Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
:france:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Man, Pre-Haussman Paris looked like Poop Venice.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 4, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What do we know about the story of the game?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

macnbc posted:

They mean this trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW_-exDp3CE

So this thread is for both AC games coming out next week. Which game do you mean?

Unity.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

webmeister posted:

The stupidest part for me was that this all-seeing, all-knowing company had it's two biggest threats working RIGHT THERE IN THE LOBBY and USING THEIR REAL NAMES :ughh:

Hey wow it's Shaun the sarcastic coffee guy, haven't I seen you somewhere before?

lmao they made the sarcastic geek a villain?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kuiperdolin posted:

A legitimately cool website : http://www.assassinscreedrogue.com/

lol about half the internets thinks the mentally ill guy standing in the way deserved to die :catstare:.

Which one is he?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Didn't realize it launched on Armistice Day.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Orv posted:

Ahahaha, the in-universe genre of the Abstergo games is TIE Fighter.

E: Wow, ice cold Ubisoft, ice cold.

What's this? That hood-suit looks completely stupid, in a good way.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Abu Dave posted:

It is absolutely stupid that they speak English instead of some form of French sounding language. Its offensive too to any real french people.

There's a French language option.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Vodos posted:

My game crashes whenever I try to enter the 2 southeastern districts of Paris, good times!

Bad neighborhood

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
So for people who played the game, how is Robespierre portrayed in this game? Big villain?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ethanol posted:

In my opinion, this game is in a worse state and does more to harm the series than origins did for arkham

Origins was good though?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Zachack posted:

While I find it irritating and would prefer my french game as frenchy as possible, I think the games have provided enough background on how the animus works that the lacking accent thing is actually in-universe. Since the animus apparently translates things to the user, and the user of the Helix in Unity is (I guess) some schlub who bought a Helix setup and the requisite DLC just to watch some dude burn at the stake, then it makes adequate sense that the direct conversations would be translated to generic movie english to avoid making the home player feel more comfortable. Presumably if the player was in California then Arlo would refer to people as "you guys" and get an error screen when it rains while the sun is visible.

Previous games had Arab and Italian accents.

It's this:

Palpek posted:

The no French accent while speaking English thing is because Ubisoft is French and they're really embarassed about their distinctive accent when speaking foreign languages for some reason. Italians don't really care about that.

French accents are usually played for laughs.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Aphrodite posted:

He said next gen games.

"Next gen" only means the current generation of new consoles.
Besides, many of the games he cited are also on PS360.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 14, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Gesadt posted:

lets get back to the great stuff about unity:

desyncing cause stuff of nightmares is too much to handle

This is the Hunchback of Notre Dame

Assassin's Creed: Quasimodo

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Abu Dave posted:

They shouldve made this a 19th century France game and have little Helix flashbacks to the French Revolution instead.

Speaking of, what period do the helixes cover?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Razakai posted:

The bit I remember most from playing AC3 was that mission with the French guy. You follow him around as he aggros every soldier in the city, forcing you to kill dozens of people. Then he charges at a random unarmed tax collector and murders the guy because he's an angry French guy. Then Connor is all 'YOU ARE A TRUE ASSASSIN'. I felt like turning the game off right there (and wish I had)

No taxation without assassination.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Narcissus1916 posted:

How is the french voicework?

Please tell me that its at least passable. The british voice acting is so, so, jarring. I don't care about the reasons why - for me it automatically takes me completely out of any story they are trying to tell.

Don't have unity but if it's like other asscreed games it should be passable.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Who are the historical people you assassinate in Unity and in Rogue?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Just make a Rurouni Kenshin game, whoever.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Dan Didio posted:

His name's James, that's not a woman's name.

Jessie James??

Edit: oh poo poo he was a guy.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

effervescible posted:

I can't speak French for beans, but according to a friend it's more Montreal French than Paris French.

edit: actually I don't remember if she meant the background French or the main spoken French if you switch over. Though I guess they're probably the same.

I haven't played the game but it was dialogue from French voice actors, not Canadian ones from the trailers I've seen, I think I've recognized a few voice actors.

edit: background I mean. Main spoken French is definitely French from France, unless the American version of the game has a Canadian localization.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 15, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kopijeger posted:

Most of the time the French sounds decent to my admittedly non-fluent ear, but you get some situations where one character refers to a Scotsman as "speaking with a strange accent, maybe English or Scottish", but the character in question has a bog-standard French accent. Same goes for Napoleon Bonaparte, who has no trace of the Corsican accent the real one was known for.

Oh yeah, no surprises there, French dubbing barely does accents at all, everyone has the same standard French accent most of the time. It's very jarring when you know the original version.

Short of the accent being the dubber's own accent (which is pretty rare nowadays) or the character being specifically written as someone having a hard time speaking "our language" (the typical phrase used by dubs to avoid saying English or French), it's just standard French.

Edit: there are exceptions of course, often if someone has a heavy Italian/Asian/etc... accent in the original, it will be reflected in the French dub, but I don't think I've heard French adaptation of New York accents, Scottish accents etc... Basically every English dialects.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 15, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Playing Revelations after Black Flag feels very weird and awkward. Are there a lot of those tower defense segments?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Discendo Vox posted:

What the others said (it's the worst feature of that game after the bomb crafting), but note that if you're a completionist, there's an achievement linked with that minigame- "Iron Curtain", if I recall.

I hate cheevos so that's all right with me.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Finished Black Flag, that was pretty great, I really liked Edward.

I liked that the assassinations were actual assassinations 99% of the time, not scripted sword fights.

How's Rogue?

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 1, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Speaking of accents, apparently they're back in Chronicles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JapuE16BPrY

I guess the French accent is harder to pull off than Chinese, Indian or Russian.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

CharlieWhiskey posted:

A year after Unity, I am going to Paris tomorrow and while Unity should have made me obsessed with the city, it failed to make the city a character, and subsequently I will see the city like any other tourist.

Tl;dr: Ubisoft lied, passion died

To be honest, the city thoroughly changed after Haussmann's renovation of Paris in the 19th Century. I'm not sure you'd have found your marks anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

GhostDog posted:

I guess you might be able to try yourself some time...

It's not April 1, I'm confused.

Why would a French publisher open a theme park in Asia?

• Locked thread