Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm hunting for one. N-Scale should do the trick, but I haven't found one I like that isn't made of pewter. Worse comes to worse, I'll try sculpting one with two-part putty.

Would you consider this guy from this toy set? Not exactly model-grade molding, but it'd get the job done.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lemon-Lime posted:

I really wish we had an MG of this fucker.

Aw, man, I love fat Gundams.

(Doms too)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are the transformingconverting VF-1 kits any good?

E: the quasi-recent bandai ones, I mean. I don't know if there's any others, cause apparently I'm so far out the loop on Macross poo poo I didn't know Bandai also had them in two separate toy lines until this afternoon

Phy fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 26, 2019

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's in DIY, the Scale Model megathread

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the Transformers thread

Phy posted:

Did you want info on the fictional transforming airplane or on this particular toy release BECAUSE I CAN DO BOTH

The VF-4 Lightning III (because the P-38 was the first, and the troubled F-35 is the second) was at one point meant to be the replacement for the VF-1, which you and probably everyone here know as the hero mech of Macross/the good part of Robotech, and the toy of Jetfire. The VF-4 got all of a dozen seconds of screen time in 1987, jet mode only, in a 30 minute animated music video compilation set to fuckin' Lynn Minmei singing. Designed when Shoji Kawamori still cared about making planes that look like they came off the deck of a carrier, the VF-4 kind of bolted the nose and neck of the XB-70 Valkyrie to the rear end end of the SR-71 Blackbird, marrying the two fastest jets in the world into a design that looked like sex on wings. Then they did nothing with it until 2001, when they stuck it in a game on the Dreamcast, and someone remembered "oh poo poo we never actually designed a robot mode for this thing." So bot mode's a little gonkulous.

There's been a few garage kits and non-transforming plastic kits made of it, but until now the only toys have been from Yamato and Arcadia and were deadly expensive. (Like, Yamatos used to cost MP-36 money, Arcadias now run up to the MP BW Megatron/New MP Optimus range). Yamato's VF-4 was the last valk it put out before it went bankrupt, Arcadia was either a restructuring or someone protected from liability who bought all Yamato's designs and picked up where they left off. In the meantime, Bandai's been putting out a bunch of toys under the Hi-Metal R and DX Chogokin lines. The Hi-Metals are smaller and somewhat less detailed, the DX Chogokins are 1/60 scale and fully perfect transformation. I only found out about either lines a couple weeks ago, after the preorders for the VF-4 were sold out. Cue me checking in every day to see if it'd been released, and when it was on last Friday I got an order into Bandai's own online store because HLJ, Amiami and Hobbysearch were all sold out. The Bandai order was promptly cancelled and refunded, so I ended up grabbing it off Japanese Amazon from a reseller for actually not a bunch more than retail.

This sucker is a Hi-Metal R release, which makes it about the size of an MP carbot. It's not a fully perfect transformation - the canopy pulls off instead of hinging, the landing gear plug in instead of being behind moving doors, the jet intakes are plates that yank out and there's a couple of filler panels covering the thighs. It comes with a VF-1's rifle that isn't entirely canon but still looks great attached. I haven't transformed it yet, but I understand how. Still looks like sex on wings.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

why not just have one big arm strong enough to fire the Beam Magnum without breaking? I understand that one of the benefits of Mobile Suits having standard hands is that they can easily switch loadouts. But if you have to add a rack of extra arms because the gun keeps breaking the arm, maybe just having one non standard arm that won't break would be the better solution

There have already been hundreds, if not thousands, of mobile suits with guns that don't break their own arms. We can chase realism in a giant robot setting down a rabbit hole that leads ultimately back to tanks and airplanes/spacefighters, or we can accept that the premise of mobile suits at all is ridiculous and a Gundam with a gun so powerful it breaks its own arms and can reload its arms is pretty fuckin' funny.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Like obviously if anyone sane was in charge, they would do one of:

make arm stronger
make gun weaker
hardmount gun
put gun on a mobile armor instead

But no, this design project is apparently being headed up by the kind of engineer who takes benzos every day and tries to smuggle them into Saudi Arabia for work, so the answer is instead "arms are a consumable and here's a reloading system"

It's like how Tallgeese just loving kills its pilots unless they're Zechs. Provide a G-suit? Naw. One of those fancy breathable liquid suspension cockpits? Too expensive. Make the thrusters weaker? Heck no. Put a little stop in the thruster controls so you can't drive them as far? Sissy. Sack up and eat gees, pilot.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Monaghan posted:

Also they aren't gonna provide a g-suit for the tallgeese because if you're wearing a g-suit you're not going to be able to wear the alliance/oz's sick rear end uniforms while piloting. That trade off is just unacceptable.

