Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So he can rewind his own quirk time window?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Vinylshadow posted:

"Jeanist's quirk is holding up the tower, but it's hanging by a thread."

:allears:

Turns out that sentence was in fact meant to be read entirely literally.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Blaze Dragon posted:

I can't imagine Shigaraki would ever literally throw a hand at someone but if he did that'd be hilarious.

But imagine and edge case where thrown hand is dissolving its way into the core of the planet until the heat finally liquefies it and the quirk stops.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Oxxidation posted:

after seeing these latest pages, i think shigaraki turned out pretty well, all things considered

:ohdear: might be an understatement. They went all in on this.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Mirage posted:

I can see Shiggy someday getting Deku to see his side; not that everyone in the world needs to die, but that the problematic world they live in needs to be rebuilt. Young Shigeru is very similar to young Deku, except instead of being encouraged to think like a hero by the best mom ever, he was discouraged by rear end in a top hat Dad.

Shiggy's still unredeemable, though. Guy's gotta go down.

Ultimate (if cliche) twist ending: Shiggy's power was supposed to have been Deku's but got steal-swapped by AfO as a gently caress-you to Nana's family.

I’d be fine with that swap if shiggis original quirk was once in a lifetime perfect luck. I’m still of the opinion that dekus original quirk was something so useless and one shot that it accidentally let him meet All Might that day.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Kanos posted:

I don't really consider that to be a damning indictment of society in and of itself. The same thing could have happened with literally any profession, because the problem is specifically a personal emotional trauma spawning further emotional traumas. There's an alternate universe where Shigaraki really wanted to be a pro soccer player and his dad beat the poo poo out of him(while his whole family watched from the sidelines) because Nana left him to go play for the Japan Women's National Team.

Honestly, Shigaraki's origin actually feels a little out of step with the rest of the League. All of them kind of fell through the cracks of a flawed, monolithic society because due to mental or physical abnormalities they simply didn't fit in. Shigaraki's origin is entirely due to personal factors that could occur in pretty much any society. It's not even completely clear that he would have begun specifically hating heroes or All Might had he not been scooped up by AfO and molded into a murderous psychopathic weapon.

Its the classic joker "everyone is just one bad day away..." reason that resonates so well when done right.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Rhonne posted:

Did she open the door with her butt?

Do you not?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Plenty of heroic leading characters yell and scream and hit people for being unpleasant. He can grow into someone who is bombastic and rough around the edges but still makes civilians feel safe. I suspect whenever people talk about His growth they’re referring to him no longer bullying his childhood friend and toning down the aggression and toxicity with his friends and peers.

A matured Bakugou in 10 years is more like Kamina: an absolute terror of optimism and violence but with a sharp mind guiding it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Luckily Mina is too cool to end up in some lame protagonist drama

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Rhonne posted:

Deku will hook up with...*pulls name out of hat*...Hagakure! Didn't see that one coming.

The main character gets the prettiest girl is a pretty standard trope.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The weekly MHA translation trivia always is fun to read, but also gives rise to the same question every week: Does the translator do the typesetting themselves? Is it a team who get digital copies of the original in a way that they can just turn off the speech bubbles(and SFX layers layers not embeded in the drawing)? Do they get to change the aspect ratios of the speech bubbles to account for the different space requirements for the text? I love the behind the scenes stuff.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I have to assume that the second, or maybe third, guy was just a basic strengthening quirk that subconsciously laid the seed for what All-Might would become famous for. All-Might could naturally use it because he was just a quirkless swoleman and it came naturally, and Deku instinctively first tapped it because he was imitating his hero.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
He should practice by kicking the air quickly but weakly to hover in place anyway.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Blaze Dragon posted:

Vegeta fused with Goku twice. I think it's doable. It'd require a really bad situation and putting Bakugou's loved ones (...does he have loved ones?) in danger though.

Bakugo, above all else, is a hero. If there was ever a situation where he needed to fuse in order to win (and someone had a quirk who could do that) he would take that in a second. Especially since that means he can fight harder. He will just scream and complain the whole time and forever after. You don't even have to endanger his classmates or his mom (who he clearly loves)

On the other hand if you tried to convince him to save who he can and run away to fight another day he will punch you in the face, call you a coward, and save the day or die trying.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Conot posted:

Fuse with someone, I can buy, but fuse with Deku? Bakugou has chilled but the idea that he has a fight where he can't clearly delineate what he did good and Deku did bad seems antithetical to his character, especially now that he knows Deku has OfA - it was just last chapter we had him loudly gloating about the most minor victory - that Deku has to learn flying but Bakugou can already do it via explosions.

