Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, count me in as another who's only played it with WotL included. I didn't get into Isaac until a couple weeks after the expansion dropped in fact. I love the game, but I am so not good at it. I've been playing that long, and I still haven't unlocked the chest yet. I have like, three sheol runs and three cathedral runs to complete (not an identical set of characters there). What I'm saying is I stink on ice.

Also, it's totally killing me that I don't get paid til Monday and have to wait until then to pre-order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Heran Bago posted:

It does since this year. It started off kind of bad though. Aside from the wonderful expansion pack BoI isn't the kind of game to get bug fixes, let alone new features.

So do you think that means things like the pony exploit will still be in Rebirth? You know, where if you don't move or hit any of the arrow keys you're invincible, and you can still use the mouse to attack without activating the charge?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Sometimes I think the RNG hates me. I've been playing the game since WotL dropped, and tonight was the first time I'd ever seen Teratoma in action. Really.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Pre-ordered this AM, and I'm totally psyched.

That said, am I the only one who thinks the new pixel-art style actually seems like a significant downgrade to the original's look? I mean, I love pixel-art as much as the next dude, and I get that BoI was always meant to be a retro game experience, but the crisp clean artwork is kinda part of what makes BoI BoI.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Fossilized Poop makes poop almost always drop an item, it's pretty great.

Unless I significantly misunderstood things, Petrified Poop meanwhile doesn't do anything and is stuck in your trinket slot.

In my first run I got Basement Boy, and Lazarus, and I also got a three chest devil room, one of which held guppy's paw. Also in that game they gave me an item called "infestation 2" that looked like the quad shot only light brown. What it does is when an enemy is killed with your tears, they turn into a blue attack spider that follows you around.

My second game I got Polyphemus, the x-ray pill, and a telepill that took me to the I Am Error room which had The Pact sitting right there.

Has anyone else noticed that there's some sort of dazed or confused type status shot as well as the poison ones? Like I think The Rock can cause it. little * type shapes dance over the enemy's head, they turn gray, and their pathing becomes all messed up temporarily.

Also, I saw something weird I wasn't able to play with at one point because I was out of bombs. A walled off door with cracks in it. The map put a shop symbol on that room.

Finally, does anyone know what you do in the rooms where it looks like a big lake?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Got my first mom kill. Had an awesome assortment of powerups, where my tears were zig zagging and shrinking as they got further from me, and I got infestation 2 again, which there are some enemies that does absurd things to (try using it on Pin some time). I also had the devil beggar in the very first treasure room. He really is awesome.

Also, I got a new familiar I haven't seen mentioned here. It's called the Scape Goat, and is a pet Mulligan that wanders around the room at random crying, and distracting the enemies about half the time. After I got him, my boss list was Peep, Fatboy, DOUBLEHEADER Fatboy (Two of them in an extra wide room) and mom. All of them rely on chasing you down. Instead they would chase my little buddy (who also works as a moving shield too) and me and the spider guild would make short work of them.

I've noticed a weird bug in my copy--it gets choppy a lot when major screen changes happen, like Monstro's ground pounds. But only in windowed mode. It has no problems in full screen.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

X rocks seem like they're a lot more rare this version than the last. I see a lot of bomb-in-a-rocks though, which seem like they're basically just a small step safer than tnt barrels.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Oh, I almost forgot another thing that I think is a bug in my system. I was playing as Maggie and every time she'd get hit, she'd drop money, ala Greed fights, but here's the kicker--my money wouldn't go down when this happened. This didn't happen for anyone else.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

CJacobs posted:

According to edmund on a blog quite a while ago, there are other filters you can unlock and use. Has anyone found any yet?

He spoiled one in that blog post "BOOB TOOB" makes it look like you're playing on an old green CRT Monitor. I checked and it certainly works, but it counts as a challenge run where you get no achievements.

