Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

In the Earth article:

quote:

This system was mentioned in the opening crawl shown during the grand opening of Star Tours: The Adventures Continue at Disney Hollywood Studios. While there is nothing in the crawl or the ride itself to suggest that this refers to the system that includes our planet Earth, Earth is pictured on Disneyland's Star Tours website.[1].

jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

redshirt posted:

Yeah, it's all in there in the subtext.

Why else does Vader have such an obvious control box on his chest - somewhat similar to the Torah?

redshirt I have to ask what the gently caress is up with the link in your AV please tell me

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Smerdyakov posted:

I know it's old hat for you guys, but I just found this thread and was retraumatized anew. It's a giant, tragic iceberg when something called "The Bounty Hunter Wars" is arguably one of the least-bad parts. I also located a rare copy of this masterpiece in my chldhood room.

loving...of course it was. It's always Han Solo.

I had this whole series, Galaxy of Fear. It was basically Goosebumps meets Star Wars, so the terrible writing can be excused by the fact that they're written for like, 8-year-olds. They did manage to shoehorn in a movie character or two into almost every single one IIRC though.

e: oh yeah and they had these awesome hologram covers too

best cameo:

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 10, 2015

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Trast posted:

That seems like something a prop guy would happily do for Samuel Jackson.

tbh if I were a props guy and they told me "this lightsaber is for Sam Jackson" I'd probably etch BAMF into the hilt without being asked to

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Lando books were very reminiscent of the original Han Solo trilogy: 80s as gently caress, very pulpy, and good fun reads. I loved the starfish robot droid and the aliens that were so terrified of another race that they made themselves devolve into basically zombies.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TheSpiritFox posted:

I hope you're not talking about Lando and the Amazing Organic Quella ship because those were some of the worst poo poo I've ever read.

Somebody doesn't like fun

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TheSpiritFox posted:

Come here let me cut off your head so I can feed your blood to the fleshy egg sacs containing my children.

No thanx gonna go cruise with some space whales cyaaaaaa

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

theironjef posted:

old Lando takes Lobot and R2D2/C3P0 and goes in a weird spaceship that is supposed to wake up a dead planet.

Yeah I dunno what the hell that one is

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fetus Tree posted:

i remember in the 90s i think somebody made a sabacc program for the pc

probably lost to teh sands of time

I had it and I played it. Wasn't too bad, and certainly satisfied young me's craving for horrible Star Wars minutiae

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

As real as

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Quadduck
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Pelikki

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 25, 2015

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I wanted to buy this so loving badly, but it was $55.

Publishing date was November 1976 (6 months before the first movie came out for you non-supernerds). TBH when my tax return comes in I may go back and buy it.

"wikipedia posted:

Differences from the film
There are several portions of the novel that deviate from the film, such as scenes that were filmed but not included in the final cut of the movie. Most notable are scenes with Luke Skywalker and his friends at Tosche Station on Tatooine. Various small details, such as the callsigns used by the Rebels in the Death Star assault, are different (e.g. Luke is "Blue Five" instead of "Red Five").

At one point, Han Solo mentions a Corellian friend named Toccnepil (Lippincot backwards). This is a reference to Charles Lippincott, the mastermind of the Star Wars marketing campaign. "Droid" is spelled with an apostrophe in the front, as the term was used as a contraction of the word "android". The references to Rebels are listed as rebels. The Imperial Stormtroopers board the Tantive IV through the ceiling rather than blasting apart a door. The callsign of the stormtroopers guarding the Millennium Falcon is THX-1138 as opposed to TK-421 in the film. The destruction of Alderaan is not described in the book, nor does Obi-Wan sense the planet's destruction.

The prologue says that after Emperor Palpatine rose to power, he was "controlled" by the "boot-lickers he had appointed to high office", implying that he is merely a victim of manipulation by Imperial bureaucrats rather than the true string puller. However, all subsequent media sources revise this, so that he is in fact the true commanding force behind the Galactic Empire.

The death of Obi-Wan Kenobi is different in the book in that Darth Vader succeeds in defeating him during their lightsaber duel, while in the film Obi-Wan allows Vader to strike him down, in order to provide Luke and the others a diversion to escape the Death Star. The novel refers to Darth Vader as a Sith Lord. Although he was referred to as this in various merchandising tie-ins at the time of the original film, he is not referenced as such in the movie. In fact, the term Sith Lord is not actually mentioned in the films until the first prequel, 1999's Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.

