Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That actor was great on Jericho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This show did the right thing by getting rid of all of the kids except two (one of which obviously has no dialogue).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

killglance posted:

Is anyone else annoyed that they ran with the Eugene arc with rick and the prime group. The entire time with him selling the mission, they never once mentioned their time at the cdc and how they saw all the other cdc labs go offline... yeah...
I think it can be excused by the survivors just wanting some semblance of hope that they won't spend the rest of their short lives wandering a wasteland filled with hungry corpses, cannibals, and rape gangs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There was no reason for them to have kept Andrea on after they left the farm. They easily could have written in a quick scene where she gets devoured by zombies after feeling the burning farm and have been done with it. Instead it was pretty clear that in season 3 they had no idea what to do with her. I mean they spend all of this time with her sneaking around Woodbury trying to figure out what the Governor is up to, but in the end she decides she'd rather sleep with him until the plot demanded otherwise. While I liked that episode where she got Rick and the Guv to sit down, we all knew it was a waste of time since the Governor was already preparing to ambush Rick's group anyway. She did have the most fitting death: being dumb and letting herself get attacked by Zombie Nerd when she had plenty of time to escape.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

Andrea was always very jaded after Amy's death and it didn't work to have her pivot to being naive and idealistic.
Another problem I had was the big jump in time between season 2 and 3. During that time Michonne brings her back to health and they supposedly have this friendship or whatever, but we see almost none of that trust in season 3. Andrea ignored Michonne's misgivings about Woodbury and the Governor until it was too late.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They really missed out on writing him as the charismatic strongman alternative to Rick. I think they TRIED to do that, but whoever was in charge has no idea what 'subtlety' means.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The governor 'redemption' arc goes immediately off the rails when he kills Martinez. It's completely nonsensical.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I get that, but it would have been nice if they had actually done something different with the character.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I would have liked that whole arc better if he had taken power through his charisma instead of by killing off the competition. IMO that would have lent more weight to his claims that Rick's group was a bunch of bad people and that they could only trust him to do the right thing, even if it meant killing others. Instead we get him and the guy who played Charlie on Fringe going nuts until they both die horribly.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Walking Dead spinoff show is going to take place in LA.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/12/16/walking-dead-los-angeles/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

I'm actually pretty salty over there being a Los Angeles based Walking Dead spinoff. Atlanta and Georgia as a whole gets so little love from any media, and when we finally get something that's set in my home city and state, motherfucking LA swoops in basically puts up a neon sign going "HERE'S A MORE RECOGNIZABLE CITY, COME LOOK AT THE ZOMBIE CELEBS". Let Atlanta have some popularity of its own, goddamn it.
I have a feeling since it's being shot in SC that we will see less of LA than we've seen of Atlanta in the regular series

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I do think the show has greatly improved on the writing front (particularly in how they deal with character stuff) since the new showrunner took over. But there are still things they insist on doing that aren't needed (bringing the Governor back just to re-do the previous season's ending, killing off Beth in a stupid way). Sometimes the show is hamstrung with having to off characters like that. Dale's death was probably the stupidest one, but at least in that case it was mostly due to behind-the-scenes issues.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

seriously though, that's got to be the most unsatisfying death in the show. They pulled an Amy with him and he had way more development than her.
Yeah that was my main problem. It should have been earned, but instead he ends up dead from being stupid and not actually checking a room first. Even after he had already heard a zombie in the other room making noise.

Seconding the complaints that this was also a weird way to come back from break. First off, you didn't really explain very well thanks to the terrible direction, that the group decided to take Noah up to his parents' house. Then you spend almost the entire episode with Tyreese slowly dying with no real impact or anything. I really didn't like how for most of the episode he was pretty determined not to give up, but then in the last 2 minutes or whatever just peaces out because....reasons. Just a really terrible character death for someone that they never really figured out what to do with. I think Bob somehow got better character moments (and a better death) than Tyreese, which is sad, because I think Bob was also pretty wasted.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

TMMadman posted:

This is probably my biggest problem with his death. You'd think that after all this time checking the area and killing any zombies in it before doing anything would be second nature, but time and again the group hasn't done it. And time and again it has come back to bite them, literally.

I get that they can't kill every zombie they come across, but you'd think they would do it in enclosed spaces like houses unless it is literally overrun with them. The house had two zombies in it, just take the 30 seconds to kill them before you go staring stupidly at a picture on the wall.
He even looked at the closed door that had a zombie clearly moving and groaning behind it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

moths posted:

It was better than last week, at least.

It was funny that whenever anything remotely active was going to happen, it was aborted. Will the dogs hurt anyone? BANG. Will the water kill Eugine? SLAP. How do they get out of this door-barring scene? EDIT. Where do we go from here? HI, I'm a new character!

But we get a lingering sequence where Maggie can't open a trunk. We get poking through the tornado aftermath. We get lethargic zombies, and the cast dragging themselves from scene to scene.

