, they still are. The Rose Bowl is the only bowl that matters. :getin:

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I'm not sure why this entire thread isn't in the coaching thread.

If this were UAB, it would probably fit in the coaching thread. It's kind of a big deal to watch Michigan go from "consistently good" to "a baby could do a better job" in a period of like 3 years.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Tennessee did it. Nebraska did it. Notre Dame did it. With any luck, Florida is doing it. USC almost pulled it off. Colorado's situation might have been worth its own thread.

When Notre Dame went into free-fall it was big news too. I would love to read a thread making GBS threads on Charlie Weiss. If there wasn't one, you guys missed out. Either way, threads devoted to large stories of interest is a good thing. Megathreads can become unwieldy.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
I could see how Harbaugh might like the idea of going back to Ann Arbor. He strikes me as the kind of guy who would like being in control of everything- even the players' lives- which is something you don't get in the NFL. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but I'm saying I'd get it if it did.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
I don't get why you guys all have your panties in a twist and are mad at AsInHowe. The most reasonable and logical course is Jim Harbaugh for all parties involved. Saying that he's the most likely candidate is like saying Hillary Clinton will get the Democratic nomination for president in 2016. We don't know for sure, but all signs point to that happening.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Hey Les you want to leave your job in the best conference in football in front of rabid, passionate fans so you can come coach a program in complete disarray in front of fans who treat games like funerals?

Les, why are you laughing Les. Please stop laughing.

LSU is one of like one of the 10 HC gigs in CFB where going to Michigan wouldn't be a step up in terms of prestige. IDK why anyone would think a coach in good standing at one of those jobs would leave for Michigan...

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Like, it seems like we have to do this everytime one of these old white person schools has a job opening, but seriously. This is as dumb as when Witz said loving Bob Stoops was the next head coach of the Notre Dame Fightin' Irish, book it.

All this talk about coaches switching teams got me thinking, what would I consider the be the top HC gigs in the NCAA?

If I had to guess based not only on how good the team is/has been historically, but also things like institutional and fan support, ability to build a legacy, stuff like that, my list would look something like this:

Tier 1-A
---------------
Michigan
Ohio St.
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Alabama
Texas
LSU
USC

Tier 1-B
-----------
Penn St.
Wisconsin
Nebraska
TAMU
Oregon
Auburn
Tennessee
Florida
UGA
Florida St

Obviously there is some flux, with schools like Penn St. trending down because of the whole child abuse thing, or Oregon trending up over the past decade or so due to rich Uncle Phil, but overall I'd have to guess that these are the king poo poo jobs in CFB that all the GAs and position coaches dream about when they go to sleep at night. Off the top of my head Saban is the only person I can think of that has gone from HC of one 1-A to another 1-A, and that was with a break in between. Meyer was the most recent 1-B to 1-A that I can think of, but overall I'm not really thinking of a lot of guys moving around in this pool.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Michigan is deffo not Tier 1 atm, and I would absolutely not put Nebraska and Wisconsin in that same pool of jobs. Hell, Penn State isn't a GREAT job.

At this exact moment, Michigan isn't competing for a national title. That doesn't mean it can't. That doesn't mean that a good coach there wont make millions over the next decade or two and retire a college football god. Don't confuse how good the team is right now for how powerful the allure of the job is. Michigan is a traditionally top flight team with a 100 years of history, tons of national interest, and more money than most anyone in the FBS. Wisconsin and Nebraska are both huge schools with loyal fan bases in the historically biggest and richest conference. A good coach leading the Huskers or Badgers to sustained national prominence would become mythological. I think that, more than just "who's good right now", is what is important. If that were the case then Boise would have been a top gig a few years ago, but realistically it wasn't.

I also don't believe 49ers are automatically a better gig for Harbaugh than Michigan just because it's in the pros. Ask Saban if the Dolphins were a better gig than Alabama, or Rick Pitino if the Celtics was a better job than Louisville and Kentucky. "Better" is a relative term.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Alouicious posted:

Just because Purdue isn't competing for the national title right NOW, doesn't mean it won't be

If you had to put money on it, would you bet that the University of Michigan football team would remain poor over the next two decades, or would you think they are likely to return to glory? I'd say you'd have to be pretty dumb to think that a blue blood program like Michigan (or Texas, Notre Dame, and USC) won't at some point in the future be good again.

Adun posted:

Maybe if Saban and Pitino weren't incredibly mediocre pro coaches they would think that it's "better"

Maybe if Saban had inherited a better team than one that started Cleo loving Lemon his story at the Dolphins would end different. Who knows? But the fact remains that college and pro are two very different worlds, and people are allowed to like one over the other. There's nothing wrong with that. Jimmy Johnson has said he liked coaching Miami more than Dallas, and he was successful at both levels so it's not that unrealistic to say that to some a college job is "better".

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Thoguh posted:

Being an rear end in a top hat is a key job requirement of being a D-1 coach in anything.

Which works out well for Michigan's 100% for certain new coach, because Jim Harbaugh is the King of the Assholes.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
I don't think Lochmann's sentiment was off base, but holy crap learn to pick your words.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Dattserberg posted:

I think describing your relationship with athletes as "fleeting four year relationships" is something you want to impress on prospective student-athletes. What a pompous prick.

e: it's also pretty conflicting with the way Brandon ran the whole Tom Harmon patch program.

