Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Flash doesn't have controller support, joy2key was an actual suggestion not smug elitism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
So what exactly can a 2D game look like if the art style can't look pixelated but it also can't look smooth like a flash game

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sorry, now your game is pretentious, try again

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I've seen Super Meat Boy get criticized as both looking like a flash game and being a pixel art platformer, so

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Absolutely go into there to see the game in motion. It looks good in still images, but it looks fantastic moving.

Here's an older teaser of a new item and some of its combinations, from the blog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW4CiNmfgL4

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

It looks better than the original by virtue of better tech running under the hood, but I still don't like the artstyle.

The two things are somewhat divorced from one another.

If you liked the original and think the new art is better I don't understand how you don't like the new art.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Does getting the Dead Cat remove all the soul hearts you currently have?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

omeg posted:

Goddamn this game makes my eyes tired a lot faster than the original. gently caress the womb's hazy overlay and curse of darkness. Also it seems there is pretty much no music variation, the basement track is good but caves and beyond... meh. At least Mom's Heart is dead now.
The music actually changes up depending on your health and how many enemies are in the room, I found it pretty neat. I'm digging the music as a whole, too.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

chippy posted:

OK, so I've just noticed that it quite definitely says

on the Steam store page. So is it meant to have this? Because it certainly doesn't on my system.

Are you using a controller or something else that's an analog input device? You obviously can't get analog input off of a standard keyboard.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

chippy posted:

I'm using a 360 pad. Should it have analogue movement then?

Are you using the analog stick?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm really amused at how angry people are getting at not being told absolutely everything about a game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Turtlicious posted:

Oh man, there are levels after you kill mom's foot.

There are many levels after that. Killing Mom the first time is the tip of the iceberg.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Note that also the game has had as much as 65k concurrent players so what you might be seeing as "lots of people having these issues" is more likely just "a handful of really vocal people having the issue."

e: oh, does it even list a dedicated graphics card as a minimum requirement? well, there goes your argument for "I wasn't warned before release!!"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

If nobody clicked on this link, apparently dying in the sacrifice room while holding the missing poster or mysterious page items gives you a puzzle piece icon at the death screen, and collecting all the puzzle pieces together might lead to something big (possibly unlocking the lost?). Anyone interested should really head over there and contribute to solving!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It appears to be Maggy dying to regular Satan with items as to be determined.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Update: looks like there are multiple death screens involved. In addition to Maggy we also have one with Judas.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It's probably worth dropping the spoiler tags, yeah.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Where is that info even coming from?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Looks like this is how you figure out which puzzle piece corresponds to which puzzle:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Generally with big puzzles like this people work together socially to try to solve them. No, one single person wasn't meant to do every part of the puzzle themselves and you're right that it'd be stupid to assume so -- and that's why it's dumb that someone hacked the game to do it themselves instead of people working together socially and naturally.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

GeneX posted:

I mean, people were figuring it out collectively, and we kept learning new things about the death screens and would probably have figured this out fairly quickly. It's a bit of a shame to have lost that communal discovery aspect of things: the last time that sort of thing happened that I remember, it was Pokemon X and Y being leaked gradually.

I'm glad that I can now get the drat character, but it's still a bit of a shame that people's excitement came to a bit of a halt, you know?

It still happens with ARGs and other games with hidden secrets -- people working out the stuff in Fez when it was launched was super fun in a similar way, too.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

GeneX posted:

Well yeah, but I've never actually been involved in one of these group discovery things since X and Y, so it's sort of my go to example.

No problem, just telling you what to keep an eye out for if you're interested in it all. I wouldn't be surprised if The Witness has hidden secrets if you want to look forward to another game that might get the whole social puzzle solving deal going

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

So It Goes posted:

Who gives a poo poo about the "social" aspect of solving the puzzle? Like, were you guys actually collecting these puzzle pieces and putting them together? I'm sure it was mostly the same <10 people who would have done all the work of doing that. Either way you, individually, are just going to end up following what crazy nerds discovered, who cares if they found random items for random puzzle pieces or hacked, it's not like you did anything either way.

Goon doesn't see the appeal of working with other people socially, news at 11

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Rocketlex posted:

Yeah, I'm probably being a dick about this. I just kinda bristle when "It's supposed to be figured out by the community." gets thrown around. It's fine here I guess, I just don't like that design mindset in general.