Oh absolutely. The Bakugo from when he was kidnapped needed Kirishima to tell him to jump rather then Deku. Since then enough has happened that next time he would jump when Deku calls out because he's smart enough to know better. He will never stop gloating, or acting without explanation, but the most consistent character trait that has pushed his growth is that he wants to be a hero like All Might. He's always cranked to 11 and still smart enough to know how to save people. On the arc of his character growth in the heat of the moment he will Always make the choices to try to save everyone like All Might would have. He's growing to be able to accept the competition and rise, but right now his motivation can be as shallow as "gently caress you thats why" to still do it in order to save the day.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Each twice clone can make its own twice clone and a toga clone, recursively. Imagine the shenanigans! I imagine Toga couldn't draw enough blood from a Twice clone to copy his quirk in transformation but if they were to show up prepared with dozens of vials of blood prepared ahead of time? A toga clone who is shifted into a twice clone who at a moments notice can bail and vanish into a crowd with some generic blood

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
If he had a quirk it was probably psychokinesis of nearby fire, an excellent counter to Endeavor.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Still waiting for Bakugo to unveil the official future as “Dyna-Might”. Then he starts his hero agency with Kirishima and Mina as his team.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Hot drat that's an angry bunny. I like how even when the high ends smacked her, she still had enough power to literally kick one's head off.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

The official tl is out, and I'm still kinda confused about Doc's arm - so was that nomu acting as his arm, and then it got kicked off, or something?

Also holy poo poo, now that I'm seeing the better looking version, Mirko totally gibbed all the nomu on her way in. Wow.

That was an arm getting gibbed not a head. The Nomu just has mouths all over its joints

As for the Doctors Arm Mocha jumped in from off panel and seems to have that quirk that liquefies you and teleports you a short distance with the grey water. A few panels back isn't the start of him bawling his eyes out, just the grey goo coming out of his eyes and nose. The way I read it from the panel is that the Doc starts to draw a gun with his left arm and before Miriku can liquefy it with a kick it gets liquefied and teleported by Mocha before the rest of his body follows, and Miriku ends up squishing poor Mocha's head in the following panel

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Twice isn’t dead (no body no sell) but I fully believe he was severely injured and taken out of the fight, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up in custody by whoever survives this right

Same, rather than a sword to the skull I think I got a nice sword through the shoulder and is probably missing an arm and passed out from blood loss.

I suspect most of the league will escape this ambush but Twice will be captured, and alongside AFO and Kurogiri to be yet another lynch pin in their eventual breakout.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Maybe I missed something, but isn't it still suspected that best jeanist is just in hiding for 6 months and the dead body hawks brought was just a very advanced body double? Hawks killing him for real would be kinda brutal in retrospect, but would also fit his character so i'm conflicted.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
And that game, is Psychonauts

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Deku vs Todoroki came out amazing in animation as well, not that the manga was bad, but seeing it in motion was great.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
They could have immediately teleported and recaptured him, until the moment all might showed up they're plan wouldn't have worked and neither would his solo escape. It wasn't well conveyed in either medium but that can be extrapolated.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I actually thought hawks was going to die there for a second. Gotta finally admit to myself that maybe twice is dead, but with the tide about to turn maybe the doctor can save his life so he can produce healthy clones while living out the rest of his life from a wheelchair. Or maybe his corpse becomes another highend. Dead or not I don't think we've seen the end of his quirk.

Really hoping Miriko lives but has to spend the next three or four years teaching at UA while she recovers.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Jose posted:

It's a shame because itd be funny if endeavour did kill dabi to save hawks then hawks told him who it was

That would be a trip. "hey endeavour turns out the bad guy you just BBQd was actually your presumed-dead son!"

Also is there a betting pool for Deku, Todoroki, and Bakugo having to hold back Gigantomachia from reaching the town before the evacuation is complete? I don't see anyone beating the beastly this early in the story but the three of them fighting such a high ranked threat to a standstill right now would fit.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

ZiegeDame posted:

Contrast this situation to All for One, who absolutely represents a bigger danger to the public than Twice, but is still alive because All Might is actually capable of living up to the title of 'hero' on which this entire society is built. Which is why I want to see Hawks's misdeeds exposed, so the entire rotten edifice can come crumbling down and our protagonists can struggle to replace it with something better. Because that's a way more interesting story than "Killer Cop Saves Day, Leaves Trail of Bodies in Wake."

In their epic showdown All Might wasn't trying to capture him alive, he failed to kill him because that was the win condition. Its unclear when All Might found out he had somehow survived having his skull caved into his torso like a Goomba.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

CharlestonJew posted:

IIRC All For One was also severely weakened, just not as much as All Might was

Yeah, recovering from having your face embedded in your own lungs will surely wind you.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The real Villain: Poverty and the Bourgeoisie

Unironicly

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Mystic Mongol posted:

I mean, he could also have saved them by not leading them to arrest tens of thousands of members of an opposition political party through an attack that opened with destroying a third of their compound and got crazier from there. Cementoss blew down a ten story wall of the compound that presumably contained hundreds of rooms. I hope no one was in that side of the building.

This is only the action of a moral, pragmatic society if you ignore the fact that a hundred thousand people have joined the semiconscious liberation army and are willing to fight. Society has created the problem it is now justified in deploying super assassins to neutralize. And when everyone sees the jack booted super-thugs are willing to attack people who's crimes consist of gathering as part of a political movement, do you think the fringe elements of society will get more or less radical? And what will society be justified to do to those people? I hope someone's trying to deescalate, because right now lunatics like Dabi and Shiragaki are getting a whole lot of credibility for their pro murder agendas.

