Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DrManiac posted:

I'm super psyched about the psn thing. The origanal binding of issac was one of those games I though was pretty good but wasn't the type of game I wanted to get super into playing on the pc. With a brand new version coming on the vita it can be the new splunky for me.

I wish Vita actually had games so I could justify a purchase of one. BoI seems like a really good game to play on a Vita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

chippy posted:

asperger's

Is it somehow unreasonable to uninstall a game you are never playing again?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It feels nice to get to Sheol and kill Satan on your first run after killing Mom.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm pretty bummed out that it doesn't seem possible to transfer saves between my mac and PC. The save files are the same between versions but if I launch the game on my mac it just overwrites the transferred ones and doesn't have any of the old save data.

EDIT: Apparently this game is supposed to have steam cloud support but launching this game on my mac also cleared the save files on my PC. loving great.

Even manually putting my normal save files back doesn't work since for some reason it wants to load the ones from the steam cloud. Even disabling steam cloud/going offline from steam doesn't work. Why would the steam cloud saves take priority over my local ones without any input?

"Loading PersistentGameData from Steam Cloud: persistentgamedata1.dat.
Loading PersistentGameData from disk: C:\Users\Omena/Documents/My Games/Binding of Isaac Rebirth/persistentgamedata1.dat.
local revision: 1. steamcloud revision: 1, using steamcloud save file.
[warn] File C:\Users\Omena/Documents/My Games/Binding of Isaac Rebirth/gamestate1.dat: Checksum invalid!
Loading PersistentGameData from Steam Cloud: persistentgamedata2.dat.
Loading PersistentGameData from disk: C:\Users\Omena/Documents/My Games/Binding of Isaac Rebirth/persistentgamedata2.dat.
local revision: 1. steamcloud revision: 1, using steamcloud save file.
Loading PersistentGameData from Steam Cloud: persistentgamedata3.dat.
Loading PersistentGameData from disk: C:\Users\Omena/Documents/My Games/Binding of Isaac Rebirth/persistentgamedata3.dat.
local revision: 1. steamcloud revision: 1, using steamcloud save file."

Andrast fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 7, 2014

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Novasol posted:

I got hit with the save deletion bug yesterday, and had a friend send me a save file. Initially I had the same problem as you, but I figured out that it isn't actually loading the save file from the location stated in that file. Go to whichever harddrive has steam installed (if it's different than where Isaac is) and run a search for persistentgamedata1.dat. For me, this was located in I:\Steam\userdata\41318113\250900\remote (despite Isaac being installed on D: and the save files supposedly being stored on C:) and THOSE were what I had to rewrite on the PC version for it to register.

This worked. Thanks a lot!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

My game install is glitched to hell because there's no loving way the RNG legitimately gave me lard in the basement 1 item room for thirteen runs in a row.

Holy poo poo.

Maybe the game is trying to tell you something, fatty.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tollymain posted:

anybody know any good roguelites other than binding of isaac, risk of rain, spelunky, or nuclear throne?

i really want a dark souls-y roguelite now, thanks meat miracle t:mad:

Rogue Legacy.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I also just had my first clear of the Dark room but with a triple shot Brimstone. I don't even know what the Lamb actually does because it died so fast.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Giving me a double adversary as a boss fight in depths I in the the Solar system challenge is a pretty big dick move game.

Ghost Head posted:

If you're happy to use distant admiration in order to slowly whittle away every room, kudos. But I really don't want to waste my time doing something so stupid. And I think a lot of people feel the same way. I'm happy to download a 100% save file when I feel I've done everything a normal human being would want to do.

If you think the blue fly is too slow, use red fly. It does a lot more damage and learning how to to use orbitals to deal damage properly is a pretty useful skill anyway.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

AbbadonOfHell posted:

You think that's bad (and it's not really, get close, use redfly watch dudes die.) try Cat's got your Tongue.

Getting a third pretty fly also helps a ton on that one.

That challenge taught me to properly appreciate Krampus' head.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

IntelligibleChoir posted:

So many stupid changes in this addition - that's the second run I've had ruined by randomly getting cursed eye - what made anyone think that that was a fun idea? There shouldn't be any items that make you go "welp, I guess I'll just start again then". And no, I'm not good enough to avoid taking damage altogether.

It only has a chance to teleport you if it hits while you are charging the shot.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

The lost is supposed to be stupid hard you goddamn whiners. Half of you wouldn't even know he existed if you didn't read about it.

Being almost entirely luck based still isn't good game design even if it supposed to be stupid hard.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

I hate enemies that slow the game down to a crawl. Those walking guys that cannot take damage until their head pop up drive me nuts. It takes forever just waiting for them to attack.

The Sheol room with those and a rotating laser eyeball you can't circle around is just the worst.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

notoriousman posted:

Building Meatboy unlocks the Super Fan, which boosts all stats (including speed it seems, which it did not in the original).