And, I just got my first Mom's Heart kill with a WAY too OP build of Azazel. But where that should have just been the end right there, I instead had the shovel. :getin: So now I have my first Satan defeat under my belt too. I had my two best buddies, the demon begger (who mixes FANTASTICALLY with Azazel), and the pet Mulligan, a poo poo-ton of damage boosts, especially because of how easy it gets to clear out the devil deals with Azazel and the demon begger, Taurus, and then two new companions from the devil rooms I haven't seen here: Dry Baby, which looks kinda mummified, and randomly pops the Necronomicon when it feels like it. And Infected Baby that looks kinda like if "Bob" was a ghost baby, and he spits out random blue flies and spiders. By the time I got to Mom, I was one-shotting a LOT of the bosses. My only regret is how many pickups I got that did not at all mix with mini-brimstone, like Monstro's Lung or Wiggle Worm. No effect on me whatsoever.

Cain and the ? are the only characters I have left to unlock.

EDIT: Oh, and as a public service announcement, the item people have been complaining about that causes you teleport if hit is The Cursed Eye. It looks like a smaller version of Mom's Pearl. Also, when you have it it basically works like Technology, where you have to charge up your shots, but you shoot a bunch of tears at once. When I grabbed it, I already had the $3 Bill, which has a LOT of new options to select from, and mixed with it perfectly, so I would charge up and shoot a random volley of oversized shots, which would be different in each room.

Also, for those complaining about shadows and eyestrain, crank the gamma all the way up to 150 in the options. It's not perfect, but you shouldn't have any more issues.

Choco1980 fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 5, 2014

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

As I said in my edited post, it's The Cursed Eye. It looks like Mom's Pearl, but slightly smaller. And it forces you to charge your shots from what I could see, but turns them into a volley of like 5 oversized tears.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Darth Windu posted:

Where does the item appear, in the level hat you are on? I can never find it.

People seem to be falling over themselves to be smug in response to this, and haven't really answered his first question. The person you're responding to did one of the "challenge" runs off the main menu where it sets you up with strange conditions. And he won. His reward was to have this new rune item get added to the pool of randomized item drops (and get an achievement for it) He doesn't get the rune any easier than any other item, but now it's possible to get it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

goferchan posted:

first heart kill! Didn't have anything with crazy effects but I got Money Is Power, 99 bombs, and the trinket (lucky rock?) that makes rocks always drop coins when destroyed. maxed out my money pretty quickly that way and was able to do some serious damage. By the way, the mushrooms and skulls and stuff that appear in some rooms instead of rocks aren't just palette swaps -- bombing the mushrooms seems to have a really high chance of a pill dropping, so keep that in mind if you end up with PHd. I also got a Red Mushroom item from one that gave +1 to all stats. Skulls seem to have a chance of dropping tarot cards the same way mushrooms do pills but I didn't get to bomb enough to confirm it for sure.

I've had more than once skulls that get bombed turn into turrets. If there's still enemies in the room, they count towards the door opening. If not, they don't, and disappear when you go back in, like the poop flies.

And speaking of, I noticed that cupid's arrow (and maybe other armor piercing status?) doesn't pierce turret armor any more. It still works fine on knight armor though.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Kaethela posted:

Make sure you don't use it during the Gemini fight. Or Larry Jr. for that matter. Seriously.

I suspect this is true for Pin as well, based on other things I've seen Pin do.

In other news, haha I tried the Basement-mode seed today (BASE MENT), it's pretty much "practice mode" After you beat the 2nd basement mode it jumps back to the first (though the level counter keeps going up. The first half dozen times it happens it confuses the "narrator" even.) I kept getting stronger and stronger as I went. Eventually I had too many friendly bugs spawn and I broke the game. It kept jumping to pause and not letting me unpause it. This was on level 34.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Man, anything that causes friendly bugs to spawn at any sort of rate (the infestations, mom's wig, etc) is totally OP. Every one of my wins so far has hinged on having them.

Also, Haunt has officially replaced Widow for the title older of "Worst Thought Out Placement in the Game". Seriously, he pops up on the first floor WAY too often considering how fast he and his babies are.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

So, I've decided I want to get a heart kill in with each character before I start trying my Eden runs, because I'm weird that way. Tonight I started a Maggie run, and had very low hopes at the outset because it was screwing me out of bombs left and right. I ended up not getting any game-breaking combos, in fact the most exotic thing I got was piercing damage, and I ended up keeping the yum heart the whole run (and it helped me out a LOT). But my other secret weapon was getting three pretty fly pills. I was 90% projectile proof. Mom's Heart couldn't touch me until she went into machine gun mode towards the end. So three down now, and that newest one felt so satisfying that I did it on my own merits.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Einwand posted:

So it turns out having a full 3 generic fly orbitals makes you completely immune to bullets due to the size change from the original.