In the film the order of events in the final dogfight over the Death Star is also somewhat different. In the novel, Blue Leader makes two bombing runs down the trench toward the exhaust port. In the film, he only manages to make one before being shot down. In the film, Wedge's X-Wing is damaged by Darth Vader and his wingmen, thus forcing him to leave the battle since he can't stay with Luke, and then Biggs is killed outright by the pursuing Darth Vader and his fighters. In the novelization, Biggs is killed first by his ship being destroyed, and then Wedge must retreat due to a malfunction caused in the battle with the enemy fighters.

e: on 2nd look the same 1st edition goes for like :10bux: on eBay so meh

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

Written by "George Lucas" (actually by perennial novelization author Alan Dean Foster.)

Which means it's probably at least a half-decent read instead of a festering shitpile

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/315eg0/i_know_who_the_main_villain_is_in_the_force/?sort=new

This is actually a pretty well thought-out and rational theory on why Kylo Ren is really Darth Revan

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Wait what did I miss

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fetus Tree posted:

that being said, i dont think any of the ages or anything are actually in the movie

Up until like 1920 the generally accepted/legal age of consent was anywhere from 7-14 so while Lucas is still a massive creeper this attitude would have been relatively common back then

e: Jimmy's mom in Boardwalk Empire was like 13 when she had him and that didn't even necessitate a cover-up or anything. Modern concepts of civility are a lot younger than a lot of people expect.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm reading Aftermath (the first new-canon book that takes place in the months following RoTJ). The author has been relatively good about keeping the number of pointless references to a minimum, though I've seen Naboo and the Trade Federation names thrown out there so far. He's also better about not having to create ridiculous names for real-world equivalents (you can just say glass, you don't HAVE to say transparisteel - one of the less egregious examples I can come up with off the top of my head from the older books). Overall pretty decent so far, seems to be a lot more focused than some of the older books.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

elestupendojudio posted:

Counterpoint: he refers to diapers as Space Diapers. Some of this writing is atrocious. I'm trying to get through it and ignore the writing quality and style for the story within, but it's genuinely hard.

listen man if you expect competent writing in a Star Wars novel I don't even know what to tell you

the constant use of present-tense is a little weird, TBH, although I do get a chuckle from the amount of nerdrage that's probably pouring out of Wookiepedia, considering how anal they are about every single article being written in the past tense.

I do kind of like Teen Angst HK-47, but that's probably mostly because he reminds me of regular HK-47. Kind of like IG-90 in the new Marvel comics.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

HK-47 is in the new stuff?

I wish, although IIRC Bioware got explicitly vague non-answers from Disney regarding their status as canon, so it's not impossible!

One of the main characters has a repurposed trade federation battle droid named Mr. Bones that's painted black, covered with animal bones, etc. and likes to hurt people and I like to imagine it talking like HK-47 and using the"query:/statement:/etc" style of speaking

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's really dumb that they're making books and comics to bridge the gap but gotta make that green. all the people that eat this poo poo up are the worst kind of fan.

They've been doing it since before Empire Strikes Back came out.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

the celebrants on coruscant being cut down by imperial police is george lucas levels of hilarity. it's a space fairy tale not a political thriller.

and the holiday special is unmitigated trash to the point lucas wants every copy destroyed.

holiday special was a movie, I meant they've been doing books to bridge gaps since literally before there were gaps to bridge, Splinter of the Mind's Eye was a sequel to ANH before they knew they were gonna make Empire

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

i dunno how possible low budget sequel to failed star wars that was never considered as part of the larger story by the time it was published is comparable to tons of lovely media to bridge a gap between two movies that doesn't need bridging since you should be able to pick up what occurred through context when you watch the new movie.

my point is that there's about 30 years of books/comics that cover thousands of years before and like 100 years after the movies so this is kind of a random time to be complaining about 2 comic book series and like 4 books as "tons of lovely media" especially since the 2 comics are really very good

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

those were all bad too. it's all bad. the only good thing are the original three movies.

e: actually I'm changing my response to :goonsay: I hope you can understand why

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 15, 2015

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

communist kangaroo posted:

Jason Solo traveling through time with the force was dumb

wat

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Otisburg posted:

George Lucas quite naturally believes that he wrote "Starwars", when, in reality, he was told telepathically what to write in the original first three Episodes (4-6), by the very "Force" to which the films refer, and was "forced" to make only episodes 4-6, first, as a very important step in the preparation of mankind for the long-awaited TRUTH, about the real reasons for human life on Earth ("what on earth am I doing here?"), the meaning of life and its purpose, contained in "The Way home or face The Fire", from which episodes 1-3 should have been made, as I did my best, frequently, to tell him.

Unfortunately George Lucas has exercised his "Free-will"; ignored me and made Episode 1 - "The Phantom Menace"; with arrogant actors who publicly ridicule the real message and the real fans, which undermines the original theme and Divine Message; contradicts it and is mere fiction (lies), telepathically fed to him by the Dark-side force (Satan), to try to confuse everyone and undo the good (God's) message contained in the earlier three films (Episodes 4-6). This is Satan's standard-practice and very predictable. He has done it with the Old Testament; New Testament and Koran and the three major religions who claim to be based on them.

