Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I'm honestly just glad Rebirth is making items actually work together so you don't hit situations where you get one good item and suddenly like half of the good items in the game are useless.

E:

Ariong posted:

As someone who has been playing since before WotL came out, I agree. The expansion definitely brings with it a spike in difficulty and given how hard I found the vanilla game when I first started, it must be pretty crazy trying to start with WotL.

Yeah the problem is that WotL both makes the game harder and introduces a slew of items that are terrible. WotL adds some really, really awesome powerups but also adds a bunch of stuff that's hot garbage (Pageant Boy and The Box really come to mind)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Met posted:

I was playing the other day and got The Box as a reward for beating the first boss. It's no health boost but I didn't find it to be complete garbage.

It gave me Cancer though.

I mean when you get Cancer out of it that's basically best case scenario - it's one of the best trinkets in the game. Imagine getting bad trip pills, a penny, half a heart, and a useless trinket. And now you know why I absolutely hate seeing The Box.

Honestly The Box and/or Pageant Boy aren't the worst as first floor drops, but when you're really hurting for something good in like Necropolis and get The Box, it's pretty frustrating.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Any chance you're on a laptop and can go download it at a coffee shop or something?

Alternately if you can get a usb wifi card for your desktop and get it via tethering from your phone. Half a gig isn't that much data

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
You guys are unironocally bickering about the ~artistic style~ of a game that generally involves tossing tears, urine, feces, and whatever other bodily fluids you can think of back and forth with your enemies.

:getout:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Is there any way to make the game a little bigger without full screening it? I don't like playing on the like 800x600 that it defaults to but I don't want to go all the way up to fullscreen because I have two monitors and fullscreen messes with my other monitor.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

NickPancakes posted:

Just corner resize. It works, just no maximize button for some reason.

Oh, thank you!

Other question: Is the R U A WIZARD? pill meant to be completely crippling? I just loving restart if I get one, I hate that pill so goddamned much.

(I might have the name wrong, it makes you shoot pills outward at a 45 degree angle and it's absolutely miserable to play with)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
So I'm pretty sure soulheart damage doesn't count towards the achievements for not taking damage, cause I just got basement boy despite having lost a soul heart over the course of the floor.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Holy poo poo I just found the best bug ever. If you beat Mom in the Depths for the first time with the unicorn powerup on (I don't know if it works for the activated item or just Taurus) then it makes all of the audio for the ending play SUPER fast because the rainbow unicorn mode speeds all the audio up :allears:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Seed 6VVY H6G9 started me with Quad Shot on the first floor as Judas, if anyone wants a fun seed

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I wish you could turn items back off after getting them. Getting anti-grav tears on Azazel is completely unplayable, and it's really frustrating to have a promising run ruined like that

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

RatHat posted:

What does Anti-grav do with Azazel/Brimstone?

Also getting stuck with bad items is part of the game. It's why the Curse of Blindness(can't see what items are until you pick them up) can be dangerous.

It makes your Brimstone take about a second and a half to two seconds to go off after you let go of the button. So with Azazel's brimstone where you have to swoop in, shoot, and swoop out, you're really screwed because it's incredibly hard to time things that far in advance.

In other news, I really hope mods happen and that a No Greed mod happens. I haven't had a game go by where I haven't gotten both Greed and Super Greed on the two floors of the Depths when I'm all loaded up with cash and trying to find a shop to get something before I hit The Womb. God I loving hate Greed so, so, so much.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Supremezero posted:

... yeaaaaaaaaaaah, this one's giving me homing bombs, not Tammy's Head. Anyone else?

Same, homing bombs :(

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Anyone know how 9 Volt interacts with items that charge in one room? It'd be so good if it gave you two charges each time you beat a room :getin:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

alpha_destroy posted:

On the second floor on my first attempt at the Solar System it went from an orbital challenge to a Lil Brimstone challenge. He came through for me. Me and Lil Brimstone are bros now.

Unless I have like three heart containers or less, I will always grab Lil Brimstone. He's bonkers good.