Oh clearly. You gotta look swank, or what's the point?

Also, the fictional decisions made by OZ are in aid of the metafictional decision to have a monster sealed away for the deuteragonist to tame, and use it to threaten his foes on a more equal level.

If the writers of Wing had decided smart engineering decisions were more fun than shonen tropes, the "Tallgeese" wouldn't have existed, because the conditions that make it pilot-lethal would have been anticipated and mitigated during the design phase. There'd be hundreds of "Leos", artificially limited to do the maximum acceleration that a trained pilot can survive, but no more; and then despite being an inexpensive mobile suit that could fly right up its own rear end in a top hat, it would mostly get used as a bomb truck. The prototype would be in a museum somewhere, but no better (and probably worse) than any later Leo. Because that's exactly what the F-16 jet fighter was and is in the real world. Same drat problem as the Tallgeese, it can physically turn harder than a pilot can survive, they just programmed it so it won't.

I realize I'm not saying anything interesting by pointing out that these giant tanks with legs are designed first and foremost to be cool and/or funny, and only justified in the fiction after the fact. But I've kinda gotten away from my point here, which is that a mobile suit that has to reload its arms because Gun Too Stronk is a crazy idea that even the most coked-up weapons development project would shout down, and I applaud the person bold enough to put pen to paper to design it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Dude, I do fully appreciate that experimental and military procurement programs are capable of letting cocaine (or porkbarreling, or bribes) make the decisions. I mentioned the F-16 because it solved precisely the Tallgeese's problem of lethal g-loading in a way that avoided the sealed-away super prototype trope.

But I did say this:

Phy posted:

But I've kinda gotten away from my point here, which is that a mobile suit that has to reload its arms because Gun Too Stronk is a crazy idea that even the most coked-up weapons development project would shout down

And you've reminded me that I'm probably wrong about that.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
RX-78-|-2| Backdraft Gundam

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
For comparison, the F-16 is around 15m long, the F-14 and 15 are both around 19m, and the Su-30 is a hair under 22m. The P-51 Mustang was under 10m.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's about time, Space Marine armor is the Western Zaku.

Lots of variants, looks great in an action pose, big shoulder armor, immediately recognizable emblem of space fascists

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
What's a char? That's just Lt. Quattro Bajeena

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Winganac

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

Lu Bu Sinaju

Well, there's a name that lends itself nicely to stadium cheers

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

https://youtu.be/kELhHQ4sC_Y

Is this the cousin to that ms from a little while back with the reloadable rocket punch arms?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I always like Zeonic Gundams (and Feddie monoeyes)

It's like when Transformers kicks out a Shattered Glass version of a character, but since each side has their own design language the swap is more visually interesting

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I tried out the game last night, wound up with a GnX-headed abomination. I'm new to gacha games, what's the general strategy with all the upgrade parts the game fires at you out the gate? Just dump it into your starter suit, or save it for if you get good poo poo and upgrade that?

EWVY9UQCT if you want my GnX Kampfer... thing.

Phy fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 3, 2019

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The way painting is handled (needing a full suit loadout to dl its paintjob) is the only thing stopping me from just messing around in the garage until the wee hours of the morning like I did with the original Armored Core on the psx

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Game: I buffed my suit a little too much, went from consistently and rapidly eating poo poo against the final campaign boss, to a hard fight but closely lost, to loving bodying them with one Last Shooting out of the 4-star RX-78 rifle. I would have settled for hard fought but closely won, and some leftover upgrade parts. Anyway enjoy using Stabby if you see it pop up for the dailies.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yawgmoft posted:

AB5 is clearly superior and allowed me to hang Zakus upside down.

I know Zeon went fascist but you didn't have to make a Mussolini-use Zaku

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Quick question: If I'm not gonna be painting or even doing a topcoat, what's my best option for panel lines, and if that's some variety of marker, how do I stop them from gumming up/drying out like they used to when I was doing gunpla a decade ago?