Not understanding that he was being told telepathically, Lucas thinks that "Starwars" came from his imagination, which is a perfectly normal human reaction that many people have had over the centuries. Rudyard Kipling thought that he wrote "IF"; Oscar Wilde thought that he wrote "The Picture of Dorian Gray"; Joe Darion thought he wrote the words to "The Impossible Dream"; Steven Spielberg thinks he wrote "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and the list is endless.

Although "Starwars" (Episodes 4-6) is set as science-fiction and in a distant galaxy to make it entertaining, it actually refers to this galaxy and life on Earth.

There actually was a REAL star war thousands of human years ago, in this galaxy, on the "Morning Star" [Venus] (Revelation 12 v 7; 22 v 16; Isaiah 14 v 12 in the king James Authorised Version of the Bible [which was the ONLY translation worth reading until the new "King of kings' Bible" was completed]); (Koran sura 6:76 and 86:1-4) and you were ALL on the losing side.

It is IMPERATIVE that I say, at this point, that the "Star" of Bethlehem was a SPACESHIP and that God and Christ are aliens and the Books known to you as the Old Testament; New Testament and Koran are NOT religious Books in the way that you all think of religion today. These Books are a guide/map sent by the "Force" from the Morning Star and which have been taken and used; abused and mis-interpreted by the various Religious Organisations for their own material benefit.

In the film, "O.B.1 - Kanobi" tells Luke Skywalker about the "Force" and describes it as a good energy field that gives a JEDI his power and which surrounds us, penetrates us and binds the galaxy (Universe in reality) together ("love thy neighbour") and he goes on to say that it is created by all Living things and that Life makes it grow, which is repeated later on by YODA.

In fact, the "Force" Itself is the source and Creator of Life and it is Love (not sex) that makes it grow. This small mistake about the creation of Life and the "Force" is the only mistake that O.B.1 and YODA make and everything else that they say about the "Force" and how to use it are perfectly correct.

O.B.1 tells Skywalker that he must learn The Way of the "Force" and how to use the "Force" so that he can help others and Luke replies that he has work to do and that he hates evil, but there is nothing he can do about it, which reflects and symbolises almost everyone on Earth's attitude and reply.

Once Luke has lost his human family and all his material possessions, which are the things that bind him to the Earth and he has "nothing to lose" except his human life, he decides to learn to "use the Force" and fight to put the world right, symbolising what the Disciples did (Luke 18 v 28-30).

The demonstration, where O.B.1 tells the storm-troopers that they do not need to see Luke's identification and that he can move along and go about his business demonstrating that the "Force" can have a strong effect on the weak-minded, actually works, but it works telepathically via the "Force", not with spoken words. It is done with words in the film because it cannot be shown telepathically on a film-screen.

The coffee-bar full of weird creatures symbolises many of the places you have been yourselves, full of "creatures of the night", not all of whom are really bad, but where some boast of their evil deeds and fighting ability and who pick fights with you for no reason.

Luke starts to learn to use the "Force," firstly trying to use his human eyes, then later whilst wearing a helmet with the "blast-shield" down (Ephesians 6 v 17) so that he cannot see, symbolising "blind-faith".

:agreed:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tom Brady posted:

isnt jodo kast actually admiral thrawn

or was that somehow admiral thrawn pretending to be jodo cast pretending to be boba fett

I seriously hope it isnt the latter because lol

It wasn't Jodo Kast, but for Specter of the Past/Vision of the Future, it was an imposter.

That just goes to further remind me that despite the original Zahn Thrawn trilogy being decent, Specter/Vision were both piles of hot garbage, and are directly responsible for the ridiculous Mara Jade/Luke Skywalker shipping seen in other books since.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

silvergoose posted:

No pretty sure that that was because of the original thrawn trilogy, he laid it on pretty thick by the end

Wookiepedia (echh) sez:

quote:

in the article, ComicScan: Luke-ing for Love in all the Wrong Places in Star Wars Galaxy Collector 7, Timothy Zahn stated that one of the conditions for writing these novels was that Luke Skywalker would become engaged to Mara Jade at the duology's conclusion.

