Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Why is Romney's effort to "remain relevant" so mysterious to anyone? It seems obvious enough that he's doing things that leave the door open to run again. He may or may not decide to do so (or he may have already decided he IS going to run), but all his actions make sense in that context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

My read is that Carson is a joke/gimmick candidate that doesn't actually realize he's a joke/gimmick candidate, unlike Herman Cain. I feel like Carson has been huffing too many right wing farts over the last year or two and started to believe his own right wing press.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Re: Scott Walker - how many U.S. Presidents have not had a college education?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Dr. Tough posted:

Carter and Reagan didn't go to Ivy League schools, also neither of them had a graduate education.

Yeah but Carter went to the U.S. Naval Academy. While it's not quite regarded as on the same tier as an Ivy League school academically, it's fairly prestigious and definitely regarded as on the upper tier of U.S. colleges.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Killer robot posted:

If I recall, the polling in 2008 went from "clear Obama victory" to "too close to call" from the Palin announcement until the bottom fell out of the stock market, but this was mostly because so many people didn't realize how loopy she was yet rather than because that sold well. She was just picked for being young, an outsider, and not a white dude.

It's explained since your post but it bears emphasis: Post Convention Bump is a really well known and consistent phenomenon, and an old one. The exact same thing happened with the Ferraro announcement, there was a significant post convention bounce from the DNC and Ferraro buzz that brought the Mondale ticket tied or even slightly in the lead in some polls but was a transient phenomenon and not a true reflection of the state of the race.

So stuff like the poll effects bringing a losing ticket "even" with a winning ticket for a time is just a moron magnet for people who aren't long term political junkies who should know better to get all excited about it and for political beat reporters to grind out race narrative copy.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Fulchrum posted:

no force on this earth or any other will break that pattern.

Losses big enough to shut a party out of majorities in both houses of Congress and the Executive for at least a couple of election cycle would do it, but we are gerrymandered out of the possibility of that for now, in addition to the crappy feckless campaigning by the Dems in non Presidential years.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Has Hillary had to stake out a position on the Cuba developments yet?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah but how many people on the right can't stop wanking over Bush the Lesser? For better or for worse Jeb has a lot of guaranteed votes just because of his last name. All he'd have to do is promise to be just like W and a poo poo load of levers get pulled by default.

Aside from neocons I don't think anyone would want Jeb to govern just like his brother.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I seem to recall in 2012 she was more "I'm not going to run" even as she trolled everybody because she knew she would get attention. Even if she's just stirring up the 'grassroots' so people will be stupid enough to throw into the speaking fee collection plate it's funny she's making noise that she's considering it. There are far too many people out there who will throw every dime they have at her if she were to seriously say she's running.

No. She had that whole tease with the Bus Tour Across America beforehand, so I think it was rather the opposite of how you portray it.

I'm going to guess that the idiots who will actually buy the tease are a LOT smaller in number this time, even among this stupid crowd. Even wingnuts don't like getting jerked around, and there are limits.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Three Olives posted:

I am honestly having a hard time processing this, is the Republican party honestly walking towards being anti-vacination? This can not be a real thing that is happening can it? I'm having a slow stroke, right?

Apparently yes, this is a thing, because the GOP leadership and its media outlets have irresponsibly and relentlessly pushed the "Obama for it I'm agin it, GOVERNMENT BAD" line during the entirety of the Obama presidency.

This has real effects on people's views.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I feel like it's obvious to everyone but Chris Christie that his poo poo blew up a year ago and ever since then he's dead as a doornail.

I suppose I envision his determination to press on as being a kind of mindless momentum. Ever since he got elected as Governor in a big important Blue state, his whole career trajectory has been towards the presidency. Somehow he still sees himself as President and has not allowed the carnage the past year has inflicted on his public image to register.

It seems like it will only finally register when he comes in 8th place in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina and can't get any donors to return his calls anymore, and the chair he's sitting in gets repossessed out from under him.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

This thread and others often go into detail on the very real and deliberate connection between zombie media and RW bullshit. The ones I always remember are stories of gun convention pamphlets that simply substitute the word "zombie" for UN Bluehat footsoldiers in their eerily detailed plans for guerilla warfare and an episode of some A&E Survivalist bunker show where a dad kept substituting the term "zombies" with a wink while he taught his kids how to shoot people coming out of the inner city for their sweet sweet cornflakes.

