Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I saw on the first page that people were wanting That Mitchell & Webb Look, and I didn't see anyone mention the whole show is on Hulu for free. It has been since before it was taken of US Netflix. It's all good quality, so you don't have to deal with youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Netflix has the documentary Out of the Clear Blue Sky. It's a documentary about the firm Cantor-Fitzgerald, whose offices were on the top floors of the North WTC tower. I can't really make and comments about the reason for making the documentary, or the sincerity of its management; but it's pretty interesting. Every single employee that went to work that day died (~650-700). I just tried to imagine what that'd be like for any business.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Trillest Parrot posted:

I loved watching David Cross gently caress up exponentially in The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret. All 12 episodes are on Netflix US and Will Arnett is also in it. It got renewed recently after being off air for a few years. Don't read anything about it, there's spoilers loving everywhere.

It is a great show. I almost didn't give it a shot past the first episode, but it gets better with each one. It kind of relies on its own web, so you need to let it build up for a couple eps.

And yeah, if you like mysteries, you probably will just be annoyed by Gracepointe. It's like how in those Final Destination movies, you'd see a slow build up of hazards and dangers leading up to some Rube Goldberg-style way for the character to die, but then it doesn't happen, and they get crushed by something completely unrelated when they step outside.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 08:58 on Dec 25, 2014

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

wormil posted:

the only reason I did was to see if there would be a payoff in the end. I don't think I'll watch a second season.

Well there's yer problem. No, I would never recommend that someone keep watching a show that they've tried and dislike; but that payoff definitely exists.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

jodai posted:

Also Comedy Bang! Bang! Season 3 is finally out on Netflix

:swoon:

I don't really have a recommendation, but I watched Dino Fish and I hated it. I thought it was going to be a documentary about the ceolacanth, but they spent the entire time trying to add suspense. Like they talked more about how the divers could DIE AT ANY MINUTE more than the damned fish.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Vulgar posted:

Netflix just added The Interview.

I had a sneaking suspicion it would end up there eventually. But a month after it's opening weekend, that's kinda nuts

I don't know how many times I can click "NOT INTERESTED" before Netflix gets out of my face about it.

Hulu has an original called QuickDraw, which I love. It's a comedy western set in like, the 1870s; but everyone talks as if they're completely cognizant of how backwards justice and frontier living is at that time. I definitely laugh, chortle or snortle on every episode. I don't hear anything about it anywhere, so I worry no one is watching it.
I couldn't find many clips, but here's a couple.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/522156
http://www.hulu.com/watch/690598#i1,p0,d1

Comedy Central's Broad City is on Hulu now too, and that's really drat funny.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 04:29 on Jan 27, 2015

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

ninjahedgehog posted:

By Jupiter's cock! Spartacus is up on Netflix!

poo poo yes!

I first saw the first season of this on Netflix, and then they actually showed the pre-quel season same-day as it was airing. I've never seen that on Netflix, but episodes came out the same day as they aired on TV. Then it was gone... just, gone.

Spartacus actor 2 can't hold a candle to 1, but the show's good enough, it's OK. Naevia 2 can just go die somewhere though.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Halloween Jack posted:

Yes. That is a perfect description.

Another one, I think, would be to say that it's Not Another Teen Horror Movie, but without announcing itself as a parody movie, and with more character development.

Also, Josh Hutcherson was Executive Producer for that movie. At 19 years old. Jesus Christ.

It's hard to encapsulate that movie - not to like oversell it or anything, but it's really unusual.

It's like a parody of teen horror, while also being a parody of a teen horror parody, [plus 2-3 meta-layers], and in addition, it's not a parody.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Bussamove posted:

I watched it and then immediately watched the original to wash the taste out of my mouth.

More important than stupid remakes, Robocop and Robocop 2 are both on Netflix and are both still excellent for all the right reasons.

Netflix JUST axed Robocop 2 and 3 unfortunately.

I had completely forgotten about the show Grounded for Life until it popped up recently.

I may be just watching out of nostalgia, but it's a pretty serviceable sitcom if you ask me. I consider it right at like, the death of sitcoms? You know, before Everybody Loves Raymond and the rest of the "after-death" sitcoms. I'm not explaining what I mean well, but sitcoms for the last 10 years feel like vestigial zombies of the genre.

