Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Chill la Chill posted:

:eyepop: where was this? I played the n64 game and this was never part of the plot. You heard about Guri but lol sex robot?
It was in the novel (and maybe the comic series?), but not the video game.

Shadows of the Empire was a "multimedia event", the idea being that the only way to get the "whole picture" was to buy/play/read everything cross various media.
The only other comparable "event" thing I can think of was the Clone Wars stuff that came out between Ep2 and 3, and came out in roughly "real time" since the gap between the movies was 3 years and the Clone Wars spanned 3 years. It was a neat idea in concept, where a novel that came out 3 weeks after a given comic book was literally supposed to have occurred 3 weeks later, etc.

I guess The Force Unleashed was a sorta similar "multimedia event", but nowhere near the scope of Shadows or Clone Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is it available on Netflix/streaming anywhere?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

spacemang_spliff posted:

wasn't his name like Dash Render or something?

lol

the n64 game was pretty cool though
Dash Rendar, and "canonically" he didn't die.

It's been a really long time since I read Shadows of the Empire or played the videogame. The best part about the game is it laid the groundwork for the really great Rogue Squadron games.

gohuskies posted:

Dash Rendar was in the movies too, he was flying the snowspeeder on Hoth that flew in and blew up the AT-AT after Wedge tripped it with the tow cable.
And his ship is seen taking off from the Mos Eisley spaceport in A New Hope (special edition).

Groovelord Neato posted:

i just don't get the obsession nerds have with needing to know every bit of minutiae in the media they like. they comic booking of everything is mad poo poo.
I used to be like that, I made it a point to buy every Star Wars comic, novel, videogame, sourcebook, whatever, just to be "a completist". Over time it got to be too difficult/expensive to keep up with everything that was coming out - I know I bought a ton of the books following the end of the New Jedi Order (the Swarm War trilogy, and like all of that 15-book mega-event that came after that) and didn't read a single one of them because to be totally honest my interest in Star Wars was really waning. I didn't buy any of the Fate of the Jedi books because at that point I'd wised up. I just didn't care anymore, and to be honest it's kinda difficult to articulate why I cared so much in the first place.

Finally one day I was looking at all of my Star Wars poo poo and realized that I didn't care about the vast majority of it, and everything else I was never going to read again and was just taking up space. So I sold off like all of the books except for the few I cared about and I knew I'd read again (the X-wing books, the short story anthologies), all of the video games except the ones I cared about (the X-wing/TIE Fighter series, Rogue Squadron series), all of the comics except the ones I gave a poo poo about (the Rogue Squadron ones - noticing a pattern? - and the Tales of the Jedi stuff) and freed up a ton of room in my house.

And then Lucasfilm went and said everything was non-canon anyway lol
But I don't care, I re-read the X-wing comics and books because they're fun to read and I like Star Wars starfighters dogfighting and blowing poo poo up, and I'm not really bothered if it's not "The True History Of The Star Wars Galaxy" anymore or whatever.

My interest in Star Wars dwindled for a long while, even in the face of the new movie coming out and the hype train gaining speed, but I recently got hooked on the X-wing miniatures game (who would have guessed?) and having fun with that, and it's making me want to re-read the X-wing books/comics and see if I still enjoy them as much as I thought I did.

and that's a lot of words about Star Wars

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 17, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Young Freud posted:

Pretty much. It was solely a Lucasfilm Games project and wasn't canon to begin with, so the new owners have no reason to continue it.
I remember them making a Big Deal about how it was canon when it came out, because Lucas himself had a hand in its creation or something.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Holy poo poo I'd totally forgotten about that

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

An X/T revival of any kind would be loving awesome, tbh

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sounds like the Selonians, one of the sentient races from in and around the Corellian system, so probably yeah

Holy poo poo I can't believe I remember a lot of this poo poo

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I wonder how Disney will handle it's own star wars EU, maybe they'll have some quality control on the books?
In theory yes, because they're claiming everything is equally "canon" now, top to bottom.