The pacing was rough, and the episode felt like filler. Rick had a good monologue about his grandad, but I couldn't understand 2/3ds of Daryl's lines. We ate them? What?
Yeah, these are the main problems. You can do an episode like this, but it's a lot more effective if it isn't built around the cast walking down a road for about 2/3 of the runtime. I also had trouble hearing a lot of the dialog even with the sound turned up pretty high. Everyone was mumbling.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Another thoughtful and good episode and goons can't stand it? What a surprise.
Nothing about it was really thoughtful though. You can easily make the argument why characters like Daryl are having these issues now, as opposed to earlier in the show's run. I mean it's been around 3 years at this point since the outbreak. Nothing here was earned.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Which was kinda dumb since I think they were trying to show Tyreese's memories flashing before death or whatever, but he never saw that farm.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

Why did Rick bury the gun? Deus ex machine?
Chekhov's (hand) Gun

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It wasn't all that long ago that Rick lost his wife in a horrible way and had a mental breakdown. Then on top of that he thought his daughter was dead and they lost their home and many friends shortly after. All of that is before Terminus and that nonsense.

If you don't have severe PTSD after all of that trauma you are some kind of android.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I have to imagine Eugene is probably at the top of the 'dead pool' now that his story arc is over and he has basically nothing to do accept appear in background shots

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah that's my issue. The guy could kill you any time and you think now is great opportunity to refuse because you hate applesauce from being a kid?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I hope they do something where the group actually sticks around in the community for at least a season, rather than doing more wandering. Would at least create a different dynamic.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They did that with Michonne a few seasons ago. She knew things that would have been helpful, but she didn't talk because reasons.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Grin and Tonic posted:

Season 2 was bad because every character was loving insufferable.
That and stretching out the Sophia plot line forever

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Hexel posted:

Im gonna need a better explanation on how Captain Janeway and her son have held that plush community for 2 years or so.
Glad I'm not the only one who kept thinking in my brain that it was Kate Mulgrew.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jakcson posted:

Rick has kinda turned into a complete rear end in a top hat recently...
Ok but Merle killed people just because sometimes. Rick is at least doing it to survive.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wow that's some bad editing (the non-added part).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So I'm wondering how the Morgan thing is going to tie into this season (if at all) now that they are hundreds of miles away from Georgia. It has to have SOME purpose, right?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Don't think it was mentioned here, but AMC greenlit two seasons of the untitled spinoff show. The first season is only 6 episodes and aires sometime this summer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This show really does have a habit of doing a bunch of character stuff for the black guys right before they get killed (Oscar, T-Dog, Bob, Tyreese, Noah). It's uncanny.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gazaar posted:

The flail Abraham had looked like it was a metal caged halogen light on a chain or something.
Yeah it was one of those construction lights.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I find it hard to believe they would tease that for an entire season for it to end that way.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The spinoff show is going to be titled 'Fear The Walking Dead' because the people in Hollywood responsible for titling shows correctly are all dead now.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/27/walking-dead-spin-off-series-name-revealed

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I thought this was an improvement over the up and down quality of the episodes since they came back from break. There was some actual character development, where you had Rick and Glenn, among others, realizing that strength in numbers is the only real way to survive (which is how they've done it for years at this point).

I'm glad they decided to actually do something with Gabriel and Sasha, since it sure seemed like both of them were reaching the end. It was good of the writers to show that yeah, that kind of trauma is going to break a person. We saw it with Rick after Lori died, and Morgan after he lost his son.

I really hope they keep Morgan around as a main cast member for next season. Lennie James was the best thing about Jericho, a forgotten show that I really liked.

I do still think that the cast is going to have to be trimmed down, since a bunch of the 'main' group are barely getting screen time at this point.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I was pretty surprised that even with an extra-long season finale no one died. I guess they might just do what they did with the prison and off a bunch of people at once, the beginning of next season...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

spudsbuckley posted:

Um, someone did die.
I meant among main characters.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Too bad it didn't turn out to be some kind of Cult of Dubya.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

Glenn is also insanely popular so Id be surprised if they had the balls to cut him down. It would almost be like killing off Darryl.
Well I mean at this point the only characters left from the pilot are Rick, Carl, Glenn, Carol, and Daryl (not really going to count Morgan). So yeah if you off any of those people it's going to be a big deal.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

PowerBuilder3 posted:

More Fear the Walking Dead info:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fear-walking-dead-boss-reveals-796461

- parallel story rather than a prequel
- won't reveal the cause
- The main narrative drive is the conflicts within this family dynamic and how those things are exacerbated by the arrival of the apocalypse.

I'll "watch" it, but probably with a lot of fast-forwarding through the family crap.
I hope they don't mess this up, because some of the family stuff from early TWD seasons was also the weakest part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Hexel posted:

Thats cool, hes a good actor. His little mobster project with Darabont had decent reviews but got shitcanned after only like 2 months.
I think that was only supposed to be a miniseries. Or it was a miniseries that if it succeeded would go to full series.

• Locked thread