I mean I know it was going on the first trilogy, but I vividly recall even 16-year-old hypernerd me rolling my eyes at a bunch of the Luke-Mara interactions in Specter/Vision.

e: also IIRC it was that pair of books that introduced Thrawn's ability to defeat an entire civilization by looking at a painting

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The one thing that bugs me about the trailer is how it seems they're going pretty heavy with the whole "nobody remembers the Jedi/Sith anymore." I can understand if they're trying to say something like "only a small number of people know about the small-scale conflict between Vader/Sheev and this new Jedi dude, for the galaxy at large they just assume the rebels beat the Empire and the whole Jedi thing was kind of kept a secret/not well publicized," but the Jedi were a major part of galactic politics for thousands of years, and I find it hard to justify how all of a sudden after like 50-60 years nobody even remembers them. I hope they shed a little more light on that in the actual movie.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I mean it's not the farthest leap ever and I could see it happening, but there are definitely some things I feel like would linger. Not everyone may have known Sheev was a Sith, but Vader was like the Evil PR Face of the Empire, and the fact that the galactic capital had a massive Jedi Council temple right next to the Senate building, that sort of thing.

To be honest I think the best way to explain it would be in books/shows/comics that examined the era between eps 3 and 4 rather than 6 and 7. I can't expect the original trilogy to provide explanations for the new movies, but "the Empire whitewashed as much as they could about the Jedi after they took power" makes a hell of a lot more sense than "After the Empire fell people just kind of forgot about the Jedi despite the #1 A+ Hero of the Rebellion being one."

Actually the whitewashing explanation would agree the most with the OT as well as the prequels since that 30-year rise of the Empire era went from "backwater alien junk merchant knows enough about Jedi to know their mind tricks don't work on his species" to "well-traveled experienced smuggler has never seen any evidence to indicate the Jedi are anything more than a spooky story."

e: someone on Reddit compiled all the dogfighting shots from the trailer and now I think I'm more excited for Rogue One than I am for Ep7 http://gfycat.com/DaringRareKrill

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 21, 2015

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Was that the one with Waru, the giant sentient meat cube or whatever the gently caress?

Yes. Also the furry meganerd equivalent of Mary Sues in the form of 4-armed aliens that are born as wolves and turn into humanoids when they're teenagers

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

https://medium.com/@robconery/luke-skywalker-sith-lord-f8a11072f246#.mp93t8guq

Seems somewhat legit actually

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also first EU re-canonization confirmed and I can live with it damnit

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Wait are the prequels really EU and therefore not part of Disney's new canon? I thought they said that the 6 movies were literally the only canon thing left except for the post-buyout cartoons like Rebels and Clone Wars?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

obv at the end of ep3 vader is calling out for the 67th clone of No

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

Hey guys a derivative work of General loving Grievous good or bad?

Did we want a fresh spin on original and exciting character General Grievous?

Grievous was IMO one of the less retarded prequel characters, though it would have been nice to get even a tiny bit of his backstory so that 90% of the people watching the movie wouldn't be left wondering why cyborg badass guy is wheezing and coughing like a lifelong smoker for no apparent reason

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hey so that new TV spot pretty much confirms Rey is Han's daughter so that's p cool I guess

e: unless it's a jarjar abrams false flag in which case :faaaaaaaaart:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Otisburg posted:

it's a nod to all the idiots who try to force their pop culture poo poo on their kids "haha look my baby is wearing a stormmtrooper onesie" "look my toddler is watching starwar for the first time, LOVE THIS, KID. BE LIKE ME" "look i made them dress up as a starwar for haloween. I DON'T CARE IF YOU'D RATHER BE SPONGEBOB STARWARS IS COOL! BE LIKE ME. BE ME dammit!"

I've been meaning to ask, what is your AV from?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hashtag GBS posted:

top gun is a great loving movie actually

This. If Rogue One ends up being "Top Gun but with X-wings" it will be unironically the best Star Wars movie.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I just realized that I can't remember a single goddamn thing about I, Jedi by Michael Stackpole. I know for a fact that I owned it in hardcover and therefore I am led to the conclusion that it was the single worst Star Wars book I ever read, so bad that I blocked it out completely.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Booblord Zagats posted:

Agreed. It has to be some one the player can project themselves on to a little without worrying about keeping poo poo in canon. Just going balls out crazy as you steal a Z-95 and start firing concussion missiles off at the Imperial Garrison's AT-STs or the Crimelord's Cloak Fighters then bailing out with your jet pack and trying to hide between buildings

They're very similar in the type of game they are, but if I could overhaul a game and make it "that game but Star Wars" I would definitely go for Just Cause over GTA. You're a rando Rebel agent sent to X planet to sabotage the Imperial garrison there, go nuts spending the whole game flying stolen TIE fighters into AT-ATs and generally wreaking havoc, because that is literally your mission.

God Just Cause 2 was such a great game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lol

Breaking Benjamin Frontman: 'Star Wars: Battlefront' Game 'Sucks poo poo!'

• Locked thread