Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I will begin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leN7B4qIf5M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Does Slice still exist because that was my poo poo

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Can I post a person?

John loving Romero.

Dude cannot let go of the glory days of Doom and Quake. It's quite adorable really. If you ever follow him on twitter, it's all he talks about. Doom Doom Doom. Quake Quake Quake.

He made me his bitch once

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Pauline Kael posted:

OK, in 1994 I was in grad school and working full time at an IT job. We were hip to the internet, which hadn't quite reached the Normals yet. Wired Magazine was our bible, and we anxiously awaited every issue. Then, this:

Here come the Zippies! (2.05) In May of 1994, Wired announced that a confab of techno-pagens at the Grand Canyon in August would spark a cultural wildfire that could change America forever. It was the next Woodstock, the inauguration of a millennial culture.

Yup, that's some purestrain 90s, in both thought and appearance, right there. Feel free to chime in with your favorite Wired memories, like Get Thee To The Internet, and The Long Boom.

My favorite thing is when they predicted a lot of stuff about the Internet and it didn't come true

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

In case anyone's been living under a rock, these badass snatch-destroyers are the grandfathers of FPS gaming - John Carmack and John Romero (r-l).

Romero was eventually doomed (hehe) to create the hideous Daikatana, and dwindle into irrelevance, whilst Carmack continues to push the envelope of game engine tech and builds rocket ships in his spare time.

You laugh, but Romero dated a super model

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

"So, what attracted you to millionaire John Romero?"

He made her his bitch

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Halloween Jack posted:

Didn't he marry an 18-year-old Romanian girl to whom he had started talking when she was 16?

Probably, Romero was the weirdest dude at Ion Storm and that's an accomplishment

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I love Dune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsd5F_YEzJQ

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

I recently heard Marilyn mansons new song a few times on the local rock radio station. I wonder if parents these days are still worried about their kids listening and watching mansons shocking and abhorrent behavior.

No because people are afraid of rappers again

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Wheat Loaf posted:

There was also one on Cartoon Network called Dink, the Little Dinosaur, which is one of the cartoons I saw when I was very young, forgot about completely for about 15 years, then rediscovered via the Internet.

See also: Fish Police; The Pirates of Dark Water; The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest; Chris Colorado.

There was another one, though the name escapes me, where the only thing I remember was the opening theme, which had the main characters (a team of scientists) with a flying (?) island base who ride these flying discs through the air; I'm pretty sure their cat had an "and starring" credit or something. A likely holdover from the 1980s, I imagine. :shrug:

Real Adventures was cool because they decided to go all modern conspiracy theory stuff instead of the jungle poo poo.

Also Questworld

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Sjurygg posted:

Foo Fighters ain't dad rock. Dad rock is stuff like Gerry Rafferty and Steely Dan and BTO. goddammit I'm old

It's ok, Wilco and Radiohead are dad rock now

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

That Italo Disco revival was good but we got Eiffel instead of the other good bands

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

scamtank posted:

Wait, "Italo Disco"? I thought that those wacky Germans were at the root of all this.

All European disco made after the US quit making it is called Italo Disco. The French made Italo Disco

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Iron Crowned posted:

Goddamn, that looks terrible. Although I always got poo poo for it because my family had Macs, and Doom wasn't available until 1996, I really am glad that Bungie existed to make a drat good although highly underappreciated game called Marathon. One of my favorite things to do was change around and jack up the monster respawn rates on multiplayer maps, and use the level skip cheat to just shoot the poo poo out of everything until I died, I wasted so many hours doing that while listening to the alternative rock radio station.

It wouldn't really fly today unfortunately, because you had to read everything. On the other hand it was the first FPS that used ammo clips, and had a cohesive story years before Half-Life got all the credit. I really do recommend downloading it and giving it a go for seeing what my gaming experience was like in 1994. It's free and open source here: https://alephone.lhowon.org/

The original interface looked like this (the open source version is a re-skinned version of the Marathon 2 interface) :

Also it came in a box that looked like this (except blue) :

Marathon Infinity is one of my favorite games. To me, the Marathon games are the best told stories in video gaming. The story page still exists and it looks exactly the same. Some of my theories are up there

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The loving 2 Unlimited video is the perfect example of just how much money the music industry was pulling in at the time. They built a elaborate giant pinball set for a group mainly known for making terrible jock jams.