It's more extensive than that but it pretty much ruined everything zombie related for me.

Eh I always get the read that "zombie" is more a code word for "urban ferals" (i.e. BLACKS BLACKS BLACKS) than anything else.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Plus, are the other GOP candidates really going to give him a pass on Bridgegate and the rest of the festering mess Christie's left in Jersey?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I feel like it's pointless to argue the "your ONE VOTE doesn't matter" issue with V.I.L. He's gonna keep hammering that point no matter what arguments appear, and the majority of us who feel otherwise will keep beating our heads against the wall. It generates a silly volume of posts in this and other political threads. The argument goes nowhere.

Yeah, we know how you feel about my ONE VOTE not mattering. And I, and many others, disagree because of the significance of our votes in the collective, which you acknowledge and then go back to beating your drum. Sheesh.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

OK, thanks. I thought they were labeling voter's party or something.

Why are Chris Christie, Scott Walker and Jeb Bush not on this graph? Are they just analyzing underdogs or some poo poo or are those guys "the field"? Because if it's a list of long shots then where's Sarah Palin?

Looking at this list, I'm very optimistic about Hillary's chances if she runs because, my God, that's a lovely list of Presidential candidates. I mean, that's really, really bad. The GOP is going to HAVE to nominate Jeb to have a chance, aren't they? Or is there some dark horse candidate I haven't considered yet?

If Rick Perry could somehow rehabilitate his image for this go round. We have yet to see if there's anything new behind the "smart guy" glasses.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Gyges posted:

Why all the hate for sluts? Mr. Czahor have trouble with the ladies in college?

He and that Chuck Johnson blogger guy should hang out, I think they'd get along famously.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Isn't it common knowledge applying to ANY kind of job these days that any idiotic or offensive stuff you might post on Facebook or elsewhere online is likely to be seen and likely to be a liability against your application?

Wouldn't that apply times a thousand for any job in politics, either as a candidate or someone important to a campaign?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Wow. For Hillary to be even within 5 points of the leading GOP contenders in loving South Carolina has to have the bigwigs in the GOP making GBS threads their pants.

I'm sure they will have no problem ultimately winning the state in the general election, but that kind of number is a pretty lovely indicator of how the general election will go, and it suggests she will likely win important states like VA pretty easily.

No wonder they are working their anti Hillary angles so hard right now.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

bpower posted:

How do you think the Reps will try to define Hillary in the general?

How many ways can you say "shrill harpy" or "castrating bitch" without actually using those words?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I feel like right now Walker is kind of a right wing version of what righties saw Obama as: a blank slate which they could project all the right wing virtues onto, whatever they perceived those to be.

Can anyone think of anything the guy has ever said or written? He just represents Right Wing Moxie because of the labor union thing, but we have no idea whether he has any campaign skills/mojo at all until we see some stump speeches and debates.

I do find the idea of a Walker presidency disturbing because he's the ultimate cipher flunky, never been anything but a hack for big money righty interests, and he would be the most puppety president who ever pupped for corporate America.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Webb might potentially be a good candidate for the Dems but he has been so low profile since the end of his Senate career that he might wind up some kind of Pawlenty-esque nonentity in the race. Looks good on paper, but no mojo.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Can we have a specific thread about the merits or lack thereof of accelerationism? I'm guessing maybe this has been done? I feel like it's only tangentially related to the topic of the primaries at best and it's a constant and repeated massive derail.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Quidam Viator posted:

Sorry if you feel like it's a derail, and I understand. I'd start a thread, but I genuinely think it would turn to poo poo,

Yeah but I'd rather you start that thread and have it turn to poo poo than have that happen to this one.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

This would be a little more awesome if they were flashing gang signs or something.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

You're aware that Walker took a prank call from a fake Koch brother, kissed the ring and then promised to bust the unions up good for him? With planted agitators among other things.