Technology 2 with Slow Shots is hilarious. I walked into the Boss Rush room with Tech 2 on, said 'huh I wonder if that'll give me slow lasers,' grabbed the Spider Bite, and spent the rest of the boss rush mode lasering things to death that were pinned on the far side of the room by my slowing lasers. Anything that got near got a taste of Lil Haunt (who's also super good, he Fears things he latches on to, and when something is slowed and feared it's doing absolutely nothing to threaten you). God that was fun

E: VVVVV I'm giving the Waka Waka challenge a whirl now and this is hilarious.

Magres fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 7, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
What the hell does Goat Head do? I can't figure it out

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
NEA2
V9Q1

Really... just solid Eve run. Having maxed damage and high tear rate of fire with piercing Fear Shots is excellent and a fun way to just blast your way through the game. It doesn't have any insane combos, but if you just want a really solid 'smash everything in your path' kinda game, this'll do it.

Oh yeah, it gets Book of Shadows too. Like I said, just a very solid seed.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
FFFFUUUUCCCCKKK COME ON GAME

Doing Head Trauma, get Krampus, get SUPER excited for coal with that setup, get loving Krampus' Head instead.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Spoilers about Endings 14, 15 and 16 ahead

Pretty sure Ending 16, and really, the entire game, represents Isaac transitioning from being an obedient child to a rebellious kid and eventual rebellious teenager. I think the game is literally "No gently caress YOU, Mom."

Overall plot, to me, is basically that Isaac's parents split, dad walked out, and mom turned to religion for support because being a single mom (and possibly having lost another child, though more on that later) is rough. Isaac thinks his mom's punishment when he misbehaves are motivated by her religious beliefs, and that the punishments - having toys taken away, being told to go to his room - are unfair. In a fit of rage he hides in his toy chest, thinking 'this will show Mom, she'll be so sad when she can't find me and thinks I'm missing or dead and gone.' Except it works. Mom misses Isaac hidden underneath his toys entirely, calling out for him. She leaves to canvass the neighborhood and find her missing son. He, meanwhile, continues to fume and rage in his toy chest, and eventually decides to rebel against his mother entirely.

It's really what Endings 14, 15, and 16 say to me. 14 is the pictures ending know from WotL. 15 is after you kill The Lamb and shows Mom out searching for Isaac and putting up Missing posters. 16 shows Isaac, very much alive (Who is Blue? My guess is a sister, Maggie, who we see in the pictures in 14. Maggie died and is Blue, and the grief from it drove Isaac's parents apart), hyperventilating in The Chest, and flashing between looking like himself and looking like Azazel, before eventually settling on Azazel.

Hopefully there's an Ending 17 that gives us a little more resolution than Ending 16.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Oh for fucks sake. Three floors, no keys, every item room locked. gently caress you game

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Secret room is normally wedged between two important rooms. The shop or prize room is just two bombs away my friend

I was bomb starved too. YAY.

Yodzilla posted:

Technology is weak as hell too. Yeah you get good range but drat do you have to pound on things to kill them without an upgrade.

The horizontal hitbox is also buggy and significantly below where the laser shows up. Shame, Technology used to be one of my favorite things to mess around with.

E: Also, no seed :( I ragequit after the third floor of no items and started a new run

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Seriously Ludovico with Brimstone is hilarious

gently caress Tammy's Head, Ludovico is where it's at. Only problem is that I wish I could make it cursor controlled :smith:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

KingShiro posted:

That's the problem I have with Ludo that makes me not like it. Very slow using keys, but in the remix it was a bit faster using the mouse, which is missing for some reason.

Having high shot speed makes it a lot more comfortable to use. I got it on Eve a couple runs ago and the shot speed trinket made it go from slow and awkward as hell to zooming around the map terorrizing and roasting things (literally, I also had flaming tears and fear shot)

E: Ipecac has always been strong, it is just awkward as hell against enemies that like to get up in your face (HEMOGLOBIINNNSSSS :argh:). Rebirth added some really good close quarters items. Notably Gemini, who eats things alive the second they go near you.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Cursed challenge beat first try :smuggo:

Taurus saved me so much health, half the time I'd fight through a room until it procced, bumrush every enemy in sight, then sprint out the door just before it ended and save half a heart.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh my God anti-gravity shots on Azazel.