If he had something like, "Michigan football is bigger than just one person. We're proud of all our people, past, present, and future. Our goal is to build a program that withstands the test of time. One that former players can look at with pride, and future players can look at with excitement," he would have been golden. The stuff about the M being infinite is just kinda ehhhh.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Mykkel posted:

He's up to 300 million now. NFL stadiums receiving public financing outside of Green Bay, is incredibly shady.

I am shocked a real estate developer from South Florida would ever do anything shady!

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Linguica posted:

I can just see Harbaugh and his crew rolling into a Q-Zar on a Saturday night

bringing his own mix CD asking them to play it during the match

shuffling around in a hunched over pose to block the IR sensors on his vest

hapless child huddled crying in the corner and Harbaugh just presses the gun barrel against the kids vest and stands there holding down the trigger

I bet "Kiss From A Rose" is in that mix.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
My favorite part about this thread is how people are getting mad when it is a claimed certainty a man is leaving one high paying, prestigious position for another. I don't see this much outrage from anyone when unproven felony accusations are branded as 100%, gospel truths.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
LOL you do realize that a lot of times, legitimate reporters do know stuff but can't or won't report it for a variety of reasons. Bloggers and bullshit like that aren't bound by the same codes of conduct that the NYT people follow.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Please tell the practicing journalist how journalism works. :allears:

Sorry, I don't really keep tabs on you or your life so I don't know what you do for a living. But if you really are a journalist, then I shouldn't have to explain this to you and you shouldn't be getting pissy about unconfirmed sources and hearsay only showing up on blogs or whatever. You're weirdly invested in Harbaugh not coming to Michigan and it's kinda funny to watch you flail around like Yosemite Sam as each new person comes out and says stuff.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Gonz posted:

Randy Orton to be the head coach, instead. SWERVE.

Ohio State is about to enter the Big House. Suddenly the sound of glass shattering is heard over the PA.

"Bah God, that's Stone Cold's music!"

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

He probably cracked an egg and wiped yolk on his face while howling like a madman.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

disheveled posted:

That's how I see it too. Have any of his Stanford players ever publicly ripped on him? I get the impression that people think he's nuts, but nuts in a way that's good for developing college kids and building a winning program.

One of the reasons he's probably better for college is that he gets basically a whole new crop of kids every 4 years, so they are less likely to get tired of his poo poo and revolt. That, and the kids aren't 30 year old millionaires who have the option of telling Jim to go gently caress himself if he pisses them off.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Alouicious posted:

i hope nike goes all out in their redesign :getin:

Lol people almost lost their poo poo when the fab five wore longer shorts. Can you imagine what would happen if the football team pulled an Oregon?

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
This has been "in the works" since Rich Rod got fired. The seeds were planted way back then. Harbaugh to Michigan was a topic of discussion five years ago.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

LeeMajors posted:

Bama (at the moment)

Phyllis from Mulga told me the game has passed Saban by

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Komet posted:

They really are going to have to recalibrate the Big Ten divisions within two years. By 2016, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, and Ohio State are going to be head, shoulders, and torso better than the best team in the West.

Minnesota is trending up, and Wisconsin and Nebraska will not lie dormant forever. They have way too much history, money, and interest to be doormats for an extended period. Once upon a time, the SEC East produced a few national champs. Now it's the West that's kicking rear end. These things go in cycles.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Real Name Grover posted:

A lot of money in college football. Huge take there, Mitch

Mitch Albom should get squished by a giant steam roller.

EDIT: Maybe Harbaugh can buy a solid gold one with all his money.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

MourningView posted:

MGoBrian wrote a big dumb deal about how people shouldn't get mad at Frank Clark for punching a lady because everyone has bad moments (citing the time he punched a college kid during a rec soccer game), and also recently facebook stalked and threatened to ruin the life of some 19 or 20 year old business student who suggested they come up with a new modern fight song to supplement Hail to the Victors (he tried to play the latter off as a joke after people called him out for being creepy, but not before posting the kids name and picture all over his website and twitter)

That's really dishonest of you. He wrote that people should pity Frank Clark for doing a bad thing and loving up his life. That's a completely reasonable thing to say.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

MourningView posted:

Committing domestic violence isn't some minor college kid mistake mistake, and he was angry that people's (completely justified) first instict was to express scorn at what is indisputably a henious act rather than to feel pity for the person who committed it.

e: and I mean if you want to feel bad that the guy messed his life up, that's totally fine. Write about that. But don't do it in a way that comes off as lecturing everyone whose first instinct was disgust, because that is a natural reaction to someone doing what Clark was alleged to have done.

That's not at all the point of what he wrote. What Brian was commenting on was the slactivist outrage that has accompanied so many issues without any context. This sort of moral McCarthyism serves no purpose except to destroy in order to satiate the mob's sense of "justice". No problems were solved, no improvements were made. Instead, a guy had his entire future dissolve because of one brief moment. That's very sad, especially given his background. Posturing for the sake of PR, clickbait, or a sense of outrage and superiority doesn't make the situation any better. Most people hooting for his damnation have already forgotten about him. Frank Clark has to live with this the rest of his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Why do people always do this "one brief moment" poo poo.

Like the terribleness of something is somehow correlated with the time it took to do it.

Because he didn't go on a rampage for three years? It was literally one brief moment that upended years of work and sabotaged an entire lifetime. That doesn't make a bad thing ok, it just means that the bad thing happened in a short period of time.

• Locked thread