Never Forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBnSv3a6Nh4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3a2pYGr7-k

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

gnarlyhotep posted:

lmao HP has always sucked, good job Carly for continuing that tradition

You're probably a lot younger than me, but no, HP really was one of the top tech companies for a long long time (I'm talking particularly about the 70s and 80s BTW). I don't know enough about Fiorina's tenure as CEO to know how much if any of the blame for their current poo poo status to assign to her, but it's fallen a long way.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah. Obama at least had a famous keynote address at the DNC when he began blowing up, and his stump appearances were incredible. Walker's got nothing except hero of the Great Wisconsin Unionbusting, he hasn't had to show his face on prime time yet, really. He's just Generic Right Wing Hero Cause Liberals Hate Him at this point.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

A good way to put the Walker polling situation in perspective is to consider how strong Rick Perry's poll numbers were when he jumped into the primary last go round. He was polling incredibly well and looked like he'd just step in and sweep Romney and everyone else aside.

The he began to open his mouth.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah I don't think it's a coincidence Walker is already engaged in the Palin-esque "These media people asking me questions are a liberal hit squad out to deny me my constitutional right to....something" defense. He's going to put up a hilarious rhetorical campaign based on nothing but "liberals hate me" and do something disqualifyingly stupid as soon as the heat gets turned up. Possibly at the prodding of another candidate. Hopefully Christie.

Yeah. Last time, Perry represented something to the GOP electorate. He was the God fearin', gun totin' Southern State politician with plain spoken uncompromising right wing positions, and better yet, a governor from Texas which is not only Southern but the power center of GOP politics these days. But this idea of who Perry was didn't stand up to him opening his mouth and being a dumbass, and running dumbass redneck gay bashing ads and such.

Walker represents the uncompromising right wing hero who will stick it in the eye of the liberal establishment and their union powerbase right now. There doesn't seem to be evidence of him having any real political chops right now, so while one can't be a hundred percent sure, I suspect he will blow away in the first stiff wind and the establishment support that someone like Jeb currently has will be a lot more solid than any that Walker has.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Money raising issues aside, do we know anything about whether Walker has attracted any major talent to his campaign? Any big names for campaign manager/consiglieri?

Hell, if Bachmann could get Ed Rollins to crew on her doomed ghost ship of a campaign (even though I'm sure it was just for a check and some publicity), Walker should be able to get someone decent.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

I mean I disagree with the man's philosophies, but you have to admit, gnarleyhtop has some good policies

Say what you want about the tenets of Accelerationism, Dude, at least it's an ethos.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Lindsey Graham is a 60 year old bachelor, and it sure as hell isn't because he's married to his job (He's unlovable.)

Be fair now. He just hasn't found the right... Ah never mind, I can't do it

Malloreon posted:

Does Rubio's completely fabricated "my parents were escaping Castro and seeking freedom in America" story and the subsequent admission they left years before the takeover disqualify him?

Nah, it's more the fact that he's a poo poo candidate that disqualifies him.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

A lot of the beltway VSPs were also saying it, since Ryan was (and for a lot of them still is) their conservative darling and was just young and dashing, whereas Biden's a buffoon, even if he was right.

Ryan seems to have zero national profile since losing the election. Certainly a lot less than Mitt. I suspect he and the GOP bigwigs all realize he doesn't have the political mojo for a national run.

And that backwards ball cap dumbbell photo will haunt him to his grave.

Edit: I like it that that photo, and one of him washing dishes, will someday be the question in a political history trivia game.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Weren't McCain's parents military? That's one of those things they'll say is totally different because American soil counts military bases.

The specific justification doesn't matter, the point is there's no consistency, but if the candidate is on their team there will be justifications, if the candidate is on the other team there will not.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

There has been a theory amongst the conservative crowd that McCain and Romney lost not because people rejected their ideas, or because of electoral fundamentals, or because they ran an inferior campaign, or even because Obama cheated, but because there is a great "silent majority" of Freep level super conservatives out there that stayed home rather than compromise themselves and vote for "liberals" like Sen. "bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran" and Gov. "47%". Cruz is, by all appearances, one of the subscribers to that theory, and he thinks he will be the one to awaken and motivate these voters.