Anyway, I think Grounded for Life is full of all that 90's sitcom garbage that hasn't aged well, but it's also got a lot going for it. The casting is great, and there are some good gags in every episode. It goes from being a "lol 90's" show to one with more modern references by the end. It's just kind of a weird hybrid show I think. And Uncle Eddie is one of my favorite sitcom characters.

If you just want an upbeat show to just have on that you don't have to overfocus on, it fits that bill. I also had completely forgotten how big Donal Logue was for a few years.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 04:37 on Mar 3, 2015

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

drk posted:

If you liked 30 Rock, go watch Tina Fey's new netflix show Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. It's fantastic.

I wasnt grabbed by the trailer for this show, but after 2 episodes, I really like it. I think this might be the best possible role for her.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

The one episode of Archer Season 5 and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt I watched today both referenced Bunson Honeydew, the muppet. That was so weird for me.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Oldstench posted:

Chef was much better than I thought it would be. Sweet without being overly cloying. Even the obvious re-marriage happy ending wasn't that bad. Plus Scarlett Johansson and Sofia Vergara are ridiculously hot throughout. I'm worried that Jon Favreau is just going to explode at some point in the future though.

My sister is visiting, and on a whim we put this on. It was really great. It's an existential comedy/drama that doesn't get too far up its own rear end. I'd recommend it to almost anyone. Every character is enjoyable, and saying that about Sofia Vergara's character really means something.

Bloodline was... different. I liked it a lot, but I feel like I can't recommend it to anyone. It's long, and slowwww, and I can't tell if one of the leads (Danny) is a great actor or a terrible one. I might have just really liked it because Coach Taylor and Lindsay Weir are in it. It's a dysfunctional family drama/mystery that gets darker as it goes on. It's full of flash forwards that lead you on about a inevitable, unpleasant climax.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Re-watching 3rd Rock from the Sun. It reminds me how impressed I was at how long they could run with that gimmicky premise.

Also the new season of Louie is good, and it's crazy how bad he is at passionate romance scenes. I'm sure that's intentional - like to make it awkward as possible, but it gets so awkward that I think it hits an extra, not-intentional level of awkward, if that makes sense.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Ryoshi posted:

I always hated the show when it was on but my fiancé put it on while we were playing some board game and I got kind of hooked. It's weird that it is simultaneously 90s as hell but still has aged well.

Yeah, there's a lot of talent on that show. And 15 years later, I don't even mind as much that French Stewart is just a low-rent Kramer.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I really like the BBC nature docs Earth: The Power of the Planet and How to Grow a Planet, both narrated by Iain Stewart. I've always loved the David Attenborough documentaries, but these are some nice ones that don't really revolve around animals. They're just solid series about the evolution of the planet via various planetary forces and plant life.

Also, I couldn't sleep right for a year after seeing Earnest Scared Stupid.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

If the rest of Comedy Bang Bang season 3 doesn't come out soon, I'm just going to pitch a fit.

If you like depressing movies, check out The Homesman. It's about a tie between this and The Wrestler for the most depressing movies I've ever seen. I wonder now if Hilary Swank is type-cast as characters who just get poo poo on a lot.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Reign Of Pain posted:

I really liked The Homesman. What did you think of The Road?

I liked the Homesman too. I just wish I didn't watch it right before bed. I'll check out The Road and get back.

I'm not a huge Anthony Bordain fan - I dunno what it is about him. It's like he really wants to sell himself as both a foodie elite and a salt-of-the-earth figure. Jury's still out for me. But I do love his The Layover series. Really gives a cool insight from locals of each place he goes about the types of places and food you might look for if you visited for a day.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

jodai posted:

The second half of the 3rd season of Comedy Bang Bang is finally up! I know a few of us were waiting for this.

Oh, thank you thank you.

I saw Other Space on Yahoo, and I really got a kick out of it. Seeing 'Joel' with Trace Beaulieu voicing another cheesy robot really hits the right spot for me. And that AT&T girl is a nice surprise, I thought she was really funny in it.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Watrick posted:

I watched the first two episodes of Bojack and it didn't really catch me. Parts made me laugh, but I don't feel compelled to watch the rest of it. Is it a show that you need to watch all of for it to click? Or is it just not my speed? Should I give it a few more episodes before I throw in the towel?