Although we'll see how well that holds up a few years down the line when some director wants to tell a cool movie story and the Lucasfilm Story Group steps in and says "hold on now, that would contradict Star Wars comic issue #37 (which the average moviegoing public neither read nor gives a poo poo about)"

There's some old EU stuff I'd like to see "re-canonized", most of which wouldn't contradict anything if it were reintroduced.
- Shadows of the Empire (all of it)
- Much of the 3000 years BBY stuff (Tales of the Jedi comics, Knights of the Old Republic comics and games)
- The Xwing/TIE Fighter/XvT/Xwing Alliance games, and the stuff from the Rogue Squadron games that take place pre- ROTJ
- Mara Jade as a character (in a limited capacity - agent/assassin for the Empire, but don't bother with anything post-ROTJ where she interacts with Luke/Han/Leia). I just like Mara Jade as a character :shobon:
- the bulk of the Boba Fett standalone comics where he's off being a cool dude and doing cool poo poo (namely the one where he kills Jodo Kast)
- gently caress it, the bulk of the West End Games stuff that doesn't contradict the upcoming movie

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 19, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fil5000 posted:

And don't forget it's Jacen not Jason because STAR WARS
To be fair Game of Thrones is a way, way more egregious offender

I'm not saying it's not dumb when Star Wars does it, it's just a lot easier to overlook it in comparison

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yub Yub Commander.

(gently caress me, I really hope one of the characters from Rogue one is loving Wes Janson.)
I think "Rogue One" is supposed to be about the Rebels stealing the Death Star plans? (a concept that's been done so many times and in so many ways in the EU that they had to write an entire novel devoted to reconciling all of it)
I'm not entirely sure Rogue One will have anything to do with Rogue Squadron, making the title a colossal cocktease for Rogue Squadron/X-wing fans.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Groovelord Neato posted:

man furries are gonna go wild if it's about stealing the death star plans.
Are you thinking the Death Star II? That's the one with the Bothans stealing the plans that gets name-dropped in Return of the Jedi. Rogue One is apparently about the first Death Star's plans

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wicker Man posted:

Kyle Katarn is the true dude to get the plans. Just waltzed into secure areas blasting poo poo :colbert:
It won't happen, but I'd at least like to see him get a casual name-drop in Rogue One.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Trevor Hale posted:

I love Rogue Squadron but Wedge is at his goddamn beat in the Wraith Squadron books.
The best Wedge book is Starfighters of Adumar, it's seriously hilarious.

The Wraith books are way better than the Rogue books because the Wraith books are ensemble books with fun characters, while the Rogue books focus on Corran Horn, the biggest Mary Sue in the EU. Better pilot than Wedge, star investigator who unravels a massive Imperial plot that no one else could figure out, irresistible to every woman he encounters (and of course he marries the hot chick), oh and did I mention that he's Force sensitive and becomes a Jedi badass?
poo poo, I can't even name any of the other Rogue pilots in the Stackpole books other than Wedge, Tycho, and Gavin.

The Rogue Squadron comics are a lot better about being ensemble stories and giving the other pilots more to do.

The Wraith books initially set up Kell Tainer to be Corran 2.0, and then totally subverts it and makes him take the back seat to the ensemble cast. And when he tries to hook up with the hot chick, she totally shoots him down for being a goony PUA douche and its loving hilarious.

I actually only recently learned that Aaron Allston passed away last year. It's a shame because he seemed like a cool guy, on top of his books being tons of fun.
Yub Yub, Commander. :sigh:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Timothy Zahn at least looks the part for Karrde. I was impressed with how well he visually pulled it off. If they'd had Zahn portraying, like, Thrawn, it would have been goofier.

But yeah Stackpoke as Corran is the gooniest thing, especially given Corran's Mary Sue nature.

I'll always be a fan of Shannon Baksa as Mara Jade, though. She completely nailed that.

Cyberball 2072 posted:

and her hi-larious sadistic droid companions. Its got that hosed up thing where you know its real dumb but youre still entertained anyway.

That fucker shoulda been thrown out airlock somewhere, he is loving things up in about 90% of the Eu books I've read. As nice as the new republic is you think even they would have hit a point where theyre like, "this Borsk Fey'lya rear end in a top hat ruins loving everything, lets drop him off on Hoth with just a sleeping bag and tell him to start hiking and get hosed."