The last few kits I did back then (and halfway through the RG Tallgeese now) I've sharpened up a technical pencil as fine as I could, but on the Tallgeese the lines are cut fine enough that I can't get the pencil down to the bottom of the groove so I end up with a weird-looking double line.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

any other old mgs with screws in them that would be fun to try out? the oldest one i've built was the turn a, which due to its design was a unique build for any era

I got into gunpla when the G Gundam MGs were just coming out, I remember enjoying the build on the creamsicle Zetaplus, the Dom, and Acguy (no screws on the latter two, though the Dom is still old as balls)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure once I've finished Tallgeese I'm going to find myself buying Sazabi and Nu. But I've had Hugeduck for over a year and still only done the lower half...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

Does G-Self transform?

No?

Then it's trash. :colbert:

FAZZ doesn't transform.

I always liked that the double z in FAZZ is pronounced like the one in pizza.

What do you get if you put twenty FAZZ in a row and then push the first one over? FAZZ Domino.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

The entire Gunpla craze was started by this

Idea: a line of solid-color gunpla to look like Roman sculpture after all the pigments have worn off

e: lol the gundam's even doing the same pose

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Moola posted:

ya'll like goose game memes?

The original gave its pilots a heart attack, this one gives everybody else a heart attack

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I know I've seen another Gundam with those flip out fist-blades, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was and it's driving me nuts now :bang:. I think it was a Build kit, maybe?

Crossbone has the beam knuckles where the beam makes a cross

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's a fine-looking Grimlock!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's dalong's picture. It's real.

E: f, b

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Spin guns in Borderlands 2 always sucked unless they were Torgue.

Gunpla-adjacent but I liked this conversion I came across.

He's purging at three times normal speed!

Doubling down on the image of the "fascism is bad" bullets arcing over the head of the dope going "cool space guy!"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I may have mentioned before but I used to use diagonal cutters and a boxcutter

Some of the cuts were, let's say, rough

Never lost a fingerprint but I did chop into my thumb a fair bit. Fortunately shallow boxcutter wounds heal quickly

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sekiha Love Love Tenkyoken but instead of the Burger King it's a stereotypical plumber with a tank top, a big gut and two foot of buttcrack

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

d3lness posted:

That is amazing. Just take a Gundam pen and add a small line to give that haro a proper butt, please.

:emptyquote:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

chiasaur11 posted:

Probably the Nu and the Sazabi.

if I ever finish Tallgeese I'm gettin these two

Pose 'em goin absolute ham on eachother

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Monaghan posted:

Finished another robot.

Love a GM! I like the weathering, especially the big dent on the knee - Sniper models ought to have beat-to-poo poo knees from crouching down to take a shot.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

Do you use an exacto knife to apply stickers? It's the best way I've found, just get a tiny bit of the sticker attached to the blade, steady your arm on a table edge, leave the piece in question on a firm surface, and gently, carefully lower the sticker down onto the exact spot you need, then slide the blade tip out from under and smooth it out. Works every time.

well, except for curved/angled surface stickers, but those are designed by satan himself so it's not surprising nothing works for those

Actually, yeah, I had been doing that on the Tallgeese and my reprolabels Transformer decals.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Veotax posted:

After building the Exia I've been itching to build another PG (also I'm bored out of my mind with the country being locked down), anyone built the PG Gundam Mk-II? How is it?

I just made £400 off ebay and one of the UK stores has both the normal and Titans versions of the Mk-II in stock for £200 (I'd only be getting one of them, I'm not that crazy).

I understand that it's almost 20 years old and looking at the pictures on dalong there are some screws and springs, how's the build with those? I've never done a kit old enough that it has screws.

I built my AEUG version in the late 2000s (and it's been in storage since... 2013?). Keeping that time gap in mind, I don't recall any serious problems building it, other than it being a bit of a slog due to the parts count. But you've already built one PG so you'll be familiar there.

There's some power conduction "cables" in there that are actually metal chain... I think they might have been a bit of a pain to wrangle but nowhere near the cables on an MG Zaku 2.0. As for screws, yes, there's a bunch, they're self-tapping from what I remember (so like a wood screw), just make sure they start going in close to straight, and don't overtighten them as you can strip either the plastic or the screw head. Way better to go a bit loose and tighten as needed. If you've got a set of precision drivers for computer building, I recommend those - the narrow grip on them makes it harder to overtorque anything.

Ankles might be a little weak, but at the time I chalked that up to square-cube law issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

There's the kits prior to the Nu, which have a pre built internal skeleton, including the joints. They're cool but can have issues with armor retention.

The Nu is basically a 144 sized MG.

Sazabi and Tallgeese also have minimal prebuilt internals - Sazabi's got some bits in the shoulder and torso, and Tallgeese's arms and binder mounts.