I'm generally opposed to telling people that don't like a show to "keep watching"; but, keep watching. Even if the show doesn't hit you right, it gets props for really being distinctive compared to other adult-ish cartoons from the past 10-15 years. The show keeps impressing me, and season 2 is even better.

Also, I think I just figured out that Road House and Tombstone are both the same, exact movie but in alternate universes, with a nexus at Sam Elliott.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

kcroy posted:

She is clearly old enough to consent AND she is sober AND she has condoms! But seriously though that episode just had me cringing the whole time, and wondering if he has any sort of redemption arc, or its just him being a piece of poo poo eternally. When he went in and left the door open I was like no..no ... no.. PLeASE NO...

I dunno. I feel like if you 'redeem' Bojack, the show is over. I feel like the show will have failed if we leave it thinking that he's not at least 51% terrible.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Star Trek Chat - I just noticed its all on there.

Did Enterprise ever get good enough to watch? Anything worthwhile there?

And if you had to choose between Voyager or Deep Space 9, which would you watch?

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Got some good input on Star Trek. I'm super into TNG, so I feel like DS9 is the way to go now, with a continuing story that's in the same general realm. Voyager is in some far off quadrant right? Yeah. I'll see'em both.

TNG so good y'all.

I want to contribute, but I really don't have anything noteworthy I can find. Soo... Crocodile Dundee is up?

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

casual poster posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for weird comedy? Something like comedy bang bang. Is that surrealist comedy?

Obvious next option would be Portlandia, if you haven't seen it.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Bussamove posted:

Overall a fantastic ride though, and David Tennant plays a crazy villain well.

So hype for Luke Cage now it's not even funny. The actor they got for him is great.

David Tennant's character is completely terrifying, I love it. Not that a comparison is necessary, but I didn't love Dare Devil, and it made me hesitant to give this a try - but I'm glad I did. It's just got some more interesting character stuff going on, and doesn't have as much/any really bad acting.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I actually loved A Very Murray Christmas. It's getting mixed reviews and a lot of people say it's lacking a "Christmas Spirit", but I think it's there. I think it's kind of aimed at a lonely Christmas type. In my 20's I spent several Xmases by myself, and the tone of this really hit me the right way.

Got a little dusty in here during a couple of the songs

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Ryoshi posted:

Is this hilarious? It looks hilarious from what little I've learned about it through Internet osmosis.

For me, I had just heard "It's about a guy so strong that he beats enemies in One Punch and is depressed", and I knew I had to see it. Not disappointed.

I'm going to recommend Dinosaur 13 on Netflix. It's a documentary about a big story from around my home town in the Black Hills of South Dakota. It tells of the discovery of "Sue", the largest, and most complete T-Rex ever discovered, and the ensuing, absurd legal battle over who owns it. It's got some nice shots of the Black Hills and prairie, and it's kind of an outrageous legal story in general.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

jodai posted:

Love is on Netflix. I really like Gillian Jacobs and Paul Rust from other stuff so I want to like the series but I haven't gotten to sit down and watch it yet.

I'm really digging it. I like those actors, plus there are a ton of other great comedians in there. Kyle Kinane, Milana Vayntrub, Claudia O'Doherty, Brett Gelman, etc, etc. With the cast, I have pretty high expectations, but I'm really enjoying it.

Also Breaking Bad was a super slow burn - save the pilot and some moments with Tuco - the first 2 seasons. Not that that's a terrible thing. Netflix's Bloodline is nothing but a slow burn, but I liked it fine. It's a good, get-ready-for-bed show.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I almost missed it, but for your Blue Mountain State fans, I just saw the movie Blue Mountain State: The Rise of Thadland is up on Netflix.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I've been watching this Roseanne ""Collection"". It's kind of super annoying.