It'd be like if there were 50 ghostbusters books and Walter Peck from the EPA showed up in every loving book. In the last book they proved him wrong and embarrassed him in front of all his friends and associates but somehow the government keeps putting him in positions to cock things up. Oh gently caress, Peck got a legal order to turn off the ghost containment unit for the 39th loving time, that's the Borsk Fey'lya character.
If you're reading through the EU in chronological order and waiting for Borsk to get his comeuppance, keep reading.
I won't spoil it, but I was pretty satisfied with how he gets handled.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Groovelord Neato posted:

is he the reason we know the manufacturer of every ship when that is completely worthless information.
Actually I don't think he is, that honor probably goes to the West End Games RPG stuff.

At least with the Xwing manufacturer (Incom) there's a mildly entertaining backstory to it.
The Xwing fighter was originally going to be an Imperial fighter meant to increase the survivability of Imperial pilots (heavier hull, actual shields and ejection systems, 4 laser cannons, onboard secondary weapons), and when Incom finished the first batch of Xwings for the Imperial navy, the Empire went "hey Incom, we're not gonna pay you for these sweet new ships, thank you for your service to the Empire. Also please stand by as we nationalize your company."
To which Incom replied, "huh that's weird, your shipment of fighters seems to have been lost in transit (since we just gave it to the Rebels). Also we're defecting to the Rebellion now, we really hope one of our Xwings doesn't blow up one of your big superweapons or something!"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tom Brady posted:

isnt jodo kast actually admiral thrawn

or was that somehow admiral thrawn pretending to be jodo cast pretending to be boba fett

I seriously hope it isnt the latter because lol
It's the latter.

Jodo Kast was entertaining if only for his backstory. West End Games wanted Boba Fett in their RPG but we're wary of resurrecting him, so they made up Jodo Kast, some guy who uses similar armor and gets off on claiming credit for Fett's exploits, but isn't actually him.

And then Dark Empire resurrects Fett, and WEG is all "oh, poo poo".

It did lead to "Boba Fett: Twin Engines of Destruction", an awesomely :rock: :black101: comic where Boba Fett gets sick of Kast's poo poo and takes him out.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

homullus posted:

Wait, so Jodo Kast was also done in by his jetpack? Doesn't that make Boba Fett about the dumbest guy ever?
To be fair Kast was killed by his jet pack after Fett's adventure with the Sarlacc, and Fett wrecked Kast's jet pack with a space-crowbar before paralyzing him with a neurotoxin.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

silvergoose posted:

The prequel book about how Thrawn became a grand admiral was actually kinda fun, in a way. Better than the two sequels, for sure.
Which book was that, Outbound Flight?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SaltLick posted:

Why were there never any EU stories about yoda growing up? I remember reading some padawan story about obi wan and it was hilarious.
I think yoda's backstory was one of those things deemed off limits by Lucas.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

TARDISman posted:

Yeah, nothing about Yoda or his species, don't kill R2 or 3PO, and after Chewie's nephew, no Wookiee Jedi.

That last one seems like a weird, specific edict. Did he ever say why?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah, though apparently some of the new novels have already started reinserting stupid garbage for idiots from the old eu
Can you name some examples? I haven't read any of the new novels and I'm genuinely curious.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I do, hit me up if you want to trade cards and poo poo. Username is Xenomrph. I only recently started messing with it so I only have a few hundred cards, but I've been checking it daily so I grab a few packs a day with the free daily credits.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The vast majority of the EU is garbage, but there's some things that are legitimately fun and cool (the Wraith Squadron books, a bunch of the video games) that you shouldn't deprive yourself of just because "ugh, Star Wars EU".

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

You mean like Star Wars costuming guys? I'm pretty okay with it, but I'm mildly biased. A friend recruited me to dress up as a TIE Fighter pilot for a Halloween festival in Queen Creek a few years back, there were like 30 of us dressed up as random Star Wars storm troopers and pilots and scout troopers and poo poo. Having small children run up to you and shout "STAR WARS!!!!" and hug your leg while you can barely see out of the helmet is hilarious and adorable. :3:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah I've got several friends who are 501st costuming group members, and a lot of them are crazy talented creatively and mechanically. They do charity events, visit sick children in the hospital, etc.