Three days from now when the survivors of this attack are told by Dabi, "This is why we need to garrote anyone associated with heroes," those survivors are going to start doing some scary poo poo.

A hundred thousand people make a sizable voting block. A hundred thousand people in a cult make a very very strong voting block.

Instead we have a hundred thousand people who chose to decide that just a bit of terrorism and violence was the right thing to do. You can't be ignorant of what happened in MVA at the city, that many people talk, especcially in a cult. Maybe you don't know the extent of how violent the leadership is as a mook, but you have pretty good idea that violence is not only allowed but encouraged both from the cult teachings and from the very public (to the members) events so far. Will the survivors get more radical? The true believers will, most will be scared shitless and at least go underground or try to resume their normal lives if their a nameless mook who isn't on a wanted list. That would be a big win for the rest of law abiding society.

Blockhouse posted:

poo poo dude better just stealth drone strike the targets then

Exactly, they're making a big deal of assaulting a terrorist gathering in order to arrest them rather than just premptively murdering everyone.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Sometimes they can be super great, though. There was a scene in an old Captain America where he's fighting a bunch of Nazi Sewer Mutants in a basement on the way to rescue an old soldier's boyfriend. And while he's fighting them he all, where did these horrible nazi sewer mutants come from, and a sidekick says they've been mutated by Red Skull's evil nazi science. So Captain America realizes these are all just normal american citizens who have been mutated, and he throws down his shield and gives a super patriotic speech about how no matter what evil juices have been pumped into them, they're all still Americans! They can work together to do the right thing, which is part one stop red skull, part two find a cure. And all the mutants say "raaaargh" because they don't have vocal cords any more, but they're so moved by his faith in them that they overcome the mind influencing chemicals and follow him upstairs to fight the Red Skull and save the hostage.

That is incredibly dumb and swing the opposite way on the dumb superhero stories scale.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Arist posted:

That's definitely true.

Honestly, to me one of the more obvious and interesting issues the setting brings up is that free use of your body, using your Quirk, is policed unless you have a hero license, even in self-defense or not against another person. But apparently Vigilantes covers that? Though it sucks to me that the main series seems really uninterested in it.

If I remember correctly there are a bunch of different levels of restrictions on quirks. There is quirk licencing for using your quick for business, separate from hero work. Equivalent to getting a drivers licence for big trucks. Uraraka was originally going to do this but there would be more money in hero work so she went for that instead. You can use your quirk in self defense but the cops are still gonna question you because its still a crime scene. And what the series focuses on, a hero licence is a really big deal because it allows you to use your quirks unrestricted, in public, on other people unlike the more industrial licences. Thats a huge deal. Giving people who aren't part of the offical police force the right to use any level of force they deem necessary is a big responsibility.

The MLA on the other hand wants you to be able to use your quick on your boss to take control of the company, and for that to be the norm.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The MLA are explicitly “I should be allowed to fight my boss for the right to be the boss” social Darwinism cult of violence. It’s why trying to paint them as innocent in all this falls so flat.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

RareAcumen posted:

Horn juice is what you call the munchkin. Her father is called Spiral Energy.

Waiting for someone who's quirk is manifesting gigantic drills into a matryoshka doll of drill based robots.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Bakugo is going to find out and absolutely destroy hawks, and he'll get his heroname "start" named chapter (rather than "bakugo's start" at the end of the fight when he stops himself from taking revenge and gets him thrown to the legal system and disgraced from herodom instead.

(e; It better be Dyna-might)

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 13, 2020

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
They also speak All Might in essentially english, so you just gotta give it some extra explosionmurder inflection and you're good.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Yeah, doesn't kill them, just causes repeated minor traumatic brain injuries from the shockwaves. Internal bruising and permanent brain damage = less than lethal force.

(Never apply logic)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

TheKingslayer posted:

Yeah I mean, if I blew off the top half of someone's head with my fist I'd be pretty confident they weren't getting up.

I still have it in my head, i'm not sure where from, that he punched his head down into his chest cavity like some Goomba death sprite.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Don't need to open up any of the main casts slot's to make her the PE teacher

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

PMush Perfect posted:

Have we ever speculated on what Eri's hero name might eventually be? Her being 'The Smiling Hero' would be a really, really sweet reference to how hard everyone's worked to teach her how to and protect her smile. ...what if she also took up the Recovery Girl mantle?

Old Present Mic voice: "The Smiling Heroine, Recovery Girl! Her quirk, Rewind! Her horn stores up power which she can use to restore someone's body to a previous state by touching them! It can undo almost any injury!"

VCR Hero

High speed rewinds may cause irreversible damage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

The Lord of Hats posted:

Man, that's a really good "Everything is hosed now" chapter.

They'd better spend so much time on this when they animate it.

The proper way to do it is to respect the actual speed of the cataclysm. Whole thing 30-60 seconds of high speed expanding decay wave as the camera zooms out. This whole chapter could fit in that if you add in A few minutes of lead up of the kids Evacing the city. Then you slow down and focus on everybody's reaction once it’s over, and run credits over silent montages of everybody weeping and overcome with horror.

If you spend time on it it ruins the gut punch.