Wait is this a good oh my god or a bad oh my god? Because I despise anti-grav shots on Azazel. If you've got any insight as to how to make it not complete poo poo, I'd love to know

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Testekill posted:

Soy Milk has to be close to the worst item that I've used so far. Only reason it isn't worse than Bobs Thoughts is that you can't hurt yourself with it and that there are a lot more damage up items in the game.

No way, Bobs Thoughts is better than Soy Milk. If you're careful with it Bobs Thoughts can actually be useful. Soy Milk is universally terrible and can literally end a run if you hit a room full of Hemoglobins and don't have damage upgrades or bombs - you cannot kill them with just unupgraded Soy Milk before they regenerate.

I've won stuff with Bobs Thoughts, I've tried Soy Milk a couple times and it just stops my run in its tracks within a couple rooms, every time.

I really wish there weren't so many cripplingly bad items in Rebirth. I make a habit of picking up every item ever (and did so in WotL) and there really weren't items that could torpedo a good run in WotL the way there are in Rebirth.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

The Steak Justice posted:

The best way to get the Dark Boy achievement in rebirth is by sheer accident after it was the last achievement you got in the original.
Speaking from experience at least.

Yeah I somehow got all four _____ Boy achievements before having even unlocked It Lives. Rebirth seems very polarized in terms of items, I never really have runs where I just kind of limp through the game and claw my way to victory, I either get ridiculously good items and stomp my way through everything or I grab loving Soy Milk or something like it and my run immediately comes to a screaming halt.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Btw if anyone's interested in reading about and or participating in the hunt for the ultra secrets of the game, this thread seems like a good resource.

People have figured out how to get The Lost by using cheat tables, but it looks like no one has figured out how to do it legit yet. It's a floating little ghost, it looks like it may come with built in flying but I haven't seen any confirmation of that yet. Just visually it doesn't have legs. Apparently it's similar to Blue but only starts with ONE soul heart, and its max Soul Heart count might be restricted heavily.

Runcible Spoon posted:

Holy poo poo, the dreaded Eve run just got trivialized by one of those hilariously broken item combos.

Lucky Rock (every rock drops a penny) + Magic Fingers + Pyro = literally nothing standing up to me just hammering the spacebar in each room and destroying everything in the Womb in about five seconds.

I really hope my Magdalene run gets something equally good, but I know it probably won't. :smith:

Eve owns yo. Just trade away your heart containers so you max at one heart and then crush the world with your like +3 damage and speed from Whore of Babylon. Seriously that item is so strong. It's like playing Judas except with significantly better stats in exchange for Book of Belial. Eve is legit one of my favorite characters, just get her down to one or zero max health and play her like you'd play Blue.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I'm watching Richard and Cobalt and this character's existence is downright mean-spirited. I might go for Platinum God eventually, but seriously gently caress ever, ever going for True Platinum God.

Magres fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Nov 9, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rocketlex posted:

Rub yourself against the first enemy you see until you're down to 1 heart, then never let yourself go above it. Sell all your heart containers to the Devil and play her like a superpowered version of ???. She's actually pretty amazing if you can keep her in Danger Mode the entire run.

Rocketlex has the right of it. Super Saiyan Eve demolishes everything and doesn't give a poo poo. When Whore of Babylon is active you get like +3 damage and a couple points of speed.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

flyboi posted:

The game is still fully breakable just like the old one. Being upset about 'cheevos is beyond stupid, especially when some of the higher-bar requirements yield some really cool items. If you're going to be that upset about a dumb bug then you should probably do the actual puzzle riddle to unlock The Lost rather than reading the step-by-step instructions leaked by people who de-compiled the game.

In the end I'll probably just download a plat god save when someone makes one as there's a lot of things I can't unlock that I'd like to play with.

The best part is that if you want an "untainted" save or whatever, you can get a Plat god save and then toodle around in another save file.

Honestly, if one is hellbent on getting The Lost achievements the "right" way, imo your best option would be to start a new save file and do The Lost first after having prepped your item pool to be as powerful as possible. It'd probably save you time and heartache in the long run. That said, screw anything to do with that - I want to get plat god at some point and I don't think I'll ever go for true plat god because trying to clear the game w/ The Lost looks tedious as hell.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

legendsuper posted:

This run's safety provided to you by: the Trinity Shield, the Mask of Infamy, three orbital flies, and blue flies every other second.
Not pictured: Monstro's Lung + Ipecac.