All in all I think they're good people. :shobon:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Chill la Chill posted:

I've met a few who were into the "Wehrmacht"/southern pride/rebel flag poo poo and it seemed p cowardly of them to not just go whole hog with it
Oh well that's hosed up, for sure.

I mean I'm sure there's some shitheads in the 501st, but in my experience they're largely stand-up people.

655321 posted:

True, I have actually wanted to pick those up recently, and I probably will. I've played quite a few of the video games and have enjoyed them, I just had never considered that they were EU.
Yep, if it's not a movie, it's EU.

It happens less often, but some of more mainstream EU (novels, comics) reference stuff from the games.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Someone is campaigning hard for mod/admin I see
Wait what?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Good idea to make a mod who goes rabid every time those dirty liberals eye his massive automatic weapons.
I am so confused?????? :confused: :ohdear:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I know in the old EU there was the Imperial propaganda line about the Death Star 1 was an Imperial mining space station that the Rebel terrorists destroyed (killing thousands of innocent Imperial civilians onboard in the process) or something, but what was the propaganda handwave for Alderaan getting fragged?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Chomp8645 posted:

Mining accident.
Hell of an accident :stare:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm just waiting for him to see the light of reason and re-canonize the good stuff (super Old Republic stuff, Rogue Squadron games, X-wing/TIE Fighter games, Wraith Squadron, anything Kyle Katarn, Shadows of the Empire)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Was that the one with Waru, the giant sentient meat cube or whatever the gently caress?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

We're going to have to agree to disagree I guess, especially on the Xwing/TIE games.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Peebla posted:

So why is he telling this to the wookiee perv leering at him in the first panel?

E: or is that a severed head on his mantle? I can't tell.
Context: he's sitting in a space-Denny's, talking to Mace Windu. He's sitting in a booth (in a child's booster seat, no less). The wookiee head is the patron in the booth behind him.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Groovelord Neato posted:

that comic misunderstands the one thing Lucas was right about. the balance isn't 2v2 it's the elimination of the sith (the dark side is a perversion the "light side" is the natural state)
It isn't so much misunderstanding it as its intentionally reinterpreting it from a different point of view (that the Jedi "chosen one" prophecy is wrong, or at least misinterpreted), and ultimately Yoda ends up being right -at the end of the day, there's 2 Jedi (Kenobi and Yoda) and 2 Sith (Vader and Palpatine).

Who is controlling the galaxy (and whether they're good or bad) isn't part of the prophecy -you could argue that Palpatine or someone like him could have formed the Empire without the use of the Force, seeing as how the Empire itself does a fine job of subjugating the Galaxy and making insane super weapons without the use of the Force.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

RFC2324 posted:

^^^ I thought Luke was actually the Chosen one, they were wrong about it being Anakin(Luke brought balance by destroying the Sith after all the Jedi were gone)
"The prophecy" is so vague and poorly defined that it could mean a bunch of different things. That was Yoda's point in that comic, that the Jedi putting all their faith in it and going full steam ahead could very well lead to their downfall (and it does).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Also first EU re-canonization confirmed and I can live with it damnit

*Technically* not EU, it's on Boba Fett's armor in the movies. It's on his left shoulder.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Chill la Chill posted:

I really hope they don't resurrect boba Fett in these movies. He's dead and people should get over it.
gently caress that, Boba Fett is the coolest and survives the Sarlacc and I will cut you if you think he should stay dead :fsn:

But gently caress all the Karen Traviss poo poo

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 24, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Improbable Lobster posted:

Vader gives him Han and then he goes out like a chump.

Cool armour only goes so far

I will cut youuuuuuu

Also who do you think tracked them to cloud city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pook Good Mook posted:

I too owned Tales of the Bounty Hunters. But as it is no longer canon I have since burned it. Must stay pure to the source material.

But holy poo poo, googling it, apparently they ALREADY alluded to his possibly getting out of the Sarlacc in the newest novel meant to set up the new movie ("Aftermath"). They couldn't get past THE FIRST loving NOVEL before they started making the same mistakes again.
Can you elaborate on this? Boba Fett surviving is an objectively good thing, death to all heretics who disagree

• Locked thread