2 Unlimited had 11 number 1s in England

They sold 18 million copies

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

90s never coming back lol

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

If only history had gone differently.... :sigh:

What is the "musical destiny" of the 2000s and 2010s? Auto tune and...?

Self distribution

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

whiteyfats posted:

Gamepro and EGM for me.

EGM is post the most 2000s thing you can find

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I own a Steelers starter jacket

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Randaconda posted:

(For you children on the forum, Sega was a flash in the pan console manufacturer in the 90s, who attempted to market themselves as the "adult" console. Poor business decisions, along with the Genesis having few to no good exclusives other than Sanic, led them to failure)

that's extremely misleading and not true

Smoking Crow has a new favorite as of 19:16 on Mar 19, 2018

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Randaconda posted:

Nah, it's true.

Sega arcades are doing great

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ryonguy posted:

I saw it a lot more before vaping became popular. It was an socially "acceptable" nicotine delivery when somebody couldn't go out for a smoke break twice an hour, so they just kept an empty pop bottle nearby and spit oily vomit into that a few times a minute.

Here in Appalachia people still dip but now you dip and vape/smoke at the same time

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Dreadwroth posted:

Come to Florida, ive had a coworker at a hotel front desk dip on shift and keep his gross cup of toxic drool on the desk

That's just expected

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mu Zeta posted:

I knew grunge was dead when WCW had a grunge rocker parody character named Raven. His intro music was a ripoff of Nirvana's "Come As You Are" and his signature move was called evenflow like Pearl Jam's song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3vOV3Dr21E

He wasn't a grunge rocker he was a cult leader with a gang of heroin addicts who liked dinosaur jr

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

twistedmentat posted:

It is crazy to think that WCW did beat WWE for a hot second. Though I cannot remember if that was before or after they acquired Hogan and the rest?

I got suckered into WWE during that era like a lot of people, even braving one of the grosses bars I've ever been to watch PPV events. WCW though, it always seemed like 40% wrestling and 60% skits and other bad comedy stuff.

WCW had always more wrestling than WWF and while having its own problems, was somehow less racist and sexist than WWF

Wheat Loaf posted:

It was almost entirely down to the nWo storyline.

NWO was super hot but also killed WCW rip

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

DX cut a promo in blackface and raped a woman in the back of their bus in storyline

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

wwe is written for vince mcmahon

case in point: a week after he was accused of sexually assaulting a woman at a tanning salon, there was a storyline on raw about a woman wrongfully accusing a wrestler of sexual assault

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

it's your decision re:wwe

there's other wrestling companies even though americans only woke up to this like 2 years ago

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Randaconda posted:

Woah, now. My favorite wrasslin' of all time is 80s NWA

80s NWA was good, but I'm talking specifically about our current climate of the past 10 years or so where WWE cultivated this idea that if it didn't happen in WWE, it didn't matter

We've gotten to the point where people think New Japan matters and that's cool I guess

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

They didn't do that under Vince McMahon, Sr. Back then it was pseudo-NWA territory. Acting superior was a Vince Jr thing

You might enjoy Ring of Honor. Impact (formerly TNA) is good now surprisingly

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I live in the Midwest so CMLL YouTube shows are the closest I get

They even have LA Park and Cibernetico so you can pretend you're still watching 90s AAA

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

twistedmentat posted:

It is interesting that Wrestling really has ups and down. Like no one cared about it until the late 90s, then it kind of died off, then it became popular again, now it feels fairly background now.

Wrestling is making more money than it ever has in history right now

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Iron Crowned posted:

And that is the worst song ever written.

Sugar sugar

Oh honey honey

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Iron Crowned posted:

You can close the thread, as this is the most 90's thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8sZ1DWsAHE

I agree

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The only thing I remember about Poe is her brother wrote house of leaves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

AlternateAccount posted:

Is Usenet still a thing or did the spam ratio finally get too close to 100%?

depends on the board

rec.games.video.arcade.collecting and rec.games.pinball still get consistent posting