There's a big difference between basic gameplay features being meant to be solved by the community (Minecraft) and actual hidden secret(s) in the game meant to take a long while to discover (this, halo skulls, the hadouken in megaman, ARGs as a whole, etc).

It's weird, usually when people talk about stuff like this there isn't so much hostility about secrets in video games. I don't get it!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I wouldn't be surprised if you need to have the missing poster/mysterious page unlocked. Do you?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

VDay posted:

Is the mysterious page the Mysterious Paper in the game? I have that and the poster, is the page another item?

Sorry, yes I meant 'paper.'

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Toxxupation posted:

So what does The Lost...like, do

It's the hardest character to beat the game with, as you die in one hit. Items that boost HP and soul/eternal/dark hearts don't do anything. Beating all the things in the game with the lost on hard is the hardest thing to do in the game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

shodanjr_gr posted:

So how do we get polaroid section unlocks? I was under the impression that I just had to get mom-heart kills with any character but it doesn't seem to be the case?

You have to defeat a certain boss after mom's heart.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Does anyone have that list of requirements for the regular secret room? I know things have changed since the original.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Alkydere posted:

Normal secret room: same as before (adjacent to at least 2 normal rooms, the more the better chance, cannot be adjacent to boss rooms) only you have to be able to access all adjacent sides without bombs or flying. If there's a pit cutting off access to that wall, or a bunch of rocks, it's there.

Super-Secret: Same as before, adjacent to only one normal room. Cannot be adjacent to special rooms (shop, item, boss, cursed, sacrifice, etc.)

Does a fire count as cutting off access? I'd doubt it, but I'd want to know. Also, can the secret room not be adjacent to the super secret room anymore?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The original game had expansions, I can't see why this wouldn't.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Why do you keep posting all that in here?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Davincie posted:

i had the worst run of my life today. doing the dead cat lost glitch, first i had to restart at least 100 times (i started tracking after a while) without finding a cat. when i finally find one i do not get a single damage item the whole run. i also get only a single key, which i promptly lose to one of those key blocks that was right next to the door, before sheol. during sheol 12 keys drop, and after that 3 key doubling cards and i ended up with 56 keys and nothing to use them on. the whole run took me 1 long, painful hour. next time i try boss rush and the chest...

Didn't that glitch get patched?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Should I focus on getting the negative done before I start trying cathedral runs? I'm already two pieces down on the negative and none on the cathedral.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

TheModernAmerican posted:

Maybe don't look away from the game when a problem that has happened to you multiple times in the past is about to happen again? You have to be aware of the game to play this game. This would be like me complaining about that one room in the depths where there is a spike one block away from the top and bottom door that single handedly killed a run of mine. It was entirely my fault, I'm not going to bitch about it and demand Nicalis add something that makes spikes not hurt you the first few seconds you're in a room.

There's absolutely no reason to die on the hill of 'make items spawn slightly later' and it's weird that you're so vehemently against it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

TheModernAmerican posted:

That's not what we're talking about though. I am specifically talking about being forced to pick up the negative/polaroid after the mom fight.

Returning to the game standing on top of an item is really bad. Standing on top of an item you know is about to spawn and have ample time to move away from as the boss is dying is your fault.

That's also what the people you're arguing against - including the person you quoted - are talking about.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ariong posted:

I'm curious as to which change did it for you. It doesn't seem that bad to me, but then again I never got Dark Bum that much.

I think people are mostly upset that they can't mod the game to be much easier anymore and still get achievements

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Protip: Go to documents/my games/binding of isaac rebirth/options.ini and set "max scale" from 99 down to 3 or 2. That lets you limit how far the game's graphics scale up to like so:

That's with a limit of 2. If you're in a small room the UI doesn't overlap the floor anymore and if you're in a large room you can see much more than you could before. Enjoy!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
apparently that guy did the programming but none of the actual game design because all the changes in those videos he's posted look incredibly unfun

I uninstalled vanilla when rebirth came out and I'm definitely not reinstalling for that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I like both sets of music and would enjoy a mod that puts both soundtracks together. I feel that the really good tracks of the new OST are all in the super late game areas, though, which means it doesn't set as immediate of a good impression that the old OST did.