It's reminded me that it was actually a really funny show. But there are currently 50 episodes on it, and they're all in random order!? It's seriously as if you ordered the episodes right, and then hit a randomizer. In these episodes, Rosanne and Jackie are both pregnant, and episodes just keep jumping from "I'm sick of being pregnant" to, "I just got pregnant!" to "This new baby is hard" to "Hey, I'm thinking of getting pregnant."

If I hadn't watched the poo poo out of the show as a kid, I'd have know clue what's happening.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Palpek posted:

I noticed that Rick and Morty is now on Netflix and EVERYBODY should watch that.

This was such a tease :(

Hey, anyone know of any tricks or browser add-ons etc that would force Netflix to play in HD before starting? Netflix wants to play my show immediately which I can see being useful. But it often starts in a really low resolution, and if it took 5 more seconds to load, it would show up in HD. I usually have to reload it to get it in HD. Not a huge deal, but I'd rather it just take the extra time to load properly.

I've seen some old articles about right-clicking the video and changing some settings, but that doesn't seem to be an option for me over various browsers.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Yeah, it's not a huge deal. But it stays in low res for minutes if I don't hit reload. I'd rather live with 5 seconds of loading than 3 minutes of blocky, hard-to-watch video.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I remember watching a 'making-of' of that sound effect. It was like: blue whale; lion; train;

snore; eagle; bicycle horn, etc

Just a bunch of poo poo. I love it.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

It's improv so it doesn't have to be funny.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I picked Sweat Bean at random. Japanese movie about a small shop owner and an old woman he hires.

It's very pretty, and maybe half-as action packed at Jiro Dreams of Sushi (though it's not a documentary); probably the closest thing I can think of to taking a nap while still being awake. But if you like movies that are really tightly made and show a lot of restraint, it's a good one.

There's a part or two that can really tug at you, I welled up a couple of times.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Rolo posted:

I had somehow never seen Good Will Hunting until recently on Netflix.

I really really like that movie.

Yeah, it's great.

That Michael Bolton special looks super click-baity to me. Like 'wow so crazy, michael bolton!'. Anyone seen it? Worth watching?

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Hannibal Smith posted:

It was written and directed by the Lonely Island and Scott Auckerman, so if you like that style of humor you'll enjoy it. It felt like an hour long episode of the Comedy Bang Bang TV show if that gives you any indication.

And if you haven't seen the Comedy Bang Bang TV series, that's on Netflix too!

Oh... oh I have seen comedy bang bang - and I can't get to work without the podcast. Will be checking it out, thank you.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

2nd season of Love is out on Netflix.

I liked the first season well enough. It's full of comedians I like, but the second season was a huge step down except for one or two episodes, and some isolated moments. I think I have a low tolerance for episode after episode of Apatow-style 'people with no chemistry apologizing at and forgiving each other' over and over.

I got that Mickey and Gus are basically opposite, so it makes sense they things are awkward; but even if it was intentional, the lack of chemistry keeps any scene from being effective. I makes me think of Parks and Recreation, and how Rashida Jones and various model-hot women just couldn't act well enough to pretend to be attracted to Aziz Ansari.

Good things are that there's more Claudia O'doherty, and episode 7 was pretty good I thought. Also, Paul Rust is a more capable actor than I would've expected.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 02:23 on Mar 12, 2017

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Dave Grool posted:

Is there more Kyle Kinane? He was great for what little he was in the first season.

No. :(

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Rolo posted:

These are up now, I'm currently watching Space Mutiny. It's different than it used to be in that it's handled as a show now, so it has episodes inside of one single Netflix entry instead of 20 separate movies. This is a good thing in that certain episodes won't slip through the cracks while browsing Netflix's sometimes-dumb menu system.

April 14 is when the :siren:NEW EPISODES:siren: are released.

Ooh, thank you! And they've grouped them like a show this time, that's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I feel like I got pretty quick what Haters Back Off was going for with so many absurd characters, and I was totally down for it. But it just didn't really hit the mark for me.

It felt kind of - I don't know the right word - 'disingenuous' to make everybody completely ridiculous, and then whip back to pin the drama on the one normal character. Like you can't tell the audience to be whisked away into that wacky world only to then treat the way that world affects a normal person seriously/dramatically. If that makes sense?

I didn't mind it though; I'll probably give season 2 a try when it comes.