Mom's Heart has a pattern that can break through. It's the super fast, directly aimed machine gun burst. It's fast enough to bust through the shield. I wonder if adding the upgrade that increases their size would still do that?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Got my first boss rush in, and it was about the most :black101: time I've had in either game. I was working on my Cain run and due to circumstances that mostly involved me saying "gently caress it", I was at one red heart going into the rush. Also, I had Ghost baby (the least important part of this combination), Brimstone, The Virus, and here's where it gets interesting, Poptosis and Whip Worm, which work magnificently together to create good sized rocket tears rapid-firing. I also ended up getting the broken watch and ball of tar, so while I had a frickin' chain-gun effect, everything was moving like molasses. And then I went and ran into a guy in utero I, killing myself.

Also, I had a weird glitch in a different run. I used a Joker card on Depths 2, no problem. I also beat mom fast enough to unlock the boss rush, only instead a devil room door opened up. I went in, and there was nothing in there but the Satan statue. Even the bonfires were out. So I went back into the mom room, and the door turned into the boss rush hole. I went back in and it was the boss rush room like normal. Very weird.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Alkydere posted:

"We also fixed some minor gameplay related issues that I will not mention here in detail"

Time to see if Dark Bum Buddy still gives 1:1 soul hearts to hearts.

I just went on a run after the patch loaded. I can vouch that he does NOT any more. He's still pretty drat powerful though. I also had the converter that run so eventually he outlived his usefulness.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

How do the stone chests work? Do I have to bomb them open?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

HGH posted:

I found Infestation 2 (it's a brown spider icon) and I'm not sure what it does cause I was already Lord of the Flies with some random dice room items. Something about a spider spawning shot?

When you kill an enemy with your tears, it turns into a friend blue spider, ready to explode itself on monsters. You can easily overwhelm most enemies with this.

Nighthand posted:

First Eden try, got transcendence and some use item that makes me flash colors but didn't seem to do anything else.

When you're flashing rainbow colors you're invincible. Note the music speeds up too.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Goddammit, why oh why did I wait until AFTER Everything Is Terrible! to try to get my Eve runs in?! She's just so goddamn weak that even weak enemies eventually corner me.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Finally, after DAYS of playing, I got my first heart kill with Eve. It took Brimstone, judicious use of Guppy's Head, and Infamy to do it. Also, this was my bomb run, as I first got the Sad Bomb, which turns your bombs into Tammy's Head. Unfortunately it doesn't make them shoot out brimstone shots, it does give the damage up. I also had Number One, Bobby Bomb, and Butt Bomb, which fills the room with stunning gas when your bombs go off, and finally I had the Fly BFF, which takes on all of these properties, making him crazy powerful. He hit the Fallen at 2/3rds health, and one shotted him, not even letting him split into two. I had Guppy's Tail but didn't need it, and even had two hearts left at the end. A lot of people talk about how the way to play as Eve is to deliberately pop Whore of Babylon, but I tell you, she is just. too. weak. to start out. Her shots do piddly damage, and she's also slower than Isaac (the benchmark starter, obviously) making it hard for her to dodge fast enemies. I swear I get hit by those dashing big poops every room I encounter them in. You really have to depend on the drop RNG if you want to get anywhere with her.

Question: For my first heart kill, I used a shovel and went down and fought Satan as well, getting me ending #12. The next time I beat her I got ending #2. The stat screen shows ending #1 unlocked, but I don't think I unlocked anything/got any achievements for it? Am I wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Someone Awful! posted:

Pyromaniac + Jesus Juice = Isaac with a second mouth that looks like a moustache or something. :psyduck:

No, that is a "mustache" in that jesus juice always gives you a juice-mustache stain on your face.

Is it just me, or is playing with a controller easier? I've been getting a lot more wins than in the old game.