That's actually unlocked by challenge 14. I don't think Meat boy does anything but the achievement now. Super Bandage girl unlock the super bandage though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Controller versus keyboard is just a preference thing in this game. It's not like Dark Souls where keyboard and mouse is just objectively worse compared to a controller.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

I have 100%'d this game and I am still on "ugh, not Bob's loving Brain again"

Tell me your secrets

Be careful.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Some people just have problems with randomization. I played rebirth for 80 hours now and I've seen Ipecac once and gotten Brimstone like 20 times. Sometimes it just happens.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Where does the hole take you? If I were Edmund it'd take you to Basement/Cellar 1.

It goes to a new chest/dark room.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bug Bill Murray posted:

These new patches suck. Now that there's no way to cheese the Lost runs I don't think I'm ever going to beat it. I managed to kill Isaac on hard mode and that alone took me like 10 hours. Have no idea how boss rush is even possible unless I luck into some insane combo of items, which I don't feel like restarting hundreds of times to get.

If you are on PC you can always use cheatengine to give yourself items at the start or just straight up invincibility you don't want to bother with it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

I guess because they changed/added a bunch of items that get around his range issue.

I guess Azazel goes into the "I hate playing this character unless I get specific items to fix him" pile for me then.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bvoid posted:

I enjoy watching people overreact and melt down over minor/inconsequential things. It's not something I'm particularly proud of.

That happens with almost everything where something changes so you have a lot of things to enjoy.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

I'll admit I'm mostly just salty because my favorite character (Judas) isn't as fun anymore.

Wait, what did they do to Judas?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Book of Belial is no longer a guaranteed devil deal. It still raises your chance by a little bit but in my experience it rarely makes much of a difference.

Not a huge nerf and he's still fun to play but I wish they hadn't made that change.

That's a shame.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DrGreatJob posted:

One gently caress up, like let's say the IV bag in Greed mode, some OpenGL bug, etc. will make people outright hate you.

People liked breaking greed mode with the IV bag, not the other way around.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Playing Lilith in normal mode really feels like a chore after the nerf

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Edmund Honda posted:

Makes sense. Glass Cannon makes every character into the Lost, and he loves that garbage.

It was overpowered before, but it's into the 'if there's nothing else' pool now. This concept of balancing a single player game is so dumb

Balancing a single player game is fine. It becomes a problem when it involves making everything less fun just because some insane people who put a billion hours into the game can beat it easily.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Spergatory posted:

So to all the coders in the thread; is coding really this hard to do/easy to gently caress up, or is Nicalis staffed by actual monkeys?

Both.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Can I use cheatengine to just put the greed machine into 999 cents instantly?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cobalt60 posted:

I'm confused about the new stuff -- are people really filling the Greed machine to 999 coins just by playing through many times? Or is there some farming technique I'm not aware of?

Jusupov posted:

gently caress it and use cheatengine.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

That's no fun though

Grinding the greed machine until it gets to 999 isn't particularly fun either.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RatHat posted:

Or the Haunt.

Haunt really isn't that bad. The ghosts at the start can be a bit tricky but otherwise the haunt is a pushover.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fano posted:

I don't really understand why people are mad about them nerfing an item that was basically an autowin on 11 out of the 13 characters in the game.

Having easy runs with overpowered items is really fun sometimes

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, I don't agree with all the changes that have happened either and I think there are a whole bunch of issues especially when it comes to useless items, but if you read some of these reactions out of context you'd think there had been some huge mishap on a governmental level instead of one item being nerfed in a video game.

Did you know it's common to use hyperbole on Internet forums?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Whore now only activates, for everyone, if you meet the requirements for it activating after taking damage. Which means that, eg, it does nothing on the Lost ever.

Yes this is really really stupid.

[edit]

Knowing Nicalis they probably had it checking the condition every single game tick or something

Guess I'm never playing Eve again.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tech X seems to have a lot of variance. Sometimes it's amazing and sometimes it just makes things worse.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dias posted:

Marked is gonna be one of those items like the Guillotine where it IS probably good, I'm just poo poo at using it. Also, you know what's the Isaac's definition of "get hosed"? A perfectly good Ipecac run where you get Marked out of an ? item pedestal.

I really hate Curse of the blind. It never does anything interesting, it just forces you to not pick up items or randomly gently caress up your run with a garbage item.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bumbo is alright in my books since he killed the Hush for me when I was hiding and being a stone statue as the lost.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I've started seeing Brimstone now that I'm trying for Mega Satan kills

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

HenryEx posted:

You don't always have that, sadly

Don't do lost runs before unlocking the starting holy mantle from Greed mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Finally finished the post-it as the keeper.

Conclusion: gently caress the keeper.