How exactly do Trinity Shield and Mask of Infamy work? I know they're both defensive and if I'm not mistaken, Trinity Shield eats bullets that touch it, but I have no idea how the Mask works (because my immediate guess is that it does the exact same thing as Trinity Shield, which seems wrong)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Slime posted:

Honestly I find a lot of bosses just have a ton of health when you consider where you fight them. They're not hard, they're just kinda tedious to fight without damage upgrades.

I absolutely hate fighting Womb+ bosses without damage upgrades. It's just a total slog that boils down to 'can you avoid chip damage long enough to lay down on the tears button for five minutes.'

LibbyM posted:

What does the little red pentagram underneath your bomb/key/coin counter mean?

Mean's you're playing on Hard.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

RoboCicero posted:

Beat "Cat Got Your Tongue" completely on the back of an early Joker card getting me Lil' Brimstone as a buddy. Letter of the law, spirit of the law!

Also gently caress the Cellar. An entire level full of enemies that have high HP relative to the amount of damage upgrades you have (none), or rush you very fast relative to the speed upgrades you have (also none), or are spawners? Or heck, combine all three and fight The Haunt as a floor one boss. Sign me up!!!

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Time for more intentionally painful DLC ideas!

Yo gently caress not being able to pause. I like your ideas, but seriously not being able to pause in a situation where there is never any breathing room is no bueno.

Jibo posted:

If you're gonna exploit, exploit big.

:toot:

Did you get Godhead? I'm wondering if the unlock for that is actually Mind+Body+Soul or not

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 10, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

So what is this exploit? Sorry if it was brought up a few pages ago.

9 Lives on Lost makes you immortal, or at least that's the one I've heard about a bunch

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

LaughMyselfTo posted:

The inability to pause is for the express purpose of keeping there from being any breathing room. :toot: I guess pausing/returning might be acceptable, but I'm worried it would tempt more people to try for the insane, absurd survival achievements, which would bring frustration to more people than I intend. :ohdear:

...I guess spreading the frustration around a bit isn't a bad thing.

Part of it is that I loving hate it when games try to put me in a situation where I can choose to either go deal with a pressing need in real life or be punished in game for it. (Hilariously, the fact that you can't pause in Dark Souls doesn't bother me because who gives a poo poo about dying in Dark Souls.)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

dark souls is also really good at letting you find places to chill. you take on things at your own pace more or less.

Yeah, very true. Dark Souls' pacing is fantastic.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecZmpEsiYZg

CursedTears.avi

His transition from being flabbergasted to vocally angry to just silent fury is amazing, and Cursed Tears are officially my new favorite item.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

LibbyM posted:

Just encountered the boss rush for the first time on an eve run, not knowing what it was. Smashed it because I had such a lucky build already, so hopefully Eve's Mascara turns out to be a good item.

I loving hate Eve's Mascara and I wish I could re-lock it because it spawns for me a ton and it has ruined my run every time I've gotten it.

It gives you like +3 damage for something like -3 range, -3 shot speed and -2 or -3 fire rate. It makes you hit hard, but you have to get up to point blank, lead your shots (in point blank), and doesn't actually up your DPS in my experience. Like if you have max range and shot speed and fire rate and are just lacking in damage it'd be great, but as a first or early item it's garbage.

I really wish Rebirth had fewer horribly crippling items :smith:

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 10, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Tracula posted:

Honestly I'd say that Rebirth has significantly fewer trash-tier items compared to BoI and especially Wrath.

It's Wrath has a lot of useless items that are not "I am strictly worse off with this than if i had skipped it." I made a habit of picking up everything I saw drop in Wrath (spacebar items aside because you can only have one) and there were no items that just completely crippled me the way poo poo like Soy Milk and Eve's Mascara do.

Also: gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress bomb spiders. I hate them so, so much.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
One thing I miss from the original: The ending music. Jesus Loves Me This I Know all slowed down and out of tune was delightfully disconcerting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Dark Bum was honestly fine before. People were wigging out because he trivializes the game pre-Sheol/Cath. Oh no, he trivializes what amounts to the game's tutorial mode. He's still fine, but I honestly don't think he needed the nerf considering how few hearts drop in Cath/Sheol and Chest/Dark Room