Some right wing talking head wrote an article or blog post about this right after the 2012 election and it immediately took hold among the right as gospel truth. I think it fixated upon the fact that there were something like 6 million fewer voters for Romney than McCain, so rather than examine the reasons behind this there was a simple assumption that 6 million GOP voters stayed home. It would be pretty important to examine stuff like just how many GOP voters can be expected to die or become too medically infirm to vote every four years (an interesting question, given the demographics), how many actually voted but voted for the other party, etc.

But no. The true GOP electorate waits for Zombie Reagan to arise from his dreamless slumber to begin his terrible reign.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

CaptainCarrot posted:

That's an interesting 'fact' to focus on, since Romney actually got half a million votes more than McCain, while Obama lost about 4 million.

Hm. Well I'll have to look at numbers again, whatever the figures and math used I seem to distinctly remember the figure of "6 million conservative voters stayed home because we nominated Romney" being thrown around.

Yeah, and I think this was actually somewhat distinct from the analysis that looked strictly at going even harder and with greater purity with the white voters. That went something like "guys? guys? Forget about needing to make inroads with minority voters, I got some figures here that show that all we need is to wring the last little ribbon of white voter toothpaste out of the tube and we're fine!" and I thought it was promoted by sources not so marginal as VDARE.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I don't think Walker has yet shown that he has any political chops whatsoever. You can get even get elected Governor or Senator with relatively poor speaking skills and personal appeal/charisma if you have the right state and setup supporting you, but it's hard to get elected President that way. I'll grant that Walker has done it in Wisconsin so it's a bit more impressive than, say, Rick Scott winning in Florida.

Perry is a good example, the GOP nominee in Texas is elected by default so he could be a multi term Governor with very little ability to debate or do a rousing stump speech. He was exposed badly right out the gate last time. It will be interesting to see if he is much improved aside from the smarty glasses once he is no longer, theoretically, hopped up on goofballs.

I feel like much as Rick Perry represented Gun Loving Bible Thumping Son of the South/Texas which GOP voters love, Walker represents Uncompromising Union Busting Righty Who Drives Liberals Mad!, he's just a symbol and as far as I can see has not proven yet that he has any chops on the national stage. Now let him light it up in some debates or show some serious ability on the stump once he actually declares and I may sing a different tune, but I think his current position as a front runner or near to it will be as thin as tissue paper once shots begin to be fired in anger.

While I absolutely loathe Cruz, I think he has a million more times the charisma and intelligence of someone like Walker, I just think he's unelectable (I hope) because of the position he's staked out on the political spectrum.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Joementum posted:

You can convince yourself that Scott Walker can't win the nomination, especially if you purposefully ignore the rather large organization of national Republican campaigners he's hired in the last month, but the idea that Ted Cruz has a better shot is farcical. Unless something has drastically changed in the last four years (spoiler: it has not) the nomination process post-1972 is still party driven and Cruz's charisma, which means "compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others", might play to the colonial cosplay crowd (doubtful, in my opinion), but it's totally lost of his colleagues and the people with the money.

I'm not saying Cruz has a better shot. I'm saying that for all his shortcomings he's smarter and as far as I can tell a better speaker than Walker. Because Cruz has played up the role of Warrior of the Right I don't think he could ever get the money and support of Walker.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I'm.. just going to leave this here:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/25/politics/ben-carson-obama-psychopath-gq/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Joementum posted:

Sean Trende is about as honest an analyst as it gets on the right. Here's his take.

Trende tends to hold that the demographic swing seen in the last two elections was the result of a unique Obama coalition of unusually large minority and youth voters (combined with a mysterious drought of white, middle class voters) that will be difficult to replicate and 2016 will look more like 2004 than 2012. It's possible that he's correct about this and we'll need to wait for the exit polls on election night to find out. It's also possible that he's incorrect and there is a lasting demographic advantage for the Democratic party that will make it impossible for Republicans to win the Presidency without a major ideological shift. Likely, the truth is somewhere.... in the middle.

The bolded part was more or less the core reasoning behind "unskewing" the 2012 polling and didn't turn out to be particularly valid then, I fail to see why it should be given any more credence now.

• Locked thread